So I rewatched Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So I rewatched Dragon Ball GT

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:04 am

The problem I've found with GT's fights is that, more than ever, it defaults to generic ki attacks and maybe a few punches if we're lucky. There's no interest or battle strategy at all.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:57 am

DiegoBrando wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Bullza wrote:As chance would have it Episode 25 to 29 was to me my favourite part of the show because it involved other characters in the action for once.
I went into GT really wanting to like it as I'm watching it in Japanese, cut out the episodes I hated (6-15) and even kept my expectations low but even after doing all that it's still a disappointment. I just finished re-watching the original 2 anime (DB&Kai) a few weeks ago and the drop in quality is very noticeable. This is exactly why I hope everyone currently involved with DB wait awhile before moving on once Toriyama's done cause I don't want this to happen again. GT had a completely new staff work on it as the one that worked on the 2 original anime moved on to new projects so had Toei waited a few years and gotten them all back together I think GT would've been very different and better.

In terms of Vegeta, he's by far the biggest disappointment for me, despite being handled better than the others. I couldn't be happier for what Super's done with him as he truly lived up to his potential after reforming during the Kid Buu fight. He's keeping up with Goku, got an original form, got to take down a destroyer candidate and for icing on the cake, got to beat down Freeza. Thank you Super for showing everyone what my #1 anime character is truly capable of. :clap:
''They gave my favourite character a power boost and changed his hair color! I am so happy, this is awesome!!!''
Getting a power boost and new form in an anime about power boosts and new forms is kind of important for a character to stay relevant.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:11 am

I honestly have never seen GT really. I saw like the first two episodes and maybe got bits and pieces of episodes when it was on tv back in the day. I bought it a couple months ago but I really have no desire to watch it probably ever. I don't know if I will ever be that bored. Not trying to exaggerate or anything but I am just not that curious about it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am

Blondiebear_17 wrote:I honestly have never seen GT really. I saw like the first two episodes and maybe got bits and pieces of episodes when it was on tv back in the day. I bought it a couple months ago but I really have no desire to watch it probably ever. I don't know if I will ever be that bored. Not trying to exaggerate or anything but I am just not that curious about it.
Then why buy it?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:08 am

ABED wrote:
Blondiebear_17 wrote:I honestly have never seen GT really. I saw like the first two episodes and maybe got bits and pieces of episodes when it was on tv back in the day. I bought it a couple months ago but I really have no desire to watch it probably ever. I don't know if I will ever be that bored. Not trying to exaggerate or anything but I am just not that curious about it.
Then why buy it?
It's not uncommon for people to buy something only to watch/play it a lot later then they planned.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:18 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:
Then why buy it?
It's not uncommon for people to buy something only to watch/play it a lot later then they planned.
I get that, but he said he bought it with "really no desire to watch it ever." He's not curious about it. Even if he eventually comes around to it, there are cheaper options, like a month's subscription to Hulu.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 am

ABED wrote:
sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:Then why buy it?
I get that, but he said he bought it with "really no desire to watch it ever." He's not curious about it. Even if he eventually comes around to it, there are cheaper options, like a month's subscription to Hulu.
He is a completist?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Alright, I just found it odd.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:57 pm

ABED wrote:Alright, I just found it odd.
It was only 20 bucks when I bought it so I think that was a good deal but I would probably never pay more than that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Fair enough, but that's 20 bucks down the drain for a series that you don't care to watch and will just sit their on the shelf. Even if you did try to watch it, it doesn't seem like you'll get very far. It would be like me spending $20 on Fullmetal Alchemist. I found the 12 or so episodes I did see to be ridiculously boring. In the streaming era, there are so many options, I can't get past a handful of episodes of something I'm not enjoying. Seeing as though GT doesn't find its footing (if it ever does) until a ways down the road, I'd say it's best to legally stream the series for free.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:11 pm

KBABZ wrote:The problem I've found with GT's fights is that, more than ever, it defaults to generic ki attacks and maybe a few punches if we're lucky. There's no interest or battle strategy at all.
I'd agree with the exception of the Luud fight. That had a pretty interesting dynamic, with Goku on the outside and everyone else on the inside. That's something I could have seen happen with Cell or Buu.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:16 pm

Strategy is an interesting point, but GT's fights biggest faults are the lack of physical impact.

Though in fairness, Goku does defeat Super 17 with a clever strategy.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:13 am

ABED wrote:Fair enough, but that's 20 bucks down the drain for a series that you don't care to watch and will just sit their on the shelf. Even if you did try to watch it, it doesn't seem like you'll get very far. It would be like me spending $20 on Fullmetal Alchemist. I found the 12 or so episodes I did see to be ridiculously boring. In the streaming era, there are so many options, I can't get past a handful of episodes of something I'm not enjoying. Seeing as though GT doesn't find its footing (if it ever does) until a ways down the road, I'd say it's best to legally stream the series for free.
I could watch it on the funimation app but I think It's worth owning just for the OP and mustache Vegeta

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Even if it's not that great it's definitely worth watching if you're a fan because there are some interesting things about it like them going to other worlds and seeing new species and stuff.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Weird thing about the fights in GT is that the side fights - Baby Goten vs. Gohan for example, and especially Baby Gohan vs. Vegeta at the wind farm - are often more satisfying than the big arc fights like Goku vs. Baby Vegeta. Those side fights match some of the best main battles in Z, but the main struggles often feel weightless in comparison.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Nineteen wrote:Weird thing about the fights in GT is that the side fights - Baby Goten vs. Gohan for example, and especially Baby Gohan vs. Vegeta at the wind farm - are often more satisfying than the big arc fights like Goku vs. Baby Vegeta. Those side fights match some of the best main battles in Z, but the main struggles often feel weightless in comparison.
Well it was hard to make good fight against ape, but previous fights against Baby were good to me.
The same goes for Goku vs Super 17.
Fight with Omega Shenron was pretty disappointing after Vegeta arrived. The best part has to be episode 59. It was good and looked very good as well.

Still, Goku vs Rildo outshines them at some parts.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Nineteen wrote:Weird thing about the fights in GT is that the side fights - Baby Goten vs. Gohan for example, and especially Baby Gohan vs. Vegeta at the wind farm - are often more satisfying than the big arc fights like Goku vs. Baby Vegeta. Those side fights match some of the best main battles in Z, but the main struggles often feel weightless in comparison.
Well it was hard to make good fight against ape, but previous fights against Baby were good to me.
The same goes for Goku vs Super 17.
Fight with Omega Shenron was pretty disappointing after Vegeta arrived. The best part has to be episode 59. It was good and looked very good as well.

Still, Goku vs Rildo outshines them at some parts.
The fight between Goku and Great Ape Vegeta was good in part because it was shorter.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Personally, the problem for GT on it's original airing was the art direction it took. It looked so out of place compared to its predecessor(s). On a second viewing, I feel the same problem. For a sequel, it looks farther removed from the source it came from. Not saying that this can be a bad thing, but in GT's case, it didn't work.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 pm

It's the character designs as well, they're really bad for the most part.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

They're just absolutely ghastly. Super has some iffy designs as well but over all its drastically better though this would be expected as Toriyama and Toyotaro are doing the designs for them. Even Baby I never had a good design.

Rildo, Super 17 and Syn/Omega Shenron had the best designs.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 am

This whole discussion is the exact reason I made this video to begin with.

GT is full of great ideas, but needed better execution
Bullza wrote:It's the character designs as well, they're really bad for the most part.

They're just absolutely ghastly. Super has some iffy designs as well but over all its drastically better though this would be expected as Toriyama and Toyotaro are doing the designs for them. Even Baby I never had a good design.

Rildo, Super 17 and Syn/Omega Shenron had the best designs.
They're aliens or otherworldly beings. They don't have to meet Earthly expectations