Your thoughts on Pauline Newstone?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Your thoughts on Pauline Newstone?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:50 pm

So, when it comes to discussing English Freeza, it's always people talking about how great Chris Ayres is, how bad Linda Young, or how Daman Mills is such a good understudy for Chris. But there's one person who gets completely glossed over. And that is the original English voice of Freeza: Pauline Newstone. And that's why I wanna make this thread to ask you guys, what are your thoughts on her? Was she the best English Freeza before Chris? Is she just as bad as Linda? Or is she just OK?
Caulifla best girl! :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Your thoughts on Pauline Newstone?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, when it comes to discussing English Freeza, it's always people talking about how great Chris Ayres is, how bad Linda Young, or how Daman Mills is such a good understudy for Chris. But there's one person who gets completely glossed over. And that is the original English voice of Freeza: Pauline Newstone. And that's why I wanna make this thread to ask you guys, what are your thoughts on her? Was she the best English Freeza before Chris? Is she just as bad as Linda? Or is she just OK?
She might have been miscast as Frieza, but at least she was a better actress than Young.

Was she the best English Frieza before Ayres? I would say yes, although I wouldn't say she was great. A great VA that was simply miscast.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:19 pm

She seems like a talented actress and has a unique voice, she was just miscast. Her voice is suitably creepy for Freeza a villain, but again, not a good fit for Freeza.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:11 am

I think she did a decent enough job but found her voice to be a bit too blatantly female. For me Linda Young was actually an improvement because her voice at least sounded male sometimes and often came across as ambiguous which makes sense for an alien.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 am

Great actress with a perfectly-adequate performance that in all likelihood was cast based on a surface-level, totally-misguided first-form "lizard"-esque appearance for Freeza, particularly in light of her role as the sarcastic snake character on Mummies Alive! being produced around the same time (broadcast in fall 1997).

Resulted in about 18 years of Freeza being misunderstood. Thanks, Barry.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:29 pm

She had great delivery on the famous "caressing balls" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H01eq2Tc-WQ

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Like Linda Young, the voice she gave doesn’t really fit Freeza. It sounds like the kind of voice you would expect to hear from a wise and elderly seer, not an aristocratic alien dictator who’s prone to bouts of anger.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 pm

It fit Frieza's appearence, but not really his character.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Good voice but wrong character. That voice would fit perfectly with a creepy old lady or a lizard woman but not with a ruthless galactic tyrant like Freeza.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 pm

I haven't listened to a whole lot of her performance, but I vaguely remember getting an uptight, posh vibe that made her take a bit more pleasant to listen to and more true to the character than Young's. So going purely off of memory, I think she was fairly okay even if she was miscast. Of course, we're in a much better place now with Ayres (and Mills) in the role.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Linda Young was a bad version of Pauline Newstone's good version of Barry Watson's bad idea of who Freeza is.

Still, Newstone did give an entertaining performance.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 am

Robo4900 wrote:Linda Young was a bad version of Pauline Newstone's good version of Barry Watson's bad idea of who Freeza is.

Lol this

I can understand and appreciate what they were going for with Newstone even if it was wrong

Linda Young sounded like a grandmother with lung cancer

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:22 am

I thought she was a decent Frieza. But I only know her other performance as Airazor from BEAST WARS.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Linda Young was a bad version of Pauline Newstone's good version of Barry Watson's bad idea of who Freeza is.

Yup absolutely.

Great work despite the misunderstanding (from Barry and other higher-ups involved). Find the scene where Vegeta steals the Dragon Balls, Newstone does a great job conveying anger and authority just fine. Much better than the performance by Young with nearly the exact same lines being said.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada