"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Puto wrote:Gonna be honest, the idea of the Bardock special's very low-quality JP audio track from the DVD being screened in a cinema doesn't exactly strike me as brilliant. For the movies, they might've been able to get the Dragon Box's audio tracks which are pretty good, but they didn't keep the broadcast audio for Bardock...
I doubt they've acquired the Dragon Box masters of the movies yet. So, it'd be the low-quality optical whatever the feature. This might be part of why they're doing this all dub-only.
DHM211 wrote:I wonder if this is a new remaster. If it's not, Bardock's gonna like pretty atrocious on the big screen.
It's gonna be the same master, and Bardock is going to look god-awful.
i agree recently italia released HD upscale of the dragon movie box provided by toei (the same as japanese vod plateform) with DNR so if they really have remastered the movies like we all want, they should already used the master...

We could be tricked by the so neat and beautiful cels that Toei show on twitter but it just to tease people nothing more.

If they really wanted to show remastered movie , they should have done it in japanese theaters before or at the same time

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 pm

To you guys who are upset about it being not subbed, do y'all not go to movies that much? While there are exceptions like "Pan's " and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", usually foreign language features don't play at big theaters and usually at art-house theaters or independent stuff. From how this talks, it sounds like it would be at a big AMC or Regal theater rather than an art-house theater.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Super Sonic wrote:To you guys who are upset about it being not subbed, do y'all not go to movies that much? While there are exceptions like "Pan's " and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", usually foreign language features don't play at big theaters and usually at art-house theaters or independent stuff. From how this talks, it sounds like it would be at a big AMC or Regal theater rather than an art-house theater.
So that means it can never happen? Interest in the Japanese version of Dragon Ball has grown a lot since Super. Also, we had a listing we could look at and click on that indicated there would be a separate screening in Japanese. So I'd say we were justified in believing it would happen.

It also wouldn't be the first anime to have had separate dub and sub screenings.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Forte224 wrote:It also wouldn't be the first anime to have had separate dub and sub screenings.
In fact, doesn't Funimation do both subtitled and dubbed screenings for most of their theatrical runs of anime films? Making Dragon Ball the exception? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Forte224 wrote:It also wouldn't be the first anime to have had separate dub and sub screenings.
In fact, doesn't Funimation do both subtitled and dubbed screenings for most of their theatrical runs of anime films? Making Dragon Ball the exception? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can't say for sure, I haven't really checked on their other screenings. For whatever reason I remembered seeing this article in particular having that option despite not even knowing what the anime is.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:04 pm

If nothing else, I definitely remember there being dubbed and subbed screenings of the Evangelion Rebuild movies in the USA.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Super Sonic wrote:To you guys who are upset about it being not subbed, do y'all not go to movies that much? While there are exceptions like "Pan's " and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", usually foreign language features don't play at big theaters and usually at art-house theaters or independent stuff. From how this talks, it sounds like it would be at a big AMC or Regal theater rather than an art-house theater.
Whenever my local cinema screens anime, or any foreign content at all really, it's subbed. And it's not infrequent either. And given what I've heard about others' experience seeing foreign films at the cinema, I highly doubt I'm alone in this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:In fact, doesn't Funimation do both subtitled and dubbed screenings for most of their theatrical runs of anime films? Making Dragon Ball the exception? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The only exceptions I know of are Dragon Ball and One Piece. Makes me wonder if maybe Toei's not allowing them to do subtitled screenings, but that's pure speculation.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:The only exceptions I know of are Dragon Ball and One Piece. Makes me wonder if maybe Toei's not allowing them to do subtitled screenings, but that's pure speculation.
That's an interesting observation, but if that's true one would further ponder on why they would have an issue with their audio tracks being exhibited in US theaters?

When I handled screenings at a local con years ago, we screened a lot of Funimation licensed properties, one of which was One Piece Film: Z. I was given a list of films and series that we were allowed to show, and if dubbed or subbed screenings were off-limits, they were noted on a title by title basis. One Piece did not have any specific restrictions, neither did the various Dragon Ball series and films available for screening at that time.

Obviously, the circumstances are different here, but I do think my experience is at least worth mentioning.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:57 am

I'll take distorted audio over a bad adaptation. No sub, no deal.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Ah, ain't life good when things start making sense?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Ah, ain't life good when things start making sense?
Broly re-screening
Bardock re-screening
Gogeta re-screening

That translates to: Broly, Saiyan origins, and fusion all in one movie, the first 2 of which are already confirmed. Mind blown.

:lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Broly re-screening
Bardock re-screening
Gogeta re-screening

That translates to: Broly, Saiyan origins, and fusion all in one movie, the first 2 of which are already confirmed. Mind blown.

The 12 year old me would’ve been excited as all hell for this. Unfortunately, I haven’t been 12 for over a decade. :|

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Broly re-screening
Bardock re-screening
Gogeta re-screening

The 12 year old me would’ve been excited as all hell for this. Unfortunately, I haven’t been 12 for over a decade. :|
Ha, to be fair, I don't actually think that's what's happening and frankly it wouldn't suit an actually good story unless it was very well done. Unless you just mean it's Broly you're not excited about. If that's the case, I'm interested to see what Toriyama does with him. He's already stated he's altered his character after watching the 3 movies he was in, so we'll see how things turn out. As long as it's well written, I don't care if he's Broly or Yamoshi or whoever.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Forte224 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Broly re-screening
Bardock re-screening
Gogeta re-screening

Ha, to be fair, I don't actually think that's what's happening and frankly it wouldn't suit an actually good story unless it was very well done. Unless you just mean it's Broly you're not excited about. If that's the case, I'm interested to see what Toriyama does with him. He's already stated he's altered his character after watching the 3 movies he was in, so we'll see how things turn out. As long as it's well written, I don't care if he's Broly or Yamoshi or whoever.
Personally, I would’ve preferred that we get a completely original villain altogether. I’m tired of Saiyans and Freeza.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:40 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Personally, I would’ve preferred that we get a completely original villain altogether. I’m tired of Saiyans and Freeza.
We knew it would be a Saiyan all along. Besides, we got a new villain with Beerus, Zamasu, and Jiren. I'm fine with this, as long as it's interesting and written well. I've always felt Broly had a great design that was wasted on a bland character. If this "redeems" him then that's cool.
Last edited by Forte224 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 pm

So excited to see this movie, I love Broly and all I need to see is him whooping some tail and I'll be pleased, which he will.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:21 am

We all had our suspicions. It was Fusion Reborn that did it for me, but I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:27 am

WittyUsername wrote:The 12 year old me would’ve been excited as all hell for this. Unfortunately, I haven’t been 12 for over a decade. :|
Flashbacks of King Vegeta, Bardock, Paragus & Freeza all interacting and seeing the downfall of the planet ? Broly done right ? Goku and Vegeta finally fighting as one and eventually using the fusion dance ? I'm not 12 either but that sounds amazing. :mrgreen:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:15 am

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The 12 year old me would’ve been excited as all hell for this. Unfortunately, I haven’t been 12 for over a decade. :|
Flashbacks of King Vegeta, Bardock, Paragus & Freeza all interacting and seeing the downfall of the planet ? Broly done right ? Goku and Vegeta finally fighting as one and eventually using the fusion dance ? I'm not 12 either but that sounds amazing. :mrgreen:
Any confirmation on king vegeta?