Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:43 pm

majinwarman wrote:What is the best way for me to get my hands on these new remasters?
Best thing to do is to wait. Toei are putting them out on Blu-Ray soon, and since some of it is being shown in American cinemas, I'd say we're not far at all from Funi doing a release using these masters.

So, best thing to do is to hang on and see what happens. If you live in the USA, you probably won't have to wait all that long for a Funi release, perhaps a year at most from the Japanese release, I'd say. Australia, it'd be a bit longer, maybe a few months after Funi. UK... You'd probably be best off importing from the USA or Australia.
HakkaiBills93 wrote:To make a definitive end at the rumor about tv special 1 HD remaster by Toei
https://www.animax.co.jp/programs/NN10001235

animax will air an HD remaster of tv special 1 HD so YES it's toei's one
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:15 pm

clutchins wrote:I recently watched my copy of the Sleeping Princess 2005 DVD and I must say it is definitely the best 4:3 version of the movie out there. The framerate is completely intact because this is an older transfer, but on my television the colors look pretty great and I saw few if any artifacts.
That's part of the 3 Movie Boxset, is it not? If so, I already own that so won't need to purchase it again. Here I thought it was the newer 4 Movie Pack but that was released in 2008. Back then I almost went for the 2008 release because it featured all four Dragon Ball movies but the fourth movie had better Japanese audio on the 2005 ver. and didn't really dig the thin DVD cases.

FUNimation's HD remastered version of Sleeping Princess looks beautiful but they ruined it with the damned fps problem. There's a bright side to it, it's good enough for lossless screenshots in 1080p (the Blu-ray release by Zima) so not a complete waste. ^_^

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:What is the best way for me to get my hands on these new remasters?
Best thing to do is to wait. Toei are putting them out on Blu-Ray soon, and since some of it is being shown in American cinemas, I'd say we're not far at all from Funi doing a release using these masters.

So, best thing to do is to hang on and see what happens. If you live in the USA, you probably won't have to wait all that long for a Funi release, perhaps a year at most from the Japanese release, I'd say. Australia, it'd be a bit longer, maybe a few months after Funi. UK... You'd probably be best off importing from the USA or Australia.
HakkaiBills93 wrote:To make a definitive end at the rumor about tv special 1 HD remaster by Toei
https://www.animax.co.jp/programs/NN10001235

animax will air an HD remaster of tv special 1 HD so YES it's toei's one
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
Man, I know what I want for Christmas! Can I get my wish granted?!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm

It's such a shame that the Bardock special is the only remaster not announced on Blu-ray. It's by far the one I want the most...

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:It's such a shame that the Bardock special is the only remaster not announced on Blu-ray. It's by far the one I want the most...
If the upcoming Blu-ray release does well enough (which it probably will since the movies are going to be in 1080p and sourced from the original 35mm film masters, not to mention the fact that the movies haven't had a home release in Japan since DBOX: The Movies and their DVD singles counterparts) there's a pretty good chance that the series will get the same treatment which would obviously include the specials so it might be best to just wait for the time being on the Bardock special, I just wish that Toei would quit being stubborn and include the open-matte versions of the movies as an extra option for the purists out there that prefer those versions of the movies, it never made sense to me why companies willfully choose to limit consumer options like that because the way I see it, the more options you provide to the consumer on a specific release, the more people there will be that will be more inclined to make a purchase hence more potential profit for the company in the long run and I'm pretty sure Toei remastered the open matte versions before cropping them for widescreen (this is merely an assumption on my part but makes the most sense to me) and if that's indeed the case then they really have no excuse not to include the open matte versions IMO.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:45 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:It's such a shame that the Bardock special is the only remaster not announced on Blu-ray. It's by far the one I want the most...
Give em time. Even the movie BDs aren't out yet.

Patience.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 pm

I've been wanting to grab that and the Trunks special to finish off what I consider relevant material as far as the current anime in the US is concerned (that is, DB, Kai, the two specials, the two pre-Super movies and Super itself, with a dash of GT on the side). I just hope FUNi seriously considers redubbing them before then because the samples I saw on IGN were just... awful.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:05 am

Danfun64 wrote:
jaisonas wrote:More pictures from toei's twitter
First one looks like Bardock Father of Goku
FTFY. Episode of Bardock is the one where he goes Super Saiyan.
Whoops, you're right :roll:
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 am

jaisonas wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
jaisonas wrote:More pictures from toei's twitter
First one looks like Bardock Father of Goku
FTFY. Episode of Bardock is the one where he goes Super Saiyan.
so japanese already have the bluray now and i can confirm that video seems to be the same BUT audio are the best one, they switch audio to the best ones
and they also have remastered trailers and digests

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:25 am

Toei generally consider the TV specials part of the run of the TV show, unlike Funimation.

I would say the Bardock special being remastered is the clearest sign we've had so far that a series remaster is on the cards.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:16 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
jaisonas wrote:
Danfun64 wrote: FTFY. Episode of Bardock is the one where he goes Super Saiyan.
so japanese already have the bluray now and i can confirm that video seems to be the same BUT audio are the best one, they switch audio to the best ones
So they use the DBOX audio or something superior to that, too?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 am

sangofe wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
jaisonas wrote: Whoops, you're right :roll:
they use the better audios for movies, as i only seen a compressed video somewhere from a japanese i can't said exactly the quality if superior of dragon movie box but i am pretty sure it's the same audio as dragon movie box but pcm so lossless, i just hope that it's really the best ones

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
they use the better audios for movies, as i only seen a compressed video somewhere from a japanese i can't said exactly the quality if superior of dragon movie box but i am pretty sure it's the same audio as dragon movie box but pcm so lossless, i just hope that it's really the best ones
It's unlikely to be "DBox but PCM" in a literal sense, but more likely in the same sense as the LDs are that; a fresh transfer from the original sep-mag tape reels, lossless/uncompressed on the BD. Depending on the equipment they used to transfer these sep-mags, that could actually mean the audio would be a better base transfer than the LDs or DBoxes used. :)
Either way, that's great to hear. :)

Now, I wonder if we can start a Tweeting campaign to Funimation to release these new Toei masters and use the Pioneer dubs on the first three Z movies... :)
Seriously, if anyone can help me out getting something like this going... Well... If Funi did this, we'd have a perfect release of the movies. I could die happy. :D

... Especially if Funi does what Toei are doing, and does a run of these BDs that includes the theatrical posters of the movies...!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 am

Robo4900 wrote:It's unlikely to be "DBox but PCM" in a literal sense, but more likely in the same sense as the LDs are that; a fresh transfer from the original sep-mag tape reels, lossless/uncompressed on the BD. Depending on the equipment they used to transfer these sep-mags, that could actually mean the audio would be a better base transfer than the LDs or DBoxes used. :)

Now, I wonder if we can start a Tweeting campaign to Funimation to release these new Toei masters and use the Pioneer dubs on the first three Z movies... :)
Seriously, if anyone can help me out getting something like this going... Well... If Funi did this, we'd have a perfect release of the movies. I could die happy. :D

... Especially if Funi does what Toei are doing, and does a run of these BDs that includes the theatrical posters of the movies...!
HakkaiBills93 is French so English isn't his forte, but yeah. As for the Twitter thing, FUNimation is already well aware that many want it and they're likely already working on licensing it to release it in US/Canada.

The Laser Disc audio admittedly doesn't make a huge difference from the Dragon Box one but it's still relatively superior as it's the lossless version.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:09 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:It's unlikely to be "DBox but PCM" in a literal sense, but more likely in the same sense as the LDs are that; a fresh transfer from the original sep-mag tape reels, lossless/uncompressed on the BD. Depending on the equipment they used to transfer these sep-mags, that could actually mean the audio would be a better base transfer than the LDs or DBoxes used. :)

HakkaiBills93 is French so English isn't his forte, but yeah. As for the Twitter thing, FUNimation is already well aware that many want it and they're likely already working on licensing it to release it in US/Canada.

The Laser Disc audio admittedly doesn't make a huge difference from the Dragon Box one but it's still relatively superior as it's the lossless version.
yes i am not really good in english.
New specs
audio on bluray are 48mhz 24 bits pcm and like i said it's NOT optical tracks so now the best audio ever for those movies

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:01 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

New specs
audio on bluray are 48mhz 24 bits pcm and like i said it's NOT optical tracks so now the best audio ever for those movies

In comparison, what are the specs for the movie Dragon Box?

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:31 am

This was shot in 16mm right? If so, I'm getting really excited about the potential quality of the series remastered :)
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 am

superrayman3 wrote:I just wish that Toei would quit being stubborn and include the open-matte versions of the movies as an extra option for the purists out there that prefer those versions of the movies, it never made sense to me why companies willfully choose to limit consumer options like that because the way I see it, the more options you provide to the consumer on a specific release, the more people there will be that will be more inclined to make a purchase hence more potential profit for the company in the long run
Purists tend to go for the original and intended presentation. The movies were framed with an 1.85:1 aspect ratio in mind (which is what they are going for with the Blu-rays), they were not designed to be released in open-matte (the full frame was a matter of safety). I can understand the curiosity and interest to see the full art, but that shouldn't be the primary aim of it. More options might seem like a good thing on the surface, but not only does it make the release more expensive (two discs per movie as opposed to one) but it also cheapens the work itself when you have more than one option out there, specially a version that wasn't intended or designed for. It's one thing if the director or artist wants another version out there because it better reflects his/her artistic intent. But it's another if it's a version made exclusively to indulge fan demand.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:I just wish that Toei would quit being stubborn and include the open-matte versions of the movies as an extra option for the purists out there that prefer those versions of the movies, it never made sense to me why companies willfully choose to limit consumer options like that because the way I see it, the more options you provide to the consumer on a specific release, the more people there will be that will be more inclined to make a purchase hence more potential profit for the company in the long run
Purists tend to go for the original and intended presentation. The movies were framed with an 1.85:1 aspect ratio in mind (which is what they are going for with the Blu-rays), they were not designed to be released in open-matte (the full frame was a matter of safety). I can understand the curiosity and interest to see the full art, but that shouldn't be the primary aim of it. More options might seem like a good thing on the surface, but not only does it make the release more expensive (two discs per movie as opposed to one) but it also cheapens the work itself when you have more than one option out there, specially a version that wasn't intended or designed for. It's one thing if the director or artist wants another version out there because it better reflects his/her artistic intent. But it's another if it's a version made exclusively to indulge fan demand.
Not sure how much they considered this in their production, but a 4:3 production would make it much easier to air those films on TV back when 4:3 was the norm.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 am

sangofe wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: HakkaiBills93 is French so English isn't his forte, but yeah. As for the Twitter thing, FUNimation is already well aware that many want it and they're likely already working on licensing it to release it in US/Canada.

New specs

In comparison, what are the specs for the movie Dragon Box?
ac3 448kbps 48mhz 16 bits