Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:57 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:What is the best way for me to get my hands on these new remasters?
Best thing to do is to wait. Toei are putting them out on Blu-Ray soon, and since some of it is being shown in American cinemas, I'd say we're not far at all from Funi doing a release using these masters.

So, best thing to do is to hang on and see what happens. If you live in the USA, you probably won't have to wait all that long for a Funi release, perhaps a year at most from the Japanese release, I'd say. Australia, it'd be a bit longer, maybe a few months after Funi. UK... You'd probably be best off importing from the USA or Australia.
HakkaiBills93 wrote:To make a definitive end at the rumor about tv special 1 HD remaster by Toei
https://www.animax.co.jp/programs/NN10001235

animax will air an HD remaster of tv special 1 HD so YES it's toei's one
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
Why does the UK suck so much? I’m currently in the Uk and I hope that they get their crap together so I can get those remasters.
Blame Manga UK, they're a shitty anime distro. Australia has Madman, Spain has Selecta Visión, Mexico has Zima, America has FUNimation, France has Kazé and Britain has.. Manga UK.

Manga UK hasn't even bothered releasing DB Movies 1-4. I guess they just forgot it exists. lol

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:It looks pretty good
Hey, Bruma rabu, can you get a screenshot of the menu screen?
Unfortunately it would have to be of my tv screen and not a capture like the pic I posted.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:15 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I got the first volume in the mail yesterday. It looks fantastic! Is there any way to take screenshots of BDs? CyberLink's PowerDVD doesn't let you. Apparently it's illegal? I lookt it up, but it seemd pretty stupid. Uhg... Both the "screen capture" button is greyd out AND the Print Screen Button is deactivated. :/

I can't tell you guys if the audio is better or worse than the Amazon Video version since I don't have that version, so here's an audio clip instead. It's the scene right after Gohan is kidnapt and Gokuh yells into the injurd Chichi's face.
https://www.4shared.com/mp3/z6ERZ3MHda/ ... _Test.html
You can take screenshots of BD footage but first you have to decrypt the files. :/

Anyway, here is an uncompressed capture of the same scene from the 1989 Laserdisc for compare and contrast purposes, for whatever that's worth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rUhTRW ... sp=sharing
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Arian wrote:Anyway, here is an uncompressed capture of the same scene from the 1989 Laserdisc for compare and contrast purposes, for whatever that's worth.

How was this captured? Laserdisc is composite video source, but if properly de-interlaced and fed through a device than can clean up a signal (like the Retro Tink- which is mainly for old video games, but works great with LD), you can get a good image. Combine with an upscaler (or program like waifu2x), and you can get results like this:
https://imgur.com/gallery/BeiFvHI

Also, to anyone who owns this, can you post a BDInfo scan if possible? Just curious what the specs are besides the LPCM Mono audio.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:33 pm

professorwho wrote:
Arian wrote:Anyway, here is an uncompressed capture of the same scene from the 1989 Laserdisc for compare and contrast purposes, for whatever that's worth.

How was this captured? Laserdisc is composite video source, but if properly de-interlaced and fed through a device than can clean up a signal (like the Retro Tink- which is mainly for old video games, but works great with LD), you can get a good image. Combine with an upscaler (or program like waifu2x), and you can get results like this:
https://imgur.com/gallery/BeiFvHI

Also, to anyone who owns this, can you post a BDInfo scan if possible? Just curious what the specs are besides the LPCM Mono audio.
A complete raw capture with AmarecTV, using the Lagarith lossless codec, played with the Pioneer HLD-X9.

I'm not into upscaling but this is not the platform to be discussing that. XP
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Arian wrote:A complete raw capture with AmarecTV, using the Lagarith lossless codec, played with the Pioneer HLD-X9.

I'm not into upscaling but this is not the platform to be discussing that. XP
Makes sense. Regardless, the capture is of high quality. The audio is certainly very good due to the LPCM source.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 pm

professorwho wrote: Also, to anyone who owns this, can you post a BDInfo scan if possible? Just curious what the specs are besides the LPCM Mono audio.
I'd be happy to do just tell me how.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
professorwho wrote: Also, to anyone who owns this, can you post a BDInfo scan if possible? Just curious what the specs are besides the LPCM Mono audio.
I'd be happy to do just tell me how.
Download this: https://www.videohelp.com/software/BDInfo

Scan one of the Blu-ray discs and copy-paste the info here.

All you need is a BD Drive really. If you don't have that, it can't be done.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 am

not sure whats up but it keeps coming up with errors.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:33 pm

I'll try it out in a bit. But in the mean time, here are scans of the cover, the disc, the advertizement, and the booklet. Sorry the quality's not the best, but at least you can see what it all looks like.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Uhh, why does Goku look like he's "dropping" his Kamehameha charge??
linkdude20002001 wrote:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Here's the BDInfo report. I got a couple different error messages, tho.
"An error occurred while scanning the stream file. The disc may be copy-protected or damaged. Do you want to continue scanning the stream files?", which I continued past.
And when I scanned for the bitrates, I got "Scan completed with errors (see report).".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Yeah I got the same errors it doesn't give any info

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:25 am

majinwarman wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:What is the best way for me to get my hands on these new remasters?
Best thing to do is to wait. Toei are putting them out on Blu-Ray soon, and since some of it is being shown in American cinemas, I'd say we're not far at all from Funi doing a release using these masters.

So, best thing to do is to hang on and see what happens. If you live in the USA, you probably won't have to wait all that long for a Funi release, perhaps a year at most from the Japanese release, I'd say. Australia, it'd be a bit longer, maybe a few months after Funi. UK... You'd probably be best off importing from the USA or Australia.
HakkaiBills93 wrote:To make a definitive end at the rumor about tv special 1 HD remaster by Toei
https://www.animax.co.jp/programs/NN10001235

animax will air an HD remaster of tv special 1 HD so YES it's toei's one
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
Why does the UK suck so much? I’m currently in the Uk and I hope that they get their crap together so I can get those remasters.
I think the problem is that, much like TFC, Manga UK waited too long to release the movies. Kai Season 4 was released in December 2015, after that they had a dry period of new Dragon Ball releases between then and Super Part 1 and the first movie double feature in October and November 2017 respectively. That dry period should have been when they released the movies and TFC.

Whether or not they get these new remasters will depend on if Madman gets them, and even then it could be years because the double features are still fresh.

That said they are currently on sale on Zavvi so I hope they sell decently for the people who just want the movies with the dub and Jap audio with subtitle options as soon as possible and so Manga can at least get a return on their investment before licensing the new remasters from Madman.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Yeah I got the same errors it doesn't give any info
Thanks, though.

You can figure out the same info via the programs Bitrate Viewer- you get a graph- and MediaInfo.

When I do a write up, I tend to do the stats like this (this is an example, the disc was Kyousougiga from Discotek):

Video:
1080i MPEG-4 AVC
29.97 fps
1.78:1 Aspect Ratio
24965 kbps AVG (mbps)
48337 kbps MAX (mbps)
27.1 GB

Audio:
Japanese LPCM 2.0 16-Bit 48kHz 1536 kbps
1.67 GB

You don't have to follow that pattern, but it shows all the key info.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Heres what i got off MPC-HC

Movie 1
Video
ID : 4
ID in the original source medi : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 41 min 16 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 26.0 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 38.9 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.524
Stream size : 7.51 GiB (87%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Original source medium : Blu-ray

Audio #2
ID : 5
ID in the original source medi : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : A_PCM/INT/LIT
Duration : 41 min 16 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 2 304 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS (1600 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size : 680 MiB (8%)
Title : Stereo
Language : Japanese
Default : Yes

Movie 2
Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medi : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 59 min 31 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 26.0 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 38.9 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.523
Stream size : 10.8 GiB (87%)
Language : English
Default : No

Audio
ID : 2
ID in the original source medi : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : A_PCM/INT/LIT
Duration : 59 min 31 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 2 304 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS (1600 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size : 981 MiB (8%)
Title : Stereo
Language : Japanese
Default : Yes

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am

So I'm guessing these blu-ray aren't cinavia protected?

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Heres what i got off MPC-HC

ありがとうございます!
Thank you very much!

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:34 pm

professorwho wrote:ありがとうございます!
Thank you very much!
No problem

Just got Movies 3 to 6
It also looks like it comes with laserdisc? footage as an extra

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:It also looks like it comes with laserdisc? footage as an extra
Huh. That's cool.