Your top 10 favorite story arcs in the DB franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Your top 10 favorite story arcs in the DB franchise

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ohHiRenan wrote:Super, at its absolute best, is still worse than the original series at its worst.
Don't you think this is a bit of an exaggeration? :lol: :lol:
ohHiRenan is 100% correct. ;)
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Oh, I just remembered, but another facet I love about the Red Ribbon arc are the insert songs. I don't think it's a co-incidence that a large selection of songs were composed for this block of Dragon Ball's story in particular. Stuff like Dragon Ball Legend, Mystery Wonderland, With a Burning Heart, The Blue Travelers and of course the Son Goku Song instantly put me back to that era.
21st Tenkaichi still wins in that regard, not by volume but by how goddamn transcendently awesome Mezase Tenkaichi is. ;)
Can't really argue with that one, it appears in all but the Buu arc TB!
Indeed. And that tournament was all the worse for it. ;)

(I actually love the Boo tournament. I do wish they'd brought back at least the intro of Mezase, like they did in that early episode of the 21st Tenkaichi, but as is, it was still a really fun little thing)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: 21st Tenkaichi still wins in that regard, not by volume but by how goddamn transcendently awesome Mezase Tenkaichi is. ;)
Can't really argue with that one, it appears in all but the Buu arc TB!
Indeed. And that tournament was all the worse for it. ;)

(I actually love the Boo tournament. I do wish they'd brought back at least the intro of Mezase, like they did in that early episode of the 21st Tenkaichi, but as is, it was still a really fun little thing)
If I ever get that far in my edits, I'll make sure to drop it in for old time's sake.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:26 pm

My personal top 10:

1. Freeza

2. Saiyan

3/4. King Piccolo/23th World Tournament (technically two sagas but I like to view them together)

5. Buu

The rest I can't rank in order because they sometimes fluctuate so I'll list them alphabetically: 21st World Tournament, 22nd World Tournament, Cell, Pilaf/Early Dragonball, and RR Army.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:04 pm

This is probably the first time I seriously make a "Favorite arcs" list on this forum, so I will comment why my list goes this way.

1 - Saiyan arc The atmosphere of this arc alone puts it on top. I have always loved the darkness and sense of urgency the arc has. The crazy battles are among the best of the series in my opinion, as I am a big fan of bloody battles which end up with the fighters either dead or severely injured - which is the best way to describe every battle of the arc. It also changes the series completely, by immensely increasing its scale by introducing aliens, giving Goku a neat backstory and introducing the Otherworld too. The themes of the arc and the character help elevate this arc even more.
It's safe to say that this is the most important arc in the whole franchise, and if it never happened Dragon Ball would be completely different.

2 - Namek arc This arc is just as good as the Saiyan arc. The use of the cast is great, and it further builds upon the foundation set by the Saiyan arc. The suspense and tension felt on Namek when our heroes Krillin and Gohan are among the weakest fighters on the planet is always incredible, and their hit and run tactics only help elevate the tension furthermore. Vegeta is at the top of his game, and every fight of this arc is also perfectly crafted. The culmination with Goku finally turning into a Super Saiyan is the highest point of the franchise, to me. It also helps that Freeza is a very interesting villain whose fate is connected to Goku.

3 - Future Trunks arc I am a big fan of dark and gritty settings, and this arc perfectly captures that atmosphere. Goku Black and Zamasu are probably the best villains of the franchise. The mystery of Goku Black's identity had me completely immersed on this arc's story, and the story twists definitely helped for that. Future Trunks is also among my favorite characters so I was very happy to have him back, and I absolutely adore how they treated him and how, in the end, he got the final kill on Zamasu. The bittersweet ending was also very touching, and a reminder of how unpredictable Dragon Ball is, and how things do not always end well. I really feel the thematics of this arc. If it had a few more episodes of fighting and overall more consistent art and animation, this may very well be on the number 1 spot of my list. I could write so many more words about why I just love this arc.
It is the first suspensful Dragon Ball arc I ever experienced weekly, and it is probably why I have such a sweet spot for it, but I definitely love this arc's story.

