Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I get the feeling that the reason Vale’s voice sounds the way it does nowadays is because he’s not a twenty-something anyway. Either that or he’s a smoker.
Apparently he did smoke for a while or so I've heard. Might work for a character like Sanji from One Piece but not for Trunks.
But the thing, his Sanji's voice isn't nearly as raspy as Trunks...it's actually pretty smooth, it just has a hint of a rasp to indicate his smoking habit. That's what makes the Trunks voice all the more confusing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 am

jjgp1112 wrote:But the thing, his Sanji's voice isn't nearly as raspy as Trunks...it's actually pretty smooth, it just has a hint of a rasp to indicate his smoking habit. That's what makes the Trunks voice all the more confusing.
You don't know? Vegeta has a raspy voice...so therefore, Trunks has a raspy voice! Like father, like son!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:20 am

Fionordequester wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:But the thing, his Sanji's voice isn't nearly as raspy as Trunks...it's actually pretty smooth, it just has a hint of a rasp to indicate his smoking habit. That's what makes the Trunks voice all the more confusing.
You don't know? Vegeta has a raspy voice...so therefore, Trunks has a raspy voice! Like father, like son!
Logical answer
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:37 am

Is it impossible for him to pitch his voice higher?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:42 pm

His performance in Ace Attorney sounds much better IMO:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... ix-Wright/

I don't detect any rasp.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I still don’t really see how something like the Blue Water dub of GT can be considered to be one of the top quality dubs of Dragon Ball. I definitely think Funimation’s current dubs for Dragon Ball are better than that. A scene like this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhdK2zKzi4E) wasn’t exactly handled better than this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqbAw_Amoo).
Yes, because of course if you cherry-pick one scene which happened to be a flashback and is infamously the one episode Blue Water really screwed up(I believe they partially based their script for that episode on the Funimation scripts they had on hand for the Z episodes that were being flashed back to. Either that, or they were just high for that one episode), that represents the entire dub...
8000 Saiyan wrote:His performance in Ace Attorney sounds much better IMO:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... ix-Wright/

I don't detect any rasp.
It's also not exactly a high-pitched voice...

Anyone mind if I lay down a hot take about Trunks?
I prefer Alistair Abell over Eric Vale. He definitely had moments of bad delivery, and he didn't sound as youthful as Vale, but he plays on the tortured soul from the future angle, and I think it works rather nicely.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Meh, Abell wasn't the right choice for Trunks. Should have cast Mark Hildreth or Kirby Morrow. Sometimes I wish I had been the casting director of Z.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I still don’t really see how something like the Blue Water dub of GT can be considered to be one of the top quality dubs of Dragon Ball. I definitely think Funimation’s current dubs for Dragon Ball are better than that. A scene like this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhdK2zKzi4E) wasn’t exactly handled better than this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqbAw_Amoo).
Yes, because of course if you cherry-pick one scene which happened to be a flashback and is infamously the one episode Blue Water really screwed up(I believe they partially based their script for that episode on the Funimation scripts they had on hand for the Z episodes that were being flashed back to. Either that, or they were just high for that one episode), that represents the entire dub...
The scrips for the flashbacks in that episode definitely weren’t based on the Funimation scripts for those scenes. Not that it really matters, since the original Funimation version of that scene was also inaccurate, as was the script they used for the uncut redub, but you can’t really blame Funimation for that particular hiccup in the Blue Water dub.

Anyway, the bottom line is that in terms discussing the quality of the franchise’s English dubs, it would be inaccurate to say that the Blue Water dubs are held in higher regard than the post-Kai dubs that Funimation has been doing.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

WittyUsername wrote:The scrips for the flashbacks in that episode definitely weren’t based on the Funimation scripts for those scenes. Not that it really matters, since the original Funimation version of that scene was also inaccurate, as was the script they used for the uncut redub, but you can’t really blame Funimation for that particular hiccup in the Blue Water dub.
I don't mean the uncut Funimation dub script, that didn't exist in 2003, I mean the one they wrote for the Saban dub in 1996.
In any case, I did say I wasn't 100% sure if they used Funi's scripts; the point is that that episode is an outlier, with the flashbacks for some reason being really terribly-scripted.
WittyUsername wrote:Anyway, the bottom line is that in terms discussing the quality of the franchise’s English dubs, it would be inaccurate to say that the Blue Water dubs are held in higher regard than the post-Kai dubs that Funimation has been doing.
Blue Water isn't held in as high a regard as post-Kai. Even I, probably Blue Water's biggest proponent around, would hesitate to place it above Kai. Blue Water's dub, despite its scripts(Outside of that one episode) being better than Funimation's TFC and Super scripts have been, has some odd casting choices, and is generally quite a rushed job. It's not an absolute pillar of perfection in dubbing, it's just a decent dub that ended up being one of the most accurate dubs the franchise has ever seen, and is far superior to Funimation's competing dubs.
Besides, you didn't give a link to the Japanese version there, so there's no way to compare the script accuracy in the scenes you linked...

If you want to get a good example of Blue Water's scripting, here's some comparisons with the Japanese subs and Funi's dub from episode 1 of GT, plus some episode titles; you'll notice that really, the only differences between the subs and Blue Water is matters of phrasing and adaptation, as is the case with Pioneer and most of Funi's Kai 1.0, whereas Funimation's GT is more concerned with presenting a particular vision of the show than actually rendering the intent of the original dialogue in any form:
[spoiler]Steve Simmons' subs:
Mai: There appears to be a powerful battle reading coming from the Heavenly Realm that we're headed for.
Pilaf: I know! No matter what may be going on within the Heavenly Realm, this mission will be successful!

Blue Water:
Mai: The floating palace is within view now, but preliminary scans indicate that a fierce battle is currently in progress.
Pilaf: I can see that; no matter what's going on up there, we will proceed as planned, is that understood?

Funimation:
Mai: I don't know what's going on, but it's madness in there sire; I'm telling you, this isn't a good time!
Pilaf: You clueless idiot! There will never be a better time; it's the perfect diversion!

-

Steve Simmons' subs:
Mai: Pilaf-sama!
Shu: Are you all right?
Pilaf: T-This is nothing. After this many decades of research, effort, persistence, blood, sweat and tears, and just a bit of good fortune, I've finally discovered that the ultimate Dragon Balls are here in the Heavenly Realm! A-And until I hold those Dragon Balls in my hands...! I will never give up! The Dragon Balls are right nearby!

Blue Water:
Mai: Sire, are you okay?
Shu: He don't look okay...
Pilaf: I'll be fine. I just need to reach the-- augh!... A little bump on the noggin is nothing compared to the decades of research, effort, and perseverance it took me to actually get here! The ultimate Dragon Balls do exist, and they're right here, somewhere in this floating palace. And I swear, before this day is over, they will be mine! Alright! We're close now; our luck's about to change!

Funimation:
Pilaf: Am I bleeding?
Mai: I think you'll be fine.
Shu: I can't see you, sire.
Pilaf: Well, something hurts pretty bad... Augh!... Thanks to decades of gut-wrenching perseverance and research, this is the last pain I'll feel in searching for the Dragon Balls. By day's end, my reckoning will be at hand, and all of humanity will know the name Emperor Pilaf! It'll be synonymous with fear and rage, and with power and strength. The world will know me as king! King Emperor Pilaf!

-

Steve Simmons' subs:
Gohan: That sounds terrible, father.
Goku: Not really. It's just that everything looks bigger than it was before. It's weird.
Pan: It's awful, having a grandpa who's even smaller than I am.
Chichi: It wasn't bad enough that I, an Earthlin', have gotten old so soon! I'm sure this is just Goku-sa's latest attempt at annoyin' me!
Goku: T-That ain't so, Chichi!
Gohan: So, father, are you going to be leaving to search for these Dragon Balls?
Goku: Hm, I ain't sure what to do...
Gohan: But unless you wish upon the Dragon Balls, you can't return to normal, right?
Chichi: I knew it! Goku-sa's doin' it to annoy me!
Kaio: Goku! Goku!
Goku: Is that you, Kaio-sama?
Kaio: That's right. As it happens, I did some more looking into this and found out something terrible.
Goku: Something terrible?
Kaio: Once those Dragon Balls grant a wish, you have to find them all again within one year, or else the planet they were used on will be destroyed.
Gohan: T-That can't be! So, if the Dragon Balls aren't brought together within one year from today, Earth will be...?
Kaio: Destroyed.
Narrator: A new, earthshaking tale in the legend of Goku, the likes of which no one has ever seen or heard before, is about to begin!

