Chris Ayres as Cooler

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Chris Ayres as Cooler

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm

So, 6 years ago on this forum, there was a thread called "Andrew Chandler as Freeza", where someone asked if Andrew Chandler, the English voice of Cooler, would make a good Freeza. And that inspired me to a reverse topic, that I never see anyone talk about, and that is... Chris Ayres as Cooler. Do you guys think that Chris would've made a good Cooler, or are you fine with Andrew still voicing him today?
Caulifla best girl! :)

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Re: Chris Ayres as Cooler

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:05 pm

I have always been fine with Chandler voicing Cooler. The more differentiation from Freeza, the better.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 am

I think Chandler's fine as Cooler. Having more cast variation is good, as much as I adore Ryusei Nakao, he didn't need to voice every Freeza relative.

I'm picturing the alternate timeline where Chris was cast as Freeza from the beginning and everyone would've wanted Greg to play Cooler. That would've been a bad call; Greg's higher register suits Frost well, he wouldn't have made a good Cooler.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I have always been fine with Chandler voicing Cooler.

Could I BE any stronger :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 am

Andrew Chandler is perfect as Cooler. Sure, I love Ryusei Nakao as Frieza and Cooler, but that doesn't mean that Ayres needs to voice both.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

Cooler always seemed more mature than Frieza to me and so his voice should be more serious and a bit deeper.
I don't like Chris Ayres as Frieza at all, so i wouldn't like him as Cooler even more unless he used different voice for him.
Sorry, but i really prefer Linda Young as Frieza.
And honestly, i think original japanese voice doesn't fit Cooler at all.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:58 am

SSJmole wrote:

Could my brother BE any more annoying :lol:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:

Could my brother BE any more annoying :lol:
Exactly :lol: no idea why that popped in my head. However I do know it's an awesome inage.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:05 pm

We already got a voice for Cooler next to chandler. And his name is Christopher Gurrero.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Chandler is perfect for Cooler, maybe nostalgia talking, but I can't see anyone else playing him like Dameon Clarke playing Cell.

However, Ayres I feel can pull off Cooler if he had to. He has more of a serious, deep voice in his second and third form that doesn't have quite the usual eloquent tone Freeza has, that with a bit of a different direction, could pull off Cooler.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I think Chandler's fine as Cooler. Having more cast variation is good, as much as I adore Ryusei Nakao, he didn't need to voice every Freeza relative.
Basically this. It's why I'm glad they didn't go that route and have Chris play Frost as well, though I'm sure he would have been just fine, and instead got his brother Greg to play the role. The two can actually sound vaguely similar to each other at times anyway, so it worked out pretty well I'd say.

A little off topic but in that same vein, it's also what I'm hoping for if we ever actually get Episode of Bardock dubbed and released over here - while having Chris play Chilled would fit and all, I'd rather they go with someone who can turn in a similar performance but be different enough to make the character more different as well. For that I'm thinking Daman Mills, just doing a different spin on his Ayres' impression and making it it's own performance even more.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:I think Chandler's fine as Cooler. Having more cast variation is good, as much as I adore Ryusei Nakao, he didn't need to voice every Freeza relative.
Basically this. It's why I'm glad they didn't go that route and have Chris play Frost as well, though I'm sure he would have been just fine, and instead got his brother Greg to play the role. The two can actually sound vaguely similar to each other at times anyway, so it worked out pretty well I'd say.

A little off topic but in that same vein, it's also what I'm hoping for if we ever actually get Episode of Bardock dubbed and released over here - while having Chris play Chilled would fit and all, I'd rather they go with someone who can turn in a similar performance but be different enough to make the character more different as well. For that I'm thinking Daman Mills, just doing a different spin on his Ayres' impression and making it it's own performance even more.
I wouldn’t count on EoB ever getting dubbed. It’s already been officially released in the U.S. in the form of the Kinect game, and there was no English dub for it.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Andrew Chandler was always one of the better casting choices in the dub, I love the sense of menace he brings to the character in his fifth form. Maybe Ayres could match it, but Chandler's already proven himself.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Perhaps I'm misinformed but didn't Damian Mills actually voice Chilled in a fan dub of Episode of Bardock? In his YouTube days before he started getting casted in official dubs, obviously. I remember because his (or whoever it was, in any case) impression of Ayers was startlingly good.

Edit: Ah, nevermind, that was PGirts in Episode of Bardock. Move along! It's still pretty good and worth checking out tho
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler