I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:20 am

Ssjcell wrote: Most of those lines were good in context
They were terrible in context. At least "where balls are born" is funny out of context.
... Frieza was making fun of Goku who proves he wasn't gonna fall for that
That doesn't make it a good line. Why are Goku and Frieza acting like 8-year olds on the playground? Why does Goku feel the need to proclaim that he doesn't wear shoe laces?

Ally to good nightmare to you , Imo great line
Cringe speech was cringe

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

That speech was dope man agree to disagree

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:33 am

I don't see how it was dope. It's so out of character.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:44 am

Even ignoring how extremely out of character it is for Goku (and my god calling himself the hope of the universe? Could his ego get anymore inflated) its just a really cringy speech that combined with 1999 Schemmel's inability to voice act for shit...

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:02 am

I liked it and it was true

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:04 am

Majin Buu wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:You're missing my point. I never denied that the fanbase has been divisive and even sometimes outright toxic. I'm saying that those kinds of fans choose to act that way. Having different fans preferring different versions isn't inherently a bad thing. It's only a problem when a loud minority of people make it a problem by mindlessly hating on the other version and being jerks towards those who like it. I'll say this one more time; those fans choose to act that way and there's absolutely nothing forcing them too. It's perfectly possible to discuss the differences between the 2 versions without descending into madness.
In my experience, it takes a lot of effort on both sides to ensure that those discussions don't devolve into flame fests or in general create any animosity. It's an inherently divisive issue because both sides are passionate about their preferred version. My point is that most of this divisiveness wouldn't exist with a proper dub.
The fact that all those fans were able to get so much joy from watching it is more than enough to justify its existence.

The fact that dub fans continuously try to argue that replacing the score was necessary for DBZ to be a success in America says otherwise.
It really doesn't take any effort to refrain from stuff like name calling and mindless bashing. It's called not being a jerk and isn't half as difficult as people pretend. If someone has an ounce of maturity then discussing another version of the show to the one you like in a respectable manner is as easy as breathing.

Using the dub as an excuse for people being assholes is the same as the old argument that horror movies turn perfectly normal people into murderers, or the mothers who tried to get DB banned from TV because it "poisons their children with violence". In other words you're pointing the blame in the wrong place and making all kinds of excuses instead of acknowledging the root of the problem, the individuals themselves. A bad egg is a bad egg to begin with and nothing to do with the dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:59 am

It's not whether people devolve into dicks while arguing over the misconceptions created dub vs. the original, it's simply that the discussions wouldn't/shouldn't exist.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 am

90sDBZ wrote:It really doesn't take any effort to refrain from stuff like name calling and mindless bashing. It's called not being a jerk and isn't half as difficult as people pretend. If someone has an ounce of maturity then discussing another version of the show to the one you like in a respectable manner is as easy as breathing.

Using the dub as an excuse for people being assholes is the same as the old argument that horror movies turn perfectly normal people into murderers, or the mothers who tried to get DB banned from TV because it "poisons their children with violence". In other words you're pointing the blame in the wrong place and making all kinds of excuses instead of acknowledging the root of the problem, the individuals themselves. A bad egg is a bad egg to begin with and nothing to do with the dub.
Again, most of this wouldn't even be an issue with a proper dub since there would inherently be less differences between the versions to get heated about in the first place. The root cause of this divisiveness is the fact that the dub is a fundamentally different show from the original due to all the changes Funimation made to it. You seem determined to talk around this and act like it's all just people being assholes when that's just a symptom. Even when people aren't being assholes about it, at the end of the day we're still left with an American fandom that is severely fractured by being into two very different shows that happen to have the same name and same basic plot.

Even when you take the later, better dubs into account, American fans are going to be coming into them from different places depending on which version of Z they liked, which will inevitably color their perception of these later dubs, maintaining the fractured nature of the American fanbase.

And even in discussions where people aren't being outright dicks to each other, it tends to get pretty heated and can generate animosity; because again, the versions are fundamentally different and people are simply passionate about their preferred version.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:18 pm

I love it too I mean I don't get to revisit it too often cause like who has the time but the fact that it's sometimes dated tacky and cheesy is part of the charm. Even the old show still takes it's self seriously when it needs to. The Saturday morning cartoon feel of the old dub is not a bad thing in my opinion. The silliest aspect of the old dub is the crazy sounding background characters they honestly that always crack me up. I don't even see the need to bicker about it at all when there is so much variety in the releases we have to choose from. Maybe the Kai dub is objectively better but it doesn't fill the same need for those looking for a nostalgia fix.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:45 pm

ABED wrote:it's simply that the discussions wouldn't/shouldn't exist.
And why beyond your own dislike of the dub shouldn't these discussions be happening in the first place? When you take the loud minority of jerks out of the equation you're left with fans who can discuss the differences in a civil way which is totally harmless and even makes for some interesting comparison.
Majin Buu wrote:Again, most of this wouldn't even be an issue with a proper dub since there would inherently be less differences between the versions to get heated about in the first place. The root cause of this divisiveness is the fact that the dub is a fundamentally different show from the original due to all the changes Funimation made to it. You seem determined to talk around this and act like it's all just people being assholes when that's just a symptom. Even when people aren't being assholes about it, at the end of the day we're still left with an American fandom that is severely fractured by being into two very different shows that happen to have the same name and same basic plot.

Even when you take the later, better dubs into account, American fans are going to be coming into them from different places depending on which version of Z they liked, which will inevitably color their perception of these later dubs, maintaining the fractured nature of the American fanbase.

And even in discussions where people aren't being outright dicks to each other, it tends to get pretty heated and can generate animosity; because again, the versions are fundamentally different and people are simply passionate about their preferred version.
Now you're essentially saying that anything that causes controversy shouldn't exist because it might upset a few people on the internet and "force" them to treat eachother in a way they wouldn't dream of doing beyond their keyboard. The reality is that there will always be disagreements on the internet and in the real world, and quite frankly it would be boring if it wasn't that way.

I mean could you imagine a world where we all agreed on every little thing, all liked the same thing, and debate was totally unheard of? We would literally run out of stuff to talk about.

If a person truly can't cope with the idea of someone else disagreeing with them then maybe the internet isn't the best place for them to be.

At the end of the day the fans who choose to act like 12 year olds arguing on the playground are only a minority, and in my book that doesn't outweigh the joy the millions of fans got watching the old dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:44 pm

It shouldn't exist because the dub as it exists is god awful. They should've done a high quality dub with an accurate script, original music, and experienced voice actors. Whatever misconceptions about the characterizations shouldn't be because the adaptation altered the characters personalities.

It's tiresome to hear misconceptions created due to artificial reasons. For instance, whether Goku is a superhero. Hell, it's bad enough that Toei's splitting of DB in two lead to a misconception that DB and DBZ are so vastly different. Now we get people claiming it's so different that a radically different score is neccessary.

It's one thing if any misconceptions occur because people see the same thing and reach a different conclusion. That's unavoidable and happens all the time. But misconceptions like Freeza and Goku's characterizations or even entire plot points can be easily avoided by sticking close to the source material.

Having a somewhat interesting discussion about the merits of the dub aren't worth the sacrifice in quality. I'd much rather have a quality dub that I enjoyed than even a civil discussion about whether Freeza is more frightening as an aristocratic dictator or a raspy old lady sounding villain that spouts non-sensical bad jokes.

It's not about agreement. It doesn't matter if we agree on whether DB or DBZ is better, but I don't like that people have been lead to believe Goku is Superman in a gi. That didn't have to happen. It was completely avoidable had the dub adhered to the original story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:56 pm

ABED wrote:It shouldn't exist because the dub as it exists is god awful. They should've done a high quality dub with an accurate script, original music, and experienced voice actors.
We sort of got that with the Pioneer/Ocean dub of the 3 movies at least.
Hell, it's bad enough that Toei's splitting of DB in two lead to a misconception that DB and DBZ are so vastly different. Now we get people claiming it's so different that a radically different score is necessary
This makes me wonder what Funimation would have done had there not been the Z split and it was all just “Dragon Ball”’for 444 episodes. Would they have deemed the show a failure and given up on it after the first 13? Would they have kept trucking through? Would they have skipped to the Saiyan saga anyways or just to something more action pack-y like the Red Ribbon army saga or the Piccolo Daimou saga?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:06 pm

They did something similar with GT by releasing it starting with episode 17. Even with DB, the order of the DVDs went from the first 1/3 of the Red Ribbon Army arc to the King Piccolo arc. So there's precedent for your hypothetical scenario.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:48 am

ABED wrote:It shouldn't exist because the dub as it exists is god awful. They should've done a high quality dub with an accurate script, original music, and experienced voice actors. Whatever misconceptions about the characterizations shouldn't be because the adaptation altered the characters personalities.

It's tiresome to hear misconceptions created due to artificial reasons. For instance, whether Goku is a superhero. Hell, it's bad enough that Toei's splitting of DB in two lead to a misconception that DB and DBZ are so vastly different. Now we get people claiming it's so different that a radically different score is neccessary.

It's one thing if any misconceptions occur because people see the same thing and reach a different conclusion. That's unavoidable and happens all the time. But misconceptions like Freeza and Goku's characterizations or even entire plot points can be easily avoided by sticking close to the source material.

Having a somewhat interesting discussion about the merits of the dub aren't worth the sacrifice in quality. I'd much rather have a quality dub that I enjoyed than even a civil discussion about whether Freeza is more frightening as an aristocratic dictator or a raspy old lady sounding villain that spouts non-sensical bad jokes.

It's not about agreement. It doesn't matter if we agree on whether DB or DBZ is better, but I don't like that people have been lead to believe Goku is Superman in a gi. That didn't have to happen. It was completely avoidable had the dub adhered to the original story.
But all of these points are still your personal pet peeves and don't answer the question whether the fanbase as a whole would be better off if the dub never existed. "Issues" such as people seeing Goku as a superhero are only issues to a select minority of fans. Those who still watch the dub to this day are fine with it and even like it. When a dub fan and sub fan happen to discuss Goku's character all that's needed is "Oh he was different in the original? That's interesting I might check it out sometime". Problem solved.

I really don't think something millions of people have enjoyed should be removed from existence just because a select few don't approve of it. I say live and let live.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:19 am

Problem solved.
Oh if only that were so. What would also have solved the problem is not making him into a superhero to begin with. The fanbase and DB itself is better off when the story is what it is and not forced to be something else.
I really don't think something millions of people have enjoyed should be removed from existence just because a select few don't approve of it. I say live and let live.
Are you implying that people wouldn't have enjoyed an accurate dub just as much? What exactly are you trying to get from this conversation? The popularity of the dub isn't due to the dub, it's a testament to Dragon Ball. There is no damn way anyone could possibly truly believe that an objectively shoddily and cheaply produced dub would've been anyone's preference ex ante.

I'm talking about a world where the crappy dub we got never existed. You can't miss what was never there.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:31 am

90sDBZ wrote:[.

. When a dub fan and sub fan happen to discuss Goku's character all that's needed is "Oh he was different in the original? That's interesting I might check it out sometime". Problem solved.
Too bad it’s more like

Dubbie: Sean Schemmel is the one true Goku! Can’t stand watching the sub he’s voiced by a woman!

Purist: The dub sucks. It misses the point of Goku. He’s not Superman

*dubbie and purist precede to call each other names*
I don’t think anyone, even Abed, is arguing for it to be removed from existence. It exist. It’s not going away.

The argument is it never should have existed in the first place.

Kind of like saying the live action Last Bender movie should have never existed

I do want to add while I agree with the fundamentals on what Abed is saying (they should have done a faithful dub from the beginning) I do enjoy the FuniSabanOcean dub for what it is in spite of it’s heavy heavy flaws.

I would have less of a personal problem with the in-house Z dub doing it’s on thing if it wasn’t terrible by its own merits imo.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:48 am

I do want to add while I agree with the fundamentals on what Abed is saying (they should have done a faithful dub from the beginning) I do enjoy the FuniSabanOcean dub for what it is in spite of it’s heavy heavy flaws.
We're in complete agreement. I also enjoy the Ocean dub in spite of its flaws.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:46 am

90sDBZ wrote:Now you're essentially saying that anything that causes controversy shouldn't exist because it might upset a few people on the internet and "force" them to treat eachother in a way they wouldn't dream of doing beyond their keyboard. The reality is that there will always be disagreements on the internet and in the real world, and quite frankly it would be boring if it wasn't that way.

I mean could you imagine a world where we all agreed on every little thing, all liked the same thing, and debate was totally unheard of? We would literally run out of stuff to talk about.

If a person truly can't cope with the idea of someone else disagreeing with them then maybe the internet isn't the best place for them to be.

At the end of the day the fans who choose to act like 12 year olds arguing on the playground are only a minority, and in my book that doesn't outweigh the joy the millions of fans got watching the old dub.
Once again, you seem bound and determined to talk around the actual point I'm making in an effort to validate the dub.
But all of these points are still your personal pet peeves and don't answer the question whether the fanbase as a whole would be better off if the dub never existed.
Both Abed and I have been telling you exactly why the American fanbase would have been better off with a better dub. You just don't want to acknowledge that a lot of the divisiveness surrounding the dub is the result of the dub being so fundamentally altered from the original (when it never needed to be).

We'll have to agree to disagree since I'm just repeating myself now.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 am

ABED wrote:
Problem solved.
Oh if only that were so. What would also have solved the problem is not making him into a superhero to begin with. The fanbase and DB itself is better off when the story is what it is and not forced to be something else.
Are you implying that people wouldn't have enjoyed an accurate dub just as much? What exactly are you trying to get from this conversation? The popularity of the dub isn't due to the dub, it's a testament to Dragon Ball. There is no damn way anyone could possibly truly believe that an objectively shoddily and cheaply produced dub would've been anyone's preference ex ante.

I'm talking about a world where the crappy dub we got never existed. You can't miss what was never there.
A world where the dub was accurate from the start can only ever be speculation no matter how you argue it. We can't ever know for sure whether the changes hurt or helped the overall success. Maybe they helped it, maybe they hurt it, or maybe the difference would be negligible. The dub we got was and still is a massive success. That's an undisputable fact which is much more relevant than any speculation either side could make.

And once again you're assuming everyone's definition of quality lines up with your own. For me personally, and many others, quality and accuracy aren't mutually exclusive. No matter how you dress it up your argument boils down to "I don't like it. Anyone who enjoys it is wrong to do so, is permanently hypnotized by nostalgia, and is incapable of rational thought. It shouldn't exist."

Regarding the nostalgia argument, I pretty much said this before but unless you have psychic powers in addition to a degree in psychology, how can you honestly claim to understand the way that millions of minds work. And no "I just know" doesn't cut it. Here's a question; why are there fans who are supposedly nostalgia blinded for Faulconer yet acknowledge Kai had better acting and would be perfect with Faulconer? Are they somehow objective about voice acting but not music? And why aren't they nostalgic for the Menza/Jonson scores too? Clearly things aren't as black and white as you make them out to be.
Majin Buu wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Now you're essentially saying that anything that causes controversy shouldn't exist because it might upset a few people on the internet and "force" them to treat eachother in a way they wouldn't dream of doing beyond their keyboard. The reality is that there will always be disagreements on the internet and in the real world, and quite frankly it would be boring if it wasn't that way.

Once again, you seem bound and determined to talk around the actual point I'm making in an effort to validate the dub.
But all of these points are still your personal pet peeves and don't answer the question whether the fanbase as a whole would be better off if the dub never existed.
Both Abed and I have been telling you exactly why the American fanbase would have been better off with a better dub. You just don't want to acknowledge that a lot of the divisiveness surrounding the dub is the result of the dub being so fundamentally altered from the original (when it never needed to be).

We'll have to agree to disagree since I'm just repeating myself now.
I already addressed your point. The number of people who enjoyed and still enjoy the dub far outweighs the number who go online looking for arguments. In other words the dub taken purely as is without any speculation made more people happy than it made angry.

You can say an accurate dub would have done the same thing, and you'd be right. But you can't just sweep certain things under the rug like fans begging Funimation to rehire Faulconer for Super and claiming Kai with Faulconer would be the optimal version of Z.

We are going around in circles now, so yes we will have to agree to disagree.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 am

You keep saying the dub was a success. It was DRAGON BALL that was a success. DB has been a success everywhere no matter what was done with it. DBZ got the most cheap and slipshod dub imaginable. Cheap music, cheap (and miscast) actors, and even cheap DVD/VHS cover art. Yet, despite all that, DBZ found huge success in the US. It seems that you're trying to claim that it's a success BECAUSE of those changes. Casual fans weren't watching the dub. They watched DBZ.

It was objectively not a quality dub. It was cheap. The actors were chosen because they were inexpensive and the talent pool was incredibly small, and they were hired not for their talent but for their ability to sound like the previous cast. None of this is remotely controversial. It's very well known. I don't know if you were around back when DBZ was first airing, but fans weren't enthusiastic about the new voices when season 3 started. At some point, that changed and people DBZ fans came to love them. That leads me to believe it's nostalgia of the casual audience. It's what they grew up with.
And why aren't they nostalgic for the Menza/Jonson scores too?
They weren't there when DB was at its peak in the US.
Are they somehow objective about voice acting but not music?
I know you want to claim this is a slam dunk argument, but plenty of people are nostalgic towards the previous cast.