Funi's renaming of the Z movies have caused this issue...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Funi's renaming of the Z movies have caused this issue...

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 am

I'm all for accuracy but this is the exception where I'm very happy to see the original be changed as those titles were terrible. In terms of the new movie, I highly doubt Funimation had a crystal ball telling them there'd be a Broly movie 15 or so years down the line.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:04 am

What makes it so terribly similar to the Japanese Title this time that its "a shame that Funimation changed the names". If the name is too similar, they could always change it again.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:15 am

You think that's bad? There are three movies called Halloween, one of which is now considered a direct sequel to the original. The Rambo titles don't make much sense either.

Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan and Broly aren't nearly as confusing as the abovementioned franchises.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:07 am

ABED wrote:You think that's bad? There are three movies called Halloween, one of which is now considered a direct sequel to the original. The Rambo titles don't make much sense either.
Rocky movie titles don't make much sense also.

Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky V
Rocky Balboa

There's really no reason that the sixth flick couldn't be called "Rocky VI" because Rocky Balboa makes it seem like an alternate title of the original. Or better yet, they should have just made three Rocky films (I, II, VI) and stuck with it because the rest aren't really that good (I kinda like V unlike everyone else who hate it).

Here's hoping Creed II (aka Rocky VIII) is actually an original story rather than an average remake of the original Rocky movie (the first Creed was).
ABED wrote:Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan and Broly aren't nearly as confusing as the abovementioned franchises.
If FUNimation calls it "Broly - The Story of an Unknown Saiyan" as it is on the trailer then it could create some confusion with Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan which could create a Rocky situation.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Rocky Balboa
Lots of properties do this to make the entry feel more accessible and less intimidating to those jumping in; no "Wait do I need to watch the five previous films to get this?" effect. Star Wars has infamously done this by excising the episode numbers from the marketed titles that were in place since the Prequels; just like the original trilogy, the episode number is only noted in the opening crawl.

Of course, this can get confusing when you start trying to weasel your way into a semi-reboot-ish name. Often by using a plural ("Predators"), adding "The" to the start ("The Predator"), abusing the colloquial name (Rambo) or just plain re-using the same title again (Halloween). Dragon Ball of course uses a suffix instead, like Z, Super and Heroes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am

I think they called it Rocky Balboa because the intention was to end the series once and for all. I happen to like ALL the Rocky movies. I don't find that scheme at all confusing. Halloween and Rambo, yes. I do wish they had been more creative with the latest title, but I guess since it's under the Super banner, they think that's less confusing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.