4 - 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi Awesome battles. Awesome choreography. Goku is finally an adult! This arc is the perfect example of a tournament done well. Each fight is awesome, and there is also a main villain as the rival - one who promises to take over the world.
Goku vs Piccolo is definitely in the Top 3 of my favorite battles of this franchise, if not my personal favorite. Them being perfectly equals, with the outcome being uncertain is what makes this battle so damn good. The amount of blood shed and the tactics they constantly use to one up eachothers are just incredible. And that ending with Goku unveiling his Bukujutsu right at the last moment... it is so good! It's also the first time Goku decides to spare his enemy at the end of a battle, setting up a trend and a personality trait for Goku I personally like a lot.

5 - Universal Survival arc Action. In its purest form. The craziness of this tournament makes it very entertaining to watch, and Ultra Instinct alone puts this arc on the Top 5. Bringing Freeza and 17 back for this tournament were two incredibly good choices, and they were definitely the highlights of this arc with Ultra Instinct, which is the most amazing martial arts power-up concept I have ever seen, and I am so glad Toriyama came up with it. Jiren may not be the best rival ever, but I also liked his character and he was definitely different from everything we ever got. Such an awesome arc, which has further solidified Super as being a great product, with more than a reason to exist.

6 - Androids arc From Future Trunks' badass introduction to Gohan's badass fight with Cell. I have always loved this arc. The TV special, History of Trunks, remains as one of the best pieces of Dragon Ball media I have ever seen, paired up with the other TV special, and it further makes me love the whole Androids arc even more. I am also a sucker for time travelling stories, which is why I like this and the Future Trunks arc so much.

7 - Majin Buu arc A funny and over the top arc, yet there are still some dark scenes. The ending is the most iconic thing of it, but Super Saiyan 3 and the two fusions also help making this arc memorable.

I won't comment my choice, as I am quite burned out, but here's how my list goes on. I like these last three arc almost equally, but I like the 21st Tournament more because of how much I love the training of Goku and Krillin in preparation for the tournament.

8 - 21st Budokai Tenkaichi
9 - 22nd Budokai Tenkaichi
10 - Piccolo Daimao arc
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am

As a heads up I refer to Androids and Cell as one arc. It also has been ages since I've watched the original Dragon Ball so I won't include that for now.

1. Cell
Gohan's progression finally meets the moment we've all been waiting for and the characters, their personalities, and their designs are really great this arc. Love the fights too.

2. Frieza
Lots of drama here in a good way, also the exploration aspect of Namek is the only time in Z where it's like Dragon Ball again. I also like the sense of fear as they explore and use tactics to survive, and of course, the battle with Frieza was great.

3. Saiyan
Really dark when you think about it with all the characters just straight up being murdered, including Goku. That said, the Goku vs Vegeta fight is a classic with brilliant animation and aesthetic.

4. Buu
Fantastic villain design and concept, and lots of entertaining humor and fights, but the same time, the writing takes a massive nosedive and is the least cohesive experience in the original manga. Still, there is plenty to enjoy despite the plot suffering.

KeKeKe

Post by KeKeKe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm

This really isn't an easy task since I actually love the entirety of Dragon Ball, but, after some insightful reflection, here's my final choice for a personal Top 10 among all the sagas that the four Dragon Ball series (DB, DBZ, DBGT and DBS) had to offer:

1st - Red Ribbon Army Saga (DB episodes 30-68)
2nd - King Piccolo Saga (DB episodes 102-132)
3rd - Universe Survival Saga (DBS episodes 77-131)
4th - 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament (DB episodes 79-101)
5th - 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament (DB episodes 133-153)
6th - 21st World Martial Arts Tournament (DB episodes 14-29)
7th - Fortuneteller Baba Saga (DB episodes 69-78)
8th - Saiyans Saga (DBZ episodes 1-38)
9th - Zamasu/Goku Black Saga (DBS episodes 47-67)
10th - Shadow Dragons Saga (DBGT episodes 48-64)

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:38 pm

KeKeKe wrote:This really isn't an easy task since I actually love the entirety of Dragon Ball, but, after some insightful reflection, here's my final choice for a personal Top 10 among all the sagas that the four Dragon Ball series (DB, DBZ, DBGT and DBS) had to offer:

Wait the Saiyan Arc is the DBZ arc in your top 10?

