Trying to get DBZ Kai on TV in Norway - need tv ratings, sales numbers, news paper articles etc world wide

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DerekPadula
Regular

Re: Trying to get DBZ Kai on TV in Norway - need tv ratings, sales numbers, news paper articles etc world wide

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Looks like a lot of the numbers have already been provided. So I'll focus on the questions directed at me.

Regarding stories from fans, as you know, Dragon Soul is a book filled with 108 stories from Dragon Ball fans and voice actors around the world who talk about how the series changed their lives for the better. There's a lot of powerful stories in there, such as the two kids who were kidnapped by drug lords and were then raised on Dragon Ball Z as if it were their foster parents. I also like the story by the Brazilian voice of Goku, Wendel Bezerra, when he performed a Genki Dama on stage at an anime convention to gather energy for his son's life-saving operation. Too many good stories to choose just one. If you want to use specific quotes from the book in your pitch material, then let me know what they are before you do it, and I'll give you my approval. Same for the pictures and cover art.

Why has Dragon Ball Z become so popular? It's a complicated subject that goes far beyond 'people like punching and screaming.' I've written 9 books that attempt to answer this question, with more on the way. In the "It's Over 9,000!" book I talk about how DBZ appeals to people on a psychological level. Dragon Soul explores the emotional level. The 7 volumes of Dragon Ball Culture reveal how the series appeals to people on a cultural, storytelling, and trope level. Toriyama's way of drawing and writing Dragon Ball makes it appeal to everyone across the world, by fusing eastern and western culture, both ancient and modern, into a familiar yet new adventure that everybody can relate to and enjoy.

Dragon Ball succeeds wherever it goes. And in many cases it establishes the entire anime industry in that country or region. For example, in the Middle East there's an Arabic dub, where they censor out the fact that Raditz is Goku's brother. Sean Schemmel told me that it's because apparently in Islamic Law it's forbidden for a brother to kill his brother. So they changed him into some random space alien that has no familial connection to Goku. But the show is still extremely popular. And in fact, so is Sean, as fans over there seek out the illegal English dub so they can watch what the series is actually supposed to be. All of this is to say that Dragon Ball is super popular and successful and people everywhere want more of it.

If you want more a specific answer, then please narrow your question.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Trying to get DBZ Kai on TV in Norway - need tv ratings, sales numbers, news paper articles etc world wide

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 pm

in the Middle East there's an Arabic dub, where they censor out the fact that Raditz is Goku's brother. Sean Schemmel told me that it's because apparently in Islamic Law it's forbidden for a brother to kill his brother. So they changed him into some random space alien that has no familial connection to Goku.
If FUNimation tried that they'd be drawn and quartered!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:24 am

DerekPadula wrote:Looks like a lot of the numbers have already been provided. So I'll focus on the questions directed at me.

Regarding stories from fans, as you know, Dragon Soul is a book filled with 108 stories from Dragon Ball fans and voice actors around the world who talk about how the series changed their lives for the better. There's a lot of powerful stories in there, such as the two kids who were kidnapped by drug lords and were then raised on Dragon Ball Z as if it were their foster parents. I also like the story by the Brazilian voice of Goku, Wendel Bezerra, when he performed a Genki Dama on stage at an anime convention to gather energy for his son's life-saving operation. Too many good stories to choose just one. If you want to use specific quotes from the book in your pitch material, then let me know what they are before you do it, and I'll give you my approval. Same for the pictures and cover art.

Why has Dragon Ball Z become so popular? It's a complicated subject that goes far beyond 'people like punching and screaming.' I've written 9 books that attempt to answer this question, with more on the way. In the "It's Over 9,000!" book I talk about how DBZ appeals to people on a psychological level. Dragon Soul explores the emotional level. The 7 volumes of Dragon Ball Culture reveal how the series appeals to people on a cultural, storytelling, and trope level. Toriyama's way of drawing and writing Dragon Ball makes it appeal to everyone across the world, by fusing eastern and western culture, both ancient and modern, into a familiar yet new adventure that everybody can relate to and enjoy.

Dragon Ball succeeds wherever it goes. And in many cases it establishes the entire anime industry in that country or region. For example, in the Middle East there's an Arabic dub, where they censor out the fact that Raditz is Goku's brother. Sean Schemmel told me that it's because apparently in Islamic Law it's forbidden for a brother to kill his brother. So they changed him into some random space alien that has no familial connection to Goku. But the show is still extremely popular. And in fact, so is Sean, as fans over there seek out the illegal English dub so they can watch what the series is actually supposed to be. All of this is to say that Dragon Ball is super popular and successful and people everywhere want more of it.

If you want more a specific answer, then please narrow your question.
Thanks man! I am trying to sell show to a tv channel, so the question in my documentation will be "Why get Dragon Ball to Norway? ". And "Why show Dragon Ball Z Kai on Tv?". (Norway is North Europe and counted as a Western country so i guess it would be good to answer why it is popular in the West).

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:52 pm

I found some Hungarian audience numbers :D

According to this blog article:
https://lengabor.blogspot.com/2018/04/o ... 6.html?m=1
Super was the second most watched show on Viasat 6, getting around 33,068 viewers and an audience share of 3.5%.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 am

Tian wrote:I found some Hungarian audience numbers :D

According to this blog article:
https://lengabor.blogspot.com/2018/04/o ... 6.html?m=1
Super was the second most watched show on Viasat 6, getting around 33,068 viewers and an audience share of 3.5%.
Cool. Thanks again, man!

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 am

sangofe wrote:snip
So what happen did they broadcast Kai?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Uh, no. This has gotten nowhere.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

I'm one of those guys who's a fan of Dragon Ball Kai and its dubs but the truth is that the show is old news, so for Norway the best might be to license Super. It's not the same thing, but it's something.

We're yet to see the Ocean Kai dub premiere on Canadian TV.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm one of those guys who's a fan of Dragon Ball Kai and its dubs but the truth is that the show is old news, so for Norway the best might be to license Super.
Yeah, because starting at the Saiyan saga wasn't bad enough. (Yeah, I know the US got the Pilaf saga before the jump to Z, but I don't think CN ever aired the BLT dub aside from maybe DB Movie 1, and even then only after the Funi dub of OG DB started?)
Last edited by Danfun64 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 pm

I agree with Danfun MASSIVELY. Super is MEANINGLESS if you cant care for the characters, which it by itself has a really hard time doing. Starting from Z was bad enough, Besides Z Kai would be all new to the Norway Audience.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:27 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I agree with Danfun MASSIVELY. Super is MEANINGLESS if you cant care for the characters, which it by itself has a really hard time doing. Starting from Z was bad enough, Besides Z Kai would be all new to the Norway Audience.
Dragon Ball Kai is two separate products, the first follows from the Saiyan arc through the Cell arc, 98 episodes long. Then there's "Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters" which is either 61 or 69 episodes depending on the source, and this covered the final arc of the Dragon Ball Z refreshed series – Majin Boo.

In terms of a lesser quantity, Kai + TFC might be better as it's 167 episodes long whereas the original series was 291 episodes so 124 chapters less but this isn't taking into account the music and picture quality which are far better and consistent throughout in Z.

Not to forget, Dragon Ball Kai commenced with Dragon Ball Z and giving only a short summary of the events that happened in Dragon Ball. Maybe it's for the better because due to the Yamamoto scandal so we'd have even less episodes with an original score than a replacement one. Sumitomo's music? He eventually understood how DB music was but it wasn't until late in Dragon Ball Super.

Wrapping it up, it would be much more rewarding for Norway to dub Dragon Ball Z than Kai + TFC. Heck, Brazilian-Portuguese and Mexican-Spanish dubs of Dragon Ball Kai were inferior to their Dragon Ball Z dubs. Inferior yeah, but still good.. but inferior. :P

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 am

sangofe wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Dang, did they want bigger numbers? Because if there's still an opportunity for them dub it I have them.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: So what happen did they broadcast Kai?
Dang, did they want bigger numbers? Because if there's still an opportunity for them dub it I have them.
Actually it stalled because of our personal lives but we have not given up. Please, if you got data do share it along with sources.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:20 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm one of those guys who's a fan of Dragon Ball Kai and its dubs but the truth is that the show is old news, so for Norway the best might be to license Super. It's not the same thing, but it's something.

Start with Super? No...

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 am

sangofe wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm one of those guys who's a fan of Dragon Ball Kai and its dubs but the truth is that the show is old news, so for Norway the best might be to license Super. It's not the same thing, but it's something.

Start with Super? No...
They'd better dub Z than Kai then.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:01 am

sangofe wrote: Actually it stalled because of our personal lives but we have not given up. Please, if you got data do share it along with sources.
It's a relief to know this project is still on. Well in that case, I will continue to provide audience numbers.

This is one from a rerun of DBGT on Italia 1 on February 19, 2013:
https://www.davidemaggio.it/archives/70 ... braio-2013
According to it, that rerun had 1.409.000 viewers with an audience share of 8.57%.

Here's the original text (to save you time from looking for it because there are many ratings from other shows):
seguire Dragon Ball GT ottiene 1.409.000 telespettatori con l’8.57%.
I'll look if there are more of these. :D

Edit:
Yup, I just got numbers for two Italian reruns of DBZ on September 25, 2007:
http://www.tvblog.it/post/6507/ascolti- ... embre-2007

They had an audience share of 10,22% and 9,56%. Both reruns are listed as DRAGON BALL WHAT'S MY DESTINY.

That blog could be a good source, I'll check if it has more entries with audience numbers for DB.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Start with Super? No...
They'd better dub Z than Kai then.
Too long. Not in HD atm. More costly to remaster. Kai is already edited for tv airing. So i don't agree.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 pm

sangofe wrote:Too long. Not in HD atm. More costly to remaster. Kai is already edited for tv airing. So i don't agree.
Kai's replacement Z score was butchered but you're right on that it's much, much longer. Remaster? They wouldn't be the ones to do that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:03 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
sangofe wrote:Too long. Not in HD atm. More costly to remaster. Kai is already edited for tv airing. So i don't agree.
Kai's replacement Z score was butchered but you're right on that it's much, much longer. Remaster? They wouldn't be the ones to do that.
No, but to buy the remastered version i imagine would be more expensive.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm

According to Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathway Company the DB franchise spawned the top-selling fighting games in 2002 and 2003, as well as, websites belonging to the DB Franchise getting eight million hits per day in addition to the term Dragon Ball being a top 10 search term on Lycos on the Lycos 50 Daily Report for 200 consecutive weeks.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... Nationwide

As of 2017, according to the Los Angeles Times, the Dragon Ball franchise has sold over 30 million DVDs and Blu-rays in the US alone.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170630183 ... story.html

As of August 2017, Manga Mag Japon reported the original run of the 42 volume manga of DB to have 300 million copies in print, which is highly impressive considering the year before it was at 240 million copies sold.

https://twitter.com/MangaMagJapon/statu ... 44864?s=19

In July 2017, Business Wire reported Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle hitting 200 million downloads worldwide along with reaching #1 in sales ranking in 17 countries.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... -Downloads

Dragon Ball Z Dokkan battle at one point was generating $2 million a day.

http://gpatronas.com/how-much-money-can-an-app-earn/

Dragon Ball Legends generated $40 million in just over a month, and as of September 2018 made $65 million in revenue.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/63342/dr ... index.html

For the Q2 and Q3 of 2017, DBZ Dokkan Battle was in the top ten for highest grossing mobile games by revenue worldwide.

https://sensortower.com/blog/top-mobile-games-q2-2017

https://sensortower.com/blog/top-mobile-games-q3-2017