Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 pm

I think sone of these line change complaints are mostly nitpicks, especially considering how much they got right in this episode. There are some odd changed lines, but it's still essentially the same as it was in Japanese but with an added in joke for Englush dub fans a d some slightly changed dialogue.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:13 pm

gokaiblue wrote:I think sone of these line change complaints are mostly nitpicks, especially considering how much they got right in this episode. There are some odd changed lines, but it's still essentially the same as it was in Japanese but with an added in joke for Englush dub fans a d some slightly changed dialogue.
Yes, it gets most things right, which is an improvement on the pre-Kai dubs...

But if you have a translator with you who's your only possible way of understanding or communicating with someone in a foreign country where no one speaks you're language, you wouldn't want him to be "Mostly right", you wouldn't want him to be adding in-jokes, randomly changing things for his translations, etc. You wouldn't be understanding what's actually being said, and the people you're communicating with wouldn't be understanding what you're saying.
Dragon Ball is a Japanese show that was written a certain way by a team of writers who do this professionally. Whenever Funimation makes an unnecessary change, they're deciding that they can come up with a better thing for that character to say than the original writers did. Putting aside the problem that that's massively disrespectful to the original staff of the show, this is the version they are presenting of the show to the entire English audience watching on Adult Swim. If you don't know that Funimation tend to add tons of in-jokes, references, etc., you'd be getting a massively misrepresented version of the show and since you'd probably then be the type who's only ever watched the show dubbed, you'd be used to this style, so you'd never question it, and never realise that Vegeta never sarcastically said "Yay", or said "How about we go visit Yamcha", or whatever the hell else Funimation add to their scripts...

So, how is this right? How is it right that the default option on all the DVDs, the only option on TV, and the main thing we're going to see people posting videos of and talking about online will be an incorrect translation that randomly changes things for no reason, and adds in-jokes because the guy adapting the script for that episode thought it'd be funny to completely ignore the original spirit of the dialogue, and add a joke. Remember, my comparison earlier was only 5 minutes of one episode of Super. If things stay at that level throughout the run, that's an enormous amount of misrepresentation of the show.

And how will this work for sub-viewers and dub-viewers discussing the show?
I'll tell you how, it'll work the same way as it always has for Dragon Ball; the dub version is taken as gospal. Sub fans who aren't familiar with exactly how the dub differs will be left in the dust to just figure it out, and anyone looking to research things to find out the actual proper way a scene is supposed to read, perhaps if they're trying to do some kind of critical analysis of the show, will find only confusion as they try to reconcile two different versions of events, with no general consensus on which one should be paid attention to.
Was Mr. Satan a confident public speaker, or was he nervous, mumbly, and stuttery?
Was Mr. Satan very damning about Norimaki's perverse desires, or was he just mildly questioning?
What the hell does "Home For Infinite Losers" mean in this context?

Granted, this is "Just" a comedy episode, so details like this aren't likely to hinder any kind of critical analysis, since critical analysis will probably focus on the main arcs... But how do you deal with the main arcs when we know that Funi are going to be just as inaccurate and take just as many unnecessary liberties as they usually do?
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:31 pm

I think it's a little bizarre that Funimation was making such a big deal about being true to the original, and it extended to the movies, but they're sort of getting questionable with Super (according to others). I did listen to the Sabat interview that Geekdom did and while Sabat did sound like he wanted to be true to the original, there were some things that made it seem like he wasn't interested in being that strict with it (mostly regarding his saying that he's okay with a replacement score and adding in funny lines on Battle of Gods). But having grown up with their original parody of DBZ, I am super lenient with that stuff and think that as long as they're in the ball park, that's already impressive considering their past. I mean for real, before DBZA, the one true king of DBZ parodies was the Funimation dub.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I think it's a little bizarre that Funimation was making such a big deal about being true to the original, and it extended to the movies, but they're sort of getting questionable with Super (according to others). I did listen to the Sabat interview that Geekdom did and while Sabat did sound like he wanted to be true to the original, there were some things that made it seem like he wasn't interested in being that strict with it (mostly regarding his saying that he's okay with a replacement score and adding in funny lines on Battle of Gods). But having grown up with their original parody of DBZ, I am super lenient with that stuff and think that as long as they're in the ball park, that's already impressive considering their past. I mean for real, before DBZA, the one true king of DBZ parodies was the Funimation dub.
I mean, to be honest, as long as the original score is still an option on the DVDs and such, I consider his thoughts on replacement scores understandable and totally reasonable.

