Recent interview of Shigeyasu Yamauchi

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Recent interview of Shigeyasu Yamauchi

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:22 am

The interview is in french, but I tried to translate some parts.
https://www.manga-news.com/index.php/ac ... vDWxYQdSrT
https://twitter.com/Shushuttoo/status/1 ... 3706724352

"In France and in the world, we recognize you for the 8th DBZ movie, the one that revolve around the mythical Broly. How did you had the idea for this change, the movie going in other directions than usual ?

Shigeyasu Yamauchi : When I had to work on the Broly movie, I realized that he lacked something, although he is the most powerful Saiyan. It's this solitude of the powerful warrior that I wanted to retranscribe. He can destroy galaxies but is alone compared to Goku, whom he despises but has a family, just like Vegeta. When he loses at the end, he realizes that strength is not just physical, he would have been able to unlock another kind of power if he had something to protect for example."

"So, what do you think about DBS which was made with modern tools ?

Shigeyasu Yamauchi : I think the problem with DBS does not lie in technology but rather in the people who work on it. Not in terms of technical quality but in terms of emotion and will. Before, we would do our best. Maybe, that fighting spirit is not that strong today, we could have all the technology in the world, but if we don't have that spirit we could not do something significant."

I'm sorry for my poor english, I tried my best and Google helped me of course. I hope it's understandable. :lol:
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Recent interview of Shigeyasu Yamauchi

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:40 am

Great work!

I always felt Broly had a ton of untapped potential & this interview supports it.

I get his gripes bout "fighting spirit". DBZ's Movie 8: Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan was straight-up brawl with Broly WWE'fied everyone.

While Super basically just tamed-down the whole "fighting" aspect with "atatatatatata" 30 seconds blurry fists

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 pm

BrolyKale wrote:"I think the problem with DBS does not lie in technology but rather in the people who work on it. Not in terms of technical quality but in terms of emotion and will. Before, we would do our best. Maybe, that fighting spirit is not that strong today, we could have all the technology in the world, but if we don't have that spirit we could not do something significant"
As much as I've enjoyed Super and can't wait for the movie and anime to return, you can feel more enthusiasm in the original anime compared to what they're doing now, both in terms of writing and production.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 am

New message about Broly from Shigeyasu Yamauchi :

https://www.20minutes.fr/arts-stars/cul ... -preferees its still in french

"You are also the creator of Broly, a character who doesn't appear in the manga but who is very popular among fans.

As the title of the first film indicates, he is the most powerful super Saiyan/warrior. But if he is the strongest, he has no reason to lose? Except Broly only has that, his power, while Goku and Vegeta have a family, are ready to sacrifice themselves for their loved ones. I wanted to explore this loneliness and show that physical power was not enough to beat the power of love, friendship, bonds. Broly almost makes me feel bad. He is the darkest character in the Dragon Ball universe, I had to fight to impose him. Originally, I wanted him to say at the end, "Who am I exactly? but they cut the sentence. If I could, I would have liked to deepen his story, his personality."

I find this very interesting and I have hope the new Broly will be pretty interesting. Only with that there is so much to flesh out the character. :thumbup:
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:04 pm

BrolyKale wrote:The interview is in french, but I tried to translate some parts.

Shigeyasu Yamauchi : I think the problem with DBS does not lie in technology but rather in the people who work on it. Not in terms of technical quality but in terms of emotion and will. Before, we would do our best. Maybe, that fighting spirit is not that strong today, we could have all the technology in the world, but if we don't have that spirit we could not do something significant.":
Why is this guy speaking truth?

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Seems like he wanted to make Broly like Jiren. Wonder what stopped him from doing that.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Miracles wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:The interview is in french, but I tried to translate some parts.

Shigeyasu Yamauchi : I think the problem with DBS does not lie in technology but rather in the people who work on it. Not in terms of technical quality but in terms of emotion and will. Before, we would do our best. Maybe, that fighting spirit is not that strong today, we could have all the technology in the world, but if we don't have that spirit we could not do something significant.":
Why is this guy speaking truth?
Yup. It is not a tool that makes a man, but the man behind the tool.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 am

If they seriously make the Broly movie end with the moral that Broly fails because he's just a guy who only has the fact that he's strong and nothing else, it might actually be fun. Because, I mean, he's popular basically because he's got nothing else other than the fact he's strong. It could almost be like a call-out to fans.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:37 pm

then broly was going to be like jiren?
BrolyKale wrote: Shigeyasu Yamauchi : I think the problem with DBS does not lie in technology but rather in the people who work on it. Not in terms of technical quality but in terms of emotion and will. Before, we would do our best. Maybe, that fighting spirit is not that strong today, we could have all the technology in the world, but if we don't have that spirit we could not do something significant."

I'm sorry for my poor english, I tried my best and Google helped me of course. I hope it's understandable. :lol:
although the comment is easy to be "twist" for many

I'll say that I do not agree with many of the DBS fights such as the "hit vs dyspo" or the fight between goku vs caulifla and kale seemed better or as good as some fights of z when returning the techniques and strategies in combat since they had lost with time, I could only "agree" in some terms of writing or harshness