Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 pm

I’ll admit up front that I actually haven’t been regularly following the dub of Super. At the time that the dub of Super began airing, I was following the sub for the series, which was in the ToP arc at the time. I would occasionally catch clips online, but I rarely watched the full episodes. With that being said, from what I’ve been seeing of the dub of Super, it would seem that Funimation has been taking more liberties. The liberties certainly aren’t as blatant as the ones they took during season 3 of Z, but they seem more in line with their dub of Yu Yu Hakusho, where there’s a fair amount of snappy one-liners, along with the occasional accent for characters like the Galactic King.

With all that being said, how would you say Super compares to Kai in terms of the Funimation dubs?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:54 pm

The Kai dub, without a doubt, even if it isn't perfect (like, I would have preferred Tien, Yamcha, Roshi and a few others to be recasted).

From what I've seen of the Super dub, it's not bad, but there are some things that annoy me such as Vegeta calling Bulma "babe" and saying "Let's go see Yamcha". Like, it feels like a disservice to how he's written in the Japanese version.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:54 am

I've just seen Kai and the last 2 movies while only clips of Super so I can't judge it as a whole but from what I've seen it sounds very similar.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:The Kai dub, without a doubt, even if it isn't perfect (like, I would have preferred Tien, Yamcha, Roshi and a few others to be recasted).

From what I've seen of the Super dub, it's not bad, but there are some things that annoy me such as Vegeta calling Bulma "babe" and saying "Let's go see Yamcha". Like, it feels like a disservice to how he's written in the Japanese version.
Basically this. But, when I say I prefer Kai, I mainly mean Kai 1.0, or episodes 1-98. FUNimation created a really accurate script that still managed to sound natural in English. Also, Sabat's Vegeta sounded so smooth and calm.

Once Kai TFC (as well as BoG, recorded around the same time) hit, the script became less accurate for no apparent reason (and his Vegeta seemed to sound a bit more gravely again, and I just don't like that sound) This happened even further in Super. Things like Trunks telling 18 he killed her in the future because "It was you or mankind so yeah" while in the original he simply is lost for words, or Vegeta seemingly breaking the fourth wall by calling himself "the star of this damn show" (which isnt a line Vegeta would say regardless) really dampen the experience for me.

The argument can be made that the overall story isn't changed, and while that may be true, that was also true for the OG Ocean/FUNi dubs. These supposedly small changes add up over time and can really affect how a character is viewed. Kai 1.0 for me. I'm really disappointed that FUNimation hasn't kept up their writing/voice directing from back then so this was a dub we all could enjoy.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:26 pm

First of all, we're comparing three dubs here, not two, as Kai ep 1-98 (1.0) was handled separately compared to Kai 99-167 (2.0 or The Final Chapters).

Funimation's dubs of Kai 1.0 and Super both released new episodes when there was still content to be dubbed concurrently (on Nicktoons and Adult Swim respectively). Kai 2.0 on the other hand had a lot of breathing room and still wouldn't air for months (if not years) after it was completed.

Kai 1.0 is probably Funi's most accurate post Original Dragon Ball production, even willing to take risks like restoring the Japanese attack names for a time, though there are hints of what would become Funi's current dubbing style for DB. One example was the somewhat forced inclusion of profanity (or in Nicktoons equally forced instances of "Darn it!" etc). The swearing in the Kai 2.0 and Super dubs would come off as less forced... but at the same time stronger (I don't recall uncut Kai 1.0 ever using the words "ass" or "(son of a) bitch"). In Kai 1.0, the "script flavoring" (for a lack of a better term) was more subtle/less drastic than how Kai 2.0 and Super would come out (compare "Note to self: Don't go to hell." and (paraphrased) "You won't like Mr. Popo when he's angry" with Kai 2.0's "I totally owned you in this fight." and Super's "Let's go see Yamcha"/ "They're in mah belly"/ "Arm Candy" etc)

