Are you excited about the Heroes anime? Or not?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akuma Johnson

Are you excited about the Heroes anime? Or not?

Post by Akuma Johnson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:25 am

July 1st is around the corner. And the Heroes anime would premiere it's first episode. Based on the preview stuff aired in the past few weeks and the character designs.......

a. Would you prefer that to Super?
b. Your general opinions on Heroes adaptation.
c. Would you enjoy it?

So, let's begin the thread shall we?
Last edited by Akuma Johnson on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball sucks lmao
Discord username (with tag) - Razius#2781

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Are you excited about the Heroes anime? Or not?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:30 am

Somewhere above apathetic.

Heroes is campy dumb fan-service with absolutely zero impact on the larger production of the "core" franchise, serving as a continuous stepping-stone for younger fans to become introduced and indoctrinated into the Dragon World. It's completely harmless. It exists and it is what it is. The original story isn't going anywhere.

I'll watch Golden Coola and Trunks break out of jail with Kappei Yamaguchi slicing through time while a dumb monster Saiyan in shackles grunts on and on about stuff. Sure. It'll be stupid and colorful, worthy of neither praise nor derision.

If it winds up being anything more than that, well, that's delightful.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:36 am

Akuma Johnson wrote:a. Would you prefer this to Super?
Totally. New, real and more awesome content coming in to this franchise. One that is not afraid to bring other lore, not afraid of stepping out of the safe zone. More character development for characters that, if it was up to the "main series", we would die and they would never become something more than what they were in their appearances (such as Cooler and his Movie 5, for example).
Akuma Johnson wrote:b. Your general opinions on Heroes adaptation.
WHY IT TOOK SO LONG, FOR DENDE'S SAKE!? I know Heroes didn't have a plot back then, but still, if they wanted, they could come up with something by that time. I'm glad it's being done even if it took this long, obviously.
Akuma Johnson wrote:c. Would you enjoy it?
Of course. I like what I see in the arcade and manga, seeing those events in an anime format would certainly be an amazing experience too.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:33 am

Not particularly. I was cautiously optimistic about maybe having some decent animation, but a recent preview makes it look like it will be pretty poor. Not to mention the bland character designs.

I can't imagine the story will be anything special. Just a bunch of fan service characters fighting either each other, or a bunch of (bad) Deviant Art tier characters. Maybe I'll be surprised, but this seems like nothing but a cheap cash grab. Even more so than Super.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:40 am

VegettoEX wrote: I'll watch Golden Coola and Trunks break out of jail with Kappei Yamaguchi slicing through time while a dumb monster Saiyan in shackles grunts on and on about stuff. Sure. It'll be stupid and colorful, worthy of neither praise nor derision.
So over the top nonsense. Classic Dragon Ball which is why I will be watching it and waiting for it in excitement.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am

Not at all I'm afraid. If it's legally available I will definitely give it a try as it is still Dragon Ball, but there is nothing about it that I find really appealing.
Also. I really don't like Fuu's design. Kinda reminds me of Kabuto, but with worse clothes.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am

Excited? Not really, no. Sounds very fanfiction-ish for my taste (which is kind of expected). I may eventually watch it someday, but I'm not in any rush to do so...

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 am

Cetra wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: I'll watch Golden Coola and Trunks break out of jail with Kappei Yamaguchi slicing through time while a dumb monster Saiyan in shackles grunts on and on about stuff. Sure. It'll be stupid and colorful, worthy of neither praise nor derision.
So over the top nonsense. Classic Dragon Ball which is why I will be watching it and waiting for it in excitement.
The type of over the top nonsense and excessive fan service that Heroes goes for is most certainly not classic Dragon Ball in the slightest.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:51 am

Forte224 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
The type of over the top nonsense and excessive fan service that Heroes goes for is most certainly not classic Dragon Ball in the slightest.
But you basically described the ToP in a nutshell.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:57 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
But you basically described the ToP in a nutshell.
Yeah? And where exactly did I defend Super or the ToP? I also called Super a cash grab in my first post. I don't value Super much and I don't think I'll value this much either. But at least the ToP didn't give us cheesy unbelievable crap to the degree of SSB vs SS4 Goku.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Forte224 wrote: But you basically described the ToP in a nutshell.
Yeah? And where exactly did I defend Super or the ToP? I also called Super a cash grab in my first post. I don't value Super much and I don't think I'll value this much either. But at least the ToP didn't give us cheesy unbelievable crap to the degree of SSB vs SS4 Goku.[/quote]

Sorry, I thought you included DBS in the "Classic DB" for some reason.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: But you basically described the ToP in a nutshell.
Yeah? And where exactly did I defend Super or the ToP? I also called Super a cash grab in my first post. I don't value Super much and I don't think I'll value this much either. But at least the ToP didn't give us cheesy unbelievable crap to the degree of SSB vs SS4 Goku.
Sorry, I thought you included DBS in the "Classic DB" for some reason.[/quote]
Oh got it haha, no not at all. Not sure what's up with the quoting by the way. But, we know who said what.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:35 pm

Forte224 wrote:But at least the ToP didn't give us cheesy unbelievable crap to the degree of SSB vs SS4 Goku.
Care to elaborate on that?

~ Day of the Machines ~

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Forte224 wrote:But at least the ToP didn't give us cheesy unbelievable crap to the degree of SSB vs SS4 Goku.
Care to elaborate on that?
Yeah, but only if you acknowledge the words "to the degree of" in my post, AND if you acknowledge that I've already said I think Super and Heroes are both heartless cash grabs.

Anyway, Super didn't literally give us Goku vs Goku while using the 2 most fan-servicey forms possible. That alone exceeds anything Super did.

And no, Goku Black isn't the same thing. It's not Goku vs Goku. It's Goku vs a completely separate character in Goku's body.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Forte224 wrote: The type of over the top nonsense and excessive fan service that Heroes goes for is most certainly not classic Dragon Ball in the slightest.
Excessive fan service ? Yes and no. Over the top nonsense of the same magnitude? Yes.

And when I say "classic" in my post I get to decide what I mean with that. Classic does not mean "original series" here in this context. And I mean vol. 1-42, GT and Super with those sequels highly relying on such from traits established before already so much to the extent that the franchise is known for them because they are "normal" for it. So the normal stuff that is consumed mainly by the broader mass.
Last edited by Cetra on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:50 pm

And no, Goku Black isn't the same thing. It's not Goku vs Goku. It's Goku vs a completely separate character in Goku's body.
Thank you! Seriously, the amount of people that say "Goku Black is just an Evil Goku" is so bothersome.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Forte224 wrote:Anyway, Super didn't literally give us Goku vs Goku while using the 2 most fan-servicey forms possible. That alone exceeds anything Super did.
Why that exceeds? As far as I remember, Goku like to fight while him and his opponent are at their maximum. It's "crap" because they are using their two most powerful transformations?

While both Goku are using their most powerful transformation to fight, Vegetto, Freeza and Trunks were blatantly brought back because of fanservice. So how exactly what Heroes is doing exceed Dragon Ball Super?

~ Day of the Machines ~

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Cetra wrote:
Forte224 wrote: The type of over the top nonsense and excessive fan service that Heroes goes for is most certainly not classic Dragon Ball in the slightest.
Excessive fan service ? Yes and no. Over the top nonsense of the same magnitude? Yes.

And when I say "classic" in my post I get to decide what I mean with that. Classic does not mean "original series" here in this context. And I mean vol. 1-42, GT and Super with those sequels highly relying on such from traits established before already so much to the extent that the franchise is known for them because they are "normal" for it. So the normal stuff that is consumed mainly by the broader mass.
I'm not understanding you at all here. Classic doesn't mean original series but it also does mean original series since you mentioned 1-42?

I realize you get to decide (I guess) what "classic" means but you should make clear what you're referring to. It's not the same type of over the top that DB/Z had if that's what you mean.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Anyway, Super didn't literally give us Goku vs Goku while using the 2 most fan-servicey forms possible. That alone exceeds anything Super did.
Why that exceeds? As far as I remember, Goku like to fight while him and his opponent are at their maximum. It's "crap" because they are using their two most powerful transformations?

While both Goku are using their most powerful transformation to fight, Vegetto, Freeza and Trunks were blatantly brought back because of fanservice. So how exactly what Heroes is doing exceed Dragon Ball Super?
You know what? I don't care enough about these 2 soulless products to continue past this post. So, here goes: Goku SSB vs Goku SS4 makes no sense. The 2 forms don't exist in the same continuity (unless you want to argue that Goku just decides not to use SSB in GT, or he forgets about it, both of which would be extremely poor arguments), therefore bringing them together makes no sense. Super has plot holes and fan service and yada yada but Vegetto, Freeza and Trunks existing isn't in and of itself a contradiction of the plot.

Also, how is having a non-sensical SSB vs SS4 fight NOT blatant fan service? Does those 2 forms duking it out service the story in any way? The answer is no.

But like I said, I'm wasting my time here and won't be replying further. It's just making me grumpy.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Forte224 wrote: I'm not understanding you at all here. Classic doesn't mean original series but it also does mean original series since you mentioned 1-42?
No, by that I mean, since it seemed to me like you were basing your post around understanding classic as original series, that I don't mean JUST vol. 1-42. I mean more than that. Everything that has inherited the most well known traits and - well that's opening another argument - the spirit that was born through vol. 1-42. And that is why I said "I don't mean 1-42" and then said "I mean 1-42, GT and Super". I could have added a "just" to make it easier to understand. Or simply have said "the main products" which is why I said the products that are mainly consumed by the mass.
Forte224 wrote: It's not the same type of over the top that DB/Z had if that's what you mean.
And that is exactly where I disagree. Dragon Ball's main products were extremely hyperbolic all the time. It being bringing in ridiculously powerful bosses all the time whose farts are stronger than the last ones or the God of the God God Gods or Demonic Boo in a this time sexier than before form, Michael Bay Action scenes, 1337 transformations where your hair and surely some other parts of your body get longer to indicate it is a stronger transformation, transformations where your boobs grow bigger even though breasts are fat meaning they should reduce. It all stacked and stacked and stacked even more. It is so over the top that Toei pretty much only makes things for the sake of coolness without often bringing in anything but "its the power of the good side (can be replaced here by other fairytale powers) and looks stylish", which makes a lot of fans mad who are way too serious when it comes to their self-invented and by any consumer different power logic.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy