Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Did Toei actually DVNR the blu-ray release of the movies?

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm

DHM211 wrote:Did Toei actually DVNR the blu-ray release of the movies?
If screenshots from different media players are yielding similar results then it's highly possible although why they would bother to go through the trouble makes little sense since everything was already finished from the start and adding more DVNR would just add more time and money for them.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Did Toei actually DVNR the blu-ray release of the movies?
If screenshots from different media players are yielding similar results then it's highly possible although why they would bother to go through the trouble makes little sense since everything was already finished from the start and adding more DVNR would just add more time and money for them.
I would agree with you but some of his screenshots seem to have had a sharpening filter placed on them.
Blu-ray
Amazon(color corrected):

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:23 am

DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
professorwho wrote:
Depends. What media player are you using? VLC has some issues and actually alters the image in colour and makes banding more visible.

My friend here posted a little "guide" to making the best screenshots:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... count=2502
I was using mpc-hc
I just checked the amazon version and your picture definetally seems softer.
Yours:
Amazon rip:
I think the blu ray looks sharper than the Amazon one
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: I was using mpc-hc
I just checked the amazon version and your picture definetally seems softer.
Yours:
Amazon rip:
I think the blu ray looks sharper than the Amazon one
It's artifical sharpness. Here, I'll edit the amazon one the same way that toei did for the blu-ray.
Amazon Sharpened(with grain)
Amazon Sharpened(without grain)
The 2nd one looks almost exactly like the blu-ray.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 am

KBABZ wrote:Uhh, why does Goku look like he's "dropping" his Kamehameha charge??
linkdude20002001 wrote:
Kinda looks like an Angry Kamehame-Ha!

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 am

DHM211 wrote: It's artifical sharpness. Here, I'll edit the amazon one the same way that toei did for the blu-ray.
Oh I see
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 am

This is a bit worrying. Movie 5 looks like an upscale rather than a fresh transfer of a 35mm movie. And the colors and bad sharpening remind me of the buu kai quality. I hope the rest of the movies aint that bad.
The amazon rip of movie 6 isnt really grained, its more of a digital noise tbf. Though yea the bluray has been dnr'd. I dont know why toei would do this, have some movies looking great and some others looking differently. My hopes of a good series blu-ray have started disappearing.
Post more screenshots of the good movies to calm me down please :D
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 am

superrayman3 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:They were using footage from the Bardock special and probally didnt want to rescan it.
That and the fact that 16mm will ALWAYS look softer than 35mm due to the detail difference between the two film stocks, there's just no getting around that unless Toei actually retained all of the original raw elements for the Bardock special (cels for the backgrounds, characters and objects etc...) before they were shot to film which they probably didn't.
No wonder... Toei will always remain cheap...
jaisonas wrote:This is a bit worrying. Movie 5 looks like an upscale rather than a fresh transfer of a 35mm movie. And the colors and bad sharpening remind me of the buu kai quality. I hope the rest of the movies aint that bad.
The amazon rip of movie 6 isnt really grained, its more of a digital noise tbf. Though yea the bluray has been dnr'd. I dont know why toei would do this, have some movies looking great and some others looking differently. My hopes of a good series blu-ray have started disappearing.
Post more screenshots of the good movies to calm me down please :D
No, it's a scan from a 16 mm film (from the bardock special according to DHM211 here) for the last 5 minutes...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 am

So, it looks like the BDs are DNR'd and sharpened. So, the Amazon rips are actually somewhat superior. Great job, Toei. :roll:

Still, aside from Z movie 5, they're not too bad. And definitely better than Funi's releaes; while they have similar problems, it's to a far lesser extent, and without the overcontrasting, etc., and they include good audio, so It's still a solid release, just not the slice of perfection we were all hoping for. And, of course, foreign releases may end up using the Amazon masters instead of the BD masters. We'll just have to hope and see.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 am

God damn it Toei, you almost gave us a perfect DB release. All you had to do was color correct a few films for their blu-ray release and everything would have been perfect. But instead, you decided to Japanese Kai Buu saga massacre this release by DVNRing it and Sharping it.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:08 pm

I have watched just the first movie on blu ray and thought it looked fantastic. Miles better than the funi blu rays and still better than the dragon box. I have ordered the rest that are available and I'm kinda disappointed by the screenshots of movie 5 as I quite like that movie :(

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:11 pm

sangofe wrote:No wonder... Toei will always remain cheap...
Robo4900 wrote:So, it looks like the BDs are DNR'd and sharpened. So, the Amazon rips are actually somewhat superior. Great job, Toei. :roll:
DHM211 wrote:God damn it Toei, you almost gave us a perfect DB release. All you had to do was color correct a few films for their blu-ray release and everything would have been perfect. But instead, you decided to Japanese Kai Buu saga massacre this release by DVNRing it and Sharping it.
Come on, dudes. At least it's way better than FUNimation's remasters and actually looks pretty darn good so even though they kinda fucked up, it's not that bad. I'm just going to wait for FUNimation to release it with English subs on Blu-ray.

I can see why some are hoping FUNi would do a re-dub but realistically, they probably won't. Most of them dubs are OK and do its job, if anyone wants an absolute authentic experience then watch in its original Japanese audio.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:25 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
sangofe wrote:No wonder... Toei will always remain cheap...
Robo4900 wrote:So, it looks like the BDs are DNR'd and sharpened. So, the Amazon rips are actually somewhat superior. Great job, Toei. :roll:
DHM211 wrote:God damn it Toei, you almost gave us a perfect DB release. All you had to do was color correct a few films for their blu-ray release and everything would have been perfect. But instead, you decided to Japanese Kai Buu saga massacre this release by DVNRing it and Sharping it.
Come on, dudes. At least it's way better than FUNimation's remasters and actually looks pretty darn good so even though they kinda fucked up, it's not that bad. I'm just going to wait for FUNimation to release it with English subs on Blu-ray.
I'm not settling for one pile of shit that smells slightly better than the other pile of shit. If Funi released these I was gonna buy them but if Funi uses Toei's blu-ray version I won't.

At least Toei released the phenomenal version of these remasters digitally.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah it's still early, but these screenshots have killed my hype a little bit. My Dragon Boxes will do just fine. My wallet will thank me anyhow.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So, it looks like the BDs are DNR'd and sharpened. So, the Amazon rips are actually somewhat superior.
Amazon's is full of compression artifacts and macroblocking. It's not superior.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Amazon's is full of compression artifacts and macroblocking. It's not superior.
That's a given. Digital streaming services compress their content in some way so it's never as good as the retail Blu-ray release is. TOEI's DBZ Movie Blu-rays have their flaws but it's still a beautiful remaster which I'm going to rewatch so that I can see DBZ remastered properly in glorious HD.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah, I reckon whenever these get a western release I'll definitely be picking up movies 1-5, but going to wait to see how the rest turn out. Also, I urge anyone who is a fan of the Pioneer trilogy to let Sabat know we want them as additional audio tracks for the Funi release.
Robo4900 wrote:Still, aside from Z movie 5, they're not too bad. And definitely better than Funi's releaes
Lets just hope if the rumours of TOEI doing the TV series is true they'll do that justice. It'll still be hard to do a worse job of Z than Funimation did, and DB and GT seriously need a Blu-Ray release (although I'll take any remaster thats superior to any of the DVD releases due to Blu-Ray's durability).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Yeah, I reckon whenever these get a western release I'll definitely be picking up movies 1-5, but going to wait to see how the rest turn out. Also, I urge anyone who is a fan of the Pioneer trilogy to let Sabat know we want them as additional audio tracks for the Funi release.
FUNimation didn't include the Ocean Dub on the first three Double Feature movies which were on Blu-ray so seems unlikely they'll do it now, either. It'd be awesome if they did. :)
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Blu-Ray's durability).
The durability of a product depends on its owner and how he takes care of the product, or lack thereof. I've always kept my Blu-rays, DVDs and CDs in pristine condition and they work as new. If you scratch the disc and expect it to work afterwards then that's your own fault, buddy.

Yes, Blu-rays and HD-DVDs are more durable than DVDs but you also have to account how you handle it, or mishandle it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Blu-Ray's durability).
The durability of a product depends on its owner and how he takes care of the product, or lack thereof. I've always kept my Blu-rays, DVDs and CDs in pristine condition and they work as new. If you scratch the disc and expect it to work afterwards then that's your own fault, buddy.

Yes, Blu-rays and HD-DVDs are more durable than DVDs but you also have to account how you handle it, or mishandle it.
I too, keep all my Blu-Rays, DVDs and CDs in pristine condition. I'm actually the only one in my house who can do that consistently and without fail, so I keep the titles I love and my all time favourite music artists in my room. I like the durability aspect just in the unlikely event anyone else ever mishandles my discs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: