Which Goku Is A more likable Character: Funimation Goku Or Original Japanese Goku:

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Limit-Breaking

Which Goku Is A more likable Character: Funimation Goku Or Original Japanese Goku:

Post by Limit-Breaking » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:28 am

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Now When i Ask this Question i want to make sure that everybody be respectful and just give reasons as to why the version of goku you are choosing is more likable.

Please Put aside your feelings of which version you grow up with and give actual reasons as to why you consider one of the two gokus is more likable. I'm not trying to start a controversy i just want to know which version you honestly believe is more likable if you had to choose.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE VERSION OF GOKU YOU ARE CHOOSING IS A BETTER GOKU, This is just a question to see which version of goku is a more likable version to the majority in this discussion, I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR ON THAT.

As to why i am doing this, it's mainly because i have seen people say how they love the dub goku as well as others saying they love the japanese goku. But they never really gave Actual Valid Arguments as to why. Especially when they go back and forth with each other.
So when you give your reasons PLEASE JUST GIVE ACTUAL REASONS and Don't Just say It's the one i grew up with, Give reasons as to why you feel the goku you are choosing is the more likable character and Please Just act Rational and kind to others, just let everybody voice there opinion it doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

P.S. The superman goku is really the only american looking goku picture i could find hence to why i choose it, also ignore The sailor moon character.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Which Goku Is A more likable Character: Funimation Goku Or Original Japanese Goku:

Post by Sin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 am

Original Japanese Goku, no contest. He has more depth, more flaws which are honestly shown, and more personality.

I wouldn't even put Funi Goku in a category with Superman, as modern Superman has a lot more depth to him than that would give credit to. I'm not sure about the Kai English Dub as I've not seen it, but I've not been able to watch Funi Goku for a long time because of how cheesy and bland the character is.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Which Goku Is A more likable Character: Funimation Goku Or Original Japanese Goku:

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:58 am

Japanese Goku, like Sin said, has actual depth and a consistent arc that spans the entire series.

OG Funi Goku is a bland, flat interpretation who does the source material an enormous disservice.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:18 pm

I like Funimation's (Kai/Super) Goku more cause he comes off as more mature which I think is due to the voice Sean schemmel uses as it also fits Goku's look more than Nozawa's voice and acting. It's worth noting that I prefer watching anime in English so that may have something to do with my choice as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 pm

sintzu wrote:I like Funimation's (Kai/Super) Goku more cause he comes off as more mature which I think is due to the voice Sean schemmel uses as it also fits Goku's look more than Nozawa's voice and acting. It's worth noting that I prefer watching anime in English so that may have something to do with my choice as well.
Around 5 years ago I would've agreed for pretty much the same reasons. Then I found myself having to watch in Japanese to keep up with the films/Super, it really didn't take long to adjust how i thought Goku could sound after seeing how natural it fit in Japanese. Schemmel has his moments but I just find Nozawa's Goku to be so definitive - interestingly though if I'm reading a manga panel it is in sortve a Schemmel / Nozawa hybrid.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Funimation Goku. He's a nicer guy and a more caring father/husband. Not that Japanese Goku is a jerk or anything. It's just that in a real life context you wouldn't feel as safe being around him.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Funimation Goku is probably a more likeable person, because he's kind of a diet Superman.

Japanese Goku is a much more interesting and likeable fictional character, because he's got a lot more to him; he's simply a more interesting character.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Japanese Goku. He had a better writer.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Both are great in their own way. The real question which is more likable, Japanese Super Goku or Funimation's Super Goku.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:56 am

I consider them the same character even with a few lines that are changed, everything plays out the same, the meanings behind the messages are the same outside of specific differences like Vegeta going to fly away and Goku's reason for not killing him. But even then, it's not such a deviation that I'd find it unbelievable, he loves fighting and generally doesn't like to finish off his opponents if he doesn't have to.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:04 am

There's only one original Goku - Japenese with Masako Nozawa's voice. The other one doesn't fit his character at all, but this is only my opinion, though I can understand that someone might like the English version. We are all different. So yes, I think the original is more likable because of his Saiyan's way of life. He is not a hero.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Well considering the fact Funi's Kai/Super Goku is more or less the same Goku as the Japanese one the question should be Funi DBZ/GT Goku vs original Japanese Goku (Funi original DB Goku is fine). The answer to that question would be the latter because he is more unique and less of a generic Clark Kent clone.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Well considering the fact Funi's Kai/Super Goku is more or less the same Goku as the Japanese one the question should be Funi DBZ/GT Goku vs original Japanese Goku (Funi original DB Goku is fine). The answer to that question would be the latter because he is more unique and less of a generic Clark Kent clone.
You forgot OG DB. :(
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Kokonoe wrote:I consider them the same character even with a few lines that are changed, everything plays out the same, the meanings behind the messages are the same outside of specific differences like Vegeta going to fly away and Goku's reason for not killing him. But even then, it's not such a deviation that I'd find it unbelievable, he loves fighting and generally doesn't like to finish off his opponents if he doesn't have to.
I don't know. Goku wants to kill Freeza after seeing his best friend killed, but in the OG Funi dub it is because all of a sudden Goku is a beacon of light and executor of justice, to me that is taking too many liberties with a character.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Funimation Kai Goku

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:12 am

Both pics of Goku look horrible lol.

To answer the topic: few choices

Japanese chibi & adult version of Goku is immensely likable. Was awkward at 1st, especially during screaming, high-pitch battle cries & Kamehameha sequences. It takes time to adjust & by Cell Arc, it was perfect.

Next to Nozawa, I think Ocean Dub's version I dunno the actors name...made Adulr Goku such a likable character. So cute, laid back & overall funny guy

Boo Arc & GT/Kai/Kai 2.0/Super/maybe Heroes Sean Schemmel's acting as Adult Goku was great.

Maybe in Saiyan~Frieza/Android Arc he may have gone for studios intended Supermanish portrayal. But from Boo Arc onwards, dude really upped his game & gotta say his portrayal of Goku gives an extra sense of edgyness, something I miss in Nozawa's man-child portrayal. Sean infuses him with this vibe that I'd say "world-savior". No matter how hard things might seem, Sean Schemmel's version of Goku's voice would make them all disappear.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:46 am

Sin wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I consider them the same character even with a few lines that are changed, everything plays out the same, the meanings behind the messages are the same outside of specific differences like Vegeta going to fly away and Goku's reason for not killing him. But even then, it's not such a deviation that I'd find it unbelievable, he loves fighting and generally doesn't like to finish off his opponents if he doesn't have to.
I don't know. Goku wants to kill Freeza after seeing his best friend killed, but in the OG Funi dub it is because all of a sudden Goku is a beacon of light and executor of justice, to me that is taking too many liberties with a character.
Even in the dub he still wants revenge for Krillin. There's a scene where Frieza is trying to reach 100%, King Kai is urging Goku to stop him and then Goku flips out and shouts "I will not forget what you did to my best friend Frieza! You took from him what no one had the right to take! Life!".

And Goku in the dub being a beacon of light and hope didn't just happen all of a sudden. It was 100% consistent with how he'd been portrayed in the dub since episode 1. For example the TV Ocean dub of Movie 3 had him give a long heroic speech to Turles with lines like "A man's true strength comes from the world! I won't let you take ours away for your own greed!", and "I have the power of nature on my side!" to name just 2. The beginning of his fight with Frieza also had him vow to finish him for all the people he'd killed including those he didn't even know personally like the Nameks. There was a similar speech during the Kaioken x20 scene too where Goku acknowledges he's fighting for "the future of the entire universe". Even episode 1 of the Ocean dub had him scolding Piccolo saying "I don't know why you want to rule the world. It's wrong".

If you don't like the way his character is portrayed in the dub fair enough. But that portrayal was always consistent within itself.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:55 am

90sDBZ wrote:
Sin wrote:
Even in the dub he still wants revenge for Krillin. There's a scene where Frieza is trying to reach 100%, King Kai is urging Goku to stop him and then Goku flips out and shouts "I will not forget what you did to my best friend Frieza! You took from him what no one had the right to take! Life!".

And Goku in the dub being a beacon of light and hope didn't just happen all of a sudden. It was 100% consistent with how he'd been portrayed in the dub since episode 1. For example the TV Ocean dub of Movie 3 had him give a long heroic speech to Turles with lines like "A man's true strength comes from the world! I won't let you take ours away for your own greed!", and "I have the power of nature on my side!" to name just 2. The beginning of his fight with Frieza also had him vow to finish him for all the people he'd killed including those he didn't even know personally like the Nameks. There was a similar speech during the Kaioken x20 scene too where Goku acknowledges he's fighting for the survival of the "the future of the entire universe". Even episode 1 of the Ocean dub had him scolding Piccolo saying "I don't know why you want to rule the world. It's wrong".

If you don't like the way his character is portrayed in the dub fair enough. But that portrayal was always consistent within itself.
Well my point was never that it was inconsistent with itself, so what you're saying just backs up the differences between OG Goku and Funi Goku. Though you're right in saying that he was always that way, I haven't watched the dub in a while.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Japanese Goku. He's more interesting and likable than Funimation Goku, who's just a boring Superman clone.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:46 pm

I also disagree with the notion that Goku is Superman in the dub. I never felt that at all, his actions don't even sound like Superman. I mean even his one liners about justice aren't Superman at all.

People really don't understand Superman in the Dragon Ball fanbase.