OG Dragon Ball On Disney XD? Yay or Nay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

OG Dragon Ball On Disney XD? Yay or Nay?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm

If it aired with a PG Rating it could be EPIC. And Disney XD could have a hit that could slow its descent into oblivion.

Thanks Dragon Ball Gus for the idea.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: OG Dragon Ball On Disney XD? Yay or Nay?

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:37 pm

First few episodes have a little kid running around naked half the time in them. Japan, that's one thing. In the US? Parents would flip their shit if they saw that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Its rated PG for a reason lol. But yeah. I doubt they could get away with that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:56 pm

I'd rather they air the uncut version on Toonami, personally.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:20 pm

It may have worked out back in the 90's or even early 2000's but there's no way DB or any anime will last with today's modern audience of snowflake parents and dumb down kids. Toonami is a good place for it but there's too much new anime that should take priority over it so having it instead will lose them viewers so unless they get more time slots they probably won't get a chance to show it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:56 am

Nay.

Some of Dragon Ball's humor, especially in the first few arcs, can get quite risque. There's no way you get away with scenes like Goku getting naked, Bulma flashing herself to an old man, and General Blue being a pedophile (Yes, that was a thing). Disney wouldn't want to touch that shit with a ten inch pole.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 am

sintzu wrote:It may have worked out back in the 90's or even early 2000's but there's no way DB or any anime will last with today's modern audience of snowflake parents and dumb down kids.
You think parents today are snowflakes??
I understand modern politics are touchy, but rewriting history to make it seem like people before 2010 were hardened badasses who weren't offended by anything is just asinine, if not completely detached from reality.
I mean, do I really need to bring up how utterly butchered anime dubs were back in the day, how they were censored to the point of being made watchable for 3-year-olds and the head of Warner Bros. canceled Swat Kats for being too violent for children? It was a damn surprise people even could air Dragon Ball twenty-plus years ago because of how vicious parents groups could get if you so much as showed blood or the very shape of breasts in TV animation. It's one reason why 80s action cartoons had very little actual physical violence.
People today don't know how good they have it! We can only be so privileged to have the worst of it being offended blue-haired bloggers.
The Yabanverse

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 am

Yuli Ban wrote:
sintzu wrote:It may have worked out back in the 90's or even early 2000's but there's no way DB or any anime will last with today's modern audience of snowflake parents and dumb down kids.
You think parents today are snowflakes??
I understand modern politics are touchy, but rewriting history to make it seem like people before 2010 were hardened badasses who weren't offended by anything is just asinine, if not completely detached from reality.
I mean, do I really need to bring up how utterly butchered anime dubs were back in the day, how they were censored to the point of being made watchable for 3-year-olds and the head of Warner Bros. canceled Swat Kats for being too violent for children? It was a damn surprise people even could air Dragon Ball twenty-plus years ago because of how vicious parents groups could get if you so much as showed blood or the very shape of breasts in TV animation. It's one reason why 80s action cartoons had very little actual physical violence.
People today don't know how good they have it! We can only be so privileged to have the worst of it being offended blue-haired bloggers.
I know things were bad back then as well but I think they're worse now with more aggressive parents and companies willing to cave in even if they get one complain.

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Nay.

Some of Dragon Ball's humor, especially in the first few arcs, can get quite risque. There's no way you get away with scenes like Goku getting naked, Bulma flashing herself to an old man, and General Blue being a pedophile (Yes, that was a thing). Disney wouldn't want to touch that shit with a ten inch pole.
Well if it's going to damage Disney's reputation...
I'm in.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:07 pm

I would say absolutely yay, with no reservations or hesitation.

Dragon Ball always has been, and always will be, a kids' show -- Akira Toriyama himself said that he created the manga for young Japanese boys to enjoy -- so kids' TV is a great place to put it.

Unfortunately, it would be the Funimation dub... Probably the Funimation TV dub, at that... :problem:
But, getting Dragon Ball on TV for children to see is always a good thing in my book, especially if it's the original series, so I would say this sounds great. (Plus, if the UK or Canada got in on this, there'd be the possibility of it being the Blue Water dub, which would be excellent)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 pm

It would be cool, but I only see it happening if Dragon Ball is remade.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:51 am

gokaiblue wrote:It would be cool, but I only see it happening if Dragon Ball is remade.
I'm curious why you think this.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm

sintzu wrote:

I know things were bad back then as well but I think they're worse now with more aggressive parents and companies willing to cave in even if they get one complain.
This is how I can tell the youth of today have no clue. Changing things due to a small number of complaints is definitely not a new phenomenon. In fact, in the past, things would get changed well before there even could be complaints.
That we've become more reactive than proactive in our censorship is actually shocking to see, and the only reason why anyone thinks censorship due to "snowflake feelz" is a problem now is because they grew up in an era where companies restricted what even could be made to appease moral guardians ahead of time. Nowadays, creators tend to throw out whatever and see what sticks.

TLDR: Hell no, it's nowhere near "worse now". It only appears that way because censorship has actually gotten lighter, with creators being given much more leeway and able to put out more challenging content.
There was a tiny golden age in the mid-to-late '90s before the Bush years when you could get away with a lot without as much fear of blowback from either side, of course.
Robo4900 wrote:I would say absolutely yay, with no reservations or hesitation.

Dragon Ball always has been, and always will be, a kids' show -- Akira Toriyama himself said that he created the manga for young Japanese boys to enjoy -- so kids' TV is a great place to put it.

Unfortunately, it would be the Funimation dub... Probably the Funimation TV dub, at that... :problem:
But, getting Dragon Ball on TV for children to see is always a good thing in my book, especially if it's the original series, so I would say this sounds great. (Plus, if the UK or Canada got in on this, there'd be the possibility of it being the Blue Water dub, which would be excellent)
It's kind of Dragon Ball's big damn problem. Everything about the show would appeal perfectly to today's anime-inspired CalArts-heavy cutesy-but-badass loving cartoon watching public, partially because it itself was a big reason for it becoming popular. I've said plenty of times on other forums that if we were able to get Dragon Ball to air today, it'd probably become bigger than Dragon Ball Z. The X-TREME ACTION: DARKER 'N EDGIER EDITION trend of the early '00s (responsible for a lot of Z's dub changes and all the nü metal/buttrock movie soundtracks) gave way to today's round-edges, brightly colored, self-aware self-parodying style, and Dragon Ball would be perfect for exploiting that because it practically pre-empted it by 3 decades.
So in a manner, airing it on Disney XD would make sense. If you want to really get a wave of Dragon Ball-mania going, one to rival the popularity of Adventure Time, Steven Universe, or Gravity Falls, bring back OG Dragon Ball.

Alas, it'd be heavily censored, and some of Dragon Ball's best moments can only be done properly in the uncensored version. If it were lightly censored, only removing obvious genitals, that'd be perfect.
The Yabanverse

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Dragon Ball always has been, and always will be, a kids' show -- Akira Toriyama himself said that he created the manga for young Japanese boys to enjoy -- so kids' TV is a great place to put it.
Standards have changed a great deal since the 80's, especially in America so regardless of what Toriyama intended, it wouldn't in any shape or form be acceptable for today's...very "protected" American children. If Super which is a lot more light hearted than the original DB & Z is stuck on Toonami then there's a 0 chance the originals will get anything better. You can thank hysterical liberals for that and everything else that's wrong with Western Entertainment today.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm

sintzu wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Dragon Ball always has been, and always will be, a kids' show -- Akira Toriyama himself said that he created the manga for young Japanese boys to enjoy -- so kids' TV is a great place to put it.
Standards have changed a great deal since the 80's, especially in America so regardless of what Toriyama intended, it wouldn't in any shape or form be acceptable for today's...very "protected" American children. If Super which is a lot more light hearted than the original DB & Z is stuck on Toonami then there's a 0 chance the originals will get anything better. You can thank hysterical liberals for that and everything else that's wrong with Western Entertainment today.
It's like you're not listening to a word I said for the sake of whining about dem librulz.
Cartoons have gotten LESS censored since the '80s. I don't even know what I have to do to beat it over your head that you're stuck in some fantasy world. I don't even know where this perception began.

"Super is a lot more lighthearted" — yes, it is. Compared to the uncensored versions of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. In the '90s and early '00s, they wouldn't even allow for characters to say "die" or show blood in what is a violent action show. Oh, how edgy and proof that kids of the old days were hardcore and not pussies like today.
Dragon Ball's original 80s incarnation would still need to be censored to air on children's programming today, but far less so than any time last decade and good luck trying in the '80s or '90s when they had to go out of their way to literally scrub any evidence this was a foreign show from one of the most overly Sino-Japanese cartoons ever made.

But some blue-hairs are overly sensitive about some dumb racist and sexist jokes now, so that means all entertainment has been ruined, right?

Seriously, I can take down every argument you have involving this complete fantasy. It's actually hilarious, even cute, to see kids nowadays even make such garbage claims like "western entertainment has been ruined by liberals". ESPECIALLY when it comes to anime like Dragon Ball.

Like, kid.

Please.
The Yabanverse

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:00 pm

sintzu wrote:Standards have changed a great deal since the 80's, especially in America so regardless of what Toriyama intended, it wouldn't in any shape or form be acceptable for today's...very "protected" American children.
Not really. If OG Dragon Ball was put on kids' TV now, it'd probably need less censorship than it needed when Funimation produced the edited version they made alongside their uncut dub in 2001, so it'd work fine. Cartoons have actually got rather significantly more daring and edgy in the past 15 or 20 years, so I think Dragon Ball would work great.
A show like Steven Universe wouldn't have flown in 2005, Ben 10 wouldn't have flown in 1999, Dragon Ball Z wouldn't have flown in 1991, Batman: The Animated Series wouldn't have flown in 1985... My point is, views on what's acceptable to put on TV have actually become more lax over time, if you look at it.
sintzu wrote:[Super is] a lot more light hearted than the original DB & Z
It isn't.
sintzu wrote:If Super which is a lot more light hearted than the original DB & Z is stuck on Toonami then there's a 0 chance the originals will get anything better.
Toonami has been a good home for Super and Kai, because it means they can air uncut, with all the excessive swearing Funi added to their post-2009 dubs, and all the violence intrinsic to the show left intact. But, ultimately, on Toonami, its only real audience is the nostalgic audience from way back who are coming back to it, so it is a pretty limiting thing.

Thing is, it's not necessarily "Stuck" on Toonami; remember when Kai was on Nicktoons back in 2011? Internet wisdom will tell you that run sucked because it was blasphemy and muh censorship, but from what I understand, it had a pretty successful run, so it's not like Toonami is the only network who would ever want Dragon Ball, it's just that they're the only network who've decided to pick up the hot new properties of Kai TFC and Super.
sintzu wrote:You can thank hysterical liberals for that and everything else that's wrong with Western Entertainment today.
You forgot to mention SJWs, snowflakes, the gay agenda, and foreigners. :lolno:

Seriously, if you want to complain about a side of politics you disagree with that has nothing to do with this discussion, go do that somewhere else. This is not the place for it.
Yuli Ban wrote:It's like you're not listening to a word I said for the sake of whining about dem librulz.
Cartoons have gotten LESS censored since the '80s. I don't even know what I have to do to beat it over your head that you're stuck in some fantasy world. I don't even know where this perception began.

"Super is a lot more lighthearted" — yes, it is. Compared to the uncensored versions of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. In the '90s and early '00s, they wouldn't even allow for characters to say "die" or show blood in what is a violent action show. Oh, how edgy and proof that kids of the old days were hardcore and not pussies like today.
Dragon Ball's original 80s incarnation would still need to be censored to air on children's programming today, but far less so than any time last decade and good luck trying in the '80s or '90s.

Seriously, I could systematically obliterate every argument you have involving this complete fantasy. It's actually hilarious, even cute, to see kids nowadays even make such garbage claims like "western entertainment has been ruined by liberals". ESPECIALLY when it comes to anime like Dragon Ball.
Like, kid.

Please.
Well said, but honestly, I'd argue that Super is not as lighthearted as any of the prior shows, to me it feels like Toei were trying really hard to go darker and edgier with it. Dragon Ball, Z/Kai, and GT always had a sense of humour about things; they would go into serious territory when the situation demanded it, but generally everything was done with a sense of joy, often with a healthy dose of humour. Super, to me, feels like more often than not, it's trying to just do pure gravitas, epic scale, and big, serious stakes and battles and things, without anywhere near the level of humour or fun the previous shows had. That's not a bad thing(I think the way they went about it was bad, but that's a discussion for another day), but it's different, and I think it ends up making the show come off feeling less lighthearted than the previous four series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
sintzu wrote:[Super is] a lot more light hearted than the original DB & Z
It isn't.
Have you watched DB, Z & Super back to back ? Super tries to be "funny" every 5 seconds compared to the 2 originals.
If you want to complain about a side of politics you disagree with that has nothing to do with this discussion...
What goes or doesn't go on T.V has to do with politics so... :?
Yuli Ban wrote:I can take down every argument you have involving this complete fantasy.
I'm sure you can. :yawn:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Look up the Comics Code Authority if you want to see what real media censorship looks life.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:40 pm

sintzu wrote:Have you watched DB, Z & Super back to back ? Super tries to be "funny" every 5 seconds compared to the 2 originals.
Yes, I did. Super does indeed attempt a lot of humour in the times when it's not trying to be the most epic, grand, earth-shattering thing you've ever seen, but often those jokes are rather lame, and as I say, concentrated in the moments when it's not being the super-edgy Goku and Vegeta vs evil Goku and pretentious god boi show.
sintzu wrote:What goes or doesn't go on T.V has to do with politics so... :?
Deciding to blame all your problems on one political movement isn't politics, it's scapegoating.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Look up the Comics Code Authority if you want to see what real media censorship looks life.
Or the Hays Code.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Deciding to blame all your problems on one political movement isn't politics, it's scapegoating.
All ? no, as the other movements are just as bad but when it comes to entertainment there's no denying that the far left movement has more of a say over what does and doesn't go. As much as I complain about the left, there are many things I agree with them on, just not when it comes to entertainment.