So I rewatched Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: So I rewatched Dragon Ball GT

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:That's not true lol
Then why do you say so much that suggests it? :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:42 am

He's the one ALWAYS saying Super is canon. If anything that makes him the opposite of an anime hater.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Bullza wrote: Black Star Dragon Saga
This was the absolute low point of the series, easily. The first two episodes were actually not that bad, they were still on Earth and the main characters were around. Once they leave Earth the series goes to shit.
One of the main reasons it's so bad and one of the worst things about GT as a whole is Pan. Whenever Pan is at the front and center the series takes a nosedive. I have no idea what they were thinking when they decided on that personality for the character.
the problem is that while in dbz has to goku, vegeta, piccolo, gohan and some more of the secondary characters like goten, trunks or the terricolas participating in the corresponding arc
in gt you only focus on 3 characters goku, trunks and pan which makes the adventure very boring ... even though the universe expanded.
goku is nerfed (kid goku )but was not taken advantage, only the teleportation was taken away from him and he was still doing everything in the arcs and was not seen in another role
pan is very different from what it was in the epilogue the same goku admits that it is very similar to chichi and you will imagine the temperament with the others characters without much justification although I admit that I liked their moments with giru are adorable but unfortunately no have development as a warrior which is quite wrong to not have a balance being one of the protagonists although it was a girl gohan was 5 years in z and performed better
Bullza wrote: Baby Saga

This is the high point of the series. This is when they realised what they were doing was boring so they made it more like DBZ. From when they reach M-2 it improves significantly and throughout to the end of the saga except for the episode where Goku played that dice game with Sugoro, it had a decent and lengthy run.

They went back to Earth, they brought some of the other characters into more. Baby was the best villain in GT though he wasn't great.

Super Saiyan 4 I will never understand why it's so popular. The fight with Baby itself wasn't that great because they ruined it by making him an ape which meant no actual hand to hand fighting could be done.

The last episode of the saga where Piccolo dies was probably the best episode in the series. This saga did not have good ideas which it didn't pull very well at all.
it is more decent arch of GT being honest and it is the one that contains 2 of the only 4 fights, that I consider good of gt really.
Goku vs Rildo is quite creative and uses the planet as a very interesting weapon
goku ssj4 vs super baby although it was an unequal fight I must admit that it looked great and with enough impact the best gt scene.
but if the ozaru ruined everything, it's nothing fun to watch goku fight with king kong like most fights pure energy blast boring.
I guess I'll be the only one who did not like the chapter of the death of piccolo dies for an absurdity that goes against his personality and another thing also seemed ridiculous scene of the tears of extreme sadness of pan making the ozaru goku regains consciousness,so ..they would have told the Grandpa Gohan ...
I must say that I liked the scenes of Uub but they wasted it and he had a rather strange fake death
Bullza wrote: Super 17 Saga

From this point GT had no story at all. This was a short and forgettable saga. Pan wasn't around much so that was a plus and they gave the other characters more to do so that was another plus.

But there was no story at all, Dr Myuu and Dr Gero team up, the Android 17's fuse together, he fights Goku for a bit, he dies and then it's all over.

Also the animation really took a dive here.
for me the worst arc of the franchise I only rescue the design of super 17.and the team up of goku and 18
repeated several things of the android arc with dr gero and dr gero 2
the fights gags towards the other villains like cell and frieza is certainly regrettable and embarrassing
as always goku did everything and the other warriors did nothing poor uub his fusion with buu did not have anything of relevance
all the arc was very hurried you can tell they wanted to get it over with this
apparently he changed a lot from what was hell in the anime and manga all for the fanservice of all the villains back like the janemba movie which would not be bad if something was done with it but not ...returned to hell in 2x3
Bullza wrote: Shadow Dragon Saga

This was a longer saga and yet it still had no story to it. It had a good idea with the Dragon Balls being used against them from over use but then there's nothing else to it really. The Shadow Dragons show up, spread out and then by the next episode they've already apparently made their impact even though it's just a day or so later.

There toxic and doing damage to the Earth so Goku and Pan go out to fight and beat them and that's it, that's all there is to the story of it all.

The start of this saga where they come across the first four Dragons is the next lowest point I'm the series and naturally Pan is a main character at this point again. The latter half is better but it's also pretty boring. Vegeta finally has something to actually do after having done nothing for about 60 episodes. The ending was pretty good though, better than DBZ at least.
an idea so interesting but wasted so no more ..
it was the opportunity for the warriors to participate facing each dragon that in some way would have some connection with them but not ... goku and pan are again protagonists where goku does everything again quite boring from that point of view
no dragon seemed really interesting to me except for nuova shenron for her sense of honor and omega shenron
vegeta only for appeared, got ssj 4 and merged with goku is very disappointing just had a fight with nuova shenron which he lost (in fact vegeta in gt never won a fight).well was cool enough that they could do the zansoken while trying to fusion dance
Bullza wrote: Random Pros

1. It had some good ideas.

2. It showed more of the Universe.

3. The animation was mostly consistent.

4. The music was alright.

5. Vegeta's mustache was funny.

Random Cons

1. Tien and Yamcha I'm pretty sure never uttered a word in the series.

2. Gohan does nothing.

3. Piccolo was in perhaps 5 episodes.

4. The Power scaling was a mess.

5. The American Music and the Narrator tried to make a really campy show sound edgy and cool and it sounds ridiculous.

6. Making Goku a kid was a terrible idea.

7. Uub was wasted entirely.

Overall

It's mediocre, it was at its best from around episode 25-40, at that point it was probably a 6/10. At its lowest probably a 4/10 so overall perhaps 5/10. Any comparison to Dragon Ball Super to me is absolutely laughable.

Even though Super has its flaws as well it is a drastically superior show in almost every single way. Super at least feels like a continuation of Z and GT doesn't really. Super always had the main characters around and GT didn't for long portions. Super has the better story, animation, music, original characters, humour and fight scenes. GT.....maybe the better ending if I had to give it something.
fights that I liked
goku vs rildo
ssj4 goku vs super baby 2
ssj4 goku vs nuova shenron
ssj4 gogeta vs omega

I would say that the original GT music is not bad but it is too cheesy at times for what is DB although I thought it was better than the super then came the ost of the arc of black and the tournament of power with "ultimate battle" so if I think that the music of super is better than of gt

depend on tastes the one of GT has better balance in animation but the one of super improved enough in the zamasu arc and tournament arc where truth surpasses it enough
in story, original characters, humour and fight etc I agree

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 am

as much as I love GT... I have to admit one thing the fights are definitely not as good as in DB/Z/S....GT fights are basically slower&shorter DBZ Fights with more Ki attacks

My favorite Figths in GT:
1.Goku Vs Baby Vegeta (IMO the most „DBZisch“ Fight in GT)
2.Goku Vs Rilldo (a very creative Fight that i have Never seen before in DB)
3.Goku vs Omega Shenron
4.Gogeta Vs Omega Shenron (funny Fight)
5.Goku Vs Ledgic (Short but a really good Fight)

But I actually also like these shorter fights:
Goten Vs Baby
Goten Vs Gohan
Vegeta Vs Gohan
Oob Vs Baby
Goku jr Vs Vegeta jr

Super 17 against Goku was a fight that was just ridiculous it looked awesome but it was literally toooooooooo much with the ki attacks
GT Fighter

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:as much as I love GT... I have to admit one thing the fights are definitely not as good as in DB/Z/S....GT fights are basically slower&shorter DBZ Fights with more Ki attacks

3.Goku vs Omega Shenron

Goten Vs Baby
Goten Vs Gohan
Vegeta Vs Gohan
Oob Vs Baby
Goku jr Vs Vegeta jr

Super 17 against Goku was a fight that was just ridiculous it looked awesome but it was literally toooooooooo much with the ki attacks
Finally someone who says the fights are slow! The characters feel weak, too.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:32 pm

sangofe wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:as much as I love GT... I have to admit one thing the fights are definitely not as good as in DB/Z/S....GT fights are basically slower&shorter DBZ Fights with more Ki attacks

3.Goku vs Omega Shenron

Goten Vs Baby
Goten Vs Gohan
Vegeta Vs Gohan
Oob Vs Baby
Goku jr Vs Vegeta jr

Finally someone who says the fights are slow! The characters feel weak, too.
Slower Fights> tatattatatatatata DBZ Fights are Perfect Imo
GT Fighter

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:49 pm

sangofe wrote:Finally someone who says the fights are slow! The characters feel weak, too.
Not only are they slow but there's barely any choreography to them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:09 am

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:Finally someone who says the fights are slow! The characters feel weak, too.
Sure there is, Goku does at least a Ka Me Ha Me Ha in every episode he's involved.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:20 am

sangofe wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Sure there is, Goku does at least a Ka Me Ha Me Ha in every episode he's involved.
Love me some SSJ4 Kamehameha x10. Animation really well and you can actually feel the intensity of the scene. Unlike in Super where a basic kamehameha is used every fight, drawn in the same pose every time.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:28 am

Timetraveller wrote:
sangofe wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Love me some SSJ4 Kamehameha x10. Animation really well and you can actually feel the intensity of the scene. Unlike in Super where a basic kamehameha is used every fight, drawn in the same pose every time.
The Kamehameha looks great but it’s definitely overused in GT
GT Fighter

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Bullza wrote:It's the character designs as well, they're really bad for the most part.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

They're just absolutely ghastly. Super has some iffy designs as well but over all its drastically better though this would be expected as Toriyama and Toyotaro are doing the designs for them. Even Baby I never had a good design.

