Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:30 pm

coola wrote:https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... -4/.139130 Dragon Ball The Movies Blu-ray ♯01 - #03 sales, i'd say they didnt sell too well, even compared to other old anime re releases.
Hopefully they look more at international demands more than domestic sales. The Japanese domestic sales were never huge anyway.
linkdude20002001 wrote:I got the first volume in the mail yesterday. It looks fantastic! Is there any way to take screenshots of BDs? CyberLink's PowerDVD doesn't let you. Apparently it's illegal? I lookt it up, but it seemd pretty stupid. Uhg... Both the "screen capture" button is greyd out AND the Print Screen Button is deactivated. :/

I can't tell you guys if the audio is better or worse than the Amazon Video version since I don't have that version, so here's an audio clip instead. It's the scene right after Gohan is kidnapt and Gokuh yells into the injurd Chichi's face.
https://www.4shared.com/mp3/z6ERZ3MHda/ ... _Test.html
Could you upload an uncompressed samle?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm

That sample is pretty comparable to the Dragon Box audio...which means it sounds really darn good. I'm not an audio expert, but it definitely sounds close.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 pm

It looks pretty good
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: I can't tell you guys if the audio is better or worse than the Amazon Video version since I don't have that version
I can breathe a sigh of relief - even though that is a compressed sample it's clear that they only went with the optical audio for the streaming versions.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 pm

superrayman3 wrote:Have you tried VLC media player, that might be able to take screenshots (if VLC works just make sure that no video effects/filters are enabled so the shots aren't compromised in any way when you take them, I made that mistake when I first took screenshots of the RTD footage when the set first came out and had to completely redo them).
VideoLAN? I have that, but it can’t play blu-ray. At least not legally. And I couldn’t get it to play them even WITH illegal means. Why is it so difficult to get a screenshot for product comparison? :/

sangofe wrote:Could you upload an uncompressed samle?
I don’t have a means of ripping it. In fact, I could barely get it to play. Blu-ray is a bitch. So I actually just recorded it using Audacity.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 pm

I did a A n B comparison between the DVD and Blu Rays and the blu rays sound better.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:02 am

That’s good to know. Not that I was worried. It sounded great to me, so I couldn’t imagine this being the audio from Amazon that everyone was complaining about.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 am

Bruma rabu wrote:I did a A n B comparison between the DVD and Blu Rays and the blu rays sound better.
From a scale 1 to 10, how much "better" does it sound? These flicks will be so worth rewatching for the first time ever in proper HD.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:47 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:From a scale 1 to 10, how much "better" does it sound? These flicks will be so worth rewatching for the first time ever in proper HD.
If i had to scale it id say 2 out of 10, at lest from my side. This is just like going from mp3 to flac, there is a difference but its not a huge one.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:18 am

Since the audio issue seems to have been corrected for the home-video release, I wonder if the video has been as well. I know people were displeased with the white balance.

I know I'm pretty disappointed with the box art. Nothing will ever look as good as the DB Dragon Box, tho. If they do release the TV series on BD, they'd better use the same design they did for the DVD release. I need that beautiful red box.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Since the audio issue seems to have been corrected for the home-video release, I wonder if the video has been as well. I know people were displeased with the white balance.

I know I'm pretty disappointed with the box art. Nothing will ever look as good as the DB Dragon Box, tho. If they do release the TV series on BD, they'd better use the same design they did for the DVD release. I need that beautiful red box.
Whoever is in charge of making the Blu-ray covers will make the same errors for future DB BD releases, too. TOEI Animation goes two steps forward and one step back.

Come on, I love what they do (most of it) but can't defend such atrocious covers. Okay, they'd look great if it wasn't for Blu-ray text being in bold red. Why? WHY?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:53 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Since the audio issue seems to have been corrected for the home-video release, I wonder if the video has been as well. I know people were displeased with the white balance.

Whoever is in charge of making the Blu-ray covers will make the same errors for future DB BD releases, too. TOEI Animation goes two steps forward and one step back.

Come on, I love what they do (most of it) but can't defend such atrocious covers. Okay, they'd look great if it wasn't for Blu-ray text being in bold red. Why? WHY?
I like the use of the classic manga logo, and overall I think it looks better than the Dragon Box Z covers (more accurately reflects the tone of the content, IMO). I agree on the text being red: in addition to being hard to read, why wouldn't it be blue??

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 am

KBABZ wrote:I like the use of the classic manga logo, and overall I think it looks better than the Dragon Box Z covers (more accurately reflects the tone of the content, IMO). I agree on the text being red: in addition to being hard to read, why wouldn't it be blue??
The cover designer could just use the original Blu-ray logo.
Although it's already on the case itself so mentioning "Blu-ray" twice seems excessive.

This didn't happen with the DVD version.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:31 am

Just ordered my copy there when I seen they work in all regions. Cant wait too see it in person. The cover is really bad and hurts me as a designer so I will probably display this with the spines sticking outwards. Or I may make my own box for them if I have time :lol:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:What is the best way for me to get my hands on these new remasters?
Best thing to do is to wait. Toei are putting them out on Blu-Ray soon, and since some of it is being shown in American cinemas, I'd say we're not far at all from Funi doing a release using these masters.

So, best thing to do is to hang on and see what happens. If you live in the USA, you probably won't have to wait all that long for a Funi release, perhaps a year at most from the Japanese release, I'd say. Australia, it'd be a bit longer, maybe a few months after Funi. UK... You'd probably be best off importing from the USA or Australia.
HakkaiBills93 wrote:To make a definitive end at the rumor about tv special 1 HD remaster by Toei
https://www.animax.co.jp/programs/NN10001235

animax will air an HD remaster of tv special 1 HD so YES it's toei's one
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
Why does the UK suck so much? I’m currently in the Uk and I hope that they get their crap together so I can get those remasters.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm

There werent any white balance issues with DBZ movies 1- 3, which is what this set is comprised of. We’ll have to wait until the next set to see if Toei color corrected these.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I like the use of the classic manga logo, and overall I think it looks better than the Dragon Box Z covers (more accurately reflects the tone of the content, IMO). I agree on the text being red: in addition to being hard to read, why wouldn't it be blue??
The cover designer could just use the original Blu-ray logo.
I would hate that even more than just some red text, haha.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:28 pm

DHM211 wrote:
There werent any white balance issues with DBZ movies 1- 3, which is what this set is comprised of. We’ll have to wait until the next set to see if Toei color corrected these.
all amazon movies have tint more and less strong (like in dbox where ALL episodes have Tint, here it's same for AMAZON MOVIES

and about colors japanese BD are 100% the same so don't hope it too much
only differrence remain in the audio that is better on bluray

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:It looks pretty good
Hey, Bruma rabu, can you get a screenshot of the menu screen?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 am

majinwarman wrote:Why does the UK suck so much? I’m currently in the Uk and I hope that they get their crap together so I can get those remasters.
The problem is that MangaUK sucks. They license Funi's stuff, but only sometimes, and only if they think it'll be really profitable, and often that means they only import it if Madman has imported it so it's correctly authored for PAL, and probably cheaper to license.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.