Watching Freeza's scenes in old DBZ filler is pretty funny now in retrospect

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Watching Freeza's scenes in old DBZ filler is pretty funny now in retrospect

Post by precita » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Now that Freeza has come back in canon and become more powerful than everyone in U7 but Goku/Vegeta, it's pretty funny looking back at Freeza's old scenes in DBZ in Hell.

From trying to team up with Cell to being beaten easily by Pikkon, and Freeza watching Goku defeat Kid Buu with the Spirit Bomb and looking annoyed/pissed at how strong Goku was...it's strangely ironic knowing he actually came back with a huge power boost. Granted the old filler scenes can't really fit in with modern canon anymore (as long as you ignore Freeza still having the cyborg half of him in Hell), but it's pretty funny when you view Super as a continuation of DBZ.

Even something like Movie 12 where Freeza comes back for 10 seconds just to be immediately killed by Gohan has a sense of irony to it now, especially with how Gohan and Freeza are in Super.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Watching Freeza's scenes in old DBZ filler is pretty funny now in retrospect

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:18 pm

I would say Gohan is as powerful as frieza now but yeah it's pretty funny he didn't like train at all in hell considering his sparing partners like cell were readily available to spar.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Watching Freeza's scenes in old DBZ filler is pretty funny now in retrospect

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:34 am

It is kind of funny when you consider where he is now. I like it too. It always seemed strange to me that the best villain in a series in which one of the core elements of the series is the strength of their characters, is a joke in terms of strength. Like you have things like "He's weaker than Freeza!" and he's just kind of a joke. It only fits for the best villain in the franchise to be an overwhelmingly powerful powerhouse that makes the previous "big bad" from DBZ, Majin Buu to be nothing

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:53 am

In hindsight...or maybe not actually because it was never a good idea, they made a mistake bringing back Frieza as they did.

He was in the Other World Tournament Saga where he was treated as a chump. He was in Fusion Reborn where he was treated as a chump. He was in GT where he was treated as a chump.

Resurrection F would have been more interesting if that had never happened. Preferably Frieza would have also never come to Earth just King Cold.

So Frieza would have actually have died on Namek and we would have never have seen him again until he was revived in the movie. Thankfully they redeemed him very well. Hopefully he isn't going to be one of those characters that other strong characters will stomp to show how strong they are which is my concern for Broly.

Frieza could end up taking Vegeta's old role.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:16 pm

precita wrote:Now that Freeza has come back in canon and become more powerful than everyone in U7 but Goku/Vegeta, it's pretty funny looking back at Freeza's old scenes in DBZ in Hell.

From trying to team up with Cell to being beaten easily by Pikkon, and Freeza watching Goku defeat Kid Buu with the Spirit Bomb and looking annoyed/pissed at how strong Goku was...it's strangely ironic knowing he actually came back with a huge power boost. Granted the old filler scenes can't really fit in with modern canon anymore (as long as you ignore Freeza still having the cyborg half of him in Hell), but it's pretty funny when you view Super as a continuation of DBZ.
Sadly, part where Freeza and others watched Kid Buu fight wasnt filler, i don't know what Kai Buu Saga creators were thinking, but they included that stupid non canon part :evil: Thats one of reasons i find Kai Buu Saga to be worst thing that came from modern Dragon Ball era
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 pm

coola wrote:
precita wrote:Now that Freeza has come back in canon and become more powerful than everyone in U7 but Goku/Vegeta, it's pretty funny looking back at Freeza's old scenes in DBZ in Hell.

Sadly, part where Freeza and others watched Kid Buu fight wasnt filler, i don't know what Kai Buu Saga creators were thinking, but they included that stupid non canon part :evil: Thats one of reasons i find Kai Buu Saga to be worst thing that came from modern Dragon Ball era
Everything in Kai is cannon to Kai. Is Kai cannon to the original manga? We may never know.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Toriyama used to treat him like that too. In the manga Freeza got one shot by a character that appeared out of nowhere.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 pm

Interesting how things have changed in most recent developments, compared to DBZ after his second killing off by Future Trunks where he would re appear by some means then immediately get pwned like about five seconds later. :lol:

I would chalk up the Other World parts and his brief appearance in Movie 12 of how he really seemed to have been reduced so greatly as a real threat, but it seems that Resurrection F was a true resurgence for him.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 pm

ZodaEX wrote:Everything in Kai is cannon to Kai.
Except that the scene in Boo Kai where Freeza, Cell, and everyone else in Hell watched Goku's fight with Boo creates a plothole. The scene has Goz and Mez talking about who Goku is when one of the two remarks "he's that guy who fell down Snake Way." That never happened in Kai, so the scene introduces a plothole.

Just Toei being Toei in how it simply doesn't give a fuck.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:00 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:Everything in Kai is cannon to Kai.
Except that the scene in Boo Kai where Freeza, Cell, and everyone else in Hell watched Goku's fight with Boo creates a plothole. The scene has Goz and Mez talking about who Goku is when one of the two remarks "he's that guy who fell down Snake Way." That never happened in Kai, so the scene introduces a plothole.

Just Toei being Toei in how it simply doesn't give a fuck.
Perhaps it is cannon that Goku fell off of snake way, but it just happened off screen?

I seem to remember a line in Battle of The Gods where Shuu or Pilaf, I forget which explains that they were turned into children because of a poorly-worded wish. We never actually got to see that happen however. By this logic does that mean it's not cannon that the Pilaf gang were de-aged just because it wasn't shown on-screen?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 am

To be honest, I'm one of those guys who sees Classic Dragon Ball and Modern Dragon Ball as two different entities.

There's just not that much I like about Modern Dragon Ball so regardless of how characters are written today, it doesn't affect how I view and see them in Classic Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball franchise in itself is still good but it was way better in its prime (the 90's). I don't see how changing Goku's hair from yellow to blue is that exciting but oh well, guess I'm an old timer.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 am

ZodaEX wrote:Perhaps it is cannon that Goku fell off of snake way, but it just happened off screen?

I seem to remember a line in Battle of The Gods where Shuu or Pilaf, I forget which explains that they were turned into children because of a poorly-worded wish. We never actually got to see that happen however. By this logic does that mean it's not cannon that the Pilaf gang were de-aged just because it wasn't shown on-screen?
I've never seen it interpreted that way. The general belief is that since it was initially filler in Z, the removal in Kai means it didn't happen. For the ogres to reference it in Boo Kai really is more of a screw up that Toei didn't care about than just an off-screen event. It is different logic than with the Pilaf gang where there is no scene of it happening to begin with, so nothing was removed to imply it didn't happen. It could also be shown sometime later.