Rildo, Super 17 and Syn/Omega Shenron had the best designs.
and oceanus, I think a horrendous character and not only for the design ruined if not because it is only a "gag" of the 2 that we already had and goku defeat oceanus in base.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:22 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Bullza wrote:It's the character designs as well, they're really bad for the most part.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

They're just absolutely ghastly. Super has some iffy designs as well but over all its drastically better though this would be expected as Toriyama and Toyotaro are doing the designs for them. Even Baby I never had a good design.

and oceanus, I think a horrendous character and not only for the design ruined if not because it is only a "gag" of the 2 that we already had and goku defeat oceanus in base.
Oceanus,Ledgic&Mutchi Mutchi Bad designs? lol
GT Fighter

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:22 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Oceanus,Ledgic&Mutchi Mutchi Bad designs? lol
of the previous ones I do not mention. it but of oceanus if it seems to me yeah
I liked the initial design but I did not like the true form at all, apart from the fact that that form does not make it stronger just ruins it and it's very overloaded

The same .. when it comes to designs will always depend on "opinions"
in reality that would be the least import that for example that the absence of the creation of new characters

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Pan being different from those ages is not a bad thing at all. Kids change.

And focusing on three characters is in no way boring. The very first arc in DB focused on two and it's an incredibly fun two hander as Goku and Bulma play off each other really well.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:14 pm

ABED wrote:Pan being different from those ages is not a bad thing at all. Kids change.

And focusing on three characters is in no way boring. The very first arc in DB focused on two and it's an incredibly fun two hander as Goku and Bulma play off each other really well.
Well it is bad when focusing on one character with two cheerleaders. In a series that is centered around fighting there's only one relevant fighter hence the infamous nickname for the series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote:Pan being different from those ages is not a bad thing at all. Kids change.

Well it is bad when focusing on one character with two cheerleaders. In a series that is centered around fighting there's only one relevant fighter hence the infamous nickname for the series.
Better than focusing one main character and an ensemble of cheerleaders.

It's such a bullshit claim. DB is Goku's story, not an ensemble.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 pm

ABED wrote:Better than focusing one main character and an ensemble of cheerleaders.
That's essentially what they do after the Black Star Dragon Ball arc. There's Goku and then everybody else is completely irrelevant and accomplishes absolutely nothing whatsoever. He's literally the only relevant fighter among the main cast in any capacity. The term "Goku Time" is well deserved.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 am

It might be Goku's story but even in the original Dragon Ball, other characters had their own significant fights thanks to the Tournaments. Yamcha, Master Roshi, Krillin and Tien all had a good few major fights for themselves.

In GT there wasn't much in that way of that at all. There was Vegeta's fight with Gohan and Uub's fight with Baby and that was practically it. A few other brief fights here and there but otherwise it was all Goku.

Gohan didn't do all that much. Piccolo did nothing. To say Trunks was a major character he didn't really do anything either. Uub had a lot of potential especially with how Z ended but aside from his fight with Baby he was just fodder after that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:14 am

PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote:Better than focusing one main character and an ensemble of cheerleaders.
That's essentially what they do after the Black Star Dragon Ball arc. There's Goku and then everybody else is completely irrelevant and accomplishes absolutely nothing whatsoever. He's literally the only relevant fighter among the main cast in any capacity. The term "Goku Time" is well deserved.
So what, it's his story. Pan contributes in ways that aren't about her power. Even when other fighters were "relevant" they were often just sacrificial pawns waiting for Goku to show up.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:11 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Both GT and DBS ruined Vegeta in different way.

GT Vegeta was useless but had best character development that actually followed Buu saga
DBS Vegeta is much more useful and has more spotlight, but personality-wise he is trash and very often behaves like his Cell saga self.
At no point does DBS Vegeta ever actually do or say anything like his Cell saga self. I don't know why people keep making this retarded comparison when any honest look into the series shows that it is false.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.