"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:I pretty much feel the same. The only reason I was excited for this was because of the prospect of seeing them subtitled in theaters. Not only is this disappointing, it doesn't bode well for the upcoming Super movie.
Welp, they just replied to me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/fathomevents/status ... 9177524224

Looks like it's dub-only. A damn shame. I'm not as worried about the Super movie since I expect the dub to be around Kai/Battle of Gods/Resurrection F quality, but it would've been really nice to see it in Japanese first.
That really sucks. It would have been nice to see Dragon Ball in Japanese on the big screen. Speaning of seeing things on the big screen, will be interesting to see the reaction to certain scenes on the big screen in Bardock The Father of Goku.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Gligarman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:57 am

No sub? No deal.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm

I wonder if this is a new remaster. If it's not, Bardock's gonna like pretty atrocious on the big screen.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Gligarman wrote:No sub? No deal.
This is pretty much how I feel. I really hope they have Japanese screenings of the new film.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:27 pm

I would prefer sub, but I could probably do dubbed Broly. Bardock on the other hand, hell no. :thumbdown:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:I would prefer sub, but I could probably do dubbed Broly. Bardock on the other hand, hell no. :thumbdown:
Aw, come on, guys... Look at it this way. The Bardock movie already got retconned anyway. NEITHER version is true to what actually happened!

Heck, if anything, the English version seems more in-line with Toriyama's vision, nowadays. Bardock being kinder, and more heroic, than all the other saiyans :lol: .

[spoiler]In case it wasn't obvious; yes, I'm trolling you guys. I'm cracking a joke.[/spoiler]
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:54 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:I would prefer sub, but I could probably do dubbed Broly. Bardock on the other hand, hell no. :thumbdown:
Aw, come on, guys... Look at it this way. The Bardock movie already got retconned anyway. NEITHER version is true to what actually happened!

Heck, if anything, the English version seems more in-line with Toriyama's vision, nowadays. Bardock being kinder, and more heroic, than all the other saiyans :lol: .

[spoiler]In case it wasn't obvious; yes, I'm trolling you guys. I'm cracking a joke.[/spoiler]
I look at it this way. If Toei and/or Funimation want to disregard fans of the Japanese version I will simply take my business elsewhere. Not to mention they lost my support when they changed full price for Resurrection F despite screening a blu-rat quality version in theaters.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:42 am

Gligarman wrote:I look at it this way. If Toei and/or Funimation want to disregard fans of the Japanese version I will simply take my business elsewhere. Not to mention they lost my support when they changed full price for Resurrection F despite screening a blu-rat quality version in theaters.
Hmm...you know, I was initially kidding, but...Minus actually is the new canon now. Is it possible that Toriyama & Toei might consider the movie itself a lesser priority, on account of that? Or would the movie's popularity still demand some degree of reverence from both (moreso Toei, since Toriyama's his own agent)?

The former would definitely be an immense slap in the face to those who've grown up on this show the way VegettoEX has, but...it will be kind of curious seeing just how exactly Toei regards the movie in regards to it's universe. I mean, "Bardock vs. Freeza" is obviously something that happens no matter what, but, aside from that? Most of it's up in the air.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:00 am

Gonna be honest, the idea of the Bardock special's very low-quality JP audio track from the DVD being screened in a cinema doesn't exactly strike me as brilliant. For the movies, they might've been able to get the Dragon Box's audio tracks which are pretty good, but they didn't keep the broadcast audio for Bardock...
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 am

I guess Canada or Australia could be ruled out on participating this year. But good luck to the U.S. patrons!
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:07 am

Well shoot. I still decided to pre-order tickets for Broly on 9/15. That dub at least has a decent translation, even if the voices still sound like pre-Kai FUNi. I just hope they use the Japanese music.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Puto wrote:Gonna be honest, the idea of the Bardock special's very low-quality JP audio track from the DVD being screened in a cinema doesn't exactly strike me as brilliant. For the movies, they might've been able to get the Dragon Box's audio tracks which are pretty good, but they didn't keep the broadcast audio for Bardock...
I doubt they've acquired the Dragon Box masters of the movies yet. So, it'd be the low-quality optical whatever the feature. This might be part of why they're doing this all dub-only.
DHM211 wrote:I wonder if this is a new remaster. If it's not, Bardock's gonna like pretty atrocious on the big screen.
It's gonna be the same master, and Bardock is going to look god-awful.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 pm

While the Bardock dub is somewhat dated, the Broly and Fusion dubs were pretty good since that was around the time they really got their groove. So I am pretty excited to see these on the big screen. Especially since I missed out on both BOG and RoF on the big screen.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:09 am

I hope the dub of DBZ Movie 8 has the Japanese music and not the shitty Nu Metal crap that it had.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:43 am

OmegaRockman wrote:Welp, they just replied to me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/fathomevents/status ... 9177524224

Looks like it's dub-only. A damn shame. I'm not as worried about the Super movie since I expect the dub to be around Kai/Battle of Gods/Resurrection F quality, but it would've been really nice to see it in Japanese first.
I clicked the link and it looks like their reply to you is no longer there... Hopefully this means that they've made a mistake. It certainly seems odd that Balish found evidence of Japanese screenings only for Fathom to tell you otherwise.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:11 am

Hmm... the "remastered" description on the Fathom Events Website is interesting. Per the overall description for the events: "featuring the fully remastered English dubs of three Saiyan classics." If the way in which they worded that is to be trusted, then it would appear as if they are referring to the dubs themselves being remastered and not the video/film. That's how it reads to me, at least. This is repeated once more in the description for the Saiyan Double Feature: "featuring the fully remastered English dub of Bardock The Father of Goku and Fusion Reborn." Now, if that is to be trusted, then it sounds like they're specifically referring to the Bardock dub being remastered and not Fusion Reborn (if they were referring to both, then "dubs" plural would have made more sense). That would, of course, contradict the first description which seems to be referring to all three dubs being remastered. The description for the Broly movie includes no such mention of a remaster.

If they are actually referring to the dubs themselves, then what exactly do they mean by remastered? If they mean that the existing English dubs have been given a simple audio remaster, then that isn't really an event and I wonder why they would even bother mentioning it.

Before you get on my case for reading too far into it, I know that none of this is very likely and that they are probably referring to the Funimation remasters. I know that. However, I want to believe that they are actually redubbing these things and that this isn't just a public screening of our blu-ray copies. I want to believe that, and this gives me hope. Not a lot of hope, mind you, but hope nonetheless.

So I'm hoping that "remastered English dubs" means more than just the Funimation blu-rays, and more than our crappy existing dubs just sounding cleaner. I'm holding out hope for at least one redub, or something that would make these screenings worth going to.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 am

I have a feeling it's just a confusing description, but new dubs would be great! Broly and Fusion Reborn were already okay, but Bardock desperately needs it.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:56 am

If nothing else, I'd kill for a redub of Bardock. The dub for that is just atrocious.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Before you get on my case for reading too far into it, I know that none of this is very likely and that they are probably referring to the Funimation remasters. I know that. However, I want to believe that they are actually redubbing these things and that this isn't just a public screening of our blu-ray copies. I want to believe that, and this gives me hope. Not a lot of hope, mind you, but hope nonetheless.

So I'm hoping that "remastered English dubs" means more than just the Funimation blu-rays, and more than our crappy existing dubs just sounding cleaner. I'm holding out hope for at least one redub, or something that would make these screenings worth going to.
While I've been cynical about the possibility of these screenings being anything more than the Bluray dubs, that was only because I thought it was important to have realistic expectations about these screenings. I agree, though, that calling them as "remastered dubs" is super weird phrasing and does give me a sliver of hope that MAYBE we'll get redubs out of this. I just don't think it's likely, so we should adjust our expectations accordingly.

As for Fathom deleting their reply to me on Twitter, I also hope that it's because they made an honest mistake and that Japanese screenings are a possibility. However, they may have deleted the tweet simply due to the number of negative replies they got rather than due to a mistake - after all, none of the listings were updated to include subtitled screenings. Let's wait and see what happens on that front.

Maybe Funimation and/or Toei will have more information to announce about this (and maybe international screenings of the Super Movie) at Anime Expo. If we don't hear any big announcements there, then I'll be fully convinced that these will just be the current dubs thrown on a projector.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:39 pm

While seeing these movies in theaters would be great, I really have no interest because I have them on DVD already. And I'm not talking about the whole "no sub no watch." I couldn't care less about that. I prefer the dub for M8 and M12 and if I ever want to watch them I can just pop it in my PS4.