OG Dragon Ball On Disney XD? Yay or Nay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: OG Dragon Ball On Disney XD? Yay or Nay?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm

sintzu wrote:All ? no, as the other movements are just as bad but when it comes to entertainment there's no denying that the far left movement has more of a say over what does and doesn't go. As much as I complain about the left, there are many things I agree with them on, just not when it comes to entertainment.
I presume you live in America. Assuming that's the case, the "Far-left movement [having] more of a say over what does and doesn't go" is provably not true given which president won the election, and which party got the majority.

Anyway, you seem to have dropped the actually on-topic part of your discourse here, so it's clear our relevant conversation here is done. Since this is neither the time nor the place to discuss the finer points of these political views you're talking about here, I think it's time I bowed out.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:It would be cool, but I only see it happening if Dragon Ball is remade.
I'm curious why you think this.
Dragon Ball's animation is 30 years old, and the dub is 17 years old, so between the two, it would stand out like a sore thukb (more so than just being Dragon Ball).

Not saying that they wouldn't do it, I'm just saying given the show's age compared to the rest of the lineup on the network, I don't think it's likely.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Deciding to blame all your problems on one political movement isn't politics, it's scapegoating.
All ? no, as the other movements are just as bad but when it comes to entertainment there's no denying that the far left movement has more of a say over what does and doesn't go. As much as I complain about the left, there are many things I agree with them on, just not when it comes to entertainment.
Overly religious "experts" in the 50's led to comic books being censored for decades because of the negative effect that the "obvious" homosexual implications of Batman and Robin living together would have on their overly-sensitive children. Stan Lee was forbidden to do a story on one of Spider-Man's friends having a drug overdose because the word "drug" was in it, even though the U.S. government asked him to do it.

In the 90s, Spider-Man and the X-Men had to escape from police using lasers because real guns weren't allowed. Carnage, the alien serial killer, absorbed "life force" instead of hacking people up. Morbius the Living Vampire drained "plasma" because they couldn't use blood. In Dragon Ball Z, Tenshinhan had regenerating arms, a city that was blown up had been conveniently evacuated due to it being Sunday, and nobody died anyway because they just went to the "Next Dimension."

Even in Batman: The Animated Series, the Joker could never actually kill anyone, at least in the TV show. Punches had to be flashed out, seatbelts had to be edited in so as not to encourage young children to ride without them. Check out the TV version of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, and compare it to the home release.

The idea that this is some new liberal 20XX thing is stupid. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

Shit, just look up lists of banned books throughout history.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Why even skirt around the dinosaur in the room?

List of Censorship in the Dragon Ball series

The only overtly "SJW" example of censorship in American Dragon Ball thus far was Blue Popo, and that was only on the Toonzai airing of Kai IIRC. I was more offended by such a bullshit attempt than I was about the "unfortunate implications of Popo's design".

Besides that, though? Oh boy, it's amazing how much the censors butchered Dragon Ball back in the day. I used to joke about what if 4Kids got their hands on Dragon Ball Z until I realized that Saban in the '90s was exactly what I was describing.
Dragon Ball wasn't bigger in America for several reasons: hysterically bad mismarketing, outrageous censorship, and the fact we were in a fratboyish "DARKER! EDGIER! BLOODIER!" phase of media that also wrought nightmares like Shadow the Hedgehog and Bomberman: Act Zero, and yet in the end, it didn't even matter because we grew out of it. But if it aired today, it wouldn't need that much censorship realistically as long as it goes on Cartoon Network rather than Disney XD. Just remove the penises and breasts and it's all fine. Disney XD, being Disney and thus more strict with censorship (like Nintendo in the '80s and '90s), wouldn't let Dragon Ball get away with as much.
Last edited by Yuli Ban on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:Why even skirt around the dinosaur in the room?

List of Censorship in the Dragon Ball series

The only overtly "SJW" example of censorship in American Dragon Ball thus far was Blue Popo, and that was only on the Toonzai airing of Kai IIRC. I was more offended by such a bullshit attempt than I was about the "unfortunate implications of Popo's design".

Besides that, though? Oh boy, it's amazing how much the censors butchered Dragon Ball back in the day. I used to joke about what if 4Kids got their hands on Dragon Ball Z until I realized that Saban in the '90s was exactly what I was describing.
Well said.

