Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 am

I mean they got z and the movies on bluray before toei so maybe they'd be ok with them using it? I mean they can sneak it in the contract so toei can sign off :mrgreen:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 am

It would be funny if FUNimation purposely downgraded the quality of the OBA audio so they wouldn't get in trouble with TOEI but at the same time it'd still be better than the muffled audio. lol

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:03 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:A proper 1080p Blu-ray release is the most logical and cost-efficient choice for a TV series, even more so an animated one.
I'd say Funi can squeeze in another Blu-Ray for DBZ. When you consider their previous post-single releases there has always been an equivalent corresponding release on Blu-Ray for each DVD other than Rock the Dragon (which there probably isn't a market for) and the Dragon Boxes (which there is a market for as there are many who would like to upgrade from this).

Ultimate Uncut = Level Sets
Orange Bricks = BD Season Sets
Dragon Boxes = These new Blu-Ray remasters

I do think we will see an UHD release from Funimation at some point. When they decide to start releasing anime on the format (which is inevitable) they will probably use DBZ as the launching pad because its always been their selling trump card, and as seen with their previous releases a large number of people won't care if its badly remastered or not.
sangofe wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Chris Sabat, I think. FUNimation might need to ask TOEI permission to use that audio as it's better than the one TOEI has.
That you're right about. In fact, he has been getting audio and still is.
As far as I remember Sabat said he would hold on to the broadcast audio but couldn't make any guarantees it would be used on a home release, probably because Funimation would need TOEI's approval. Nonetheless, I do appreciate his interest, just shows how much he cares for the fandom and indeed this franchise.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 am

4k is pointless for anime. it doesnt get much better then 1080p unless you want super sharp artificial pq if that makes sense of course only if sitting range is correct. would not look good. imo even 1080p can appear to sharp for anime maybe I'm just old .

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 am

nosferatu wrote:4k is pointless for anime. it doesnt get much better then 1080p unless you want super sharp artificial pq if that makes sense of course only if sitting range is correct. would not look good. imo even 1080p can appear to sharp for anime maybe I'm just old .
Even FUNimation's DBZ cropped series on Blu-ray doesn't really look good unless you sit far away and turn off your brain from noticing all of its flaws. Despite that, it's still considered to be 'amazing' and 'the best Dragon Ball Z has ever looked' so those people would certainly end up buying a 4K Blu-ray version if FUNimation made it.

Disregard logic if it's real 4K technology or not, it's a cash-grab.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
nosferatu wrote:4k is pointless for anime. it doesnt get much better then 1080p unless you want super sharp artificial pq if that makes sense of course only if sitting range is correct. would not look good. imo even 1080p can appear to sharp for anime maybe I'm just old .
Even FUNimation's DBZ cropped series on Blu-ray doesn't really look good unless you sit far away and turn off your brain from noticing all of its flaws. Despite that, it's still considered to be 'amazing' and 'the best Dragon Ball Z has ever looked' so those people would certainly end up buying a 4K Blu-ray version if FUNimation made it.

Everythin db related is poor lazy cashcrab.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 am

Honestly that depends on the anime. In film-based anime it revolved around what film was used; 32mm like the movies will likely benefit from the bump, but 16mm film like almost the entire anime will not. For digital anime it depends on what the anime was originally rendered and produced for (in some live-action films I've worked on they were shot on 16K for future-proofing), or if that isn't the case whether the original files are around to re-render.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am

KBABZ wrote:
sangofe wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:Any way even if sabat has the audio and even if Funi wanted to used them, they can't released them without Toei approval
I wonder what would happen if Funimation'd use it without asking.
They'd probably lose the Dragon Ball license forever.
Not sure. Toei don't care about the audio.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:14 am

KBABZ wrote:
Honestly that depends on the anime. In film-based anime it revolved around what film was used; 32mm like the movies will likely benefit from the bump, but 16mm film like almost the entire anime will not. For digital anime it depends on what the anime was originally rendered and produced for (in some live-action films I've worked on they were shot on 16K for future-proofing), or if that isn't the case whether the original files are around to re-render.
DB is 16mm beside few episodes. but what i mean is resolution over drawn stuff will just not look right. it will be to "clean" for what it is. 4k is good for games and documentations, hardly see a difference in movies unless you sit in front of screen. our eyes limits are hit. if you sit far away 4k looks like 1080p or even 720p. I'm on 4k since years. but we will see there will be surely a release 4k 8k and so on since ppl think its better yet sitting 3m away from a small tv :lolno:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:15 pm

sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
sangofe wrote: I wonder what would happen if Funimation'd use it without asking.
They'd probably lose the Dragon Ball license forever.
legally speaking funi can t use any source without toei approval...i talked with someone from ab group asking if they are interested by better audios ..he told me that they don t have the right to use any source that don t have Toei approval ,so they can ask and toei can say yes but probability are almost to zero ...better luck should be having an inside Toei dragon ball department contact to ask him

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote: They'd probably lose the Dragon Ball license forever.
legally speaking funi can t use any source without toei approval...i talked with someone from ab group asking if they are interested by better audios ..he told me that they don t have the right to use any source that don t have Toei approval ,so they can ask and toei can say yes but probability are almost to zero ...better luck should be having an inside Toei dragon ball department contact to ask him
Who says the probability is almost zero? To me, that just sounds like an assumption based on how Toei has been in the past.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:24 am

why do you think toei left optical tracks to the amazon stream? they just didnt bother using it....broadcast audios are far than perfect with buzzing warning noise etc and it s not full..it mean edit for warning....audio treatment for buzzing and noise and edit for cm and cut 218 and db isnt full people keep their hope too high they don t care ...people keep buying crappy release with poor audios why the hell should they bothered with not clean and not perfect source?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 am

Well, another way to look at "not caring" is how parents handle their children (whether that's one, two, three or more). Parents generally are OK with their daughter and/or son bringing home friends, going out for parties, having a personal life, secrets and the eventual boyfriend/girlfriend but there is limit to all of it, their daughter and son need to abide by their laws as they are living under their parents roof and need to respect them and their wishes since they don't actually own the house.

So, the parent in this scenario is TOEI and the son is FUNimation.

Saying that TOEI wouldn't care is a bit of a stretch, to be honest.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:30 am

jjgp1112 wrote:DB Movie 1 comparisons:

Funi 4-Pack:

DBox:

Remaster:

Man, I’m really loving the colors on these new remasters. And funnily enough, it actually reminded me of something.

A user by the name of genjosazo8, who sadly deleted his account at some point, posted on this thread his own color corrections around more than a year ago, and it honestly looked a lot like how Toei handled it, especially for DB Movie 1.

Ex: Image
Others that he did (1 &2)

Honestly felt like pointing it out cause I find it really cool how close he was to Toei’s Remastering. And if that rumor about the original three TV series getting the proper HD treatment is true? Then I think things are going to be fine.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 am

jjgp1112 wrote:DB Movie 1 comparisons:

Funi 4-Pack:

DBox:

Remaster:
For comparison's sake, here's the Blu-ray version of FUNimation's DB Movie 01:

Despite that they darkened the footage, I'd still take this over the Widescreen version which admittedly is vastly superior but I like to see the whole picture.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:09 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:why do you think toei left optical tracks to the amazon stream?
So they can have a sales point for the bds of course.
And how does this prove your point of Toei almost certainly not allowing the audio to be used?

broadcast audios are far than perfect with buzzing warning noise etc and it s not full..it mean edit for warning.
The same goes for the picture. I can't speak for how much work either is since i know nothing about remastering of either, but why not go all out for a BD run of the shows?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:47 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

I really doubt they would. 4K hasn't exactly took the market we still have DVDs being sold. Owning a 4K TV with a 4K BD player aswell as how expensive 9 Seasons of Z will be... Z BDs did well because they were cheap and most people nowadays have the means to play BDs.

4K release of Z will probably end up making nothing more than a loss and be a flop for FUNi like how the level sets where.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I really doubt they would. 4K hasn't exactly took the market we still have DVDs being sold. Owning a 4K TV with a 4K BD player aswell as how expensive 9 Seasons of Z will be... Z BDs did well because they were cheap and most people nowadays have the means to play BDs.

4K release of Z will probably end up making nothing more than a loss and be a flop for FUNi like how the level sets where.
4K movies on iTunes are generally sold at really good prices and don't forget, FUNimation now can distribute their Dragon Ball content digitally on the platforms that they can. Microsoft (Xbox / Windows Store), Sony (PlayStation), Amazon, and iTunes. Not to leave out their own one, FUNimation Now. Of course, this isn't available if you're in UK but you can access it by using a VPN.

I've noticed on the web that a lot of people are into buying 4K movies moreso on iTunes for their low prices than on Blu-ray which would cost the price of like, say, 2-3 movies.

FUNimation should start to offer the Japanese version on Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT. I got DBZ Season 1 and it only has the English dub.

Anyway, the FUNi DBZ Blu-rays don't really look anything too good but they're still highly regarded so FUNimation could 4K it and sell it as such. They wouldn't really be losing since they know how moronic their customers are and are willing to buy it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
To counter-point this, VHSs were still offered well into the DVD era. The last major Hollywood movie released on the format was A History Of Violence in 2006, six years after the first major Hollywood movie released on DVD in the west (which was Twister). If you count globally it'd be ten years after Blade Runner released on DVD in Japan.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:54 am

KBABZ wrote:To counter-point this, VHSs were still offered well into the DVD era. The last major Hollywood movie released on the format was A History Of Violence in 2006, six years after the first major Hollywood movie released on DVD in the west (which was Twister). If you count globally it'd be ten years after Blade Runner released on DVD in Japan.
Aren't VHS releases still a thing in African and some Asian countries? I read a few years ago that still happened which surprised me.

DVD as it is right now, it's not going anywhere and it's here to stay. Blu-ray's great but many don't even care to make the jump and would rather use Netflix and the likes.