Who is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Who is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:42 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Piccolo.
I knew there'd be a comment like this. :roll:

If by 'took in' you mean kidnapped and left out in the wilderness, then sure.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Gohan is a good candidate. He loves and cares for Pan, but doesn't force her to be something she doesn't want to be.

Vegeta after the Buu Arc has certainly turned things around, and with a daughter around, I imagine he may become one of those dads to her. He won't need a shotgun though, lol.

Krillin isn't bad either. He and 18 do a lot of teamwork to raise their daughter, and despite both being incredibly powerful, they aren't forcing her to train if she doesn't want to.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Goten. You can't be a bad dad if you have not kids!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:

Obligatory stop using Piccolo at his worst to compare him to Goku whenever someone brings up the best dad debate comment.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:44 am

Michsi wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Obligatory stop using Piccolo at his worst to compare him to Goku whenever someone brings up the best dad debate comment.
Like when people bring Goku telling Gohan to fight Cell and people use that say Piccolo cares more about Gohan than him?

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:53 am

Goku is best daddy, he is kind, he doesn't force his kids to go to school or anything, he does care about his family, he does love his family, he protects them, what do you guys want more?
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:40 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Like when people bring Goku telling Gohan to fight Cell and people use that say Piccolo cares more about Gohan than him?
I've not seen anyone say Goku doesn't care, only that he doesn't know/understand him as well as he should.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm

Goku doesn’t even love Gohan or Goten more than he loves Bulma or Roshi, FOH with that best dad stuff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Piccolo lol
sunsetshimmer wrote: (except that trash SSJ2 himself from Cell saga).
Please don't take offense but I find this really funny, SSJ2 Gohan against Cell is not only the most popular form he got but also an iconic scene of the entire series lol
Dbzfan94 wrote:

He kidnapped him for the greater good because of his potential and actually watched over him in the wilderness at the beginning, leaving him on his own was the best training he could give him at that point (also don't forget he has a really hard time with kids crying 24/7 lol)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:37 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: Please don't take offense but I find this really funny, SSJ2 Gohan against Cell is not only the most popular form he got but also an iconic scene of the entire series lol
Well, popular doesn't really mean best or even good.
Original DB is the least popular series and i wouldn't call it the worst one. In fact, it's opposite.

And it's obviously his most popular form, because it's the first form he actually did something major with and the form he used to defeat main villain. And there isn't much choice, because he never did anything with SSJ so the only form left is Ultimate, That's 50% chance and Ultimate Gohan, while much better, is also overrated. And guess what, Ultimate Gohan also didn't behave much like Gohan in his fight with Buu. People only like Gohan when he is not even Gohan. Want to see real Gohan? Watch early Buu saga, GT and most of DBS.

DBZ was always way overrated to me, especially entire Cell saga. For me, Goku SSJ on Namek was iconic. Not someone who only looks like Gohan going SSJ2 which i still find a bad and lazy asspull form.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:42 pm

He kidnapped him for the greater good because of his potential and actually watched over him in the wilderness at the beginning, leaving him on his own was the best training he could give him at that point (also don't forget he has a really hard time with kids crying 24/7 lol)
He watched him all of 1 day at the beginning. Regardless, this makes him a good teacher, not a good father.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:51 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Well, popular doesn't really mean best or even good.
Original DB is the least popular series and i wouldn't call it the worst one. In fact, it's opposite.
Don't say fact and I'm pretty sure it's more popular than GT.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: He kidnapped him for the greater good because of his potential and actually watched over him in the wilderness at the beginning, leaving him on his own was the best training he could give him at that point (also don't forget he has a really hard time with kids crying 24/7 lol)

Again, Piccolo. as he was at the start of the saiyan saga is not the Piccolo people are referring to when when they compare him with Goku. Their thinking of the Piccolo that rushes to Gohan on Namek, of the Piccolo that looses his shit and worries his head off at when Gohan fights Cell, it's the Piccolo that destroys cameras to protect Gohan's identity. Add to this a million extra moments added in the anime version.

This isn't me saying he is the best dad, btw, just that using scenes with Piccolo while he was still technically a bad guy isn't really fair.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:36 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Gohan going SSJ2 which i still find a bad and lazy asspull form.
What, almost the full arc built up to it lol
It's not the form in itself that made this moment iconic, it's everything it tells us from the narrative
ABED wrote: He watched him all of 1 day at the beginning. Regardless, this makes him a good teacher, not a good father.
Yes, yet the bond they got from it is more than simple teacher-pupil relationship

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:39 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Well, popular doesn't really mean best or even good.
Don't say fact and I'm pretty sure it's more popular than GT.
I highly doubt it. GT gets a lot of hate, but most people are familiar with it in some way. They know all main villains and its story.
Many "fans" don't care or never even watched/read original series.

I actually saw many people stating that since Shenron was scared of Beerus then it means Omega Shenron would be scared too because they are equal.
EVERYONE who watched first series know that Shenron is weaker than Saibamen and that his power isn't even fraction of Omega's.

There would be other examples like people thinking Kamehameha is Goku's technique or asking why Mai is so old in GT thinking DBS introduced her and that she was never adult in original story. People didn't even know what Mafuba is when it came to Super and popular DB youtube channels were making videos to explain people what this move is.

People hardly ever ask for DB characters in games, while requesting some GT characters.
And GT characters also appear in games more often than DB characters.

I see many people talking about "DBZ/GT/Super" series if that was a trilogy, like original DB never existed. So while GT gets hated, it's at least existing in their minds.

I mean there are a reasons why memes like those exist:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:50 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Many "fans" don't care or never even watched/read original series.
Possible regarding the newer gen discovering the series with Super but I think all fans around their thirties at least watched it, and that's the bigger chunk of the fanbase because time lol
sunsetshimmer wrote: I mean there are a reasons why memes like those exist:
While this meme is somewhat funny it's also pretty retarded when you know the circumstances of their alliance then lol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Yes, yet the bond they got from it is more than simple teacher-pupil relationship
No more than the relationship between Muten Roshi and Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Lets see...
Ok list of father figures:

Bardock - Did not, nor has he ever cared for his children. Pretty much wrote Goku off upon seeing his power level and only started careing because his sone would avange him. Litaraly zero maternal instinct or feeling.

King Vegeta - Outside of one filler scene, is as bad as Bardock and maybe worse since he handed his sone over to Frieza as a poltical tool. Was more intreasted in killing Frieza then his own child.

Grandpa Gohan - Happy raised a starnge child despite their inital agression. While his time with Goku was cut short, we see in early chapters that he rasing him well.

Ox King - A loveing farther but one who seems to cave to his child far to easily.

Roshi - A very wise and good mentor at heart, only held back by the fact he's also an old perv.

Bora - We dont see much of him but he comes a cross as pretty solid dad.

Shen - Well say hello to our first, genuinely abusive father figure.

King Piccolo - Seems to care for his offspring somewhat but like the saiyan dads, everything seems to revolve around him.

Goku - Dose care for his family genuinely but his upbringing and life befor marriage, love of martial arts and his saiyan nature collectively make it impossible for him to be a normal father. Is a good father in his own way but has his flaws.

Piccolo - Ordinally abusive and mean, Piccolo's time with Gohan really brought out his good side. Namekians are social creatures who seem to have a close bond with their offspring, far all the evil in his heart Piccolo comes from a noble and loving people. He just needed the right kind of interactions to help him function like a normal namekian again. Since then we've had more and more evidence that there's a big ol heart under that green skin. He's been a good father figure and mentor for Gohan in the ways Goku cannot be.

(it's not that Piccolo is Gohan's real dad, he just has two and each dose the job in different ways)

The Grand Elder - another seemingly solid dad.

King Cold - Given how Frieza acts, I'm not inclined to believe Cold is any better. He dose seem to have some feelings for his son but well "Frieza is still Frieza".

Dr. Gero - While the androids are not his children persay, they are his creations. Ether way given how he acts he's unlikely to be any better then Cold.

Vegeta - Much like his father befor him, Vegeta was a self-centered dick and an easy candidate for worse father. But like Piccolo he's really come out of his shell and has better fatherly interastions with his children. However even to this day he's not perfect. If Goku is like a cloud that could get blown away any minute, Vegeta is a steel wall with barbed wire on top.

Kuririn - A very well rounded dad with none of the issues the others have. I'd say he better then even Piccolo. (Best Dad)

Mr. Satan - A very loveing father but over protective and too into his own hype. Kind of the oppasite of Ox King.

Babidi - This may be reaching a bit, anyay he's the second person to have his potential "child/younger brother" figure kill him. Make of that what you will.

Gowasu - A very clear case of a good and well meaning mentor... who is totally out of touch with the person in his care.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:47 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: He kidnapped him for the greater good because of his potential and actually watched over him in the wilderness at the beginning, leaving him on his own was the best training he could give him at that point (also don't forget he has a really hard time with kids crying 24/7 lol)
Excuses excuses.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:36 am

ABED wrote:
No more than the relationship between Muten Roshi and Goku.
Muten Roshi was never shown to be that close or even present in Goku's life the way Piccolo is with Gohan. Gokus studied under Muten Roshi for 3 month, then only met with him once every couple of years.