Do you prefer SSJB or SSJ4?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you prefer SSJB or SSJ4?

Post by Analytic » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Super Saiyan 4 by a landslide. Besides the aforementioned points of SS4 actually having a creative design and being explained well rather than just causing confusion, I really like that certain traits vary by user, like Goku, Vegeta, and Gogeta all having different eye and fur colors. The only thing I don't really like are the "magic pants" but out-of-universe I can see why that decision was made.

Another thing I didn't like about SSG and SSB is once DBS started, they were basically treated as the successors of SS3 instead of a different line of transformations all together which I think would make more sense. The GTPF at least elaborates that SS4 is most likely a different line of transformations and only called "Super Saiyan 4" out of convenience.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:05 pm

I like both forms, but imo SS4 is overrated. Just the look of "bigger and more hair!" was VERY exaggerated with SS4 (even SS3 was too far for me). However, it also has some of the best lore in the series. And while SS4 was shown to be very powerful in the Baby Arc, imo it looks weak starting in the Super 17 Arc. He gets destroyed by Super 17, finishing him off in Base Form, and used it against 4 of the Shadow Dragons, only killing 2 (?) of them with the form.

SSB has an amazing aura, and when the hair doesn't look teal, the design is pretty good too, if too simplistic. The lore is pretty great too, but lacking compared to SS4. One problem with the form is that it lacks the pure power that the (at the time) final transformation should have. It looks powerful in ROF, but in U6, it's only useful because of Kaioken, in the Future Trunks Arc it's only useful because of fusions, and in the TOP it's not really useful at all.

Goku Black's version of SSB, SSR, is imo by far the best of the three. It has a great design, that while simplistic, feels new because of Goku Black's ability to use the aura to create a ki blade and eventually a scythe that can somehow spawn clones of himself. The pink I really didn't like when it was leaked, but seeing it in the episode it quickly grew on me. Lastly, you truly feel how strong the form is, with it only being on the losing end of one fight (and gaining the upper hand again right after).

SS4:
Design: 6/10
Lore: 10/10
Feeling of Strength: 7/10

SSB:
Design: 6.5/10
Lore: 7/10
Feeling of Strength: 5/10

SSR:
Design: 9.5/10
Lore: 6/10
Feeling of Strength: 10/10

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Is that a rhetorical question? SSJ4 has much more badassery than a blueberry popsicle. I mean... dude... :lol: Just look at the sexy SSJ4 art from DBGT. 8)
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 am

SSJ4 is better for me, SSJB is more of a SSJ recolor to me
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:49 am

They didn't do anything special with SSB, especially in the manga(I think the manga did a better job of characterizing it at least), but I think SS4 is a far more interesting and explored form(though I'm not particularly fond of it myself). Also, SS4 has a neat design, if a little too extravagant.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:41 am

Blue, by far. It's not even a contest.

It's simple, visually appealing and has a more interesting lore behind it.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think the popularity and success of SSGSS & UI show that simple is sometimes better.
SSJ Blue is successful? It's among the least liked forms in community.
Anything delivered by DBS is officially "successful", it's what's new, so it's what's "in".

It doesn't matter how lazy the design, doesn't matter how inconsistent is the story, it's DBS, it's new DB stuff that's brought by Toriyama.

Even though Toei & Toyotaro adds so much of their own stuff, but they're happy as long as it has Toroyama's name on it.
sunsetshimmer wrote:With UI, we will see in near future since it's new so it's always a bit overhyped. Also, people mostly seem to like this form because of how it works not how it looks.
Spiker SSG, with yet another recolor (and not even spikier if we go by Toroyama's design that was just the original concept art of SSG with different eye shape and silver on the hair)

The only thing this "shows" is that whatever is delivered by Toriyama will be officially approved by DB addicts, they just need more, regardless of the quality.
lancerman wrote:Blue, the color scheme just works and the aura really adds a lot to it. I've always hated SSJ4. It's too busy and tries to hard. It doesn't feel like something that would have been designed if Toriyama was still in the drivers seat. It just feels like glorified fanfiction that some kid would do if they were writing Dragon Ball on the internet.
That's funny, actually, SSB "design" was created by fanfiction, it's called DBAF.

And about looking like being created by a "kid" that's even funnier, because it's more likely a kid just paints Goku's hair in a different color like SSB, that actually creating something new like SS4.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

USSJ Roshi

Post by USSJ Roshi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:38 am

Neither. Both look ridiculous. The GOLDEN Super Saiyan hair was to me symbolic( I posted a threat about that... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42282 ). Symbolic of the Sun. SSJ4, SSGSS and SSB meaning nothing as far as I can think.

The reason for so many different colored hair changes and the sudden jump into the Universal-Tournament. Is purely a cash grab. Why not add as many new characters and styles as quickly as possible. Then they can start pumping out the figures and trading cards. Which are VERY POPULAR right now!

I watch Dragon Ball Z almost every single day. Usually before or after a gym or yoga workout and it makes me feel so awake and full of energy, but I don't get any feeling like that when watching GT and hardly and feeling from DBS. Something went wrong. I think they should re-release DBS with the original DB/DBZ music and sound-effects... ( ._.)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:15 pm

In my humble opinion, DBGT gave us epic operatic orchestral scores, character designs, badass villains, and great acting! Did you watch sub or dub? The dub is terrible. Speaking for myself, DBGT is probably “up there” with DB and DBZ. SSJ4 is COOL. 8)

If only there was a way to somehow rewind time and convince Toei to produce something more meaningful, like side-stories about other characters or a properly remastered DB, DBZ, and DBGT in 4:3, instead of a color faded 480p transfer. It’s kind of f’d up that Toei hasn’t given us a proper DB, DBZ, DBGT remaster 15-17 years after their DVD release. Toei gave us Kai, DB Super, and some movies showcasing Goku’s new hair color (booooorrriinggggg). I’m predicting Gohan will somehow have green hair in the next installment and it’ll be on figures, cards, posters... yep Toei screwed the pooch on this one! Huge thanks to Toei for remembering their loyal fans who grew up watching DB, DBZ, and DBGT. Red skin is the new London look. :thumbup:

There’s nothing nostalgic about red, pink, blue, and white hair transformations. As far as I’m concerned, the design looks like a kid got a hold of Microsoft paint and re-colored the characters (e.g., gold Freeza). Everything looks poorly executed. Reminds me of DB AF.

One thing is for sure, DB Super will never live up to the 90s stuff!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Reminds me of DB AF.
To be fair, the Toyble AF manga was actually pretty fun. Really short-lived, but fun for what it was.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
That's funny, actually, SSB "design" was created by fanfiction, it's called DBAF.
When did Super Saiyan Blue appear in DBAF?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:00 pm

theTUN wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:
When did Super Saiyan Blue appear in DBAF?
So during the DBAF trend, lots of edited/recoloured pictures and screenshots went around claiming to be new forms or characters.

One such form was just recolouring Super Saiyan Goku/or Vegeta into having blue hair/a blue aura and calling that Super Saiyan 7 or 8.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:56 pm

What Saiga said.

Many of these drawings didn't had any name on it, so people call them super saiya-jin red, pink, blue.

Little did they know, those would stop being a fan-made thing.

It's not even the 1st thing Akira takes from fanfiction, Future Trunks arc was a rip-off of DBAF, and U6 Vs U7/ToP was a rip-off of DBM.

I'm thirsty for something new, DBH anime has all the potential, but it seems they're gonna disappoint me yet again.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 am

Melkaniator wrote: It's not even the 1st thing Akira takes from fanfiction, Future Trunks arc was a rip-off of DBAF, and U6 Vs U7/ToP was a rip-off of DBM.

I'm thirsty for something new, DBH anime has all the potential, but it seems they're gonna disappoint me yet again.
I wouldn't exactly say those idea's were directly inspired by fan-fiction, I think it has far more to do with Toei staff members recylcing idea's that had already caught traction, or taking inspiration from other popular works.

Also, Heroes only has the potential to be absolute crap, and thats all its really shaping itself up to be. Its not anything interesting, or even pretending to be anything interesting. Its simply commerica, and a nothing commerical at that.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:17 am

I prefer SSJB,

Both have good concepts but I guess SSJ4 wins on the nostalgia factor with the Oozaru callback, being consistent with the past is never a bad thing lol
in terms of design and that is 100% subjective I prefer the more simple approach of SSJG and SSJB, on that department SSJ4 is overkill IMO lol
The God levels stuff is interesting but I wish it'd be better exploited

To address the "but it's a lazy recolor" criticism, I would like to remind SSJ1 is MOSTLY a recolor to start with and that KK completely a recolor of the base with red aura lol
It's another genial idea from Toriyama to indicate power levels by a simple color swap an avoid an overkill of transformations lol

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 pm

JazzMazz wrote: I wouldn't exactly say those idea's were directly inspired by fan-fiction, I think it has far more to do with Toei staff members recylcing idea's that had already caught traction, or taking inspiration from other popular works.
#1) The arc ideas are supposedly Akira's doing.

#2) You don't have to agree, but Future Trunks arc has a evil kaiō-shin bringing a "evil Goku" with him, that's pretty DBAF.

Tournament with participants from other dimensions/universes it's very DBM, specially the force field to protect the audience.

Lol, recylcing idea's that had already caught traction my ***.
JazzMazz wrote: Also, Heroes only has the potential to be absolute crap
I completely disagree.

You lack vision, planets that have a seal has the potential to show new worlds, and a great excuse to be one after another.

The seal on those planets helps getting rid of Beerus and Whis for what could've been a "No Whis zone" arc.

A different Goku with different transformation expands the DB universe with a myriad of opportunities.

Having dragon balls on that planet to escape is a great idea to make powerful warriors fight it out for their own sake, and since it's not a death penalty to not get out via dragon balls, the end could surprise us with a different escape, unlike ToP.

I know it's gonna be bad, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have potential to be good.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:50 pm

I always liked SS4 but felt like it shouldn't be called SS4. SS was established as a legendary Saiyan warrior with golden hair. SS4 had nothing to do with that nor is it really related to SS lore. I always wanted it to be called Super Oozaru or Oozaru 2, or anything that is related to the fact that the transformation had more to do with there original transformation and not SS.

SSB isn't to great, does nothing new aesthetically or looks creative or fun but lore why, for some reason when god ki mixed with SS, the hair becomes blue instead of gold..so yeah I get that. I think blue is a downgrade from gold or yellow but it is what it is.

So to answer your question. I think SS4 is a better new form but SSB is a better SS form.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:I always liked SS4 but felt like it shouldn't be called SS4. SS was established as a legendary Saiyan warrior with golden hair. SS4 had nothing to do with that nor is it really related to SS lore. I always wanted it to be called Super Oozaru or Oozaru 2, or anything that is related to the fact that the transformation had more to do with there original transformation and not SS.

SSB isn't to great, does nothing new aesthetically or looks creative or fun but lore why, for some reason when god ki mixed with SS, the hair becomes blue instead of gold..so yeah I get that. I think blue is a downgrade from gold or yellow but it is what it is.

So to answer your question. I think SS4 is a better new form but SSB is a better SS form.
You are right, SSJ4's name is dumb and makes not sense.
Golden Oozaru is a mix of SSJ and Oozaru
"SSJ4" is a next form that you achieve after you tame Golden Oozaru.

You don't need SSJ2 or SSJ3 to become SSJ4.
It's just called SSJ4 for fanservice reasons. I can't see any other option.

SSJG/SSGSS aren't any better as well.
If SSGSS is mix of SSJ and God then that form should be called SSJ God.
The red-haired thing that is known as "SSJ God" should be called "Saiyan God" or something like that.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:57 pm

I think you guys are looking a bit too much into it, initially "Super" Saiyajin only means it's a power level beyond a base Saiyajin lol

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I wouldn't exactly say those idea's were directly inspired by fan-fiction, I think it has far more to do with Toei staff members recylcing idea's that had already caught traction, or taking inspiration from other popular works.
#1) The arc ideas are supposedly Akira's doing.

#2) You don't have to agree, but Future Trunks arc has a evil kaiō-shin bringing a "evil Goku" with him, that's pretty DBAF.

Tournament with participants from other dimensions/universes it's very DBM, specially the force field to protect the audience.
Nobody could've come up with the idea of a force field protecting the audience of a tournament of extremely powerful warriors who always destroy the environment they fight in without reading a fanfiction that hasn't been popular since like 2012. Nor could Toriyama have come up with the idea to make an existing form a different color unless he saw a ms paint drawing by an 11 year old on deviantart. Two people cannot have similar ideas by coincidence, and if the creator of a series happens to make something that nebulously resembles a thing a fan did one time, the thing the creator did is automatically bad.