Blue Water:
Gohan: Well, are you okay, dad? I mean... Did it hurt?
Goku: No, I'm fine, but is is gonna take me a while to get used to how much bigger everything looks than it did before.
Pan: You think you got it bad, I'm gonna be known as the freak who looks older than her own grandfather!
Chi-Chi: You know I'm only human, and won't live as long as you anyway, Goku, and you run off for years and then come back to me like this?!
Goku: It's not like I made the wish to be a kid again.
Gohan: So, does that mean you're gonna be leaving again soon to go looking for the black-star Dragon Balls?
Goku: I don't know, I just got home...
Gohan: But you can't return to normal unless you make a wish from those Dragon Balls, am I right?
Chi-Chi: I knew it! You wanna stay that way, don't you, Goku?!
King Kai: Goku... Can you hear me?
Goku: Yes, I can hear you.
King Kai: Then listen carefully... After you left, I did some research into the black-star Dragon Balls, and discovered a side-effect to their use.
Goku: What kind of side-effect?
King Kai: The black-star Dragon Balls must be re-united within one year from the day they were used to grant a wish, or the planet upon which they were used will be destroyed.
Gohan: That's not fair! How do you expect us to find all those Dragon Balls if we only have a year?!
King Kai: The Earth is at stake!
Narrator: The black-star Dragon Balls have been scattered throughout the universe, and must be found within one year, or the Earth will be destroyed! Goku is about to set off on his greatest adventure yet!

Funimation:
Gohan: So they caught you off guard, huh?
Goku: I had no idea that the dragon was there when I walked in. Then Pilaf made the wish and poof -- here I am.
Pan: And now I have a pint-sized grandpa who looks like he should still be diapers.
Chi-Chi: I was already aging faster than him as it was, but this... It's unnatural, I bet you did this on purpose!
Goku: No, I liked being old -- really, I did.
Gohan: Dad, let's think here... The Dragon Balls are spread across the entire galaxy, right?
Goku: Uh-huh. That's what Mr. Popo said.
Gohan: If that's the case, it might be easier for you to just grow up like any other child.
Chi-Chi: Can you imagine someone my age married to someone like this?!
King Kai: Goku! Can you hear me?
Goku: We sure can, King Kai.
King Kai: Good, then listen carefully. I'm afraid I have bad news. I did some research on the black-star Dragon Balls, and what I dug up is quite unsettling.
Goku: Just how unsettling?
King Kai: Now that a wish has been made, the Earth is in danger of exploding unless all of the black-star Dragon Balls are found, and returned to Earth within one year! Y'see, when a wish has been made using the black-star Dragon Balls, the negative energy left behind begins to take over the planet, causing massive instability, and eventual self-destruction.
Gohan: What? King Kai, you've gotta be kidding, you mean we have one year to get the balls back or kaboom?
King Kai: That's exactly right.
Narrator: With less than one year to travel the universe, and gather the mysterious black-star Dragon Balls, Goku and his friends stare into an uncertain future. Will the inadvertent wish of a clumsy old foe be the beginning of the end for planet Earth? Find out as the journey gets underway on the next Dragon Ball GT.

-

Episode 1 title...
Simmons: The Mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Goku Becomes A Child?!
Blue Water: The Mysterious Dragonballs Appear! Goku Becomes A Child!
Funimation: A Devastating Wish

Episode 2 title...
Simmons: I'm The Star! Pan Takes Off Into Space!!
Blue Water: I'll Take The Lead: Pan Takes Off Into Space!
Funimation: Pan Blasts Off

Episode 15 title...
Simmons: I'm Going Astray! Pan Runs Away?!
Blue Water: Pan Runs Away
Funimation: Beginning Of The End[/spoiler]

