Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Who are your least favorite characters of the entire franchise?

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 pm

There is no character in this franchise worse than GT Pan.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Dragon Ball 1-17:
Pilaf
Bacterian
Dr. Slump gang
Tsurusennin
Dragon Ball 17-42:
Nappa
90% of Freeza's army
Freeza most of the time (the anime made me like him a bit more though, same goes for Super)
Cold
Jinzouningen Juukyuugo
Cell in his penultimate form
Babidi and his buddies except for Dabra
Half of the Boo incarnations
Dragon Ball Super (Toyble):
All Zamasu incarnations
Hit
Botamo
Dragon Ball Super (Toei):
Beerus half of the time
Botamo
Frost
Dragon Ball GT:
Dorutaki
Super 17 whenever he runs around with a mullet instead of his hair covering his face
Half of the Xing Long
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Bullza wrote:There is no character in this franchise worse than GT Pan.
I'd argue GT Trunks was even worse lol

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Bullza wrote:There is no character in this franchise worse than GT Pan.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:03 pm

I don't hate Shin. I grew to like Pan, though I do wish her arc had been fuller.

My least favorite characters aren't "useless" ones. My least favorite are the annoying ones. I'm not sure exactly what my criteria are for whom I find annoying, but it's generally characters that are incredibly self-righteous (being a Mary Sue makes it even worse), don't grow or learn from their mistakes. And the most annoying ones have to be around for a while. Time's a huge factor, since characters that come and go don't matter enough for them to be a big pain.

It's all about feel. I bring this up because Bulma should by all rights annoy me, but I like her in spite of her spoiled bratty-ness. Chichi on the other hand bugs me to no end. She's better in the Buu arc, but by then the damage has been done. She's even worse in the anime.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Vegeta in the Androids/Cell sagas, all due to his erratic behavior and being the king at making things worse.
Bajosexto wrote:But nowadays I don't hate/dislike Mr. Satan at all. I've actually come to like his character. I Especially like his first Latin American voice. (Dubbed by Reberto Sen
That's my favorite voice actor of his. I never liked much the ones after as much.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:19 pm

For a balance of dislike with prominence, probably Perfect Cell. He's just so boring.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:40 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:For a balance of dislike with prominence, probably Perfect Cell. He's just so boring.
I felt like he fell flat as a villain, because all he did with the power we feared him getting in previous forms is flaunt it. It honestly felt like he could be talked out of whatever he was doing and just leave, which for a DBZ villain is a pretty fatal flaw.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Torturephile wrote:Vegeta in the Androids/Cell sagas, all due to his erratic behavior and being the king at making things worse.
Bajosexto wrote:But nowadays I don't hate/dislike Mr. Satan at all. I've actually come to like his character. I Especially like his first Latin American voice. (Dubbed by Reberto Sen
That's my favorite voice actor of his. I never liked much the ones after as much.
I think Ricardo Brust did a good job as Mr. Satan. I do like his take on the charater. But Roberto Sen is just better at the role. Bardo Miranda on the other hand is just... bad at voicing Mr. Satan. Well at least that's the impression I got from watching only a couple of clips from Kai 1.0 and the Final Chapters. Though it isn't fair for me to judge his Satan voice based on only 2-3 clips from Kai that I've watched.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Torturephile wrote:Vegeta in the Androids/Cell sagas, all due to his erratic behavior and being the king at making things worse.
I think Ricardo Brust did a good job as Mr. Satan. I do like his take on the charater. But Roberto Sen is just better at the role. Bardo Miranda on the other hand is just... bad at voicing Mr. Satan. Well at least that's the impression I got from watching only a couple of clips from Kai 1.0 and the Final Chapters. Though it isn't fair for me to judge his Satan voice based on only 2-3 clips from Kai that I've watched.
Brust did do a good job, though, I'll admit. Miranda did alright in Super.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Cetra wrote:Dragon Ball 1-17:
Pilaf
Bacterian
Dr. Slump gang
Tsurusennin
Dragon Ball 17-42:
Nappa
90% of Freeza's army
Freeza most of the time (the anime made me like him a bit more though, same goes for Super)
Cold
Jinzouningen Juukyuugo
Cell in his penultimate form
Babidi and his buddies except for Dabra
Half of the Boo incarnations
Dragon Ball Super (Toyble):
All Zamasu incarnations
Hit
Botamo
Dragon Ball Super (Toei):
Beerus half of the time
Botamo
Frost
Dragon Ball GT:
Dorutaki
Super 17 whenever he runs around with a mullet instead of his hair covering his face
Half of the Xing Long
Arale and co.?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 am

There might be other crappy characters like Ribrianne but they aren't too important to the show and don't affect how you feel about the show at large. Like the crappy one off filler characters.

GT Pan though was one of the main reasons why GT wasn't very good though. No other character has made a show as a whole become worse just because that character is terrible.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am

Got to go with Cell. His initial motivation was to become "perfect" and once he did his motivation was then to test himself... and thus resulted in the most tedious, boring and drab arc of DB. In his Perfect form there is nothing remotely interesting about him at least when he was imperfect there was that creepiness about him. Buutenks/Buuhan is also up there as a boring generic talkative villain.

I actually like Shin, his incompetency is always a good laugh.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:40 am

Super 17 and quitetlla didn't do it for me.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:48 am

Distressed by the amount of people here who don't like Emperor Pilaf

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:39 am

I honestly have to say GT Pan. She was just annoying, and this fact was made even worse by the fact that she was barely ever useful.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Kale is definitely up there in my least favorite.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Distressed by the amount of people here who don't like Emperor Pilaf
I like Pilaf but I think his biggest draw is probably Chiba Shigeru. Not sure beyond that.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:55 am

I like pretty much everyone but I don't care much for Future Mai. All she does is get shot and get in the way.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:37 am

Gligarman wrote:I like pretty much everyone but I don't care much for Future Mai. All she does is get shot and get in the way.
Pretty sure she saved Goku, Vegeta and Trunks from getting killed. That's a huge contribution.