Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:44 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
professorwho wrote:ありがとうございます!
Thank you very much!
No problem

Just got Movies 3 to 6
It also looks like it comes with laserdisc? footage as an extra
Can you post some pics of movie 6?

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 am

DHM211 wrote:Can you post some pics of movie 6?
Sure what would you like see in particular?
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:26 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
Anything really. Mainly to see if the yellow tint is gone.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 am

DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: Sure what would you like see in particular?
That is yellow to the extreme. Unless it's just the lighting but from experience, old Dragon Ball didn't really do that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am

Vegard Aune wrote:That is yellow to the extreme. Unless it's just the lighting but from experience, old Dragon Ball didn't really do that.
Agreed. Although, it's still nowhere near as bad as Kai TFC's green tint so it's doable.

Looking forward to purchase the Movies on Blu-ray if FUNimation licenses them which is likely but probably not any time soon. Everything in its time, and with patience.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
DHM211 wrote: Anything really. Mainly to see if the yellow tint is gone.
That is yellow to the extreme. Unless it's just the lighting but from experience, old Dragon Ball didn't really do that.
Its not lightning, DB movie 4, and DBZ movies 4 - 7, and 9 - 13 all need CC to some extent(some more than others).

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: Sure what would you like see in particular?
I dont know if its your screenshot but movie 6 looks like it comes with some heavy nr artifacts and i cant see any grain present unlike your previous pics
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:47 pm

jaisonas wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
DHM211 wrote: Anything really. Mainly to see if the yellow tint is gone.
I dont know if its your screenshot but movie 6 looks like it comes with some heavy nr artifacts and i cant see any grain present unlike your previous pics
Yeah I notice that too movie 5 looks funky idk almost like and upscale?(Maybe that's not right). Idk maybe it's just me I'll post some more shots later on in the day.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
jaisonas wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
Yeah I notice that too movie 5 looks funky idk almost like and upscale?(Maybe that's not right). Idk maybe it's just me I'll post some more shots later on in the day.
That doesn't sound right. Why would the other movies be rescanned and remastered, while movie 5 would be an upscale?

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:21 pm

sangofe wrote: That doesn't sound right. Why would the other movies be rescanned and remastered, while movie 5 would be an upscale?
That's why I said I wasn't sure. Movie 5 is the "worst" looking one out of the bunch so far. Something about it looks a little off. Maybe what I'm interpreting as an upscale is just DNR? Not sure, like I said I'll post some pictures of movie 5 later on today.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
sangofe wrote: That doesn't sound right. Why would the other movies be rescanned and remastered, while movie 5 would be an upscale?
That's why I said I wasn't sure. Movie 5 is the "worst" looking one out of the bunch so far. Something about it looks a little off. Maybe what I'm interpreting as an upscale is just DNR? Not sure, like I said I'll post some pictures of movie 5 later on today.
The first 3 minutes of movie 5 was scanned onto 16mm film (vs the rest of the movie which is 35mm film), and looks much softer/ grainier than the rest of the film.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:52 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
The first 3 minutes of movie 5 was scanned onto 16mm film (vs the rest of the movie which is 35mm film), and looks much softer/ grainier than the rest of the film.
Do we know why?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

sangofe wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: That's why I said I wasn't sure. Movie 5 is the "worst" looking one out of the bunch so far. Something about it looks a little off. Maybe what I'm interpreting as an upscale is just DNR? Not sure, like I said I'll post some pictures of movie 5 later on today.
Do we know why?
They were using footage from the Bardock special and probally didnt want to rescan it.

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Yeah I notice that too movie 5 looks funky idk almost like and upscale?(Maybe that's not right). Idk maybe it's just me I'll post some more shots later on in the day.
Depends. What media player are you using? VLC has some issues and actually alters the image in colour and makes banding more visible.

My friend here posted a little "guide" to making the best screenshots:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... count=2502

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:10 pm

DHM211 wrote:They were using footage from the Bardock special and probally didnt want to rescan it.
That and the fact that 16mm will ALWAYS look softer than 35mm due to the detail difference between the two film stocks, there's just no getting around that unless Toei actually retained all of the original raw elements for the Bardock special (cels for the backgrounds, characters and objects etc...) before they were shot to film which they probably didn't.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm

professorwho wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:Yeah I notice that too movie 5 looks funky idk almost like and upscale?(Maybe that's not right). Idk maybe it's just me I'll post some more shots later on in the day.
Depends. What media player are you using? VLC has some issues and actually alters the image in colour and makes banding more visible.

I was using mpc-hc

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
professorwho wrote:

I was using mpc-hc
I just checked the amazon version and your picture definetally seems softer.
Yours:
Amazon rip:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Screenshots from Movie 6 using professorwho recommended program

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 pm

These are from Movie 5, I don't think it looks as good as the other ones.