Is it jarring to watch the dubs of Z and GT with the Japanese scores?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Is it jarring to watch the dubs of Z and GT with the Japanese scores?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:21 pm

As reluctant as I was to start another dub related thread after a certain other thread I made spiraled out of control, I figured that this was something relatively harmless to ask.

It’s common knowledge that when FUNimation made the dubs for DBZ and DBGT, they had a different tone in mind when it came to marketing the series compared to the Japanese version, hence why they initially went with replacement scores, and that these replacement scores were an ill-conceived attempt to try and make the shows more “cool” and accessible for American audiences. With that is mind, would you say that the Japanese scores for Z and GT feel out of place when placed alongside their respective English dubs by FUNimation?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Is it jarring to watch the dubs of Z and GT with the Japanese scores?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:56 pm

I don't like the dubs, so I'd say yes.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:28 pm

I thought it was fine. Especially GT because I think the dub score for that series was horrible. Faulconer, I could take, but I thought it was pretty cool listening to the Kikuchi score with the dub. I know that DBZ was founded with the intention of the wall-to-wall music, but I didn't find it any more awkward than Dragon Ball, for example. Give it a shot; you might like it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 pm

For Z, it doesn't fit that well, but it's not jarringly bad, it's just that the Funi dub isn't geared for that soundtrack, so it's a bit odd.

For GT, it really doesn't work, but Funimation's GT dub sucks anyway; you're doing something wrong if you're watching the Funi dub of GT, you're much better off going with BW's dub for GT, if you must watch it dubbed -- BW's kept the original Japanese score, the scripts were actually really good, and the actual tone of the thing was right.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I thought it was fine. Especially GT because I think the dub score for that series was horrible. Faulconer, I could take, but I thought it was pretty cool listening to the Kikuchi score with the dub. I know that DBZ was founded with the intention of the wall-to-wall music, but I didn't find it any more awkward than Dragon Ball, for example. Give it a shot; you might like it.
I actually have watched the dubs with the Japanese score. I was just curious what people’s thoughts on the matter are.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 pm

With Z Kai it works because FUNi knew they'd be sticking with Yamamoto's score (or later on, Sumitomo), but I feel it also works with the Kikuchi replacement score.

As for GT, I also feel it works pretty well... so long as the narrator isn't talking, then there's a HUGE disparity in tone.

It makes sense really because when the Japanese audio is recorded they don't really know what audio cue they'll actually use for that scene, right? So they're in the same boat.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 am

WittyUsername wrote:As reluctant as I was to start another dub related thread after a certain other thread I made spiraled out of control, I figured that this was something relatively harmless to ask.

It’s common knowledge that when FUNimation made the dubs for DBZ and DBGT, they had a different tone in mind when it came to marketing the series compared to the Japanese version, hence why they initially went with replacement scores, and that these replacement scores were an ill-conceived attempt to try and make the shows more “cool” and accessible for American audiences. With that is mind, would you say that the Japanese scores for Z and GT feel out of place when placed alongside their respective English dubs by FUNimation?

Not at all. Since I own the blue, orange, and green bricks I watched all of DB/Z/GT with the Uncut English voices and Japanese background music on and it worked! People like to complain that Z added talking during quiet scenes but the JAP silence only soundtrack made these "talkative" scenes better. Then when the JAP music kicks in it enhances the (usually) battle heavy scenes. I would say try it out because it actually works. Go watch Trunks change into a SS with the Uncut English dub on AND the JAP music on as well.
You'll be surprised at how well it plays out.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:38 pm

While it is true that removing the constant music draws more attention to weak voice overs, I don't have any issue with it. Though the surround track's making the recap music almost step aside for Kyle Hebert's loud latter narration's is unintentionally funny.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada