What's the most cost effective method of purchasing Dragon Ball Z in 2018?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

What's the most cost effective method of purchasing Dragon Ball Z in 2018?

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:17 pm

I had to get rid of my Blu-Rays on a move a while back, so I only have VHS and Orange Bricks, but wanting to get the series in "HD" again but I'm wanting the Faulconer Productions OST as well. I see the series is on Amazon Prime, and I know I can rebuy the Blu-Rays but was curious if there were other methods available of watching the show? Thank you.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: What's the most cost effective method of purchasing Dragon Ball Z in 2018?

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:45 am

Your best bet, I would say, is to watch it on Amazon Prime. It should be in HD, and either be the same master as the BDs, or be the HD version of the Orange Brick masters(Which I consider less bad than the Season BDs due to the fact they don't totally destroy the texture of the drawings and the film, but this is a discussion that has played out in multiple threads over the years, so I will leave this to you to figure out).
If you don't have a Prime subscription, you could buy each season digitally on there, but it might work out more cost-effective to just get a Prime subscription for the time you're watching it for.

Only problem is, I have no idea if the Amazon Video versions of Dragon Ball are sub or dub, or if they give you any option on that front. I also am not sure if they have the original Dragon Ball series or GT on there too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 am

Robo4900 wrote:Your best bet, I would say, is to watch it on Amazon Prime. It should be in HD, and either be the same master as the BDs, or be the HD version of the Orange Brick masters(Which I consider less bad than the Season BDs due to the fact they don't totally destroy the texture of the drawings and the film, but this is a discussion that has played out in multiple threads over the years, so I will leave this to you to figure out).
If you don't have a Prime subscription, you could buy each season digitally on there, but it might work out more cost-effective to just get a Prime subscription for the time you're watching it for.

Only problem is, I have no idea if the Amazon Video versions of Dragon Ball are sub or dub, or if they give you any option on that front. I also am not sure if they have the original Dragon Ball series or GT on there too.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're saying there is a Orange Brick styled HD release? That actually very much interests me because the Blu-Ray release has very strong post processing smoothing applied which hurts the line art.

Hmm... So as long as I have a Prime subscription I can watch it all? Interesting.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:11 am

Kokonoe wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Your best bet, I would say, is to watch it on Amazon Prime. It should be in HD, and either be the same master as the BDs, or be the HD version of the Orange Brick masters(Which I consider less bad than the Season BDs due to the fact they don't totally destroy the texture of the drawings and the film, but this is a discussion that has played out in multiple threads over the years, so I will leave this to you to figure out).

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're saying there is a Orange Brick styled HD release? That actually very much interests me because the Blu-Ray release has very strong post processing smoothing applied which hurts the line art.

Hmm... So as long as I have a Prime subscription I can watch it all? Interesting.
No, there is not. But both are probably based on the same transfer.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:38 am

Kokonoe wrote:I had to get rid of my Blu-Rays on a move a while back, so I only have VHS and Orange Bricks, but wanting to get the series in "HD" again but I'm wanting the Faulconer Productions OST as well. I see the series is on Amazon Prime, and I know I can rebuy the Blu-Rays but was curious if there were other methods available of watching the show? Thank you.
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that all streamed versions of Z are the dub with Kikuchi, with no option for Faulconer. I would probably go with the Blu-rays. I was strongly considering getting them myself a few months back and even made a topic about it, but I opted to finish collecting the old singles first instead. I'm sure I'll still get the Blu-rays someday as the majority of people online say they're better than the Bricks.

There was a complete series 1-9 Blu-ray boxset being sold on Amazon.com on and off for a really good price but it seems to have sold out. Maybe keep an eye out for it on Ebay as some people do sell it every now and then.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:01 pm

sangofe wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're saying there is a Orange Brick styled HD release? That actually very much interests me because the Blu-Ray release has very strong post processing smoothing applied which hurts the line art.
Sangofe, you are wrong.
The Orange Brick master was created in HD, and a lot of streaming services use that master instead of the Season BD master. This is somewhat well-known info. I would confirm this with screenshots, but I personally do not own the OBs, nor am I subscribed to any subscription-based streaming platforms that contain it, nor have I bought it on any digital services like Amazon Video.

Anyway, to address what Kokonoe said there, yeah, I hate the Season BD's weird line smoothing smudgy Flash cartoon filter it used. Ruins the texture of the drawings and film(Especially the background paintings, which are totally ruined!!), which I see as a much bigger no-no than the issues the OBs had that the BDs fixed(Which doesn't amount to all that much, and stops really being a thing after the first few seasons).
But yes, the OB master does exist in HD, and some number of streaming services use it. In fact, I'm pretty sure most -- if not all -- services use it, but I've never been able to look into it and confirm this myself. But, from what others tell me, and from research others have carried out, it seems that this is in fact the case.
Kokonoe wrote:Hmm... So as long as I have a Prime subscription I can watch it all? Interesting.
I presumed that by "I see the series is on Amazon Prime", you mean it's on Amazon Video with the "Prime" banner over it. If it has the "Prime" banner, then it comes free with Prime, otherwise you will indeed have to buy it season-by-season.
Honestly, Amazon's pricing for this stuff is pretty good, though.
90sDBZ wrote:Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that all streamed versions of Z are the dub with Kikuchi, with no option for Faulconer. I would probably go with the Blu-rays. I was strongly considering getting them myself a few months back and even made a topic about it, but I opted to finish collecting the old singles first instead. I'm sure I'll still get the Blu-rays someday as the majority of people online say they're better than the Bricks.

There was a complete series 1-9 Blu-ray boxset being sold on Amazon.com on and off for a really good price but it seems to have sold out. Maybe keep an eye out for it on Ebay as some people do sell it every now and then.
As far as the singles are concerned: If the version of the show you want is the dub with the Faulconer score, the original DVD singles are far and away the absolute best release for you to buy. They're reasonably affordable, they're 4:3, they contain that dub, they also contain the show subtitled, they don't have any of the really bad redubs or mixing errors from the later DVDs... They're good DVDs, Bront. Only issue is that you'll have to figure out some other solution for episodes 1-67, unless you're okay with the Saban dub for those(Which, for the OG run including the original Funi dub with the Faulconer music is kind of the intended viewing experience, so... Y'know, worth considering).

As for the BDs and whether they're better than the OBs, just because most people say they're better doesn't mean they are in fact better(See also: Most people you encounter online will say Dragon Ball is better dubbed, most people you encounter online will tell you OG Dragon Ball is just an optional comedy prequel to Z, and most people you encounter online will probably tell you the Ocean dubs sucked and are unwatchable). It's a trade-off, but really neither release is really any better or worse than the other, they're just as bad. Honestly, if you have to get one of those two I think you're better off trying to get the OBs cheap at a second-hand store or something, since that'll be the cheapest way to get it. And really, if you already own the OBs, you gain absolutely nothing by getting the BDs.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:14 pm

I think most streaming services don't use the Faulconer/Johnson score. It's the original Japanese score. I think FUNimationNOW has an option for Faulconer, but I'm not sure. And by the sounds of it it's in HD I guess? Easy enough to check I suppose.

Otherwise, if you want the Faulconer score with HD DBZ you'll need the blu rays again. No way around it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Forte224 wrote:I think most streaming services don't use the Faulconer/Johnson score. It's the original Japanese score. I think FUNimationNOW has an option for Faulconer, but I'm not sure. And by the sounds of it it's in HD I guess? Easy enough to check I suppose.

Otherwise, if you want the Faulconer score with HD DBZ you'll need the blu rays again. No way around it.
I think FuniNow has options for dub and sub, not sure if it includes the Faulconer score option too.

All the streaming services I'm aware of do HD, and they use the Orange Brick master.

To be honest though, because of how low the detail level is on the OBs and the BDs, if you have to go with a physical option, you're better off trying to get some cheap deals for the OBs instead.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're saying there is a Orange Brick styled HD release? That actually very much interests me because the Blu-Ray release has very strong post processing smoothing applied which hurts the line art.
Sangofe, you are wrong.
The Orange Brick master was created in HD, and a lot of streaming services use that master instead of the Season BD master. This is somewhat well-known info. I would confirm this with screenshots, but I personally do not own the OBs, nor am I subscribed to any subscription-based streaming platforms that contain it, nor have I bought it on any digital services like Amazon Video.
Are you serious? There are two versions of DBZ in HD wide screen available looking differently? And they're not from the same "remaster"? I'd love screen shot comparisons.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I think most streaming services don't use the Faulconer/Johnson score. It's the original Japanese score. I think FUNimationNOW has an option for Faulconer, but I'm not sure. And by the sounds of it it's in HD I guess? Easy enough to check I suppose.

1. I think FuniNow has options for dub and sub, not sure if it includes the Faulconer score option too.

2. Yep, it's always HD. Orange Brick master.

3. To be honest, because of how low the detail level is on the OBs and the BDs, if you have to go with a physical option, you're better off trying to get some cheap deals for the OBs instead.
Yeah but he says he has the OBs. He just wants HD+Faulconer score. And while the blu rays aren't good at all, they are technically HD. I'm just giving him his options based on his qualifiers.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Forte224 wrote:Yeah but he says he has the OBs. He just wants HD+Faulconer score. And while the blu rays aren't good at all, they are technically HD. I'm just giving him his options based on his qualifiers.
Sure, but if someone is asking for HD, yet their only option for HD would give them something worse than what they already have as far as I'm aware, then my philosophy is that I should always be truthful and inform them of the situation before giving them the option that, as far as I'm aware, would be worse. If someone is asking for a shovel to paddle their boat with, it's better to tell them that they might be better off with an actual paddle, and ensure they're fully aware of their options than to straight away give them the shovel they're asking for.
sangofe wrote:Are you serious? There are two versions of DBZ in HD wide screen available looking differently? And they're not from the same "remaster"? I'd love screen shot comparisons.
I'll some friends about this and see if I can get some for you.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Yeah but he already acknowledged the issues he had with the blu rays in post 3. So it didn't seem necessary. He knew there were issues that made it less favorable to him than the OBs based on this. Informing him of things he already has acknowledged wasn't necessary.

But whatever. I don't want to get petty here.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that all streamed versions of Z are the dub with Kikuchi, with no option for Faulconer. I would probably go with the Blu-rays. I was strongly considering getting them myself a few months back and even made a topic about it, but I opted to finish collecting the old singles first instead. I'm sure I'll still get the Blu-rays someday as the majority of people online say they're better than the Bricks.

As far as the singles are concerned: If the version of the show you want is the dub with the Faulconer score, the original DVD singles are far and away the absolute best release for you to buy. They're reasonably affordable, they're 4:3, they contain that dub, they also contain the show subtitled, they don't have any of the really bad redubs or mixing errors from the later DVDs... They're good DVDs, Bront. Only issue is that you'll have to figure out some other solution for episodes 1-67, unless you're okay with the Saban dub for those(Which, for the OG run including the original Funi dub with the Faulconer music is kind of the intended viewing experience, so... Y'know, worth considering).

As for the BDs and whether they're better than the OBs, just because most people say they're better doesn't mean they are in fact better(See also: Most people you encounter online will say Dragon Ball is better dubbed, most people you encounter online will tell you OG Dragon Ball is just an optional comedy prequel to Z, and most people you encounter online will probably tell you the Ocean dubs sucked and are unwatchable). It's a trade-off, but really neither release is really any better or worse than the other, they're just as bad. Honestly, if you have to get one of those two I think you're better off trying to get the OBs cheap at a second-hand store or something, since that'll be the cheapest way to get it. And really, if you already own the OBs, you gain absolutely nothing by getting the BDs.
Yeah I've actually finished collecting the singles now and am pretty happy with them. I used my RtD set for the first 2 seasons and continued with the OG Funi dub. For the first 2 seasons I'm happy to watch the Saban dub, although the option of the uncut Funi Re-dub is also nice to have. Honestly it makes me wish the Ultimate Uncuts were actually finished before the Bricks happened. Even now I'm tempted to buy them just because the cover art looks so cool, and they're in 4:3.

Apart from the Uncut Season 1-2 dub, what temps me to get the Blu-rays someday is the fact that there's so many episodes per disc, the cool boxart, and the fact that Blu-ray discs are really hard to damage so are guaranteed to last for ages.

But yeah 4:3 is the more natural way to watch Z, the unaltered Funi dub is better, and NEPs are cool to have so for now I'm happy to have the singles.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Yeah I've actually finished collecting the singles now and am pretty happy with them. I used my RtD set for the first 2 seasons and continued with the OG Funi dub. For the first 2 seasons I'm happy to watch the Saban dub, although the option of the uncut Funi Re-dub is also nice to have. Honestly it makes me wish the Ultimate Uncuts were actually finished before the Bricks happened. Even now I'm tempted to buy them just because the cover art looks so cool, and they're in 4:3.

Apart from the Uncut Season 1-2 dub, what temps me to get the Blu-rays someday is the fact that there's so many episodes per disc, the cool boxart, and the fact that Blu-ray discs are really hard to damage so are guaranteed to last for ages.

But yeah 4:3 is the more natural way to watch Z, the unaltered Funi dub is better, and NEPs are cool to have so for now I'm happy to have the singles.
I don't think you'd get any real durability boost from moving up to Blu-Ray. If you're rough enough with your discs that you need added durability to not destroy them, then moving up to Blu-Ray won't help you, unfortuantely.

Honestly, I don't think the seasons 1-2 uncut redub works with the rest of the run; the guys in season 3 started out doing impressions of the Canadian cast, and going from them circa 2005 to them circa 1999, the progression just makes it really weird. Plus, I think the Saban dub had better acting, and a much better replacement score... So, I still think if you're a dub-viewer, you're better off just sticking with the singles as-is tbh. (Though, I personally prefer to switch over to the Canadian dubs at episode 108/123 too, so strictly speaking, the singles don't quite cut it for me. :lol:)

I would never watch Dragon Ball in any format other than its original animation format. The cropping on the series is totally unacceptable for me, and while I would be okay to deal with the closed-matte movies, I prefer going with the older releases that were open-matte.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

Yeah I've actually finished collecting the singles now and am pretty happy with them. I used my RtD set for the first 2 seasons and continued with the OG Funi dub. For the first 2 seasons I'm happy to watch the Saban dub, although the option of the uncut Funi Re-dub is also nice to have. Honestly it makes me wish the Ultimate Uncuts were actually finished before the Bricks happened. Even now I'm tempted to buy them just because the cover art looks so cool, and they're in 4:3.

Who is guaranteeing you that the blu-rays will last for ages? Funimation? When and how did they tell you this? Also how do you interpret "ages"? Do you mean ages as in the Stone Age & Ice age? Or do you mean something more like the blu-rays will last for you through age 12 and 13?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:38 am

I would honestly still take the Blu-Rays over the orange bricks. The cropping is obviously a problem for both but the automated cropping on the bricks is a pain to look at, the Blu-Rays at least centre the image to a watchable standard. As for some of the finer details being completely washed out on the Blu-Rays, its much of a muchness, I personally find the skin tones and some backgrounds on the orange bricks too unnatural so that benefit over the Blu-Rays is neutralized. Although all this is very subjective, since the OP has the bricks I would say his/her best bet is to buy the Blu-Rays and decide for themself which one is better, especially because the Blu-Rays aren't much more expensive, and in some cases cheaper than the bricks.

Unfortunately I can't judge the quality of the digital versions as I only buy physical, but I have heard most of them use Kikuchi, which may explain the misconception some people seem to have about the Faulconer score being a lost rarity.
90sDBZ wrote:I was strongly considering getting them myself a few months back and even made a topic about it, but I opted to finish collecting the old singles first instead. I'm sure I'll still get the Blu-rays someday as the majority of people online say they're better than the Bricks.
I strongly advised them against this and to wait and see if TOEI remasters the series, but honestly I have strong suspicions that Manga UK may still licence the Season Blu-Rays, so maybe keep an eye out for that as I know you love to support the UK releases.
Robo4900 wrote:I don't think you'd get any real durability boost from moving up to Blu-Ray. If you're rough enough with your discs that you need added durability to not destroy them, then moving up to Blu-Ray won't help you, unfortuantely.
I like to see the durability of Blu-Ray over DVD as a means of insurance. I take good care of my discs so its never a problem but if worst comes to worst its always good to have something harder to scratch so you won't have to repurchase that title again, and unfortunately we don't live in a world where the DVD version is generally half the price of the Blu-Ray. I also feel more confident buying second hand Blu-Rays knowing that someone else has handled the disc and may have not done a good job.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: