Who are the most popular Villains really?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Who are the most popular Villains really?

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 am

This is sort of in response to the new movie bringing back another popular villain in Broly.

So let me make this as simple as I can, let's say that every Dragon Ball fan in the world got asked "Who is your favourite villain from the Dragon Ball franchise?" and then the results were tallied up, who would be the Top 5 that would be mentioned the most?

Don't include the likes of Piccolo Jr, Vegeta and Android 18, just those that are primarily known for being a villain.

Surely Frieza and Broly would be the two at the top, they not only brought them back for the newest movies but they were also used them for the 4D shows. Which one specially would be #1 I honestly couldn't say. Overall Frieza is considered the best but is he the most popular....hmmm maybe because of the Tournament of Power he would just about edge it.

So who would be the other three and in what order? Cell would be one. Buu would have to be one I imagine, I won't single out a specific form so I'll just say Buu in general and then finally...Goku Black? He's probably the most popular villain since the resurgence but I don't think he'd be as popular as the older classic ones.

I'd go with this

1. Frieza
2. Broly
3. Buu
4. Cell
5. Goku Black

Not anyone from the original Dragon Ball like King Piccolo. Definitely nobody from GT. Cooler or maybe Janemba are the next most popular movie villains and they wouldn't be in the Top 5. I don't think anyone else from Z would be in there and the only other possibility from Super would be Zamasu and he's obviously not as popular as Goku Black.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Who are the most popular Villains really?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:33 am

1. Frieza
2. Broly
3. Cell
4. Buu
5. Cooler maybe

I don't think Buu is more popular than Cell.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:48 am

Zamasu is one of the most popular villains in Dragon Ball history, perhaps coming in 3rd place behind Broly and Frieza. In fact, episode 47, which features the debut of Zamasu in the series, has the highest ratings in all of Super by far, even more than episodes 109/110/130/131. In addition, in the videogame Fighterz, which is probably the most anticipated and played Dragon Ball videogame of this year, Goku Black is one of the most popular characters and is considered to be S-tier (so he is one of the most powerful characters in the entire game), and Fused Zamasu is the most complex character by far, even having a unique flying mechanic that no other character in that videogame has.

The top 3 would definitely be 1) Frieza, 2) Broly and 3) Zamasu/Goku Black (same character).
Cell would be one
I heard that he is not very popular in Japan, so I wouldn't put him on this list.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 am

Vegeta would get second place. I know he joins the hero's team, but he still constitutes a villain during a popular point in the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:48 pm

1-Frieza
    2-Broly
      3-Goku Black
        4-Buu
          5-Cell

Grimlock
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm

In Japan, I'm pretty sure the list would be something like this:

1- Freeza.
          2- Time Breaker Bardock.
          3- Mira/Towa.
          4- Goku Black.
          5- Old Broly.

In regards to worldwide I don't know.
          We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bullza
          Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:20 pm

I believe in Japan, Buu is more popular than Cell. I don't think people really cared about Cell over there.

Maybe in the West Cell might be the more popular of the two. A lot of people really liked Goku Black but he's still relatively new.

PFM18
          Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Grimlock wrote:In Japan, I'm pretty sure the list would be something like this:

1- Freeza.
          2- Time Breaker Bardock.
          3- Mira/Towa.
          4- Goku Black.
          5- Old Broly.

In regards to worldwide I don't know.
          I doubt something that is Heroes/Xenoverse only is going to be numbers 2 and 3 in popularity

Grimlock
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:41 pm

PFM18 wrote:I doubt something that is Heroes/Xenoverse only is going to be numbers 2 and 3 in popularity
          You don't just underestimate the power of popularity, which Heroes and Xenoverse have the most.

According to Hirano, the producer of Xenoverse, Towa and Mira didn't die in XV1 because of popularity (and that includes Toriyama himself).
          We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
          Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:47 pm

I have a hard time believing newer villains are that popular in comparison to the classics. It seems mostly due to recency bias.
          The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
          Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
          Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm

ABED wrote:I have a hard time believing newer villains are that popular in comparison to the classics. It seems mostly due to recency bias.
          Yep, Zamasu/Goku Black have only been around for what...since 2016? No way are they as popular as characters who have had 20+ years of viewership through different generations of kids/adults watching Dragonball.

DBZAOTA482
          Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:21 pm

5. Piccolo Daimao
          4. Majin Boo
          3. Broly
          2. Cell
          1. Freeza
          fadeddreams5 wrote:
          DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
          Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
          jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SSJmole
          Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:37 pm

1 Freeza
          2 king Piccolo
          3 cell
          4 Buu
          5 Emperor Pilaf

I'll be honest so far new villians I've seen don't do it for me and I admit I don't like broly

Bullza
          Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Newer villains will be at a disadvantage but I wouldn't wave them off, Goku Black was very popular for about the half a year he was in the show.

It would come up short against some of the iconic villains like Cell and Buu but I wouldn't out too many of the older ones above him.

None of the villains from the original series or GT are as popular as Goku Black. No other villain from Super is as popular as Goku Black because Hit and Jiren aren't villains.

So unless you think someone else from Z is more popular or one of the villains, mainly Cooler or Janemba then there ain't many more options.

Vijay
          Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Frieza

Broly

Cell

Majin Boo

Black/Zamasu

These are my thoughts

Jackalope89
          Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:31 pm

1. Freeza. Even before his return in the films, he was always thought of as Goku's arch-nemesis (even by "filthy casuals").
          2. Broly. His third film was awful, and lost what personality he had in the second, but his first film still sticks in people's minds decades after they first (and probably, only) time they saw it. Having a big, mean, killing machine go on a rampage and bulldoze Goku and co. is a good way to be remembered. Bad backstory or not.
          3. Cell. Not personally, but for a lot of people, they really like him.
          4. Black/Zamasu. Super's best (only true) villain, that because of him, an entire timeline was wiped out. And was a big antagonist of series favorite Future Trunks.
          5. Buu. Pink bubblegum monsters unite.

SupremeKai25
          I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:46 am

Black/Zamasu might be the "youngest" villains in the series, but the idea of an "Evil Goku" is an old one, dating back to many years before Battle of Gods. I have been seeing fan-fictions of Goku acting evil since 2003. It would not be far-fetched that Goku Black attracted around himself a very huge crowd of fans given his appearance alone (and appearances matter the most about a character). Indeed, this seems to be the case, given how the episode in which he debuts has the highest ratings in all of Super by far.

Bullza
          Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:and lost what personality he had in the second
          I can't recall anything much different. What do you mean? Wasn't he a hulking screaming unstoppable monster in that movie too?

Jackalope89
          Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Bullza wrote:
          Jackalope89 wrote:and lost what personality he had in the second
          I can't recall anything much different. What do you mean? Wasn't he a hulking screaming unstoppable monster in that movie too?
          He had a few lines outside of grunting, wordless yells, and "KAKAROT!" in the first.

Kuwabara
          Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Bullza wrote:Definitely nobody from GT.
          Why not? I've heard plenty of people in America talk up Baby, Super 17, and especially Yi Xing Long. I don't know about Japanese fans, but GT villains seemed popular enough to be brought back for Heroes.
          This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn