Why do so many Z fans refuse to watch the original Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why do so many Z fans refuse to watch the original Dragon Ball?

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:06 pm

I've met so many people who watched Z but never watched the first Dragon Ball series. They even made a joke about this in Dragon Ball Z Abridged. Why do so many Z fans refuse to watch Dragon Ball? Aren't they interested in how Goku, Krillin and the others were as kids and how they met? I grew up with Z too but once I learned about Dragon Ball i instantly started watching it. I just don't understand why Z fans refuse to give it a chance.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Why do so many Z fans refuse to watch the original Dragon Ball?

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Probably cause there isn't really an easy way to watch the original Dragon Ball for most individuals that doesn't relate to piracy.

Another factor is the lack of advertisement of the original series.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Kokonoe made a good point. It lacks advertising. It's even less advertised than GT and it's a real definition of what DB is.
The most popular DB games mostly skip original DB characters.

Also, for the same reason as people (including "FUN"imation) skip first GT arc:

Fighting >>> Story, adventures, humour, character development

It's sad. I'd like next big DB game to be based on original series. I'd love to see faces of those who were hyped to play as LSSJ4 God UI Broly, but got kid Goku with power pole instead.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Probably cause there isn't really an easy way to watch the original Dragon Ball for most individuals that doesn't relate to piracy.

Another factor is the lack of advertisement of the original series.
Home video and Hulu are easily accessible.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Lack of promotion from everyone involved with the franchise.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Probably cause there isn't really an easy way to watch the original Dragon Ball for most individuals that doesn't relate to piracy.
It's available on exactly the same platforms as Z is. Only difference is Z's video master is significantly worse.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Kokonoe made a good point. It lacks advertising. It's even less advertised than GT and it's a real definition of what DB is.

It's sad. I'd like next big DB game to be based on original series. I'd love to see faces of those who were hyped to play as LSSJ4 God UI Broly, but got kid Goku with power pole instead.
Yeah, this is about half of it.

The other half is the wider American fandom's perception that it's the optional comedy prequel of generally lesser quality, with dated music, and it looks old.
In other words, the people who watched the first episode or two, then decided they didn't like it because not enough fighting, no Faulconer, the artstyle was still the sort of proto version of Maeda's early work(Remember Goku's face bump?), and it's too comedically-focused, and never bothered to go any further.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 pm

I wonder if those that complain about the comedy (why is comedy a bad thing?) have to say about the Z dub's comedic offerings.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:08 pm

I've tried to get my cousins (who enjoy Super and DBZA) into it, but they just won't.

Even though I came into the original Dragon Ball a little late, I still enjoyed it. Granted, I also enjoy Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki, and other series from that same time frame.

For me, the action is an added bonus, but its always been the comedy that draws me to various series and franchises.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:14 pm

I think Z fans should at least try the Daimao and 23rd TB arcs as those are the most Z-like, particularly the latter since everyone is at a point where they match their Z incarnations (ie nobody's a kid anymore).

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:46 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Kokonoe made a good point. It lacks advertising. It's even less advertised than GT and it's a real definition of what DB is.

I think people shoud give Dragon Ball a chance. If they truly like characters like Goku, Krillin, Bulma, Roshi, etc, they should check out Dragon Ball to see how these characters first met and how much they developed as the show went on. I agree that it's sad that some people prefer fights over character development in this fandom. That explains why Gohan fans were so angry when Gohan became a scholar and stopped fighting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:49 pm

I'll never understand the vehement disinterest in watching DB. The fights in DB are a little different than DBZ, but they aren't worse. I'd argue they are better.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Because they're idiots. I hate to sound like an asshole, but that's the truth. Who in their right mind would voluntarily decide to skip out on nearly HALF of story? And on top of that, debatably, the better half of the story?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:02 pm

ABED wrote:I'll never understand the vehement disinterest in watching DB. The fights in DB are a little different than DBZ, but they aren't worse. I'd argue they are better.
I agree. There's a lot less beam spamming and more of an emphasis on something resembling (traditional, thank you Kunzait) martial arts, which tend to be more interesting as far as how Dragon Ball executes it. There's more emphasis on fighting style and technique rather than how much ki you have left, meaning that if an opponent has, say, more stamina, or a really overpowering move, they can beat you, rather than "his ki is off the charts!!". The stakes are also low enough that certain elements can also determine the outcome, such as having a Dragon Ball in your chest pocket or having your face saved from being smashed in by a rock thanks to a mouse.

Luckily this more management style of fighting does permeate into Z with the Saiyan Saga, which I think is why many fans rank that one highly; even though the Vegeta fight features little emphasis on your fighting technique, the sheer management and battle tactics required to beat him were just gripping. Starting with Namek this starts to disappear into a general "Ki Top Trumps" approach where how you use/manage your key is the ki to winning a fight (:lol:).

In Dragon Ball there's also more of an emphasis on fun and adventure with the Dragon Ball hunts, and martial arts prowess with the Tenkaichi Budokais, which is a contrast to DBZ's focus on defeating the next big villain. Dragon Ball I find tends to have a bit less focus on the fight itself and more on the adventure that led to the fight in the first place (unless there's a TB on in which case it's the whole point).

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 pm

I actually don't recall talking with anyone who had seen Z but not DB.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Z has had more popularity and more of a marketing push than the original DB, especially in the west. Even with the original airing alongside DBZ on Toonami during the later part of Z's heyday there, I guess it just didn't grab as many people. I'm sure plenty of people find the original "unnecessary", and you can certainly enjoy and understand Z without it. I would heartily disagree, of course, but the fact of the matter is that Z is universally the more popular part of the series, even in Japan.

If anyone here is on the fence about trying it out, give classic DB a shot. You'll get a bit more depth to a lot of the characters, and the later arcs will give you more of that Z-style action that you love.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:40 am

ABED wrote:I wonder if those that complain about the comedy (why is comedy a bad thing?) have to say about the Z dub's comedic offerings.
Comedy was among the best parts of DB.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:15 am

I use to be one of those people until 6 months ago. And holy crap I am kicking myself for it.

To me:

DB>DBZ~DBS

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:19 am

Why does it need promotion at all? It's the first part of the story. Does East Blue need ads separate from normal One Piece promotion for people to read it?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Why does it need promotion at all? It's the first part of the story. Does East Blue need ads separate from normal One Piece promotion for people to read it?
No, but One Piece was never split into two separate anime series with different titles (and, subsequently, two separate manga series in the states), with the latter series airing first in many places, including the US. I agree that it shouldn't need promotion, but it does, and sadly doesn't receive any. It is largely ignored by Toei, Funimation, Viz, and the wider Dragon Ball fandom, and it frustrates me to no end.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:32 am

Most "Z fans" of which OP speaks grew up with only Z in the 90s, on toonami or whatever. As such, it's a nostalgic thing and anything that doesn't fit into their very specific and altered idea of what Dragon Ball is doesn't gel with them, even if that thing is what Dragon Ball really is. It's the same principle as Pokemon's "genwunners" or the whole "Ocarina is the only good Zelda game" mentality. It's not about dealing in facts, it's a personal thing that they're just not open-minded about, possibly because it was a spot of solace in their childhood, an escape from woes, and having that altered with anything else feels like a personal insult to them.

That said, anyone new getting into the series doesn't have an excuse. To ignore the entire first half of the show you're watching, that's like starting on season three of Steven Universe, or hell, playing Metal Gear Solid 2 before 1. It's just obtuse.