Favorite dragon ball villains

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Favorite dragon ball villains

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 am

This about your favorite dragon ball villains from all series
Mine are king piccolo,Frieza,cooler,broly,shadow dragons,baby,cell,buu,and goku black/Zamasu.
What are your favorite villains?
Last edited by Toxin45 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Favorite dragon ball villains

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:41 am

Freeza

Black

Cell

King Piccolo

Baby

Majin Buu
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:44 am

Janemba, Mira and Towa. For their interesting and unique lore, design and techniques.

Honorable mentions: Goku Black (he doesn't get to be a favorite but I like him a lot) and Fu (not a villain yet but if he becomes one eventually, he'll be ascend to be a favorite).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Frieza, all of Zamasu's various incarnations, Nappa, Saiyan Saga Vegeta, Piccolo Jr. and Beerus if you can count him as a villain.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I like almost all but I guess my top 3 would be Buu, Freeza and Zamasu lol

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:41 pm

I have to go with Freeza, in his Namek arc incarnation anyway. He was so brutal, in control and full of himself. He didn't even fly or walk much on his own, he just used that hover pod. Everything was done for him, but when it came time for him to step in he dominated.

And it was these very things that caused him to be so prideful that led to his downfall. Very interesting villain that consistently cared about himself and no one else. His later Trunks/filler/movie/Super incarnations dampened the character down, but it doesn't affect me when I rewatch the Namek portions at all.

The ToP redeemed him a little for me. But, he wasn't a villain there really.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:49 pm

King Piccolo and Freeza for me, though Freeza has suffered a couple of blows to his status ever since the Namek arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Piccolo Daimao because of the sense of dread the pervades that entire arc.
Piccolo because the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai fight between him and Goku is still my favorite one on one fight in all of DB.
Freeza for the reasons people here have mentioned.
Vegeta for not only his development, but that final fight in the Saiyan arc is brilliant and showcases how tough he is. Too often toughness is shown by the villain tanking an attack. Vegeta thrashes the heroes, but he also takes one hell of an ass kicking. He's beat to crap and exhausted and still keeps going. It's an amazing show of resilience that's so fun to watch.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Freeza for being well...Freeza.

Vegeta for being such an incredibly tough bastard. He really loses that quality from the Freeza arc on.

Raditz for opening up the world in the series. He's also a pretty good example of a villain who is both a real physical threat and a cowardly chickenshit, which you don't see a ton of in the Dragonball.

Zamasu for being a true delusional psycho.

I also think Pilaf is actually really funny, though he's never really a threat.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:39 pm

1-Goku Black
    2-Frieza
      3-Vegeta
        4-Imperfect and Perfect Cell
          5-Cooler
            Honorable mention would be: Kid Buu, Fat Buu, Towa and Mira.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
            Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:59 pm

The first ones that come to mind are Freeza and Piccolo Daimaô, probably because they were scary. First-form Cell, too. I love the horror-movie vibe around his first appearance. Sadly that goes away once the mystery is explained. Maybe it would've been better if Cell couldn't talk, at least in his first form?

During the early Namek arc, when Gohan and Kuririn are paralyzed with fear upon sensing Freeza's power, you really get the sense that Freeza is utterly untouchable, that Gohan & co. are dead if they make just one wrong move.

Piccolo Daimaô is scary because not only does his arc involve the deaths of a whole bunch of martial artists, including several that we know and love, but he also straight up kills Shenlong. I don't think anybody saw that coming. Piccolo takes away the one and only chance (that we know of at that point) of seeing Kuririn, Roshi and the others come back to life. It's really, really bleak, especially in contrast to the gag-filled arcs that came before.

Tao Pai-Pai is another fantastic villain, flyin' on poles and assassinatin' dudes, plus he's the first opponent against whom Goku had no chance (in their first encounter, anyway).

I also like Dabra and the Ginyu squad a lot. I feel like they had a lot of potential as characters, but their development got cut short by their untimely deaths.
            Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
            Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

BrolyKale
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:30 pm

1) Broly and Zamasu
            2) Mira/Towa
            3) Demigra
            4) Freezer
            5) Li Shenron

and that's pretty much it for now.
            Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sunsetshimmer
            I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:10 pm

-Baby
            -Buu
            -Shadow Dragons
            -King Piccolo
            -Broly
            "I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

DestructoDisc
            Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Zamasu, Freeza, Vegeta and Nappa

A21Fan

Post by A21Fan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:58 am

King Piccolo

(Dr. Gero)

Perfect Cell

Super Buu w/ absorptions

Goku Black

(Omega Shenron)

-

And of course i like 21 a lot but i dont consider her to be a "real" villain.

Lord Beerus
            Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:50 pm

- Freeza: Megalomania at its finest. His recent run in the Universal Survival arc breathed some wonderful new life into him.

- Zamasu/Goku Black: A wonderfully fleshed out and the first case of Dragon Ball providing a "hero to villain" type of narrative.

- Cell: Had a great horror movie aura about his initially before becoming a somewhat stock generic doomsday villain. But just enough charisma and ever evolving characterisation to make him stand out

- Majin/Super/Kid Boo: A wonderfully whimsical villain that managed to perfectly find the right balance of comedy and horror to not upset or imbalance the tone of the Majin Boo arc

- Baby: A shockingly well developed and integrated antagonist based on previous lore from Toei

SupremeKai25
            I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:05 pm

My favourite Dragon Ball villain would obviously have to be Fused Zamasu. I fell in love with this character as soon as I saw him for the first time back in November 2016. I adore his personality, his "God" complex, his narcissism, his cruelty and vaingloriousness and, of course, his insanity. Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion, given the fact that he appeared in only two episodes in total, but I genuinely believe that he was wonderfully-written, and his descent into madness was really well done! Perhaps the thing I adore the most about this character is his design. I think that the Saiyan hair looks awesome on a Kai, and the long protruding bang over the right side of his face, which represents Future Zamasu's mohawk, was a very nice touch.

I am extremely biased, even when it comes to Zamasu, and I vastly preferred the "Halo" Fused Zamasu over his Grotesque form. Not that I disliked the latter, mind you, it's just that the initial version of Fused Zamasu that appeared in episode 65 was handsome, sublime, splendid, fabolous and, obviously, divine. A shame that he was ultimately twisted and corrupted, but it was necessary to symbolize the inner turmoil that was taking place inside his body and his own flawed ideals of justice and righteousness that had driven him mad.

Perfect. That's how you write a compelling and convincing villain.

Yuli Ban
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:13 pm

If only he had a better writing team behind him; otherwise, Zamasu hands down. He's one of the only villains in the series that can actually dredge some level of sympathy and he has a proper arc. Like I said, if more competent writers had the wheel, well for one Dragon Ball would probably be a lot different but also Zamasu's entire motivations would have been more understandable and coherent.
            My problem with Zamasu is that he basically sees one species of mortal retain violence over the course of a mere thousand years and then gets threatened when one particular mortal proves to be as strong as he is and uses that to decide to exterminate all life without much prodding or real reflection, nor does he ever get a second opinion (other than his own).
            Even with all these enormous deficiencies, I still say he's the best villain.

In terms of most intimidating, undoubtedly it's Freeza. I actually still get chills when watching or reading through the series and seeing just how terrifyingly hopeless the fight against him on Namek was. It was a situation where literally everything failed and a near-deus ex machina was needed to actually overcome him, and even then he still survived.
            The Yabanverse
            My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Vijay
            Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:34 am

Broly

Kid Boo

Super Janemba

Cell

Frieza

Super Boo

Young Piccolo Daimou

DiegoBrando

Post by DiegoBrando » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:29 am

Raditz, Frieza and King Piccolo are my favourites. I also really like Tenshinhan as a bad guy, altough I wouldn't call him a villain exactly.