I love the comment about 4kids, though irinically, if they got their hands on Dragon Ball back in the day, it might've been more faithful than the Funi/Saban dub given what they did with Pokémon at the time (close translations, keeping a huge chunk of the Japanese music, etc).

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:53 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Dragon Ball's animation is 30 years old, and the dub is 17 years old, so between the two, it would stand out like a sore thukb (more so than just being Dragon Ball).

Not saying that they wouldn't do it, I'm just saying given the show's age compared to the rest of the lineup on the network, I don't think it's likely.
I think the fact the dub was rather poorly-done should be a problem, but most people don't seem to take issue with the various issues that plague OG DB's dub, so that likely won't be a problem.
As for the show itself, it looks pretty dang beautiful. Old doesn't mean bad, especially in animation. Some of the most beautiful, smooth, detailed, expressive animation you'll see is from the golden age in the '30s, '40s, and '50s. And while I'm not saying Dragon Ball necessarily compares to the masterpieces of the golden age of animation, its visuals have stood the test of time; they're expressive, and generally very charming, which is pretty much all you need.

In truth, I don't think OG Dragon Ball is likely to be picked up by any modern networks anytime soon; it's the earliest point of the Dragon Ball franchise to pick up, so any network that picked it up would have a long time to go before they reached the new, more profitable stuff, but if a network did take the plunge and put Dragon Ball on, it'd work great. It's a fantastic show, it absolutely holds up(In my opinion, it's a better show than Z, and it holds up stronger nowadays), and I think it'd be a hit with kids if it was handled right.

It would definitely stand out because it would have a very different look to it than most shows on TV, but I think that would be in its favour; it would stand out as an unusual-looking thing that would draw some intrigue.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:20 pm

I must sincerely thank Robo, Yuli and sintzu for making my thread a success! I love that its really active and interesting.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote: I don't think OG Dragon Ball is likely to be picked up by any modern networks anytime soon; it's the earliest point of the Dragon Ball franchise to pick up, so any network that picked it up would have a long time to go before they reached the new, more profitable stuff.
With something as big as DB, isn't it in the interest of a network to have as much of it as possible ? If I was running a network I'd want to start at the beginning to avoid running into the problem of it taking a break (like what's going on now with Super) and being forced to either go back and show the old series which could confuse people or just rerun the new series from the beginning which will lead to viewers dropping it cause they just saw it. Then again, there's the whole "striking while the iron is hot" that could be lost if you take too long to get to the new content so I guess it depends on how long it'd take to get to the new or popular part.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:Dragon Ball's animation is 30 years old, and the dub is 17 years old, so between the two, it would stand out like a sore thukb (more so than just being Dragon Ball).

I think the fact the dub was rather poorly-done should be a problem, but most people don't seem to take issue with the various issues that plague OG DB's dub, so that likely won't be a problem.
As for the show itself, it looks pretty dang beautiful. Old doesn't mean bad, especially in animation. Some of the most beautiful, smooth, detailed, expressive animation you'll see is from the golden age in the '30s, '40s, and '50s. And while I'm not saying Dragon Ball necessarily compares to the masterpieces of the golden age of animation, its visuals have stood the test of time; they're expressive, and generally very charming, which is pretty much all you need.

In truth, I don't think Dragon Ball is likely to be pickd up; it's the earliest point of the Dragon Ball franchise to pick up, so any network that picked it up would have a long time to go before they reached the new, more profitable stuff, but if a network did take the plunge and put Dragon Ball on, it'd work great. It's a fantastic show, it absolutely holds up(In my opinion, it's a better show than Z, and it holds up stronger nowadays), and I think it'd be a hit with kids if it was handled right.

It would definitely stand out because it would have a very different look to it than most shows on TV, but I think that would be in its favour; it would stand out as an unusual-looking thing that would draw some intrigue.
All good things to think about. The animation is definitely beautiful, but I do feel it needs a fresh coat of paint or a proper remaster in order to truly succeed on modern television. Perhaps airing Dragon Box footage of Dragon Ball would work.

It would be an interestong experiment to say the least.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:53 pm

gokaiblue wrote:All good things to think about. The animation is definitely beautiful, but I do feel it needs a fresh coat of paint or a proper remaster in order to truly succeed on modern television. Perhaps airing Dragon Box footage of Dragon Ball would work.

It would be an interesting experiment to say the least.
If a network really wanted to bring DB back to the mainstream couldn't they have Toei remaster it for them ? Kai's Buu arc was done for the international market so it probably wouldn't be out of the question to get DB as well if the demand was there form the companies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 pm

sintzu wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:All good things to think about. The animation is definitely beautiful, but I do feel it needs a fresh coat of paint or a proper remaster in order to truly succeed on modern television. Perhaps airing Dragon Box footage of Dragon Ball would work.

If a network really wanted to bring DB back to the mainstream couldn't they have Toei remaster it for them ? Kai's Buu arc was done for the international market so it probably wouldn't be out of the question to get DB as well if the demand was there form the companies.
If Toei would even be interested in giving them a better quality version than they have in Japan that is.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Absolutely. As long as it airs in Canada.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Can't see it happening.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:16 pm

gokaiblue wrote:If Toei would even be interested in giving them a better quality version than they have in Japan that is.
Toei have never shown any signs that they are bothered by this. It's a misconception spread by people who are in denial that the fans can have any influence on an official release, or that Funimation could ever put out a better release than the crap they've been putting out for a while. No evidence supports it, it's just the Dragon Ball fandom's usual "well it probably won't happen so it's not worth the effort of trying anything" attitude that I'm hoping we Kanzenshuuers, persuers of actual facts and such, can put an end to.

Apologies for jumping down your throat about this if this was an innocent remark, since it very well may have been, but this attitude is very prevalent in many Dragon Ball circles, and I've even encountered it several times here on Kanzenshuu, so I thought I'd try to nip it in the bud in this thread before it got bad. :lol:
sintzu wrote:

That sounds interesting.

Honestly, I think the Dragon Box footage with better colour would work, but a fresh transfer of the negatives with a good colour correction and some minimal overall cleanup could give a very nice-looking end product with not a whole ton of money having to be spent on remastering it. Dragon Ball content in HD that many casual fans have never seen before would probably do wonders for marketing the vastly under-appreciated OG Dragon Ball series, and while this is a long shot, it'd probably be the only chance we'd ever get of Funimation actually deciding "Y'know what, how about we go back and redub OG Dragon Ball to bring it in-line with our modern dubs?"

Dunno if any this would happen, but all of these things would be really kick-ass.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:29 am

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:If Toei would even be interested in giving them a better quality version than they have in Japan that is.
Toei have never shown any signs that they are bothered by this. It's a misconception spread by people who are in denial that the fans can have any influence on an official release, or that Funimation could ever put out a better release than the crap they've been putting out for a while. No evidence supports it, it's just the Dragon Ball fandom's usual "well it probably won't happen so it's not worth the effort of trying anything" attitude that I'm hoping we Kanzenshuuers, persuers of actual facts and such, can put an end to.

Apologies for jumping down your throat about this if this was an innocent remark, since it very well may have been, but this attitude is very prevalent in many Dragon Ball circles, and I've even encountered it several times here on Kanzenshuu, so I thought I'd try to nip it in the bud in this thread before it got bad. :lol:
sintzu wrote:

That sounds interesting.

Honestly, I think the Dragon Box footage with better colour would work, but a fresh transfer of the negatives with a good colour correction and some minimal overall cleanup could give a very nice-looking end product with not a whole ton of money having to be spent on remastering it. Dragon Ball content in HD that many casual fans have never seen before would probably do wonders for marketing the vastly under-appreciated OG Dragon Ball series, and while this is a long shot, it'd probably be the only chance we'd ever get of Funimation actually deciding "Y'know what, how about we go back and redub OG Dragon Ball to bring it in-line with our modern dubs?"

Dunno if any this would happen, but all of these things would be really kick-ass.
I feel in order to succeed, it would have to be treated as a new series rarher than just a return of an old favorite with a fresh coat of paint. Having a new English dub would be a huge step in the right direction. However, I do see some aspects not flying today.....mainly its depiction of certain ethnicities and sexual identiy. I feel people would jump on Dragon Ball heavily once they got to the Red Ribbon Army Arc. This could be solved by some clever (and unfortunate) rewriting of General Blue's character once again and, taking a page from Viz, reducing the size of General Black's lips. Not sure what to do about Upa and Bora, but I feel they actually might get a pass since they're actually treated with at least some respect.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:23 pm

gokaiblue wrote:I feel in order to succeed, it would have to be treated as a new series rarher than just a return of an old favorite with a fresh coat of paint. Having a new English dub would be a huge step in the right direction. However, I do see some aspects not flying today.....mainly its depiction of certain ethnicities and sexual identiy. I feel people would jump on Dragon Ball heavily once they got to the Red Ribbon Army Arc. This could be solved by some clever (and unfortunate) rewriting of General Blue's character once again and, taking a page from Viz, reducing the size of General Black's lips. Not sure what to do about Upa and Bora, but I feel they actually might get a pass since they're actually treated with at least some respect.
Well, it'd be Disney XD in this hypothetical, so no reason Funi couldn't produce a TV edited master with altered dialogue and visuals that fixes all this.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:I feel in order to succeed, it would have to be treated as a new series rarher than just a return of an old favorite with a fresh coat of paint. Having a new English dub would be a huge step in the right direction. However, I do see some aspects not flying today.....mainly its depiction of certain ethnicities and sexual identiy. I feel people would jump on Dragon Ball heavily once they got to the Red Ribbon Army Arc. This could be solved by some clever (and unfortunate) rewriting of General Blue's character once again and, taking a page from Viz, reducing the size of General Black's lips. Not sure what to do about Upa and Bora, but I feel they actually might get a pass since they're actually treated with at least some respect.
Well, it'd be Disney XD in this hypothetical, so no reason Funi couldn't produce a TV edited master with altered dialogue and visuals that fixes all this.
Very true, but blt entirely sure they would think it to be worth the hassle.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Very true, but blt entirely sure they would think it to be worth the hassle.
They always have produced edited TV masters for this purpose, so no reason to think they wouldn't this time; OG DB had one, Z had one, GT had one, Kai has one, TFC has one, Super has one... The movies all have ones... They always do an edited master in case of airings like this. Remember Kai airing on NickToons? That did very well for them, so it was absolutely worth it for them to produce an edited master for that(Although, really, they only edited the dialogue... The actual edits were carried out by Ocean, but... Semantics).

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:Very true, but blt entirely sure they would think it to be worth the hassle.
They always have produced edited TV masters for this purpose, so no reason to think they wouldn't this time; OG DB had one, Z had one, GT had one, Kai has one, TFC has one, Super has one... The movies all have ones... They always do an edited master in case of airings like this. Remember Kai airing on NickToons? That did very well for them, so it was absolutely worth it for them to produce an edited master for that(Although, really, they only edited the dialogue... The actual edits were carried out by Ocean, but... Semantics).
Right, but I do feel the edits needed for Dragon Ball, mainly making Officer Black's lips smaller, might be a bit much. It was too much to do in Kai for Mr. Popo, so.they didn't dl it, which Nicktoons didn't seem to mind back in 2019. However, I fear with Disney's more clean cut and dare I say PC image at times, they might need to do that to appease Disney. The character does appear in only one arc, but he does appear a lot. Editing violence and such is one thing, but actually editing the design of a character is a hige task in animation.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:24 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Right, but I do feel the edits needed for Dragon Ball, mainly making General Black's lips smaller, might be a bit much. It was too much to do in Kai for Mr. Popo, so.they didn't dl it, which Nicktoons didn't seem to mind back in 2019. However, I fear with Disney's more clean cut and dare I say PC image at times, they might need to do that to appease Disney. The character does appear in only one arc, but he does appear a lot. Editing violence and such is one thing, but actually editing the design of a character is a hige task in animation.
Well, effectively what needs doing is that the outer lines around his lips need erasing, and the colour of his lips needs changing to match the colour of the rest of his face. Not exactly easy, but really, the only edits outside of this that DB would need are dialogue changes and parts that need to be totally cut, so this job being required for all Black's scenes isn't that bad.