Dragon Ball spin-offs, original stories, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball spin-offs, original stories, etc.

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:56 pm

I'd like to get some help with this topic:

What works for the DB franchise are explicitly named as spin-offs, gaiden, original stories or whatsoever? And by who?

I remember some statement by Toriyama himself regarding GT as a "side story" or something, and also some commercial ad for DragonGarowLee's Yamcha's manga, naming it a gaiden.

What else is named like this in the franchise?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball spin-offs, original stories, etc.

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm

I don't know about stuff that's been 'explicitly stated' as side-stories per say, but there is some further information about stories that would definitely count as side-stories and such on the official site, specifically here. So things such as the Dragon Ball Super manga would count, but more so what you're thinking of likely would be things such as Episode of Bardock, Dragon Ball SD, Dragon Ball Heroes, and of course the 'Reborn as Yamcha' manga. Of particular interest though I'd say would be these, the Original Illustrated Stories, which give us further detail on the mindset of three characters: Piccolo (leading up to the fight against the Saiyans), Vegeta (as he dies on Namek), and Trunks (just further stuff on his thought process coming from where he comes from).

In terms of anime stuff, even beyond GT as a whole there's the Goku Jr. focused TV special, which flat-out has 'Gaiden' in it's Japanese title, so that would definitely count. There would then be the anime adaptation of Episode of Bardock, and likely the JSAT special from 2008 would count as well. The Televikko thing, the two versions of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, and the Public Service announcements would probably count too - there's info on a bunch of these lower on this page.

And I guess if we wanted to count games that have substantial amounts of original stories, there's all the various releases of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans (which all have 'Gaiden' in their original Japanese titles as well), Ultimate Tenkaichi, Xenoverse 1 and 2, Dragon Ball FighterZ, both of the SuperSonic Warriors games, Shin Budokai: Another Road, Extreme Butoden, and Fusions. Oh, duh, and the Heroes game as well.

So yeah, not entirely sure how many things are explicitly stated by Toei, Toriyama, or any other affiliated parties as side stories or such, but there's definitely a ton of things that unofficially at least would definitely count as side-stories. Hell, an argument could be made for every single one of the movies too actually. Hope this helps at least a little bit.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)