Your top 10 favorite story arcs in the DB franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Your top 10 favorite story arcs in the DB franchise

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Logania wrote:1. Androids
2. 22nd Budokai
3. Future Trunks
4. Baby
5. 23rd Budokai
6. Tournament of Destroyers
7. Black Star Dragon Balls
8. King Piccolo
9. Shadow Dragons
10. Saiyans

Future Trunks arc used to be pretty low, but I don't know if it's because I rewatched it in dub or just had a different feeling watching it in one sitting, but I enjoyed it a lot more than my first viewing. The ending is still bittersweet and quite unsatisfying, but I wasn't bored out of my mind like in most arcs about halfway through. It's probably English Dub Zamasu that made it so good for me lol

Both the ToP and hte FT arc are way better when you binge rewatch them, Going wait to week makes you naturally dwell more on things. I liked both arcs way mrore upon rewatching to the point where both are in my top 5.(Not saying the same should happen for you just saying my experience.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:55 pm

1.Baby arc
2.Buu arc
3.Cell arc
4.Goku Black/Zamasu arc
5.Saiyan arc
6.Shadow Dragon arc
7.9 weeks of Piece(DBS)
8.Freezer arc
9.BOG
10.Black Star DragonBall arc
11.TOP
12.U6
13.Super 17
14.ROF
GT Fighter

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:11 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote: 7.9 weeks of Piece(DBS)
What's that? I don't get it.

Also...
GT_Goten10 wrote:1.Baby arc
2.Buu arc
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

NintendoFan28

Post by NintendoFan28 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:09 pm

1. King Piccolo Arc
2. Saiyan Arc
3. 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament
4. 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament
5. Freeza Arc
6. Majin Buu Arc
7. Baby Arc
8. 21st World Martial Arts Tournament
9. Androids/Cell Arc
10. Future Trunks Arc

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:39 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
I'm guessing he means the filler-ish episodes between Trunks and US arc (the episodes with Hit, Arale, baseball, that douche actor). I wouldn't call that an arc though.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:18 am

emi_b7 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
I'm guessing he means the filler-ish episodes between Trunks and US arc (the episodes with Hit, Arale, baseball, that douche actor). I wouldn't call that an arc though.

Yes I enjoyed this episodes actually more than TOP,BOG&ROF,It also had 10 episodes, so you can not see Super 17 as an arc
GT Fighter

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:
emi_b7 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote: What's that? I don't get it.

Yes I enjoyed this episodes actually more than TOP,BOG&ROF,It also had 10 episodes, so you can not see Super 17 as an arc
Whether or not it has enough episodes does not decide if it is an arc. It is if it is a proper story. Does it have an beginning, climax and an end where things progress? No it doesn't it just jumps from one arc to another.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:35 am

PFM18 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
emi_b7 wrote: I'm guessing he means the filler-ish episodes between Trunks and US arc (the episodes with Hit, Arale, baseball, that douche actor). I wouldn't call that an arc though.

Whether or not it has enough episodes does not decide if it is an arc. It is if it is a proper story. Does it have an beginning, climax and an end where things progress? No it doesn't it just jumps from one arc to another.
Isn't the Kanzenshuu arc listing based on official Toei listings? If that's the case, then Super #17 is definitely an arc, officially speaking, even if its narrative function is basically just to create the jumping-on point for the Evil Dragons arc.

Of course, based on that listing, Namek and Freeza are separate arcs, Artificial Humans and Cell are separate arcs, and Solo Training and Heavenly Training are arcs.

Really, I think it's best to just let everyone decide on their own what is and isn't an arc. Otherwise, we're bound to start falling down the rabbit hole of Funimation's "Saga" listings... And that can get weird...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:01 am

Robo4900 wrote:Of course, based on that listing, Namek and Freeza are separate arcs, Artificial Humans and Cell are separate arcs, and Solo Training and Heavenly Training are arcs.
I've always considered the Heavenly Training arc to begin with the filler episodes, with the earlier Kami episodes making up a sort of epilogue to the Daimao arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 am

I assume by heavenly training you are referring to the training before the 23rd TB. If so, that's not an arc. It's the first act of the Piccolo Jr./23rd TB arc. Super 17 is definitely its own arc even though it's short. It has a beginning, middle, climax, and conclusion. The ending springboards into the next one, but that doesn't preclude it from being its own thing. Hell, the episodes about saving Chichi's wedding dress is only 5 episodes but it is definitely an arc.

It bugs me when I read people claiming the Saiyan arc isn't its own arc.

No one has to go with official listings, Toei's included. There are arcs within arcs. For instance, the Ginyu Force isn't separate from the Freeza arc, but it is a mini-arc. It's also one of my favorite points in the series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm

ABED wrote:I assume by heavenly training you are referring to the training before the 23rd TB. If so, that's not an arc. It's the first act of the Piccolo Jr./23rd TB arc. Super 17 is definitely its own arc even though it's short. It has a beginning, middle, climax, and conclusion. The ending springboards into the next one, but that doesn't preclude it from being its own thing. Hell, the episodes about saving Chichi's wedding dress is only 5 episodes but it is definitely an arc.

It bugs me when I read people claiming the Saiyan arc isn't its own arc.

No one has to go with official listings, Toei's included. There are arcs within arcs. For instance, the Ginyu Force isn't separate from the Freeza arc, but it is a mini-arc. It's also one of my favorite points in the series.
Exactly.

The official listings make a certain amount of sense, but also really don't work in terms of stuff like Heavenly Training not being a real arc, and yet it's listed as one... I think it's best not to quibble about what is and isn't an arc, and to just let people refer to it as they prefer it. Again, if we start quibbling about that, then we'll start getting into the "Saga" debate, which is a mess.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 am

My list includes only arcs from the original manga (and the first anime adaptation of said manga); I see everything else as bonus material, and whether I enjoy that material or not, none of it will ever recapture the magic of the original run.

So, without further ado:

10. DRAGON BALL HUNT
From Goku and Bulma's first meeting, to the demolishing of Pilaf's castle.
This first arc is really fun, just simply my least favorite overall, probably because the ensemble cast isn't quite as big and colorful as it's going to be later.

9. MAJIN BOO
There are select bits and pieces in this arc that I love (such as the fat Boo befriending Mr Satan), but overall it's a tad too chaotic for my tastes, and I'm not a fan of Super Saiyan 3 or fusion.

8. 21st TENKA'ICHI BUDÔKAI
I'm including Goku and Kuririn's training under Muten Rôshi here, which is amazing. What brings this arc down for me is characters like Bacterian and Ranfan, but otherwise it's really entertaining. It might actually be tied with entry #7, but that arc features more of my personal favorite characters.

7. JINZÔNINGEN
With this I'm referring to #19 and #20's arrival all the way through the Cell Games (all of Dr Gero's creations are "jinzoningen"). This arc is obviously quite messy with all the time travel shenanigans breaking everything, and I start to lose interest once Vegeta emerges from the Room of Spirit and Time, but I do really enjoy that this arc has awesome moments for Trunks, #20, Piccolo, #16, and even Tenshinhan. Also, Cell's introduction is very enthralling with its creepy horror vibes.

6. RED RIBBON ARMY
This is one of those arcs where at first I didn't think I liked it very much, but the more I revisit it and think about it, it actually encompasses the very best aspects of Dragon Ball. Little Son Goku exploring a world he is adorably clueless about yet utterly invulnerable to is pure gold!
What this arc lacks is memorable *recurring* characters. While Murasaki, #8, Blue, and especially Taopaipai are absolutely fantastic, they don't stick around like Bulma, Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Vegeta do, so we don't remember them as vividly.

5. PLANET NAMEK
This should be obvious, but with this I'm referring to everything that takes place on Namek, including the battle against Freeza.
This arc is full of goodies. I love the three-way hide-and-seek Dragon Ball hunt, and of course the Ginyu goons. Though the climactic battle between Goku and Freeza is very long, I've never really minded that. The fact that it does go on for so long makes you feel that the planet could explode any second and that Goku needs to get out of there NOW. What I especially enjoy there is Kaiô and his plan to get everyone to safety. Dragon Ball's race-against-the-clock sequences always get me on the edge of my seat.

4. PICCOLO DAIMAÔ
Now then. Between the first death of a major character, Muten Rôshi's wisdom and selflessness, and the big bad getting his wish and then killing the fucking dragon, it's no wonder that this arc made it this high up (entries #2-4 could all be tied for 2nd place, really). Doesn't hurt that Tenshinhan is one of my favorite characters either, even though his actions this arc ultimately don't end up amounting to much. The motivation and effort behind those actions is what counts.

3. SAIYANS
As others have said, this was Toriyama at the top of his game. The artwork in the manga for this arc is incredibly rich in detail and nearly flawless overall. One thing the anime did better was flesh out Gohan's character more, but the arc is still jam-packed with incredibly memorable moments such as Goku and Piccolo teaming up, our introduction to the wonderful Kaiô, Nappa's devastating spree of death and destruction, and the utterly exhausting (in a good way - you can feel that every character involved gave absolutely everything they had, barring maybe Yajirobe though he did do more than anyone would ever expect of him) battle against Vegeta.

2. 22nd TENKA'ICHI BUDÔKAI
Like I said, entries #2-4 could all be tied for 2nd place. Tenshinhan might be my favorite character overall, though, which is one reason why this one is so high. The other reason is Jackie Chun / Muten Rôshi. Those two characters are the highlight of this arc, with one of them getting reluctantly redeemed via the other's wisdom and selflessness (the same qualities that made me love him in the Piccolo arc). Matches like Yamcha vs Tenshinhan and Kuririn vs Goku are terrific as well, and that's not to mention the finale and its Volleyball Fist, Shiyô-ken, and Kikôhô.

1. 23rd TENKA'ICHI BUDÔKAI
This is the only Tenka'ichi Budôkai in which I enjoy every single contestant and every single match, and that is why it beats the others. I can't really point to specific highlights here, as the entire arc feels like one solid highlight to me. It is Dragon Ball in its prime.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 pm

1.Baby arc
2.Buu arc
3.Cell arc
4.Goku Black/Zamasu arc
5.Saiyan arc
6.Shadow Dragon arc
7.9 weeks of Piece(DBS)
8.Freezer arc
9.Black Star DragonBall Arc
10.BOG
11.TOP
12.Super 17
13.U6
14.ROF[/quote]
GT Fighter

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 pm

I'll just do my top five. Nothing from Super or GT is even worth considering from my POV except maybe the Zamasu and Baby arcs, and I feel like I need to digest them some more.

1. Saiyan arc: this is the best the series ever got. The plot was solid and had few to no holes. Toriyama's art was it its peak (in my opinion the Cell and Buu arc art is too angular while the pre-23rd Budokai art is too... cartoony, for lack of a better word). Vegeta was a good villain: brutal, arrogant, extremely badass, and an effective foil/evil counterpart to the hero. The henchmen, Raditz and Nappa, had character themselves, and a notable rapport with each other and their boss, rather than just being power levels on legs like Freeza's henchmen. I particularly love Nappa always being shocked at Vegeta's brutality. Goku, Piccolo, and Gohan (especially Piccolo) got some very good development, and all are their most likable in this arc. Even Krillin got his time to shine. Oh, and the fights were of course amazing. There is not one battle in this arc that I did not like. The last fight with everyone ganging up on Vegeta is my favorite sequence in the franchise. I'll let Rocketman sum it up:
There is no super shonen bullshit. No "everything i've got!" last-ditch ultimate move, no "~share your energy~" everybody-contributes malarkey, no suddenly-relevant legends, no self-sacrificing heroism, no miracles. Hell, most of those come up and Vegeta just beats the shit out them.

The main character spends half the fight in a crumpled heap with Vegeta occasionally jumping over and kicking him in the ribs. Mr. Hidden Powaaaaahhhh gets his shit wrecked no matter how mad he gets. All their Super Special Mystical Twaining is useless. The Everybody Helps technique fails completely. Even Oozaru doesn't work - Vegeta cuts off his tail before the beast really damages him. It's only the pure dumb luck that Gohan happened to land on Vegeta that finally brings him down.

It's a beautifully brutal fight that outdoes everything before and after, and it's completely dependent on who Vegeta is: the complete opposite of everything "shonen".
2. Buu arc: Cipher sums things up rather well, so I'll try not to retread his ground. Fat Buu and Super Buu are both amazing villains. With the latter being cunning, cool, and sadistic, the former being oblivious, childlike, and immature, and both being hilarious and entertaining, they work very well as two sides to the same coin. Super Buu in particular is very multifaceted in personality, being prone to childish outbursts and yet possessing a tactical mind and pragmatic personality. Fat Buu is just very unique in general among DB villains, and, just like his evil half, is loaded with personality. He had a very unique method of 'defeat' as well. Mr. Satan, Piccolo, and Vegeta get some great character arcs. The fights are insane in their uses of unconventional powers and techniques, actually have a sense of scale (my favorite throwaway line in this arc is when Babidi casually mentions that a stray ki blast Goku deflected depopulated 1/10 of the Earth), and are usually very even with few stomp matches.

Overall, DB is a ridiculous series. Even the 'serious' arcs are completely ridiculous, they just pretend they're not. The Buu arc takes that ridiculousness and revels in it, almost becoming a self-parody in the process. This makes the whole thing way more enjoyable, as by contrast I almost felt insulted that the Cell and Freeza arcs tried to pretend that they were anything other than completely absurd.

3. Gets points for having an entertaining villain, a good tone shift, and Yajirobe. Loses points for rehashing plot points, having mostly bland fights, and not giving the supporting cast much of anything to do (except Yajirobe). Still, it was a good transition arc. I give it credit for ushering in a new era.

4. Namek arc: I'm very deliberately calling this the Namek arc and not the Freeza arc for a reason. I can divide this arc up almost perfectly in terms of what I do and don't like: the first two thirds are okay to good. The last third is crap. The beginning and middle of this arc consists of Gohan and Krillin forming an unlikely alliance with the main villain of the last arc as they use their brains to avoid getting detected. It's great watching Vegeta, Gohan/Krillin, and Freeza's thugs all maneuver around each other. Vegeta, in particular, pulls off several impressive schemes (e.g. hiding the dragon balls from Freeza, attacking Dodoria and Zarbon while they're split up, fighting dirty to defeat monster Zarbon) to get ahead. All this time, the main villain's power is being built up decently well. When Goku arrives, we get a pretty groan-inducing montage of him effortlessly curb-stomping Recoome and Burter in a near-identical manner to the way he took out Nappa, which just feels cheap and repetitive. Then we have the Ginyu debacle. I like that four-way teamwork was required to overcome Ginyu and Jeice, it was a nice subversion of the typical "Goku comes in and kicks everyone's ass" formula that was played straight with Piccolo Daimao, Tao Paipai, and Freeza.

The arc goes severely down hill when Freeza himself enters the fray (see my signature for part of the reason why). He engages in episode after episode/chapter after chapter of fighting with the side characters and Goku's base form. This whole sequence encompassing a third of the arc is pointless, because as he says himself, he's using an absurdly small amount of power in these forms. So we know that none of this matters. We know that, whenever it looks like someone is putting up a fight against Freeza, it's just because he's using like 1% or less of his power. Not that Toriyama even tries to fool us that often, because Freeza is just no-selling everything for 90% of this fight. It's completely bereft of tension or investment. You get the feeling that no one should have even bothered to show up. Especially not poor Piccolo, who is basically a non-entity in this arc. People complain about his Buu arc appearance, but at least there he had a character, a point, a role. Here he just exists to built up and then knocked down to further wank Freeza. The only real stand-outs moments from this part of the arc are Vegeta's final death and Goku's beat down of Freeza the very end.

Speaking of which, while it is the best part of the last third (especially because Freeza can't pull that "I'm only using 50%" bullshit anymore and just gets his ass kicked), is still fairly anticlimactic. As mentioned, Freeza gets his ass kicked. This is only entertaining because he's an awful character, not because watching him get stomped while only landing a 2-3 hits in retaliation is actually interesting (thought it IS actually better than the rest of the fight even on those grounds; at least this is an actual fight and the stronger party is actually taking some damage). On top of that, the scenery was a problem all throughout the arc. Namek, as a setting was basically a testament to Toriyama's laziness. There are multiple suns, so he doesn't have to keep track of the day and night cycle. It's post apocalyptic, so he doesn't have to draw cities or too many people. It's universally identical in terms of scenery, so he doesn't have to draw varied backgrounds. The laziness displayed there is actually pretty impressive. But overall I feel the first half redeems it.

5. Piccolo Daimao arc: Gets points for having an entertaining villain, a good tone shift, and Yajirobe. Loses points for rehashing plot points, having mostly bland fights, and not giving the supporting cast much of anything to do (except Yajirobe). Still, it was a good transition and I give it credit for ushering in a new era.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:26 pm

I have it
1.piccolo (the original)
2.android saga
3. Imperfect cell saga
4. Perfect cell saga
5. Namek saga
6. Frieza saga
7. Buu saga
8. Goku black arc
9.saiyan saga
10. Original world tournament saga

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Purely based on my enjoyment watching them for the first time, not meant to be an objective ranking

1. Freeza
2. Saiyan
3. Universe Survival (this is only here because it made me feel like a kid again, i'm well aware of its flaws and hope the manga fixes some of them)
4. Red Ribbon Army
5. 23rd Budokai
6. Future Trunks (manga)
7. 21st Budokai
8. Battle of Gods (movie)
9. Buu
10. Cell

Always found the King Piccolo arc to be heavily overrated. I'd say I love the first 9 arcs on my list, but I'm not a big fan of the Cell arc or anything I'd have ranked below that

Monna

Post by Monna » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 am

1. ToP (anime version only)
2. Namek arc
3. Saiyans arc
4. 23rd Budoukai
5. King Piccolo arc
6. 22nd Budoukai
7. Buu arc
8. Androids/Cell arcs
9. Goku Black/Zamasu arc (anime version only)
10. Red Ribbon Army arcs