The point is: Blue Water's scripts are good. They're faithful scripts that flow well in English, and they're actually more faithful than any of the pre-Kai dubs except the Pioneer movies. Meanwhile, Funimation's dub takes a gigantic crap on the entire series, and tries to do its own thing, and fails miserably.
Blue Water's high honour isn't that it's a fantastic dub, because it's only a pretty good dub -- or even just a fairly decent dub, depending on how you feel about the voices -- however compared to Funimation's god-awful dub of GT, Blue Water's is a godsend. And script-wise, Blue Water's GT is rather unique in the pre-Kai series dubs.
Ultimately, out of all the pre-Kai dubs, Blue Water's GT is the only one that'll give you a sense of what the series it's dubbing is actually about without constantly lying to you.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The scrips for the flashbacks in that episode definitely weren’t based on the Funimation scripts for those scenes. Not that it really matters, since the original Funimation version of that scene was also inaccurate, as was the script they used for the uncut redub, but you can’t really blame Funimation for that particular hiccup in the Blue Water dub.
I don't mean the uncut Funimation dub script, that didn't exist in 2003, I mean the one they wrote for the Saban dub in 1996.
In any case, I did say I wasn't 100% sure if they used Funi's scripts; the point is that that episode is an outlier, with the flashbacks for some reason being really terribly-scripted.
WittyUsername wrote:Anyway, the bottom line is that in terms discussing the quality of the franchise’s English dubs, it would be inaccurate to say that the Blue Water dubs are held in higher regard than the post-Kai dubs that Funimation has been doing.
Blue Water isn't held in as high a regard as post-Kai. Even I, probably Blue Water's biggest proponent around, would hesitate to place it above Kai. Blue Water's dub, despite its scripts(Outside of that one episode) being better than Funimation's TFC and Super scripts have been, has some odd casting choices, and is generally quite a rushed job. It's not an absolute pillar of perfection in dubbing, it's just a decent dub that ended up being one of the most accurate dubs the franchise has ever seen, and is far superior to Funimation's competing dubs.
Besides, you didn't give a link to the Japanese version there, so there's no way to compare the script accuracy in the scenes you linked...

If you want to get a good example of Blue Water's scripting, here's some comparisons with the Japanese subs and Funi's dub from episode 1 of GT, plus some episode titles; you'll notice that really, the only differences between the subs and Blue Water is matters of phrasing and adaptation, as is the case with Pioneer and most of Funi's Kai 1.0, whereas Funimation's GT is more concerned with presenting a particular vision of the show than actually rendering the intent of the original dialogue in any form:
[spoiler]Steve Simmons' subs:
Mai: There appears to be a powerful battle reading coming from the Heavenly Realm that we're headed for.
Pilaf: I know! No matter what may be going on within the Heavenly Realm, this mission will be successful!

Blue Water:
Mai: The floating palace is within view now, but preliminary scans indicate that a fierce battle is currently in progress.
Pilaf: I can see that; no matter what's going on up there, we will proceed as planned, is that understood?

Funimation:
Mai: I don't know what's going on, but it's madness in there sire; I'm telling you, this isn't a good time!
Pilaf: You clueless idiot! There will never be a better time; it's the perfect diversion!

-

Steve Simmons' subs:
Mai: Pilaf-sama!
Shu: Are you all right?
Pilaf: T-This is nothing. After this many decades of research, effort, persistence, blood, sweat and tears, and just a bit of good fortune, I've finally discovered that the ultimate Dragon Balls are here in the Heavenly Realm! A-And until I hold those Dragon Balls in my hands...! I will never give up! The Dragon Balls are right nearby!

Blue Water:
Mai: Sire, are you okay?
Shu: He don't look okay...
Pilaf: I'll be fine. I just need to reach the-- augh!... A little bump on the noggin is nothing compared to the decades of research, effort, and perseverance it took me to actually get here! The ultimate Dragon Balls do exist, and they're right here, somewhere in this floating palace. And I swear, before this day is over, they will be mine! Alright! We're close now; our luck's about to change!

Funimation:
Pilaf: Am I bleeding?
Mai: I think you'll be fine.
Shu: I can't see you, sire.
Pilaf: Well, something hurts pretty bad... Augh!... Thanks to decades of gut-wrenching perseverance and research, this is the last pain I'll feel in searching for the Dragon Balls. By day's end, my reckoning will be at hand, and all of humanity will know the name Emperor Pilaf! It'll be synonymous with fear and rage, and with power and strength. The world will know me as king! King Emperor Pilaf!

-

Steve Simmons' subs:
Gohan: That sounds terrible, father.
Goku: Not really. It's just that everything looks bigger than it was before. It's weird.
Pan: It's awful, having a grandpa who's even smaller than I am.
Chichi: It wasn't bad enough that I, an Earthlin', have gotten old so soon! I'm sure this is just Goku-sa's latest attempt at annoyin' me!
Goku: T-That ain't so, Chichi!
Gohan: So, father, are you going to be leaving to search for these Dragon Balls?
Goku: Hm, I ain't sure what to do...
Gohan: But unless you wish upon the Dragon Balls, you can't return to normal, right?
Chichi: I knew it! Goku-sa's doin' it to annoy me!
Kaio: Goku! Goku!
Goku: Is that you, Kaio-sama?
Kaio: That's right. As it happens, I did some more looking into this and found out something terrible.
Goku: Something terrible?
Kaio: Once those Dragon Balls grant a wish, you have to find them all again within one year, or else the planet tehy were used on will be destroyed.
Gohan: T-That can't be! So, if the Dragon Balls aren't brought together within one year from today, Earth will be...?
Kaio: Destroyed.
Narrator: A new, earthshaking tale in the legend of Goku, the likes of which no one has ever seen or heard before, is about to begin!

Blue Water:
Gohan: Well, are you okay, dad? I mean... Did it hurt?
Goku: No, I'm fine, but is is gonna take me a while to get used to how much bigger everything looks than it did before.
Pan: You think you got it bad, I'm gonna be known as the freak who looks older than her own grandfather!
Chi-Chi: You know I'm only human, and won't live as long as you anyway, Goku, and you run off for years and then come back to me like this?!
Goku: It's not like I made the wish to be a kid again.
Gohan: So, does that mean you're gonna be leaving again soon to go looking for the black-star Dragon Balls?
Goku: I don't know, I just got home...
Gohan: But you can't return to normal unless you make a wish from those Dragon Balls, am I right?
Chi-Chi: I knew it! You wanna stay that way, don't you, Goku?!
King Kai: Goku... Can you hear me?
Goku: Yes, I can hear you.
King Kai: Then listen carefully... After you left, I did some research into the black-star Dragon Balls, and discovered a side-effect to their use.
Goku: What kind of side-effect?
King Kai: The black-star Dragon Balls must be re-united within one year from the day they were used to grant a wish, or the planet upon which they were used will be destroyed.
Gohan: That's not fair! How do you expect us to find all those Dragon Balls if we only have a year?!
King Kai: The Earth is at stake!
Narrator: The black-star Dragon Balls have been scattered throughout the universe, and must be found within one year, or the Earth will be destroyed! Goku is about to set off on his greatest adventure yet!

Funimation:
Gohan: So they caught you off guard, huh?
Goku: I had no idea that the dragon was there when I walked in. Then Pilaf made the wish and poof -- here I am.
Pan: And now I have a pint-sized grandpa who looks like he should still be diapers.
Chi-Chi: I was already aging faster than him as it was, but this... It's unnatural, I bet you did this on purpose!
Goku: No, I liked being old -- really, I did.
Gohan: Dad, let's think here... The Dragon Balls are spread across the entire galaxy, right?
Goku: Uh-huh. That's what Mr. Popo said.
Gohan: If that's the case, it might be easier for you to just grow up like any other child.
Chi-Chi: Can you imagine someone my age married to someone like this?!
King Kai: Goku! Can you hear me?
Goku: We sure can, King Kai.
King Kai: Good, then listen carefully. I'm afraid I have bad news. I did some research on the black-star Dragon Balls, and what I dug up is quite unsettling.
Goku: Just how unsettling?
King Kai: Now that a wish has been made, the Earth is in danger of exploding unless all of the black-star Dragon Balls are found, and returned to Earth within one year! Y'see, when a wish has been made using the black-star Dragon Balls, the negative energy left behind begins to take over the planet, causing massive instability, and eventual self-destruction.
Gohan: What? King Kai, you've gotta be kidding, you mean we have one year to get the balls back or kaboom?
King Kai: That'e exactly right.
Narrator: With less than one year to travel the universe, and gather the mysterious black-star Dragon Balls, Goku and his friends stare into an uncertain future. Will the inadvertent wish of a clumsy old foe be the beginning of the end for planet Earth? Find out as the journey gets underway on the next Dragon Ball GT.

-

Episode 1 title...
Simmons: The mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Goku Becomes A Child?!
Blue Water: The mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Goku Becomes A Child?!
Funimation: A Devastating Wish

Episode 2 title...
Simmons: I'm The Star! Pan Takes Off Into Space!!
Blue Water: I'll Take The Lead: Pan Takes Off Into Space!
Funimation: Pan Blasts Off

Episode 15 title...
Simmons: I'm Going Astray! Pan Runs Away?!
Blue Water: Pan Runs Away
Funimation: Beginning Of The End[/spoiler]

The point is: Blue Water's scripts are good. They're faithful scripts that flow well in English, and they're actually more faithful than any of the pre-Kai dubs except the Pioneer movies. Meanwhile, Funimation's dub takes a gigantic crap on the entire series, and tries to do its own thing, and fails miserably.
Blue Water's high honour isn't that it's a fantastic dub, because it's only a pretty good dub -- or even just a fairly decent dub, depending on how you feel about the voices -- however compared to Funimation's god-awful dub of GT, Blue Water's is a godsend. And script-wise, Blue Water's GT is rather unique in the pre-Kai series dubs.
I didn’t say you were referring to the uncut dub. I was pointing out that as far as the original Funimation dub is concerned, Goku’s reason for letting Vegeta go was that he wanted to show him mercy, which is still inaccurate, but is inaccurate in a different way from how Blue Water handled that flashback, and I’d argue that they’re both equally out of character.

Anyway, as far as GT is concerned, the Funimation dub varied in terms of how accurate it could be. Some episodes were handled fairly accurately, while others were extremely different. It’s not exactly a good dub, but some episodes were handled better than others. The Blue Water dub was certainly more accurate overall, but it still had some occasionally bizarre lines of dialogue that I don’t really think are any better than the stuff that Funimation has put out in Super, at least not the bits that I’ve seen of the Super dub.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:36 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I didn’t say you were referring to the uncut dub. I was pointing out that as far as the original Funimation dub is concerned, Goku’s reason for letting Vegeta go was that he wanted to show him mercy, which is still inaccurate, but is inaccurate in a different way from how Blue Water handled that flashback, and I’d argue that they’re both equally out of character.
And I don't debate that. I don't know why Blue Water's script for that episode fell down a toilet, but it was just that one.
WittyUsername wrote:Anyway, as far as GT is concerned, the Funimation dub varied in terms of how accurate it could be. Some episodes were handled fairly accurately, while others were extremely different. It’s not exactly a good dub, but some episodes were handled better than others. The Blue Water dub was certainly more accurate overall, but it still had some occasionally bizarre lines of dialogue that I don’t really think are any better than the stuff that Funimation has put out in Super, at least not the bits that I’ve seen of the Super dub.
Blue Water did have the occasional bizarre line of dialogue. You could probably count them on two hands across the entire series.
Funimation had bizarre episodes, which were about half of them. The other half were "Good" in the same sense that the OG Dragon Ball dub is "Good". (Which is to say, a feat of sheer perfection compared to their previous works, which actually doesn't stand up as being any good when you actually compare it to the subs, or are primarily familiar with the subbed version of the show)

But, this is not the thread for Funi GT discussion. If you want to discuss that, I suggest you take your business over here.

As for how BW GT compares to Super, I haven't watched Funi Super. I hate Super, and I'm no-where near masochistic enough to put myself through a rewatch of Super with Funi's dub over it. So... No comment.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I didn’t say you were referring to the uncut dub. I was pointing out that as far as the original Funimation dub is concerned, Goku’s reason for letting Vegeta go was that he wanted to show him mercy, which is still inaccurate, but is inaccurate in a different way from how Blue Water handled that flashback, and I’d argue that they’re both equally out of character.
And I don't debate that. I don't know why Blue Water's script for that episode fell down a toilet, but it was just that one.
WittyUsername wrote:Anyway, as far as GT is concerned, the Funimation dub varied in terms of how accurate it could be. Some episodes were handled fairly accurately, while others were extremely different. It’s not exactly a good dub, but some episodes were handled better than others. The Blue Water dub was certainly more accurate overall, but it still had some occasionally bizarre lines of dialogue that I don’t really think are any better than the stuff that Funimation has put out in Super, at least not the bits that I’ve seen of the Super dub.
Blue Water did have the occasional bizarre line of dialogue. You could probably count them on two hands across the entire series.
Funimation had bizarre episodes, which were about half of them. The other half were "Good" in the same sense that the OG Dragon Ball dub is "Good". (Which is to say, a feat of sheer perfection compared to their previous works, which actually doesn't stand up as being any good when you actually compare it to the subs, or are primarily familiar with the subbed version of the show)

But, this is not the thread for Funi GT discussion. If you want to discuss that, I suggest you take your business over here.
That’s fine. I wasn’t trying to get into a debate about GT. That wasn’t what I made this thread for.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote:It's also not exactly a high-pitched voice...
Well, but it would fit Trunks better.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I get the feeling that the reason Vale’s voice sounds the way it does nowadays is because he’s not a twenty-something anyway. Either that or he’s a smoker.
Apparently he did smoke for a while or so I've heard. Might work for a character like Sanji from One Piece but not for Trunks.
But the thing, his Sanji's voice isn't nearly as raspy as Trunks...it's actually pretty smooth, it just has a hint of a rasp to indicate his smoking habit. That's what makes the Trunks voice all the more confusing.
Thats the one thing I actually dislike in the Kai dub. That throatiness Trunks has now. He sounded much better in Z where he was just calm and clear.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
ABED wrote:Vale should just use his regular voice.
Yeah, I don't know what the fuck has been going on with his approach to Trunks since Kai. He was just fine with a regular voice but for whatever reason he uses this overly gruff delivery now that just doesn't work at all. The acting's better but the voice is worse.
I know right. I was watching the Super dub of the Black Arc and whenever Trunks is in these slice of life esque moments Vale just does not do Trunks justice and makes it sound so forced. However when Trunks is in serious moments Vale is amazing in those scenes
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:03 am

I agree that the approach they took to the new dub is very similar to what they did with Yu Yu Hakusho honestly I don't care that the dialogue isn't that faithful because honestly I feel like the dub of Yu Yu Hakusho is much better than the sub is and I think a lot of people feel that way about the show. I appreciate the added humor that they put into Super like honestly, everybody has already seen the show so all those extra little nuggets of original humor are the only things worth watching the dub for at all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am

You can't just assume everyone's seen the original and it's not the job of the adaptation to add humor. I have a feeling most of the people claiming YYH's dub is better than the original haven't seen much of the original.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:28 pm

ABED wrote:You can't just assume everyone's seen the original and it's not the job of the adaptation to add humor. I have a feeling most of the people claiming YYH's dub is better than the original haven't seen much of the original.
I would argue that there’s nothing particularly wrong with trying to “spice up” the dialogue every now and then. As I mentioned earlier, Japanese and English are two very different languages, so directly translating each and every line from the original as closely as possible can end up making things sound awkward and stilted. Obviously, the dialogue shouldn’t be drastically changed to the point where characters and plot points end up being different from the original, but reworking certain lines of dialogue in order to make things flow more naturally doesn’t strike me as an inherently bad thing to do.

As far as the dub of YYH is concerned, I think a big reason that some people consider it to be better than the original is because they believe it has more personality in comparison. To many people, YYH can come across as a rather generic shonen anime from the 90s, so the sharper tongue and edgier dialogue that the dub provided is probably considered a welcome change of pace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:35 pm

We aren't asking for a direct translation, but a translation that keeps the soul of the characters and story and keeps as close as possible while making sure the dialog flows well is not a big ask.
so directly translating each and every line from the original as closely as possible can end up making things sound awkward and stilted
That's a huge cop out and no one is asking for that. Yu Yu Hakusho didn't just change things up in order make them flow. Is it too much to ask that Kaio-sama's humor be pun based?
YYH can come across as a rather generic shonen anime from the 90s, so the sharper tongue and edgier dialogue that the dub provided is probably considered a welcome change of pace.
That's a disingenuous belief. The dialog isn't sharper tongued or edgier than the original. That view is a reach and I'm not sure anyone actually believes it. It comes across more like they want to stick with the dub and concoct a reason that sounds better than a mere personal preference.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:43 pm

I think that when Funimation was dubbing Yu Yu Hakusho, they were still suffering from the idea that their audience suffered from short attention spans.