On the other side of the coin, Kai 2.0 and Super arguably have better acting than Kai 1.0 . In any case, the dubbing style from Z and GT is pretty much gone... but in its place is a subtler, more insidious type of inaccuracy.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Kai by a long shot. Even with some of its issues, that feels like a sincere, consistent, artistic effort. Super on the other hand has so many ups and downs that it's really hard for me to recommend beyond some standout scenes.
Danfun64 wrote:On the other side of the coin, Kai 2.0 and Super arguably have better acting than Kai 1.0 .
I couldn't disagree more, there are so many line deliveries throughout the Super dub that, combined with many creative choices, just make me shake my head is disbelief. The Goku Black arc is the biggest offender.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 am

Forte224 wrote: Vegeta seemingly breaking the fourth wall by calling himself "the star of this damn show" (which isnt a line Vegeta would say regardless) really dampen the experience for me.
Why do you guys keep claiming this crap? It was a direct response to Black calling him an "opening act."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:40 am

The Super dub, because the brilliant, sublime and extremely talented James Marsters is in it.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Vegeta seemingly breaking the fourth wall by calling himself "the star of this damn show" (which isnt a line Vegeta would say regardless) really dampen the experience for me.
Why do you guys keep claiming this crap? It was a direct response to Black calling him an "opening act."
It's a cheesy line that doesn't fit Vegeta's character.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:11 am

I'd say the Super dub.

Yes, more liberties are taken with Super dub compared to dub of Kai, (Vegeta's "Yeah, sure. Let's go see Yamcha", Goku's "Super Saiyan Please" and "Iforgotmytractor!" lines, etc.) but I feel those liberties don't do anything to interfere with scene is trying to convey. And I come cases, I feel that Funimation rotating and/or sprucing up the dialogue aids in making the scene better.

One of the best cases of this was during Zamasu's discussion with Gowasu about their roles in just overseeing the mortals. And instead of having a conversation on how they must simply let mortals grow, much to Zamasu's annoyance, the dub instead changes it to a garden analogy, and it works so well due to giving the point of both characters across in a more satisfying way.

Not to mention, the acting overall is fantastic. With James Marsters giving the finest performance for any Dragon Ball antagonist ever with Zamasu.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 pm

I think the highs of Super are a bit higher. Most of the new voices are great and honestly much better than your Schemmel's, Sabat's and Strait's IMO. I actually don't mind the somewhat flowery dialogue that Super throws in, but I still don't like the jokey "punching up" of the script.

Kai does deserve a lot of credit though...it was soooo refreshing at the time it came out to have an English dub of the series that wasn't terrible.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Forte224 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
So basically you're fabricating an interpretation of it to justify disliking it? That...doesn't do a whole lot for your credibility.

Just say you don't like the line and be done with it, don't make stuff up.
Cold World (Fanfic)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:36 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Why do you guys keep claiming this crap? It was a direct response to Black calling him an "opening act."
So basically you're fabricating an interpretation of it to justify disliking it? That...doesn't do a whole lot for your credibility.
If you ask me, while I don’t have much of an opinion on the aforementioned Vegeta line, I’m not sure I really understand the argument that it’s “out of character” for him. Vegeta is known to be an arrogant and proud warrior who’s always trying to one-up Goku, and it’s not like openly bragging about himself isn’t something that Vegeta has done in the past.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:01 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Why do you guys keep claiming this crap? It was a direct response to Black calling him an "opening act."

Um, why are you so upset with me about this? First of all, it's one line of many that I'm not happy with. I shook my head and stuck with the Japanese long before Vegeta uttered those words.

Second of all, what's your explanation for why that line fits Vegeta? Vegeta has never stooped down to the villain's level by going along with their illustrative mockery of him.

Third of all, I'm not happy with change for the sake of change. I like my dubs to have accurate dialogue. Super does not have this. It consistently alters lines that need no altering to sound natural or fit lip flaps.

Fourth and finally, you call my credibility into account while getting this upset with me over one line I gave as one example of what I'm not happy with in the dub. I could call into question your credibility and say you're looking at the dub with fan goggles by getting so upset and defensive over me disliking a line from the dub that you don't think I should dislike. I won't, but I have just as much proof as you do to call credibility into account. If you don't like my opinion, fine. But don't talk about credibility because I feel they're interpreting a character incorrectly. Thats just crazy.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Forte224 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: It's a cheesy line that doesn't fit Vegeta's character.

Um, why are you so upset with me about this? First of all, it's one line of many that I'm not happy with. I shook my head and stuck with the Japanese long before Vegeta uttered those words.

Second of all, what's your explanation for why that line fits Vegeta? Vegeta has never stooped down to the villain's level by going along with their illustrative mockery of him.

Third of all, I'm not happy with change for the sake of change. I like my dubs to have accurate dialogue. Super does not have this. It consistently alters lines that need no altering to sound natural or fit lip flaps.

Fourth and finally, you call my credibility into account while getting this upset with me over one line I gave as one example of what I'm not happy with in the dub. I could call into question your credibility and say you're looking at the dub with fan goggles by getting so upset and defensive over me disliking a line from the dub that you don't think I should dislike. I won't, but I have just as much proof as you do to call credibility into account. If you don't like my opinion, fine. But don't talk about credibility because I feel they're interpreting a character incorrectly. Thats just crazy.
I'm not arguing whether the line is in character or not. You claimed that the line was meant to break the fourth wall, when that CLEARLY wasn't the case and then you backtracked when that was brought up. That's the issue with your credibility. You made up a completely untrue reason why that's a bad line rather than sticking with your actual reason for not liking the line, which itself is a stretch, anyway.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: So basically you're fabricating an interpretation of it to justify disliking it? That...doesn't do a whole lot for your credibility.

I'm not arguing whether the line is in character or not. You claimed that the line was meant to break the fourth wall, when that CLEARLY wasn't the case and then you backtracked when that was brought up. That's the issue with your credibility. You made up a completely untrue reason why that's a bad line rather than sticking with your actual reason for not liking the line, which itself is a stretch, anyway.
I wasn't trying to stray from that. I said "seemingly" did I not? That means I wasn't saying it was definitely doing that. But based on the "Let's go see Yamcha" meme pandering line, basically I wouldn't put it above them to do so. I only strayed from that because I didn't think it's what you were calling me out on. Your original defense where you called my comment crap could've applied to the fourth wall argument or the character breaking argument I put in parentheses. I assumed it was the latter.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 pm

One had Sabat willingly saying everyone can just watch the Japanese version if they want accuracy, the other didn't. It's a pretty simple choice to me.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:One had Sabat willingly saying everyone can just watch the Japanese version if they want accuracy, the other didn't. It's a pretty simple choice to me.
Which one was he referring too?

As for which dub is better, I think acting wise, it would have to go to Super, but Kai 1.0 was much closer in its script just a bit. Super and Kai 2.0 both take liberties, but they're still jot nearly as bad as the original Z dub. Some even improve on the Japanese script in Super's case.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 am

gokaiblue wrote:
MozillaVulpix wrote:One had Sabat willingly saying everyone can just watch the Japanese version if they want accuracy, the other didn't. It's a pretty simple choice to me.

As for which dub is better, I think acting wise, it would have to go to Super, but Kai 1.0 was much closer in its script just a bit. Super and Kai 2.0 both take liberties, but they're still jot nearly as bad as the original Z dub. Some even improve on the Japanese script in Super's case.
The Super dub. I think it was at the 3 Vegeta's panel at Kamehacon? All I know is it's on YouTube somewhere. Geekdom (I think taking a question from Ajay) asked Sabat why the Super dub is a lot more jokey, and Sabat basically answered with "everyone's already watched it in Japanese anyway, so we decided to change things a bit to make it more interesting for those people".
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:33 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:

The Super dub. I think it was at the 3 Vegeta's panel at Kamehacon? All I know is it's on YouTube somewhere. Geekdom (I think taking a question from Ajay) asked Sabat why the Super dub is a lot more jokey, and Sabat basically answered with "everyone's already watched it in Japanese anyway, so we decided to change things a bit to make it more interesting for those people".
Well that explains a lot. Not a decision I'm thrilled with. I was looking forward to the Super dub.