What was point of getting rights for The Movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Re: What was point of getting rights for The Movies?

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 am

Robo4900 wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Forte224 wrote: So, you don't like the blu-ray movies? Because that's what I'm talking about. Not the series. I ain't buying that release for sure.
No, I don’t like them. You can achieve a much better effect (color & consistency wise) by remastering the Dragon Boxes. If buying the movies on Blu-ray doesn’t put you in financial ruin, go for it, but keep it mind you’re supporting FUNimation, the company that lied to you repeatedly.
Nah, there is more detail in the Funi BDs. Their remasters of the series are pretty poor, but they did a good job on the movies. Colours aren't perfect, but it's a fine master.

As for "Remastering" the Dragon Boxes, that's crazy talk. If you want to go out of your way not to support Funi, there's plenty of easy routes to go that don't involve learning the skillset necessary to improve whatever aspect it is of the Japanese DBox masters of the movies that you don't consider adequate... Frankly though, if you prefer the DBoxes, I don't really see why any "Remastering" would be necessary, the DBox movie masters are fine as-is, and for DVDs, look quite nice.
The colors on the Dragon Box movies are not an accurate representation of what they should be. Of course there’s more detail in the FUNimation Blu-ray movies... nobody is arguing with you. :)
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:The colors on the Dragon Box movies are not an accurate representation of what they should be. Of course there’s more detail in the FUNimation Blu-ray movies... nobody is arguing with you. :)
Haha. Indeed. Apologies if my tone was somewhat argumentative.

Honestly though, I don't get the colours complaint. The original colours are lost unless Toei have some really nice LPPs lying around, so better to just judge whether or not the colours look nice. And they do. So, IMO the DBox movie colours will do nicely, and I do actually prefer that colouring to what the Funi BDs use. Not that the Funi BDs' colours are bad, again I think it works fine, but I do think getting the Funi BD visuals with the DBox colours would be my ideal...

Well, okay, my ideal would involve it being in 4:3 and mastered more like the OG DB movies' HD masters, but that's neither here nor there...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Funimation will release Zillion, anime from 1987, sub only, but still, they are interested in releaseing old school stuff afterall, maybe one day we will get proper release of Dragon Ball and GT? https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... on/.133939
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:29 am

I'd say that their releases of Dragon Ball and GT -- especially GT -- were pretty "proper."

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd say that their releases of Dragon Ball and GT -- especially GT -- were pretty "proper."
i agree with GT (Singles, Green Bricks have worse quality, in my opinion, do they have next episode previews like Singles do?) Dragon Ball Singles would be perfect, if they had episode previews :(
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 am

coola wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd say that their releases of Dragon Ball and GT -- especially GT -- were pretty "proper."
i agree with GT (Singles, Green Bricks have worse quality, in my opinion, do they have next episode previews like Singles do?) Dragon Ball Singles would be perfect, if they had episode previews :(
Dragon Ball was never released in singles by Funimation. They are only sold in Volumes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 am

ZodaEX wrote:
coola wrote:
Dragon Ball was never released in singles by Funimation. They are only sold in Volumes.
Yes, the original two disc bilingual releases of DB were in "Saga" sets that are basically volumes, with the exception of the first arc due to FUNi not having the distribution rights back at the time. I personally have the Blue Bricks as they are the only way you can get the Pilaf episodes uncut and bilingual here in the States, and also for consistency because it would look weird having the first Blue season set then the Sagas for everything else. Also with the fact they are harder to come by and more pricier these days. Yeah, it's unfortunate that FUNi's masters do not have the NEP's but that is more to do with the materials that Toei gave them back in the early 2000's.

With GT however, that actually is the complete package with the singles/box sets and likely the closest thing we will likely ever have to a Dragon Box for the show here.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
coola wrote: i agree with GT (Singles, Green Bricks have worse quality, in my opinion, do they have next episode previews like Singles do?) Dragon Ball Singles would be perfect, if they had episode previews :(
Yes, the original two disc bilingual releases of DB were in "Saga" sets that are basically volumes, with the exception of the first arc due to FUNi not having the distribution rights back at the time. I personally have the Blue Bricks as they are the only way you can get the Pilaf episodes uncut and bilingual here in the States, and also for consistency because it would look weird having the first Blue season set then the Sagas for everything else. Also with the fact they are harder to come by and more pricier these days. Yeah, it's unfortunate that FUNi's masters do not have the NEP's but that is more to do with the materials that Toei gave them back in the early 2000's.

With GT however, that actually is the complete package with the singles/box sets and likely the closest thing we will likely ever have to a Dragon Box for the show here.
Sadly, with GT, only Green Bricks are sold in complete package, and, in my opinion, they are worse than previous release, more blurry picture and lack of NEP, personally, i would pay little more, and hunt down old boxsets :)
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 am

coola wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:

Sadly, with GT, only Green Bricks are sold in complete package, and, in my opinion, they are worse than previous release, more blurry picture and lack of NEP, personally, i would pay little more, and hunt down old boxsets :)
Exactly, i got pretty much all of the GT singles in their box sets aside from the last five discs which i got individually for cheap. They are the only other release aside from the FUNi Z Dragon Boxes to have the complete presentation of the Japanese version with all of the elements included, also by complete package i meant as in it has the original Japanese title cards, proper opening/closing credits for all four of the OP's and ED's and the next episode previews. All of those factors proved a bigger draw to me than settling for the Green Bricks, and i am definitely satisfied with them from that standpoint of having everything.

Simply put, if you want the best possible presentation of the Japanese version (aside from the GT Dragon Box) with everything included then the singles are by far the way to go.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:43 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
coola wrote: i agree with GT (Singles, Green Bricks have worse quality, in my opinion, do they have next episode previews like Singles do?) Dragon Ball Singles would be perfect, if they had episode previews :(

When I bought that, they both came bundles together in an outer cardboard box that held both cases. They were sold separately too?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:56 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:

When I bought that, they both came bundles together in an outer cardboard box that held both cases. They were sold separately too?
I believe when they first released the GT complete series set it had a book style setup on the inner case, only later on did they change it to a slipcase that holds both of the individual Green Brick sets.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

I believe when they first released the GT complete series set it had a book style setup on the inner case, only later on did they change it to a slipcase that holds both of the individual Green Brick sets.
We were talking about the Dragon Ball Anime. Not Dragon Ball GT.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
We were talking about the Dragon Ball Anime. Not Dragon Ball GT.
Oops, i wasn't sure what exactly you were talking about.