Do you prefer SSJB or SSJ4?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Do you prefer SSJB or SSJ4?

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:22 am

Which one do you prefer and why?
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Do you prefer SSJB or SSJ4?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:39 am

I think the answer is obvious and rather popular - SSJ4.

Reasons?
-It had very original and unique look
-It actually fits Goku being based on Sun Wukong
-It combines Oozaru with SSJ
-It brought back apes that were totally forgotten
-It actually makes sense
-Everyone has different look as SSJ4
-It had very emotional transformation, while SSJB's transformation was very disappointing and quick
-You could actually feel the power of it, while SSJB is being used for everything making it look like regular SSJ
-It has the biggest kill count out of all forms and it was in series for only 30 episodes
-Goku becomes more serious
-Red Kamehameha X10 looks badass
-It's the most stable form. Even when unconcious and almost powerless, Goku didn't lose it. He was only losing it in the most extreme situations like being hit by his own Kamehameha X10 or self destructing.

The only real pros of SSJB i can come with are:
-It has new aura (ugly, but new)
-It allows using Kaioken
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Akuma Johnson

Post by Akuma Johnson » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 am

I don't prefer any of them.
Dragon Ball sucks lmao
Discord username (with tag) - Razius#2781

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 am

Despite how mishandled it was, I prefer Blue.

I think 4 is overrated. Everyone praises the concept and the design, but I don't see the appeal. The design just feels like fan-fictiony escalation mixed with try-hard 90s edginess, while the concept just isn't that interesting. "Oh don't you see? It brings back the monkey aesthetic and ties in with the Saiyan lore!" Yeah? And?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:58 am

Kataphrut wrote:Despite how mishandled it was, I prefer Blue.

I think 4 is overrated. Everyone praises the concept and the design, but I don't see the appeal. The design just feels like fan-fictiony escalation mixed with try-hard 90s edginess, while the concept just isn't that interesting. "Oh don't you see? It brings back the monkey aesthetic and ties in with the Saiyan lore!" Yeah? And?
So you prefer a simple recolor?

Neither are great, but I'll give the edge to SS4.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:02 am

I'll also go with Ssj4, although I still like Blue. Ssj4 has this next level vibe to it thanks to the complete change in design while Blue still feels like it's part of the original Ssj which I guess was the point as it's designed be Toriyama.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:03 am

ABED wrote:

I prefer the simplicity. Sue me.

Really though, I think it would have been better if Blue and God had been one and the same, or if God had never come back. That would have made the recolouring less egregious.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 am

Super Saiyan Blue. It makes that dork Goku look like a God, instead of an animal.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:09 am

Kataphrut wrote:
ABED wrote:

I prefer the simplicity. Sue me.

Really though, I think it would have been better if Blue and God had been one and the same, or if God had never come back. That would have made the recolouring less egregious.
I will sue you and I'll be getting Jackie Chiles to represent me.

If Super Saiyan 4 wasn't the fourth damn iteration of Super Saiyan, I would prefer it hands down. I don't care for there being so many transformations for one race.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 am

Super Saiyan 4. As Akira Toriyama and Toyotarō have lost their respective touches on making Super Saiyan Blue look like an awesome transformation for anything or anyone to strive for.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 am

ABED wrote:

Well, the aura isn't a re-color and its sound is new too. I think I prefer SSB because it's, as someone else said, a bit more simplistic. And frankly the blue does look nice, recolor or not. There's too much going on with SS4 in my opinion.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:30 am

Forte224 wrote:
ABED wrote:

Well, the aura isn't a re-color and its sound is new too. I think I prefer SSB because it's, as someone else said, a bit more simplistic. And frankly the blue does look nice, recolor or not. There's too much going on with SS4 in my opinion.
There's simple and then there's bland. Super Saiyan was simple. I'm a fan of minimalism, but I don't think there's too much going on with SS4. Remember the fan drawings of Super Saiyan 5? That's elaborate.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:36 am

ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
ABED wrote: So you prefer a simple recolor?

There's simple and then there's bland. Super Saiyan was simple. I'm a fan of minimalism, but I don't think there's too much going on with SS4. Remember the fan drawings of Super Saiyan 5? That's elaborate.
Fair enough. I don't think SS4 is badly designed, but I just prefer SSB. Just like I prefer SS1 over SS3. The simpler the better. And, once again, I really like the blue color.

But uh, yeah. Nothing like those SS5 designs (at least the ones I saw in the...late 90s/early 00s?) I do remember those from back in the day. Younger me was so excited for it and today I'm just like "Huh?"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:38 am

If this had been the first of its kind I might agree, but after 3 forms, a new one that looks distinct was a welcome change.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:06 am

I prefer Blue’s simpler look, but SSJ4 also looks gorgeous when drawn well.
Unfortunately, both the forms look like ass in those examples you posted.
I would use Toriyama’s drawings for comparison. He only drew each form once but he did a great job with both.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:18 pm

SSGSS. Light blue is my favourite colour and I love how ethereal the aura looks. SS4 isn't bad by any means vastly better than SS3 but I think the popularity and success of SSGSS & UI show that simple is sometimes better.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Super Saiyan 4 hands down. Not even a competition for me.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:26 pm

They're both middle of the road transformations in my theoretical list of favorites. I liked ssj4 long ago because it was the only way to get adult Gokû back in GT and it shares it's magenta fur color with ssjg Gokû's magenta hair color. Magenta is one of my favorite colors in general. I still like ssj4's eyes and black hair, but I'm not so big on the furry arms in general anymore. I'd like him better without fur, but then that's just long haired UI Omen at that point.

Ssjblue I initially couldn't stand because it was replacing ssjg, but now that blue is just another transformation and ssjg isn't gone really I'm enjoying it.

So I guess the answer is I like them both about the same, maybe blue a little bit more, but it's negligible.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Honestly, I like SSB more.

I like the idea of going back to the basics and making the original SS form powerful again in a new and different way. Whilst SS4 is cool with the return of the Great Ape as a source of power, I myself never really liked tails on Saiyans as a whole, not to mention that the form is a tad too much on the bulging muscular side for me; the fur isn't exactly great-looking in my eyes either.

Additionally, SSB being a god-form with Ki that can't be detected by lower mortals has always been really fascinating to me. Also, blue is just flat-out my favourite colour.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:26 pm

Super Saiya-jin Four.

#1) Because the design is superior.

• SS4 has that saiya-jin visual trait that the series was lacking, that thing that made clear they are alien.

• SSB, most lazy transformation design ever, is just SS, but in blue.

No one defended that when it was done in the DBAF fan art, but once is copied by Toriyama, "oh, I like the simplicity".

Simplicity is SS2, SSB is just being lazy.

#2) It makes sense.

SS4 is acquired by fusin the 2 natural transformations of the Saiya-jin, SS & Ōzaru, SSB is acquired by fully controlling SSG and turning SS.

How one acquires SSG again?

Ah, right, by holding hands with pure hearts, lol.

Another ridiculous thing fans wouldn't support if it wasn't done by Toriyama himself.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.