I Liked Brianne de Chatteau's Character Design

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mrpinbert

I Liked Brianne de Chatteau's Character Design

Post by mrpinbert » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:20 pm

But I'm not sure about Ribrianne.

I understand that Universe 2 in general is supposed to be a parody of the Magical Girl genre.

It's just that I wasn't really sure what the idea was behind the transformation from Brianne to Ribrianne.

From what I have seen of the "Magical Girl" genre, I don't really get what Ribrianne is supposed to represent.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: I Liked Brianne de Chatteau's Character Design

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Yeah she has cool design, actually one of the few DBS designs i actually liked.
Too bad rest of her character is complete opposite.

Also, have in mind that Ribrianne is her natural form. This is the look she was meant to have in first place as far as i know. This is the only form she has in manga.
Her pretty Brianne design is anime filler for now. Bad news for people who wished Brianne didn't have her Ribrianne form, because it's actually Ribrianne who has Brianne form lol.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Ribrianne design was created by Akira Toriyama while Brianne is from Toei.
    Yeah Brianne has a cute design shame we didn't get to see it in the manga though I also like Ribrianne design, it's very unique and it reminds me of Zarbon.
    Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:04 pm

The manga version of Ribrianne isn’t even really a magic girl parody. The joke with her manga counterpart is that she considers things that are conventionally considered beautiful to be ugly, and vice versa. There was none of that “I will spread love throughout the universe, whatever that means” shtick.

I believe it has been stated somewhere that the idea of Ribrianne and her teammates having base forms was something that Toei came up with, so it would seem that the whole magic girl parody thing was just Toei trying to give a cute nod to the other shows they’ve worked on.

Polyphase Avatron
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:01 am

WittyUsername wrote:The manga version of Ribrianne isn’t even really a magic girl parody. The joke with her manga counterpart is that she considers things that are conventionally considered beautiful to be ugly, and vice versa. There was none of that “I will spread love throughout the universe, whatever that means” shtick.

I believe it has been stated somewhere that the idea of Ribrianne and her teammates having base forms was something that Toei came up with, so it would seem that the whole magic girl parody thing was just Toei trying to give a cute nod to the other shows they’ve worked on.
    Anime Ribrianne liked Jiren so what will that imply if the manga version does too?
    Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

mrpinbert

Post by mrpinbert » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:41 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Yeah she has cool design, actually one of the few DBS designs i actually liked.
    Too bad rest of her character is complete opposite.

Also, have in mind that Ribrianne is her natural form. This is the look she was meant to have in first place as far as i know. This is the only form she has in manga.
    Her pretty Brianne design is anime filler for now. Bad news for people who wished Brianne didn't have her Ribrianne form, because it's actually Ribrianne who has Brianne form lol.
    I know that for most of Dragon Ball history it was usually considered that the Manga is "more Canon" than the anime.
    But with Dragon Ball Super I have read allot of discussion about if it isn't the other way around, since the anime came out first.
    Which would essentially make the manga an adaptation of the anime, and not the other way around.

So in essence the Anime is "more canon" than the manga. (or at least that is my theory).

But I do like your explanation, because in this light the character of Ribrianne makes allot more sense.

Kokonoe
    Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 am

WittyUsername wrote:The manga version of Ribrianne isn’t even really a magic girl parody. The joke with her manga counterpart is that she considers things that are conventionally considered beautiful to be ugly, and vice versa. There was none of that “I will spread love throughout the universe, whatever that means” shtick.

I should really catch up on the Super manga, I've genuinely enjoyed the writing there much more than the anime.

DragonBallFoodie
    Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:45 pm

What's interesting is that Ribrianne is the original/only form as the manga states, but I find Brianne prettier than Ribrianne.
    "Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
    A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DestructoDisc
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:25 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:What's interesting is that Ribrianne is the original/only form as the manga states, but I find Brianne prettier than Ribrianne.
    Believe me when I say that so does everyone else.

I wonder how old Brianne is. She looks around the same age as Caulifla and Kale to me, who look 16-ish, maybe 17.

Polyphase Avatron
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm

DestructoDisc wrote:
    DragonBallFoodie wrote:What's interesting is that Ribrianne is the original/only form as the manga states, but I find Brianne prettier than Ribrianne.
    Believe me when I say that so does everyone else.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. There are some people out there with weird tastes...
    Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

CJStriker_CBR
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:34 pm

mrpinbert wrote:But I'm not sure about Ribrianne.

I understand that Universe 2 in general is supposed to be a parody of the Magical Girl genre.

It's just that I wasn't really sure what the idea was behind the transformation from Brianne to Ribrianne.

From what I have seen of the "Magical Girl" genre, I don't really get what Ribrianne is supposed to represent.
    Well 1st thanks for asking the Questions, Thanks for the Thread and Glad you liked Brianne de Chateau's character design Mrpinbert. :thumbup:

Indeed as stated before by other posters like Spider-Man, Ribrianne the Design of her was originally created by Akira Toriyama, so Fans of Ribrianne can say that Ribrianne was an original idea of Akira Toriyama himself.

The Design of Brianne de Chateau was the creation of Toei staff themselves, which by many regards makes allot of sense cause Toei Studios is the Supreme Superpower of Magical Girl Series like Sailor Moon and Precure.

So like Youtuber MasakoX says in the Video Below, go to part 6:40 to see Ribrianne's part, it was a Team effort by Akira Toriyama and Toei to bring the Ribrianne/Brianne de Chateau to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nUtYW9N5Q&t=447s

By what I believe Toei was getting at is to say the basic ideals of what most of western society considers as perfect beauty that usually happens with many magical girls gets a new twist put on it, that the ideal of beauty is really subjective and when you go to different places like different parts of the world, or in this cause a different universe, the ideal of Perfect Beauty is different then what most of use consider it to be.

I find that a Refreshing take on the Ideals of Beauty and that is what I felt Toei and Akira Toriyama was getting at with Brianne's change into Ribrianne, Perfect Beauty in the Minds eye of Universe 2 is different then the standards we see in most of our media and films.

IMO, Beauty is always been in the Minds eye and what Ribrianne should represent is the Reminder of that, that Beauty and what makes a Girl Beautiful is not a one way street, Beauty is in the minds eyes of those that View them. That is IMO as well, that Brianne and Ribrianne are Very Pretty Girls in their own unique ways.

This is what I thing Toei and Akira Toriyama where getting at with Brianne's change into Ribrianne, Hope that Help. :)
    --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
    Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
    My #1 in DB!
    :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
    http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Polyphase Avatron
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:By what I believe Toei was getting at is to say the basic ideals of what most of western society considers as perfect beauty that usually happens with many magical girls gets a new twist put on it, that the ideal of beauty is really subjective and when you go to different places like different parts of the world, or in this cause a different universe, the ideal of Perfect Beauty is different then what most of use consider it to be.

I find that a Refreshing take on the Ideals of Beauty and that is what I felt Toei and Akira Toriyama was getting at with Brianne's change into Ribrianne, Perfect Beauty in the Minds eye of Universe 2 is different then the standards we see in most of our media and films.

IMO, Beauty is always been in the Minds eye and what Ribrianne should represent is the Reminder of that, that Beauty and what makes a Girl Beautiful is not a one way street, Beauty is in the minds eyes of those that View them. That is IMO as well, that Brianne and Ribrianne are Very Pretty Girls in their own unique ways.
    Doesn't that kind of fall flat on its face due to the fact that Helles and many of the other Universe 2 team members could be considered 'conventionally' beautiful?

BlazingFiddlesticks
    I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Naming a dainty girl after beef might be one of Dragon Ball's best food puns, if nothing else.
    JulieYBM wrote:
    Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
    Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
    son veku wrote:
    Metalwario64 wrote:
    BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
    Where is that located?
    Canada

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
    CJStriker_CBR wrote:By what I believe Toei was getting at is to say the basic ideals of what most of western society considers as perfect beauty that usually happens with many magical girls gets a new twist put on it, that the ideal of beauty is really subjective and when you go to different places like different parts of the world, or in this cause a different universe, the ideal of Perfect Beauty is different then what most of use consider it to be.

Doesn't that kind of fall flat on its face due to the fact that Helles and many of the other Universe 2 team members could be considered 'conventionally' beautiful?
    It would be an interesting retrospective, if Helles considers her look only middle beautiful compared to that of the transformed maidens would be an interesting develop to have been said by her. But by the reactions the Maidens got in episode 102 how wild their team and their Kai went for them in their transformed state it makes a decent amount of sense to see that being the case maybe. :think:

But I think beauty definitions are just one part of U2, that was more of the stick in the Manga, in the anime that was part of their character, more of U2 in the Anime was about the ideals of Love and how powerful a force it can be depending on the types of love the are using, like with the Ribrianne/18 fight.
    My #1 in DB!

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 am

if I liked
    I would say that the kamikaze fireballs represent a parody of the mahou shoujo, as well as the ginyu force parody the super sentai

A21Fan

Post by A21Fan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 am

Brianne: :thumbup:
    Ribrianne: *chokes*

MozillaVulpix
    Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:15 pm

The idea is pretty straightforward to me. Normally, magical girls become prettier after they transform, but Brianne becomes by our definition uglier. But since this is another universe, her fat form is the one that's considered the beautiful one. It's a joke at what we'd expect a magical girl to look like after transforming and remembering what kind of show this actually is.
    I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:The idea is pretty straightforward to me. Normally, magical girls become prettier after they transform, but Brianne becomes by our definition uglier. But since this is another universe, her fat form is the one that's considered the beautiful one. It's a joke at what we'd expect a magical girl to look like after transforming and remembering what kind of show this actually is.
    Even then, that idea is portrayed somewhat inconsistently in the anime, given that Ribrianne’s anime self was grossed out by the way Kuririn (who is a rather odd looking fellow) looks, which, ironically enough, is the opposite of the reaction she had towards him in the manga.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:The idea is pretty straightforward to me. Normally, magical girls become prettier after they transform, but Brianne becomes by our definition uglier. But since this is another universe, her fat form is the one that's considered the beautiful one. It's a joke at what we'd expect a magical girl to look like after transforming and remembering what kind of show this actually is.
    That is an interesting topic for discussion and going on that, taking it further, indeed while Ribrianne is a continuation of Akira Toriyama's creative idealism of subverting conventional norms of what fans expect in idealism, in this case, of Beauty and How one of the strongest Female characters in DB should look like towards the opposite is a good trademark of his, it is also something more broader, About Ribrianne, it what it should say about the truths about ourselves and what we consider is common agreed upon in society.

U2 is not just an idealism of turning the view 180 degrees different on what most in our reality consider what beauty in a girl should look like, but it states truly that Beauty and what is strength is all subjective to individual idealism, views, experiences and people. IMO and I know a world of others, Beauty in Girls come in many forms, Ribrianne reminds us that many of us consider her looks honestly still that of a Very Beautiful Girl while others don't, it shows that people have different views and tastes in what they consider makes a girl beautiful. In the end, we don't need to be from another universe to have those views and opinions, it is common place in our society like it always has been.

So in the end while some consider Brianne changing into Ribrianne is her becoming more un-beautiful by what we say is societies standards, others consider the exact opposite and U2 is a representation that views are subjective for many reasons and that is one point in what makes Ribrianne/Brianne such an interesting character to talk about. :)
    My #1 in DB!

MooncakeTutu

Post by MooncakeTutu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 am

Almost every Universe 2 character seems super interesting to me, so I'm not opposed to it.