Old DVD/VHS ads odd in Choice of Sister Series advertised vs today

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Old DVD/VHS ads odd in Choice of Sister Series advertised vs today

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Was thinking recently you know how the old DBZ dvds and vhs tapes of the early 2000s used to advertise Blue Gender and Yu Yu Hakusho as they were at the time Funimation's only other properties at first. Would you guys say compared to today with the more recent DB releases the former probably wouldn't be advertised on them due to its more mature content? Know with other similar shows to DB like One Piece and Fairy Tail, they advertise the DB franchise and other shonen action shows, but not really more mature audience series that the company also licenses. Kinda like how you don't see R-rated films' trailers at a PG movie. Admit I haven't watched any recent releases of DB in a long time, but are there ads for "Attack on Titan", "Blood-C", or any other really violent shows on Super or Kai Final Chapters releases? I'm assuming the fanservice heavy shows aren't advertised, but would assume the really violent shows also aren't. Know OP and FT don't advertise those kind of series. Hence why I say it's kinda funny that Blue Gender got advertised back then on DB releases, but probably wouldn't be now.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Old DVD/VHS ads odd in Choice of Sister Series advertised vs today

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:30 am

I don't know anything about Blue Gender, but Yu Yu Hakusho very much made sense to advertise alongside Dragon Ball. Ki attacks, afterlife, the fighting tournaments -- even though obviously it's different, in some ways I always got the same feel from it as I got from Dragon Ball.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Old DVD/VHS ads odd in Choice of Sister Series advertised vs today

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:07 pm

I would also say that YYH gives a similar feel. And haven't seen Blue Gender, but heard it's really violent and had some sex scenes so when AS aired it in 2003, (this was back when they wouldn't go over TV14, and the HandBanana ep of Aqua Teens wouldn't fly) had to make cuts to it.