Why do so many Z fans refuse to watch the original Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why do so many Z fans refuse to watch the original Dragon Ball?

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:29 pm

BWri wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The only thing that might give the pre-Raditz stuff a boost is if the newer material brought something back from it as a back deal, probably in a villain role to make people go "Holy shit! I better see where this comes from!".
They should bring back Tao with a power boost and make him a full fledged Android like #17 and #18. We see how broken #17 can get, imagine if a real martial artist like Tao had that power.

*edit* or Spike the Devilman and make him a big time ally or antihero
That sounds awful enough to be plausible.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:24 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
BWri wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The only thing that might give the pre-Raditz stuff a boost is if the newer material brought something back from it as a back deal, probably in a villain role to make people go "Holy shit! I better see where this comes from!".
They should bring back Tao with a power boost and make him a full fledged Android like #17 and #18. We see how broken #17 can get, imagine if a real martial artist like Tao had that power.

Now don't start giving the Dragon Ball room any more ideas. Send that shit off to the team in charge of (Super) Dragon Ball Heroes. They'll know what to do with it.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
BWri wrote:

Hehe, I'd just go crazy and bring everyone from DB back with a crazy power boost, cuz why not. Crane Hermit gets a power boost, and Popo, and Murasaki, and Upa. Just go crazy with it. We now pandering now lol. Bring young Roshi from an alternate past and give him god ki. Why not at this point?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm

BWri wrote:Hehe, I'd just go crazy and bring everyone from DB back with a crazy power boost, cuz why not. Crane Hermit gets a power boost, and Popo, and Murasaki, and Upa. Just go crazy with it. We now pandering now lol. Bring young Roshi from an alternate past and give him god ki. Why not at this point?
The only guy I can see coming back and it not being absolutely dreadful is Daimao, you could probably do something with him and Piccolo but that would mean Piccolo being more than Gohan's Robin.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Because it's honestly pretty bland and uneventful compared to Z? It also lacks all the kinetic action and fights the latter had. There's just so much talking and uninteresting character development in a franchise that's suppsoed to be about crazy big fights, etc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:27 pm

MrTennek wrote:Because it's honestly pretty bland and uneventful compared to Z? It also lacks all the kinetic action and fights the latter had. There's just so much talking and uninteresting character development in a franchise that's suppsoed to be about crazy big fights, etc.
How is it uneventful? There are plenty of fights and I don't know if I've ever seen someone knock the idea of character development. A bunch of fighting devoid of character is boring. The Freeza fight is long as is, but if there were no interesting characters, that fight would be unbearable. And the ratio of action to dialog is probably about the same. One big point in the positive column is DB's arcs weren't nearly as long.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:33 pm

MrTennek wrote:Because it's honestly pretty bland and uneventful compared to Z? It also lacks all the kinetic action and fights the latter had. There's just so much talking and uninteresting character development in a franchise that's suppsoed to be about crazy big fights, etc.
There's plenty of big fights also almost every character goes through major character development, especially Goku.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Because they're idiots. I hate to sound like an asshole, but that's the truth. Who in their right mind would voluntarily decide to skip out on nearly HALF of story? And on top of that, debatably, the better half of the story?
They're idiots for not preferring something? Yeah that does make you an asshole, no offense.
No they're idiots for being willfully ignorant for only wanting to see half of a story. This thread isn't about people who prefer the "Z" portion, this is about the people who refuse to see the first half of the series, as the the title of the thread indicates.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:44 pm

BWri wrote:
That would have been plausible before the Buu Saga I feel, but now in the post-BoG world it doesn't really work.

I'd love to see a short three episode series of Tao and Murasaki teaming up like a Buddy Cop movie though, that'd be HILARIOUS. Maybe by the Yamcha Manga guy?

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Son Gara wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Because they're idiots. I hate to sound like an asshole, but that's the truth. Who in their right mind would voluntarily decide to skip out on nearly HALF of story? And on top of that, debatably, the better half of the story?
They're idiots for not preferring something? Yeah that does make you an asshole, no offense.
No they're idiots for being willfully ignorant for only wanting to see half of a story. This thread isn't about people who prefer the "Z" portion, this is about the people who refuse to see the first half of the series, as the the title of the thread indicates.
No one is a idiot if they choose not to watch something. Just because you feel passionate about the original Dragon Ball doesn't mean others have to care. It doesn't make them "idiots" and that's just being way too emotionally invested into a fictional story.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:02 am

Robo4900 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Sure. And if they refuse to try for a broader understanding of the franchise, that's their loss, and I'm not going to try to push against a brick wall with someone like that. I'm sure it'd be very interesting to discuss with them why they think like that, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...

It is still mildly annoying, though.
I understand what you mean man. I try to tell them to watch Dragon Ball but they like just watching only Z. Though since Super has come out, people have started to watch Dragon Ball to understand the references Super make about the past.
I hope that's happening. And with Super's hiatus, most fans would have at least 20 minutes a week free in which they're not watching Super, so surely now is the perfect time for OG DB to have a massive boost in popularity in the USA?
I'm honestly quite surprised Funi haven't been pushing this in marketing.
They have using their Twitter account.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 am

KBABZ wrote:
BWri wrote:
That would have been plausible before the Buu Saga I feel, but now in the post-BoG world it doesn't really work.

I'd love to see a short three episode series of Tao and Murasaki teaming up like a Buddy Cop movie though, that'd be HILARIOUS. Maybe by the Yamcha Manga guy?
That'd be fun! I would honestly like more content from the Dragon Ball era peeps. Something a little more grounded than the flying lazer beams and mass destruction of the latter part of the franchise. Just for a change of pace. Something comedic and mystical with fun characters would be nice.
ekrolo2 wrote:The only guy I can see coming back and it not being absolutely dreadful is Daimao, you could probably do something with him and Piccolo but that would mean Piccolo being more than Gohan's Robin.
Yeah, Daimao could be fun to bring back. Seeing how Roshi, the humans, and Piccolo fared in the ToP, I think that nearly any of the DB era fighters could get massively boosted with proper training (or an offscreen power up from Toriyama). I wish DB wasn't so power level based nowadays, so that bringing a character like Daimao back was threatening from jump.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:33 am

Kokonoe wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
Kokonoe wrote: They're idiots for not preferring something? Yeah that does make you an asshole, no offense.
No one is a idiot if they choose not to watch something. Just because you feel passionate about the original Dragon Ball doesn't mean others have to care. It doesn't make them "idiots" and that's just being way too emotionally invested into a fictional story.
Ignorance is ignorance, no matter how much you try to spin it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:53 am

BWri wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The only guy I can see coming back and it not being absolutely dreadful is Daimao, you could probably do something with him and Piccolo but that would mean Piccolo being more than Gohan's Robin.
Yeah, Daimao could be fun to bring back. Seeing how Roshi, the humans, and Piccolo fared in the ToP, I think that nearly any of the DB era fighters could get massively boosted with proper training (or an offscreen power up from Toriyama). I wish DB wasn't so power level based nowadays, so that bringing a character like Daimao back was threatening from jump.
I think that would depend on how the modern team would interpret the relationship between Daimao and Jr, because it's rather wishy-washy even in the original manga. Is Jr. a reincarnation of Daimao and thus the same character? Or is Jr. more like a son who has long since stepped away from the legacy and goals of his father? If it's the former then I can't see Daimao being considered to re-appear, outside of Piccolo expelling his evil like he did as the Nameless Namekian.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:02 am

Son Gara wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
Son Gara wrote: No they're idiots for being willfully ignorant for only wanting to see half of a story. This thread isn't about people who prefer the "Z" portion, this is about the people who refuse to see the first half of the series, as the the title of the thread indicates.
Ignorance is ignorance, no matter how much you try to spin it.
There is nothing to spin here. You claim people are idiots for refusing to watch a program for whatever reason. See, the reason doesn't matter, no one is a idiot for not wanting to watch a show or read a manga even if they are refusing to watch the first portion of this series.

To claim that is the real ignorance.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 am

It isn't a school of thought I can go along with myself.

In this day and age you can find anything for free online if you look around, even Dragon Ball.

For me, Dragon Ball is my high point of the franchise, with the Earthling cast. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Side note, I'm glad I'm now able to go Ball > Z > Super and disregard GT.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 am

There is nothing to spin here. You claim people are idiots for refusing to watch a program for whatever reason. See, the reason doesn't matter, no one is a idiot for not wanting to watch a show or read a manga even if they are refusing to watch the first portion of this series.

They aren't idiots, but why are they so adamant about not watching/reading the first third of the story? This isn't about which one is better. If you got through the whole story and prefer to watch only Z in the future, that's one thing, but for those that haven't seen DB, why not go back and see the show from the beginning? Why would any DB fan not try the first series? It seems the only reason anyone has for not going back is a misconception about that portion of the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 am

ABED wrote:

They aren't idiots, but why are they so adamant about not watching/reading the first third of the story? This isn't about which one is better. If you got through the whole story and prefer to watch only Z in the future, that's one thing, but for those that haven't seen DB, why not go back and see the show from the beginning? Why would any DB fan not try the first series? It seems the only reason anyone has for not going back is a misconception about that portion of the story.
I mean, to Kokonoe's point, there really doesn't need to be a reason. It's a cartoon show. You turn on DBZ and go, "Oh, cool," and you really don't need a reason for not going back and watching the first third of the story. Especially if it's a casual fan. If I stumbled upon season 5 of Family Guy, would anybody be so persistent in trying to get me to watch the first four seasons? If my first superhero movie was Avengers, would everyone press on me to watch Iron Man, etc.? Why is DB so different?

There's a simple, simple answer: They just don't want to. You can not agree with it or understand it, but it's the purest, simplest answer ever. Sometimes we don't need or have explanations for why we feel a certain way; they don't feel like watching DB and that's fine. Personally, I don't care what version of DB they're fans of. If you start dissecting someone's fandom based on their preference as to how they enjoy the experience, it becomes a slippery slope. If it's not "Why don't they watch Dragon Ball?" then it's "Why don't they watch the Japanese version?" then it's "Why don't they read the manga?" And on and on and on. Realistically, some fans aren't as Dragon Ball obsessed as we are -- some people just watch it as something they do when they're bored. Expecting them to sit through something that they might or might not enjoy, is really asking for too much.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
ABED wrote:

I mean, to Kokonoe's point, there really doesn't need to be a reason. It's a cartoon show. You turn on DBZ and go, "Oh, cool," and you really don't need a reason for not going back and watching the first third of the story. Especially if it's a casual fan. If I stumbled upon season 5 of Family Guy, would anybody be so persistent in trying to get me to watch the first four seasons? If my first superhero movie was Avengers, would everyone press on me to watch Iron Man, etc.? Why is DB so different?

There's a simple, simple answer: They just don't want to. You can not agree with it or understand it, but it's the purest, simplest answer ever. Sometimes we don't need or have explanations for why we feel a certain way; they don't feel like watching DB and that's fine. Personally, I don't care what version of DB they're fans of. If you start dissecting someone's fandom based on their preference as to how they enjoy the experience, it becomes a slippery slope. If it's not "Why don't they watch Dragon Ball?" then it's "Why don't they watch the Japanese version?" then it's "Why don't they read the manga?" And on and on and on. Realistically, some fans aren't as Dragon Ball obsessed as we are -- some people just watch it as something they do when they're bored. Expecting them to sit through something that they might or might not enjoy, is really asking for too much.
I understand where you're coming from, but Family Guy isn't continuity driven. Given how easy it is to go back to the beginning, why wouldn't you?

This isn't about which is better or where you start, but if given the option and the ability to go back to the beginning, why not do so?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 am

ABED wrote:This isn't about which is better or where you start, but if given the option and the ability to go back to the beginning, why not do so?
To use their reasoning, "to get to the cool part"