OG Dragon Ball On Disney XD? Yay or Nay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: OG Dragon Ball On Disney XD? Yay or Nay?

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:Right, but I do feel the edits needed for Dragon Ball, mainly making General Black's lips smaller, might be a bit much. It was too much to do in Kai for Mr. Popo, so.they didn't dl it, which Nicktoons didn't seem to mind back in 2019. However, I fear with Disney's more clean cut and dare I say PC image at times, they might need to do that to appease Disney. The character does appear in only one arc, but he does appear a lot. Editing violence and such is one thing, but actually editing the design of a character is a hige task in animation.
Well, effectively what needs doing is that the outer lines around his lips need erasing, and the colour of his lips needs changing to match the colour of the rest of his face. Not exactly easy, but really, the only edits outside of this that DB would need are dialogue changes and parts that need to be totally cut, so this job being required for all Black's scenes isn't that bad.
I suppose it's feasible, but it would be difficult. That, to me us the only real hurdle. Of course, his named would have to be chanted, but other than that, it would work on the network. In fact, given hiw it treats its two animes on there now with nesr dialy repeats, they could honestly turn those repeat days into premiere days.

Honestly, while I would love for the OG Dragon Ball to return to Toonami, it hypothetically being on something such as Disney XD wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Well, it'd be Disney XD in this hypothetical, so no reason Funi couldn't produce a TV edited master with altered dialogue and visuals that fixes all this.
Very true, but blt entirely sure they would think it to be worth the hassle.
They always have produced edited TV masters for this purpose, so no reason to think they wouldn't this time..... TFC has one...The movies all have ones...
Citation needed for TFC, the Battle of Gods movie, and the Resurrection 'F' movie. We know Super has one thanks to the Toonami Africa airings, but has edited TFC ever aired anywhere... or even been confirmed to exist? I didn't think edited versions of the BOG and Res 'F' movies even existed!
Last edited by Danfun64 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:TFC has one
Citation needed. We know Super has one thanks to the Toonami Africa airings, but has edited TFC ever aired anywhere... or even been confirmed to exist?
I think people just assumed it existed because Super has one.

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Citation needed for TFC, the Battle of Gods movie, and the Resurrection 'F' movie. We know Super has one thanks to the Toonami Africa airings, but has edited TFC ever aired anywhere... or even been confirmed to exist? I didn't think edited versions of the BOG and Res 'F' movies even existed!
The movies, I'd be willing to say "Okay, fair point" if no evidence actually suggests them ever having TV edits(Though, I would assume they would. All the other movies and such do, so it'd be weird to leave them out, but sure, I'm willing to drop that one), but Kai and Super both definitely have edited masters, as do all their previous DB dubs, so TFC not having one would make no sense, especially since they recorded the dub several years before it ever aired, giving them plenty of time to record as much extra material as they could ever possibly need for an edited master, compared to all their other dubs being recorded a lot more down to the wire, yet all of them still having TV edits produced.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:
Very true, but blt entirely sure they would think it to be worth the hassle.
They always have produced edited TV masters for this purpose, so no reason to think they wouldn't this time..... TFC has one...The movies all have ones...
Citation needed for TFC, the Battle of Gods movie, and the Resurrection 'F' movie. We know Super has one thanks to the Toonami Africa airings, but has edited TFC ever aired anywhere... or even been confirmed to exist? I didn't think edited versions of the BOG and Res 'F' movies even existed!
I can't speak for Battle of Gods or Resurrection F, but I got to ask Sabat about the edited TFC dub when he came to a con in my area, to which he replied that they do edited versions of everything. I have video of it here. Maybe we can assume that edited versions of BoG and RF exist based on that, but TFC is pretty much guaranteed since I asked about it specifically.

By the way, I apologize if anyone here would've liked to have seen this earlier. I couldn't bring myself to upload it at the time, especially since I wasn't sure if many people would even be that interested in this information, so I just kinda forgot I had it until I saw this conversation.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:I can't speak for Battle of Gods or Resurrection F, but I got to ask Sabat about the edited TFC dub when he came to a con in my area, to which he replied that they do edited versions of everything. I have video of it here. Maybe we can assume that edited versions of BoG and RF exist based on that, but TFC is pretty much guaranteed since I asked about it specifically.

By the way, I apologize if anyone here would've liked to have seen this earlier. I couldn't bring myself to upload it at the time, especially since I wasn't sure if many people would even be that interested in this information, so I just kinda forgot I had it until I saw this conversation.
Thanks for the upload, man. :)

I would think that "Everything" would include the movies, but I'll leave that particular point alone. Good to have something to point everyone to in terms of "Yes, there's an edited version" for future convos, and I'm glad this is finally cleared up definitively. So, thank you very much. :)

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm

They could probably get away with airing the Kidmark/BLT dub of the Pilaf arc, but not the edited version Toonami aired of the in-house dub. Kidmark carefully scrubbed away questionable stuff regarding Master Roshi or Goku's behavior through the writing process and digital editing. Funimation put some of this stuff back in and Cartoon Network let it slide at the time.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:07 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote:They could probably get away with airing the Kidmark/BLT dub of the Pilaf arc, but not the edited version Toonami aired of the in-house dub. Kidmark carefully scrubbed away questionable stuff regarding Master Roshi or Goku's behavior through the writing process and digital editing. Funimation put some of this stuff back in and Cartoon Network let it slide at the time.
Only problem is that it's only 13 episodes, and while it would be interesting to see that dub back on television, it would be very limiting.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote:They could probably get away with airing the Kidmark/BLT dub of the Pilaf arc, but not the edited version Toonami aired of the in-house dub. Kidmark carefully scrubbed away questionable stuff regarding Master Roshi or Goku's behavior through the writing process and digital editing. Funimation put some of this stuff back in and Cartoon Network let it slide at the time.
The reason Funi was lighter on the censorship than Kidmark/Trimark/BLT were is because it was 6 years later, so TV had become more lax. Remember, the TV edit of the in-house DB dub was produced in 2001. If anything, I think it'll probably be found to be more censored than it needs to be for modern airings. Also remember that the target audience Funi had in mind in 2001 was quite a bit older than who they were targetting for DB in 1995.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:02 am

Robo4900 wrote:
The reason Funi was lighter on the censorship than Kidmark/Trimark/BLT were is because it was 6 years later, so TV had become more lax. Remember, the TV edit of the in-house DB dub was produced in 2001. If anything, I think it'll probably be found to be more censored than it needs to be for modern airings. Also remember that the target audience Funi had in mind in 2001 was quite a bit older than who they were targetting for DB in 1995.
You're telling me how American TV has become more lax, yet you live in the UK.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:19 am

DrBriefsCat wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
"The reason Funi was lighter on the censorship than Kidmark/Trimark/BLT were is because it was 6 years later, so TV had become more lax. Remember, the TV edit of the in-house DB dub was produced in 2001. If anything, I think it'll probably be found to be more censored than it needs to be for modern airings. Also remember that the target audience Funi had in mind in 2001 was quite a bit older than who they were targetting for DB in 1995."

Home-grown American here. Does it sound better coming from me?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:34 am

DrBriefsCat wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
You're right. Let me rephrase the two or three words it takes to fit this to this situation...

"The reason Blue Water was lighter on the censorship than Kidmark/Trimark/BLT were is because it was 8 years later, so TV had become more lax. Remember, the Blue Water dub was produced in 2003. If anything, I think it'll probably be found to be more censored than it needs to be for modern airings. Also remember that the target audience Blue Water had in mind in 2003 was quite a bit older than who Funi were targetting for DB in 1995."

And you're right, changing this to fit a UK perspective completely and totally changes the entire context and meaning. :roll:

I realise I'm just being snarky at this point, but given you're not arguing with my point, but arguing with the specific way I'm arguing it, this is about all I'm willing to do in response to what you just said.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:34 pm

The point I was trying to make earlier was that the Kidmark and Funimation dubs were made for different types of TV markets in the US. The Kidmark version was aimed at
over-the-air broadcasters which is monitored by the federal government and has much stricter standards than cable. Cable networks like Cartoon Network aren't regulated and therefore censor according to their sponsors. This was why the Ocean dub of Z's first two seasons was edited so much more heavily than the later seasons. Cartoon Network could let a lot more stuff slide as they weren't being monitored by the same media watchdog groups.

Disney XD is known for being more kid-safe than CN and doesn't push the envelope as much. The Kidmark edit of OG DB was meant to be non-controversial and could air on any network, while the edit CN aired had a lot of things that may not fly on another company's channel with different standards.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:44 am

In sexuality sure! I dont think CN has any patience for Roshi's antics. But in a way Robo is right, he lives in a country where CN, Disney AND Nick are even more censor happy and he still believes OG Dragon Ball can make it on Disney XD with a PG V Rating and I think that's true. Yokai Watch gets away with some pervy jokes and fanservice but I know Roshi could never work for any kids network uncut. If Dragon Ball Z Kai worked on NETWORK TV why not Disney?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 am

Never going to happen unfortunately. Too mature for Disney XD, and frankly it’d be a waste a money to spend their cash on a show as old as that. Also, Disney XD is a dying network like a lot of other cable networks are.

The only slightest chance of OG DB returning to cable TV is if Toonami puts it at the end of its block where the classics usually are, but that’s probably never goint to happen either.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 am

I remember The Fresh Prince of Bel Air had a rerun on Disney XD U.S but for a short time. Only episodes from seasons 1-3 could be aired since later seasons featured content deemed either too mature or inappropiate for young viewers, such as sexual references or strong language and ironically, the rerun was aired at late nights. :shock:

In Dragon Ball's case, I'd say it's unlikely for the series to be on Disney XD since the network standards wouldn't allow it... unless there's some kind of edited dub that removes all that's inappropiate.