Favorite spaceship?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Favorite spaceship?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:22 am

I don't believe this topic has been done before. What is your favorite spaceship in the Dragonball franchise?

Some options include:

- Saiyan space pod

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

- Freeza Force mothership

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Namekian spaceship:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Capsule Corporation spaceship (reverse engineered from Saiyan space pod):

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Angels' Cube:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Babidi's Spaceship:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Grand Tour spaceship:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Paragus' Spaceship:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Of course there are many others.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Favorite spaceship?

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 am

I always thought Freeza's ship was cool because it's "legs" allow it to land in uneven terrain.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:25 am

I don't think any of them is especially outstanding but if i had to pick one i'd probably pick classic saiyan pod or GT's octopus ship.
Frieza's spaceship is also pretty good and iconic.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:58 am

Babidi's spaceship is by far greatest spaceship I've known

There are various levels for fighters/champions of respective realms. There's even special training/meditation room. Pretty sure there are a ton of other facilities as well

I'd say Frieza's Spaceship is dope as well. Its quite advanced with medication chamber, lab, fighter's lobby etc

Gotta say I like Capsule Corp's Spaceship purely for its training 100G ~ 450G properties

In fact, I like just about all of dem lol

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:48 pm

None, not even Frieza's ship these days, in fact my number 1 belongs to another galactic overlord put's it to shame.

The Special Class-1 Astro Combatant Ship - Desura II

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The final boss flagship of Abelt Dessler, Supreme Ruler of The Great Garmillas Empire.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This guy was conquering space long befor Frieza was a thought in toriyama's head. The original psychotic galactic overlord.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:05 pm

The space ship of Dragon Ball Z movie 4:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

... reminds me of this Pokemon:

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:08 pm

The only one I'm really a fan of is the GT spaceship. The others are fine, but none of them strike me as stand-out spaceship designs like the Enterprise or the Imperial Star Destroyer. In fact, I'm not sure any of these are even close to Toriyama's best vehicle designs. Oh, and I'm sorry, but the Angel Cube is just pathetic.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:18 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote:Oh, and I'm sorry, but the Angel Cube is just pathetic.
The Angel Cube design wise is of course nothing much, but I'd like to think that's the point.
Humans of the lower realm have to rely on advanced, complicated technology and smart design choices to achieve results that godly beings can accomplish easily with their divine magic, thus the vast discrepancy in the designs of their spacecrafts.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:25 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
KinguKurimuzon wrote:Oh, and I'm sorry, but the Angel Cube is just pathetic.
The Angel Cube design wise is of course nothing much, but I'd like to think that's the point.
Humans of the lower realm have to rely on advanced, complicated technology and smart design choices to achieve results that godly beings can accomplish easily with their divine magic, thus the vast discrepancy in the designs of their spacecrafts.
I get it, Toriyama likes to show powerful characters and objects as looking weaker than you'd expect. It's why Zeno, Kid Buu, and Freeza's final form look the way they do. But with the Angel ship, I'm sure you could accomplish that with a design a bit more interesting than a literal cube that probably took about 30 seconds to draw.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:50 pm

None of the spaceships are particularly outstanding, although the Capsule Corp ship is neat for having a simple design and being large enough to live in. The worst is GT's weird insectoid octopus design, but funnily enough I also happen to like it the most from an interior design perspective. It has a sweet gaming room, and I really admire the viewing dome at the top that's used for a scene or two in the early episodes.

Also have to give a shoutout to the Saiyan pods for having a catch-landing system most likely to be given the "Thought Up By An Eight Year Old" award: GIANT PILLOW!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote:The only one I'm really a fan of is the GT spaceship. The others are fine, but none of them strike me as stand-out spaceship designs like the Enterprise or the Imperial Star Destroyer. In fact, I'm not sure any of these are even close to Toriyama's best vehicle designs. Oh, and I'm sorry, but the Angel Cube is just pathetic.
I think the Saiyan Space Pod, while simplistic in design, is fairly iconic.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
KinguKurimuzon wrote:The only one I'm really a fan of is the GT spaceship. The others are fine, but none of them strike me as stand-out spaceship designs like the Enterprise or the Imperial Star Destroyer. In fact, I'm not sure any of these are even close to Toriyama's best vehicle designs. Oh, and I'm sorry, but the Angel Cube is just pathetic.
I think the Saiyan Space Pod, while simplistic in design, is fairly iconic.
They are iconic but I think it's hard to classify them as a spaceship. They're more like space cabinets...

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:13 pm

The angel cube may even be an occultic/religious reference. You see heavenly or extra-terrestrial cubes in lots of films. Transformers being a fairly famous example, but there was the trinity cubes in the Justice League film recently, Avengers, Thor, the data cube in the film Prometheus, and the sci-fi film 2036 that just released in June this year, to name a few others.

So, the cube actually makes a lot of sense when the divine use it in Dragon Ball, as it exists within real-world myth and religion. If this is a reference to that, then the idea is more interesting and deep than you might think, despite the design.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 am

Attitudefan wrote:
The angel cube may even be an occultic/religious reference. You see heavenly or extra-terrestrial cubes in lots of films. Transformers being a fairly famous example, but there was the trinity cubes in the Justice League film recently, Avengers, Thor, the data cube in the film Prometheus, and the sci-fi film 2036 that just released in June this year, to name a few others.

So, the cube actually makes a lot of sense when the divine use it in Dragon Ball, as it exists within real-world myth and religion. If this is a reference to that, then the idea is more interesting and deep than you might think, despite the design.
You mean like the New Jerusalem in the Book of Revelation?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:57 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:

You mean like the New Jerusalem in the Book of Revelation?
Yes, something akin to that. That would be one example of this. I could go over it more, but it would be way off topic.

EDIT: For those interested, look into Metatron's Cube.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada