The Ultimate “Canon” Guide of Dragon Ball NOT YET COMPLETED

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

The Ultimate “Canon” Guide of Dragon Ball NOT YET COMPLETED

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I’m too lazy to finish right now (I haven’t even added in my own two cents in), but this is a preview. You like it? Any feedback? Any Criticisms? I noticed that there were too many conflicts in the fandom about what has been canon or not so I felt the urge to create this.

- The original 42 “Dragon Ball” manga volumes, and Jaco the Space Patrolman are all created by Akira Toriyama himself.

- The “Dragon Ball” anime: An anime adaptation based upon the original 42 manga volumes created by Toei Animation. Some altercations have been made based upon/compared to the original 42 manga volumes. Akira Toriyama has in fact helped with proudction of the anime through the anime’s base upon the original 42 manga volumes and his creation of anime only characters and their designs.

- The “Dragon Ball” movies: Four theatrical adaptations based upon the Dragon Ball anime created by Toei Animation. Numerous altercations have been made based upon/compared to the Dragon Ball anime. Akira Toriyama has in fact helped with production of these films through character designs.

- The “Dragon Ball Z” anime: A 291 episode Toei Animation anime adaptation (including TV specials 1 and 2) based upon the Saiyan-Boo Arcs of the original 42 manga volumes, the Dragon Ball anime, and Dragon Ball Z movie 1. Some altercations and story additions have been made in this anime based upon/compared to the 42 manga volumes. Akira Toriyama has in fact helped with production of this anime through the baseoriginal 42 manga volumes and his creation of anime only characters and their designs.

- “Dragon Ball Z” movies 1-13: Entirely new theatrical side stories created by Toei Animation based upon the Dragon Ball Z anime. Akira Toriyama has in fact helped with production of these movies. Through character designs.

- The “Dragon Ball GT” anime: A 64 episode entirely new anime side story (including its TV special) created by Toei Animation based upon the Dragon Ball anime, the Dragon Ball Z anime, and Dragon Ball Z movies 1-13. Akira Toriyama has in fact helped with production of this anime through his creation of character desgins, environments, and objects all appearing in the series.

- “Dragon Ball Z” Movie 14 (“God and God”): A theatrical anime adaptation based upon the original 42 volumes (i.e. Gregory not appearing on Kaio’s planet) and potentially also based off of the actual Dragon Ball Z anime (given how the film literally has “Dragon Ball Z” in its title). The original story and premise of this film was created by Toei Animation, but Akira Toriyama came and made a number of altercations to this film. Obviously, Toriyama has in fact helped with production of this film. Character designs, plot, and most likely literal script as well.

- The “Revival of F” script: A script created entirely by Akira Toriyama himself. The script has been adapted as the script for the fifteenth theatrical Dragon Ball Z film.

- “Dragon Ball Z” Movie 15 (Revival of F): A theatrical anime adaptation based off of the Revival of F script created by Toei Animation. Minimal altercations of this film have been made based upon the Revial of F script. Akira Toriyama has in fact helped with production of this film by producing the Revival of F script and by producing character designs for the film. Toriyama has stated that he considers Revival of F a direct continuation of the original 42 volumes.

- “Dragon Ball Super” (Outlines): Outlines or guides as basis for Super’s arcs. Information as to what happens in each arc (plot points A to B, who does what, who fights who, who gets the transformations and when they get them, and etc) are listed in these outlines. The Dragon Ball Super manga and Dragon Ball Super anime use these outlines and add additional content to “fill in the gaps” as to what’s to be be presented in each iteration. Akira Toriyama has created these outlines entirely. The outlines also get additions/altercations by Toyotaro and Toei Animation.

- The “Dragon Ball Super” Manga: An ongoing manga adaptation primarily based upon the original 42 manga volumes and Dragon Ball Super outlines. Majority of the manga’s script as well as illustrations and panels are all by Toyotaro. Akira Toriyama is in fact helping with production of this manga by supervising the manga (making additions and corrections to Toyotaro’s work), as well as creating select storyboards and creating character designs for the manga.

- The “Dragon Ball Super” Anime: A 131 episode anime adaptation (creates by Toei Animation) based upon the original 42 manga volumes, the Dragon Ball anime, the Dragon Ball Z anime, Dragon Ball Z movie 14 (God and God), The Revival of F script, Dragon Ball Z movie 15 (Revival of F), and the Dragon Ball Super outlines. Akira Toriyama has in fact worked on production of the anime by the anime’s base upon the Dragon Ball Super outlines, as well as creating character designs for the anime. Currently, it isn’t clear if Toriyama actually reads and supervises the script of each and every episode before they finish production and then go onto air.

sintzu
Banned

Re: The Ultimate “Canon” Guide of Dragon Ball NOT YET COMPLETED

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:42 pm

So...Broly is back in Super's new movie so who's the "real (canon)" Broly ? Toriyama's Super Broly or Toei's Z Broly ? Now to go get some popcorn. 8)
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm

I'll stick with this if you don't mind.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 pm

Not to be too much of a downer here, but this feels ill-advised to be called the Ultimate Canon Guide. Toei doesn't want to lay any hard word on what is or isn't canon, and the writers certainly don't put any time into managing it (I mean even the Daizenshuu amount to a shrug and a "Maaaaaybe?? (buy GT!)"), so fan interpretation is just that; interpretation. I have a pretty solid idea of what I think the continuity web is, but I'd never call it the only way one can interpret it.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:42 pm

I went to Toriyama Akria's house and he told me my lemon fanfic I wrote back in 1999 is Canon so please add it to your list. Thanks.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 am

The manga and anime couldn't both possibly be canon. Bulma doesn't even have the same color hair lol. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:31 am

Zoda could you stop bumping up old threads?