KeKeKe

Post by KeKeKe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:42 pm

PFM18 wrote:
KeKeKe wrote:This really isn't an easy task since I actually love the entirety of Dragon Ball, but, after some insightful reflection, here's my final choice for a personal Top 10 among all the sagas that the four Dragon Ball series (DB, DBZ, DBGT and DBS) had to offer:

Wait the Saiyan Arc is the DBZ arc in your top 10?
I can totally understand your surprise, most people would actually prefer the other three major DBZ sagas (Freeza, Cell and Majin Buu) over the Saiyans Saga. Keep in mind that I like them a lot too, no question about that, but I think that, in comparison with the 10 sagas that make my Top 10, they are too long and do not offer such a great diversity regarding their plot. The Red Ribbon Army Saga, for example, shows us Goku's adventures while travelling the world, exploring many different regions while meeting many different friends and foes. The various tournaments, of which I'm a big fan as you can see, are also fast-paced and constantly introduce new characters. Maybe I'm failing to explain it properly, but I believe that the aforementioned 10 sagas are much more dynamic and creative, never being boring in an unbearable way (for me, at least). These sagas change their characters and/or locations after a few episodes, so you're always getting something new from them.

On the other hand, the Freeza, Cell and Majin Buu sagas, while having their excellent moments too, drag for such a long amount of episodes that, at times, it's as if you are constantly watching the same characters doing the same thing in the same place, with no variety (at least, that's the impression I get from watching them). The Saiyans Saga, while marking the beginning of DBZ and its longer and more serious sagas (where the fights get the spotlight over fun, adventure and diversity), still retains a bit of the first anime series' essence, not being extremely long and keeping the detailed scenery present in DB, something that I highly value in Dragon Ball and that is sadly absent after our heroes return from Planet Namek, which marks a transition to a very "cold" representation of Earth, with most of the previous magical elements gone for good...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 pm

I can totally understand your surprise, most people would actually prefer the other three major DBZ sagas (Freeza, Cell and Majin Buu) over the Saiyans Saga.
Really? You think most people prefer the Buu arc to the Saiyan arc?
Last edited by ABED on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 pm

ABED wrote:
I can totally understand your surprise, most people would actually prefer the other three major DBZ sagas (Freeza, Cell and Majin Buu) over the Saiyans Saga.
Really? You think people prefer the Buu arc to the Saiyan arc?
Yeah I really don't think so lol. The Buu Arc is trash compared to the Saiyan Arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Really? You think people prefer the Buu arc to the Saiyan arc?
Yeah I really don't think so lol. The Buu Arc is trash compared to the Saiyan Arc.
You don't even need to knock one to raise the other. The Saiyan arc was Toriyama at the top of his game, and I think that's universally recognized in the fandom.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:04 pm

ABED wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote: Really? You think people prefer the Buu arc to the Saiyan arc?
You don't even need to knock one to raise the other. The Saiyan arc was Toriyama at the top of his game, and I think that's universally recognized in the fandom.
I mean I wouldn't say that. I think the next two story arcs were better. To me it goes.

1. Namek Arc
2. Cell Arc

3. Saiyan Arc

4. Buu Arc

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I mean I wouldn't say that. I think the next two story arcs were better. To me it goes.

1. Namek Arc
2. Cell Arc

3. Saiyan Arc

4. Buu Arc
The Freeza fight drags and the whole Cell arc goes on too long all the while having villains that just aren't as compelling or interesting (often including visually) as the previous big bads). Not to mention, the Saiyan arc has some of the best fights and animation in the entire story, in both mediums.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 pm

ABED wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote: You don't even need to knock one to raise the other. The Saiyan arc was Toriyama at the top of his game, and I think that's universally recognized in the fandom.

1. Namek Arc
2. Cell Arc

3. Saiyan Arc

4. Buu Arc
The Freeza fight drags and the whole Cell arc goes on too long all the while having villains that just aren't as compelling or interesting (often including visually) as the previous big bads). Not to mention, the Saiyan arc has some of the best fights and animation in the entire story, in both mediums.
Nah the Cell and Freeza arcs are a good length the Saiyan Arc is too short and too simple

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Nah the Cell and Freeza arcs are a good length the Saiyan Arc is too short and too simple
Simple is good. Often when writers go for complex, they end up with convoluted. Simple stories are often the best stories because they never miss sight of their point. The Saiyan arc is short, sweet, to the point. The anime makes it a little longer, but the Freeza arc and Cell arc are both between 50-75 episodes in Z. The Freeza fight alone is nearly the entire length of the whole Saiyan arc. That's too long. The Cell arc sags a lot in the middle.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:18 pm

1. Universe Survival Arc: not only does this have some of the best fights in the entire series (with Episode 129-131 best tied with the Freeza fight on Namek for my favorite fight), it introduced one of my favorite concepts with Ultra Instinct, it brought back so many great characters like 17 and Freeza, and introduced good character like Caulifla/Kale (though they can be annoying) Toppo and Jiren, who actually quite like. 10/10

2. Namek Arc: this and #1 are completely interchangeable, and everything with this arc was on point, there's not one moment I dislike. 10/10

3. Zamasu Arc: this would definitely be #1 if it didn't become repetitious. Zamasu is by far my favorite villain, and this also has some of the best fights in the series. The main problem is that at one point it's just fighting against Goku Black and Zamasu repeatedly with nothing much that's new until the last 5 or 6 episodes. 9.5/10

4. Saiyan Arc: I think everyone knows why this Arc is so good. My only complaint would be that it feels a little too short, which isn't necessarily bad, though I think it could have benefitted from being longer. 9.5/10

5. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai: The fights are fantastic, characters fantastic, just the word to describe this arc would be fantastic. 9.5/10

6. Peaceful World Arc: This arc gives a very interesting look at the future, especially because of Dragon Ball Super, and it's cool to see where the characters are now. Also, Oob is one of my favorite characters and in the anime, Goku vs Oob is amazing. 9/10

7. Baby Arc/ Black Star Dragon Balls Arc: I consider both of these one arc, and they are great. Baby is a magnificent villain, and SS4 is, well, SS4. 9/10

8. Android Arc: For this I am talking about from when Trunks appears to when Cell absorbs 17. Super Saiyan still felt like the ultimate power, this was right before Vegeta became annoying, and Trunks is great. 9/10

9. U6 Arc: After Botamo, every other fight is very good, and Beerus and Champa are both hilarious. SSBKK x10 was amazing and Hit is a fantastic character. 8.5/10

10. Boo Arc: it would easily be top 5 if it didn't plummet in quality after Gotenks. For me, after Gotenks defuses, it gets very boring, because then it's just everyone fighting Boo and him using absorption. It picks up again once they get to the Sacred World of the Kai's, though it's still not as good as it was in the beginning. 8/10

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:6. Peaceful World Arc: This arc gives a very interesting look at the future, especially because of Dragon Ball Super, and it's cool to see where the characters are now. Also, Oob is one of my favorite characters and in the anime, Goku vs Oob is amazing. 9/10
Can this really be considered a story arc? it was only a couple episodes long

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:30 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:6. Peaceful World Arc: This arc gives a very interesting look at the future, especially because of Dragon Ball Super, and it's cool to see where the characters are now. Also, Oob is one of my favorite characters and in the anime, Goku vs Oob is amazing. 9/10
I mean, I always thought it was considered like a mini arc, kinda like the Goku's Assassination Arc or the Copy Vegeta Arc

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I mean, I always thought it was considered like a mini arc, kinda like the Goku's Assassination Arc or the Copy Vegeta Arc
Are you talking about the final episodes of DBZ? That's not an arc. It's a long denouement. An arc has a beginning, middle, climax, and ending. Uub is part of the resolution of the Buu arc and Goku's journey.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 pm

ABED wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Are you talking about the final episodes of DBZ? That's not an arc. It's a long denouement. An arc has a beginning, middle, climax, and ending. Uub is part of the resolution of the Buu arc and Goku's journey.
I mean, it does have a beginning (them preparing for the tournament) middle (them arriving at the tournament) climax (Goku fighting Oob) and ending (Goku and Oob leaving) :P

Being serious, I guess I would have to replace it with the King Piccolo Arc