But yeah, Funimation making a big deal about being true to the original is very dishonest, and that's a good portion of why I take so much issue with their current dubbing work. It's not bad, but it's nothing to write home about; it's no Death Note, or Cowboy Bebop... And yet, they're always talking about "The pure DBZ experience" and all that... "Let's go visit Yamcha" is not the purest Dragon Ball experience possible, not even close. And their slipping isn't exclusive to Super; this crept in pretty strongly in TFC too.
Funimation's dubbing work on the modern Dragon Ball series has just been okay. Even the much-loved Kai 1.0 was only pretty good. They've slid down to just okay since then, though. I'd go further and say the low-end of mediocre, but people seem to have very low standards of what constitutes a good dub in this thread, so I'll back off slightly to avoid any pitchforks. ;)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Remember, my comparison earlier was only 5 minutes of one episode of Super. If things stay at that level throughout the run, that's an enormous amount of misrepresentation of the show.
If THAT scene you broke down was an indicator of the quality of the dub, than "enormous misrepresentation" isn't the case at all.
Robo4900 wrote:I'd go further and say the low-end of mediocre, but people seem to have very low standards of what constitutes a good dub in this thread, so I'll back off slightly to avoid any pitchforks. ;)
You can't say you're trying to avoid pitchforks in the same sentence that you say something incendiary about people's tastes.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:If THAT scene you broke down was an indicator of the quality of the dub, than "enormous misrepresentation" isn't the case at all.
Perhaps I was somewhat hyperbolic, but I stand by that the accuracy of the scenes I compared was not good enough for the purposes Funi uses it for, and doesn't stand up to the level of accuracy Funi are saying they aim for in their dubs.
jjgp1112 wrote:You can't say you're trying to avoid pitchforks in the same sentence that you say something incendiary about people's tastes.
The winky-face was supposed to indicate some degree of joking around. As I've demonstrates multiple times throughout my time here on Kanzenshuu, people disagreeing with me is not something that bothers me. What bothers me right here right now is how much people are leaping to the defense of Funimation's poor dubbing, not just of Super, but of all their Dragon Ball dubs. Super bothers me the most at the moment, which is ironic given my apathy for that series, but poor scripting is poor scripting.

Aside from Greatness25, the only responses so far to my comparison has been "that's less than I thought, this is overblown". No actual responses trying to defend Vegeta's "Yay", Mr. Satan's mumbling and stuttering, Mashirito's first few lines being entirely changed, the goddamn stupid HFIL joke, etc. Kind of frustrating, since the only response that really invites from me is "I disagree", which is hardly worth saying.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:I think sone of these line change complaints are mostly nitpicks, especially considering how much they got right in this episode. There are some odd changed lines, but it's still essentially the same as it was in Japanese but with an added in joke for Englush dub fans a d some slightly changed dialogue.
Yes, it gets most things right, which is an improvement on the pre-Kai dubs...

But if you have a translator with you who's your only possible way of understanding or communicating with someone in a foreign country where no one speaks you're language, you wouldn't want him to be "Mostly right", you wouldn't want him to be adding in-jokes, randomly changing things for his translations, etc. You wouldn't be understanding what's actually being said, and the people you're communicating with wouldn't be understanding what you're saying.
Dragon Ball is a Japanese show that was written a certain way by a team of writers who do this professionally. Whenever Funimation makes an unnecessary change, they're deciding that they can come up with a better thing for that character to say than the original writers did. Putting aside the problem that that's massively disrespectful to the original staff of the show, this is the version they are presenting of the show to the entire English audience watching on Adult Swim. If you don't know that Funimation tend to add tons of in-jokes, references, etc., you'd be getting a massively misrepresented version of the show and since you'd probably then be the type who's only ever watched the show dubbed, you'd be used to this style, so you'd never question it, and never realise that Vegeta never sarcastically said "Yay", or said "How about we go visit Yamcha", or whatever the hell else Funimation add to their scripts...

So, how is this right? How is it right that the default option on all the DVDs, the only option on TV, and the main thing we're going to see people posting videos of and talking about online will be an incorrect translation that randomly changes things for no reason, and adds in-jokes because the guy adapting the script for that episode thought it'd be funny to completely ignore the original spirit of the dialogue, and add a joke. Remember, my comparison earlier was only 5 minutes of one episode of Super. If things stay at that level throughout the run, that's an enormous amount of misrepresentation of the show.

And how will this work for sub-viewers and dub-viewers discussing the show?
I'll tell you how, it'll work the same way as it always has for Dragon Ball; the dub version is taken as gospal. Sub fans who aren't familiar with exactly how the dub differs will be left in the dust to just figure it out, and anyone looking to research things to find out the actual proper way a scene is supposed to read, perhaps if they're trying to do some kind of critical analysis of the show, will find only confusion as they try to reconcile two different versions of events, with no general consensus on which one should be paid attention to.
Was Mr. Satan a confident public speaker, or was he nervous, mumbly, and stuttery?
Was Mr. Satan very damning about Norimaki's perverse desires, or was he just mildly questioning?
What the hell does "Home For Infinite Losers" mean in this context?

Granted, this is "Just" a comedy episode, so details like this aren't likely to hinder any kind of critical analysis, since critical analysis will probably focus on the main arcs... But how do you deal with the main arcs when we know that Funi are going to be just as inaccurate and take just as many unnecessary liberties as they usually do?
I get your frustration, but I feel you're overblowing it just a bit.

First off, anime dubbing in itself is always an adaption of the Japanese original. How close it is varies from dub to dub. With Super, aside from a few liberties here and there, its real close, especially in the main arc episodes. However, even with the liberties, Funimation still manages to keep the spirit of the show intact.

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 pm

gokaiblue wrote:I get your frustration, but I feel you're overblowing it just a bit.

First off, anime dubbing in itself is always an adaption of the Japanese original. How close it is varies from dub to dub. With Super, aside from a few liberties here and there, its real close, especially in the main arc episodes. However, even with the liberties, Funimation still manages to keep the spirit of the show intact.
I strongly disagree. Adaptation means making it flow right in English, and swapping out cultural references and puns that don't make sense to English-speakers for ones that do work... But Funimation have consistently gone a lot further than that in Super to an unnecessary extent.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:If THAT scene you broke down was an indicator of the quality of the dub, than "enormous misrepresentation" isn't the case at all.
Perhaps I was somewhat hyperbolic, but I stand by that the accuracy of the scenes I compared was not good enough for the purposes Funi uses it for, and doesn't stand up to the level of accuracy Funi are saying they aim for in their dubs.
jjgp1112 wrote:You can't say you're trying to avoid pitchforks in the same sentence that you say something incendiary about people's tastes.
The winky-face was supposed to indicate some degree of joking around. As I've demonstrates multiple times throughout my time here on Kanzenshuu, people disagreeing with me is not something that bothers me. What bothers me right here right now is how much people are leaping to the defense of Funimation's poor dubbing, not just of Super, but of all their Dragon Ball dubs. Super bothers me the most at the moment, which is ironic given my apathy for that series, but poor scripting is poor scripting.

Aside from Greatness25, the only responses so far to my comparison has been "that's less than I thought, this is overblown". No actual responses trying to defend Vegeta's "Yay", Mr. Satan's mumbling and stuttering, Mashirito's first few lines being entirely changed, the goddamn stupid HFIL joke, etc. Kind of frustrating, since the only response that really invites from me is "I disagree", which is hardly worth saying.
In all honesty, is there really anything to defend? Most of these alterations to the script that you listed are not only pretty minor, but they wouldn’t be considered noteworthy in virtually any other dub. What is there to really say about a throwaway line of Vegeta sarcastically going “yay”, especially when you could argue that such a change was done in order to make the situation of Vegeta being bored out of his mind more amusing?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:11 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

In all honesty, is there really anything to defend? Most of these alterations to the script that you listed are not only pretty minor, but they wouldn’t be considered noteworthy in virtually any other dub. What is there to really say about a throwaway line of Vegeta sarcastically going “yay”, especially when you could argue that such a change was done in order to make the situation of Vegeta being bored out of his mind more amusing?
And even the smoking gun that is the HFIL line is the same as the original, just turned into an inside joke that fits with the bizarro, nonsensical tone of the episode.

Aside from the "Reject"/"Left-Right" thing, there's not one line that you highlighted that didn't appear to be you squeezing out some form of inaccuracy out of slightly different phrasings that were likely just trying to fill the mouth flaps. I mean I'm sorry, but how is something like "Y-You're a scientist yet you're talking unscientific nonsense!" becoming "Well that's an unscientific thing for a scientist to do, have you no respect for the laws of nature?" even remotely a problem?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 am

gokaiblue wrote:I get your frustration, but I feel you're overblowing it just a bit.

This is true. A dub will never be the original. It will always be an adaptation. But that doesn't mean dubs should add dialogue where there's none, add jokes that weren't in the original, remove or change dialogue, have unnecessary changes, etc. I haven't watched the FUNi Super dub (I haven't even watched my dub yet) so I can't jugde how good/accurate it is. But I do understand how Robo feels. When I watch a show dubbed, I want to watch the show but dubbed. And that can be achieved without unnecessary changes. There's no need for added jokes or dialogue. Let the show be the show.

It looks like the main problem some have with FUNi's approach to dubbing Super is that FUNi could've made a very accurate dub, that would still sound natural in English, but instead decided to make an accurate dub that takes several liberties. And while there's people that do enjoy those small changes, there's also people that don't. I'm pretty sure an accurate dub with little to no changes would be enjoyed by both those who don't like unnecessary changes like Robo (and me) and those who don't mind them. Basically nobody would be complaining had FUNi decided to be as accurate as possible (while still sounding natural in English). I mean in the end we watch Dragon Ball because we like its story. So let Dragon Ball be Dragon Ball. Like I said let the show be the show. The show already exist. Just adapt it into our language.

That said, this is coming from someone who's never watched the FUNi Super dub. For all I know it could very well be a very accurate dub.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Bajosexto wrote:I'm pretty sure an accurate dub with little to no changes would be enjoyed by both those who don't like unnecessary changes like Robo (and me) and those who don't mind them.
This right here is exactly it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Bajosexto wrote:

This is true. A dub will never be the original. It will always be an adaptation. But that doesn't mean dubs should add dialogue where there's none, add jokes that weren't in the original, remove or change dialogue, have unnecessary changes, etc. I haven't watched the FUNi Super dub (I haven't even watched my dub yet) so I can't jugde how good/accurate it is. But I do understand how Robo feels. When I watch a show dubbed, I want to watch the show but dubbed. And that can be achieved without unnecessary changes. There's no need for added jokes or dialogue. Let the show be the show.

It looks like the main problem some have with FUNi's approach to dubbing Super is that FUNi could've made a very accurate dub, that would still sound natural in English, but instead decided to make an accurate dub that takes several liberties. And while there's people that do enjoy those small changes, there's also people that don't. I'm pretty sure an accurate dub with little to no changes would be enjoyed by both those who don't like unnecessary changes like Robo (and me) and those who don't mind them. Basically nobody would be complaining had FUNi decided to be as accurate as possible (while still sounding natural in English). I mean in the end we watch Dragon Ball because we like its story. So let Dragon Ball be Dragon Ball. Like I said let the show be the show. The show already exist. Just adapt it into our language.

That said, this is coming from someone who's never watched the FUNi Super dub. For all I know it could very well be a very accurate dub.
Thank you very much for this post. This is exactly how I feel, and what I think. With that, I don't think I have anything further to say on the matter. :)

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Regarding “the quality of the Pokémon dub”

I think the user Kunzait_83 made an interesting analogy a while back against a doltish user.
“just because the guy next to you has excruciatingly painful bone marrow cancer doesn't somehow mean its a good idea to just go home and leave your heart valve blockage unattended to because hey at least you're not THAT guy.”

If I were to scrub it in a way that it make sense in context for this discussion:

“Just because a dub of another anime is significantly worse doesn’t mean the dub in the current discussion should be excused.”

Yes, the Pokémon dub is bad, the Digimon dub is hard to sit through and One Piece perhaps got the worst of it. I do not think anyone is going to argue otherwise (for the most part anyways, I will explain that in the end).

The approach that Funimation took for Dragon Ball is still a glaring issue that continues to persist to this very day. Instead of letting Dragon Ball be Dragon Ball, they decided to take liberties of the translations and taking notes that seemingly would not be out of place of what 4kids or any other disposal dubbing company would do in such manner. Why should a company that advocates being true to the source material, fall into tactics that 4kids has taken on foreign cartoons?

Robo400’s examples of how glaring the translation between Funimation and the Japanese dub (where Mr. Satan’s character is change in the English dub as being a “nervous speaker) should not be an example of “oh, this is just an overblown nitpick!”

It should be an example of how small things ca drastically alters the perceptions of the show. In addition, those small things add up when fans do not engage. Dragon Ball is not the only show that suffers from this—other shows Funmiation has tackle of translating or adding irrelevant thing that change the overflow of the characters and/or show. Calling it a “harmless joke” on certain added jokes is understating the overall problem—it should not be added in the first place.

If Funmiation wants to add jokes, memes or any other stuff—they can under their own products. Leave the shows intact as they are and do their jobs as translating for English audience as close to the original. If they cannot accomplished even the simplest of task of “avoiding adding unnecessary fluff”, maybe perhaps making dubs is the not the business they should be investing in.
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Shineman wrote:Regarding “the quality of the Pokémon dub”

I think the user Kunzait_83 made an interesting analogy a while back against a doltish user.
“just because the guy next to you has excruciatingly painful bone marrow cancer doesn't somehow mean its a good idea to just go home and leave your heart valve blockage unattended to because hey at least you're not THAT guy.”

If I were to scrub it in a way that it make sense in context for this discussion:

“Just because a dub of another anime is significantly worse doesn’t mean the dub in the current discussion should be excused.”

Yes, the Pokémon dub is bad, the Digimon dub is hard to sit through and One Piece perhaps got the worst of it. I do not think anyone is going to argue otherwise (for the most part anyways, I will explain that in the end).

The approach that Funimation took for Dragon Ball is still a glaring issue that continues to persist to this very day. Instead of letting Dragon Ball be Dragon Ball, they decided to take liberties of the translations and taking notes that seemingly would not be out of place of what 4kids or any other disposal dubbing company would do in such manner. Why should a company that advocates being true to the source material, fall into tactics that 4kids has taken on foreign cartoons?

Robo400’s examples of how glaring the translation between Funimation and the Japanese dub (where Mr. Satan’s character is change in the English dub as being a “nervous speaker) should not be an example of “oh, this is just an overblown nitpick!”

It should be an example of how small things ca drastically alters the perceptions of the show. In addition, those small things add up when fans do not engage. Dragon Ball is not the only show that suffers from this—other shows Funmiation has tackle of translating or adding irrelevant thing that change the overflow of the characters and/or show. Calling it a “harmless joke” on certain added jokes is understating the overall problem—it should not be added in the first place.

If Funmiation wants to add jokes, memes or any other stuff—they can under their own products. Leave the shows intact as they are and do their jobs as translating for English audience as close to the original. If they cannot accomplished even the simplest of task of “avoiding adding unnecessary fluff”, maybe perhaps making dubs is the not the business they should be investing in.
Nothing I’ve seen from the dub of Super seems to in anyway be comparable to the tactics made by a 4Kids dub. Even the addition of inside jokes and memes, while not something I’m a fan of, weren’t exactly done in a way that ruins the mood of a scene, or changes who the characters are. I personally just take issue with stuff like that because it seems more at home in an abridged series.

Anyway, apart from the issue of censorship, dubs that were made by 4Kids are notorious for not just occasionally adding extra dialogue and jokes, but doing so on a constant basis, to the point where the characters could never seem to shut up. This is on top of the fact that they sometimes changed key plot points from the Japanese version, and always replaced the original Japanese music with some very generic sounding music that constantly drones on and on. Also, they had a stubborn refusal to ever acknowledge Japanese culture, to the point where rice balls were either referred to as jelly-filled donuts, or were sloppily edited out altogether. These descriptions may apply to the older Dragon Ball dubs that FUNimation did, but certainly not for their current dubs. Their current approach does involve occasionally spicing up the dialogue, but that seems like something that nearly all anime dubs do. Even Kai 1.0 did that occasionally.

Again, before anyone accuses me of being some kind of dub fanboy-apologist, I don’t give a shit about the English dub of Super, hence why I don’t regularly follow it, nor do I have any real opinion on FUNimation as a company. They’re just some Texas dubbing company that handles a bunch of Japanese cartoons, the overwhelming majority of which I have no interest in to begin with, and would actually be embarrassed to be a part of if I was a VA or a script writer myself. I’m pointing this out because I was accused of this a while back in this very thread, and it absolutely baffled me.

Bottom line; I simply don’t see how the current dubbing practices for the Dragon Ball franchise are really noteworthy enough to be considered glaring, except maybe for the memes, and even then, Super itself has made use of nostalgia, and even one or two memes for fan service and cheap laughs as well, so even that might not be especially out of the ordinary. If their dub of Super did come strike me as a glaring overhaul of what Dragon Ball is, I never would’ve started this thread to begin with.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Honestly, I definitely agree that it could and should be more accurate, but at the same time, the few changes that are made don't really detract from the dub's quality.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:59 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Honestly, I definitely agree that it could and should be more accurate, but at the same time, the few changes that are made don't really detract from the dub's quality.
The dub of Super is not terrible or anything like that (and thank God it isn't), but there's simply no need to add unnecessary jokes.

Like, do many people get Hit's reference to Dunkin' Donuts?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
gokaiblue wrote: Let the show be the show.
Well if you are going in with editing software and changing the original character's voices, then the show already isn't the show and will never be the show so your point is moot.