Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:So uh, thoughts on the odd logo they're deciding to use? It looks like something made when Photoshop was first coming out in the 90s, and isn't like any existing Dragon Ball logo I've ever seen.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

EDIT: Of course the file is called "moviesbluraytemp.png"...
Haha. It looks like they've slapped together some old '90s art and just using it a temp shot. Not a bad picture as far as temp art goes, but I get the sense each volume will have its own art based around the movies contained within.
Yeah, although I think the "Son-Go" trio shot works really well at summing up all the films in one art piece.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeSSJ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Should I buy this or wait to see if funi gets it?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:Should I buy this or wait to see if funi gets it?
It will be in Japanese with no subs. I suggest waiting.
eledoremassis02 wrote:I wonder how much better the blurays will look compared to the Netflix/amazon copies. Those look pretty good! Is there a comaprison to other titles that have both amazon/netflix and bluray releases? I'm guess they'll be a tad more detail (and hopfully DBox audio)
A streamed movie at 1080p will probably have a total filesize of somewhere between 5 and 8GB. Maybe slightly higher. A Blu-Ray movie at 1080p will be somewhere between 20 and 50GB. The quality will be a lot better.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:Should I buy this or wait to see if funi gets it?
I would say wait, personally. If FUNi gets it the shipping will be much less and will have English subtitles.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
sangofe wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Wow, the first three series might get similar treatment? Come on Toei, you bastards, cut out the middle man and give us English subtitles on these things!
It is clearly stated in the video that it's a rumour.
It's clearly stated in my post that I use the word 'might' so as to indicate that the aforementioned event is not set in stone, too.

Although admittedly I did edit my post to include that to make my post more clear it seems like you're still quoting the edited version of my post.
I would have included "So, according to a rumour Toei might..." to not lead to confusion.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:02 pm

sangofe wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
sangofe wrote:
It is clearly stated in the video that it's a rumour.
It's clearly stated in my post that I use the word 'might' so as to indicate that the aforementioned event is not set in stone, too.

Although admittedly I did edit my post to include that to make my post more clear it seems like you're still quoting the edited version of my post.
I would have included "So, according to a rumour Toei might..." to not lead to confusion.
Agreed; the "might" implies that Toei is mulling it over, not "Hey what I'm telling you may or may not be true".

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:35 pm

OK thanks, just don't wanna blow my chances on getting something special if Funi doesn't license and release it or butcher it.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:10 pm

DHM211 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:So thanks to the magic of... magic, I'm able to view this stuff too. And apparently this applies to the trailers! Below I've compared a shot from the intro a trailer used for Curse of the Blood Rubies, although another trailer for Dead Zone used a lot from the first DBZ intro (but I can't compare that one as I don't have any Dragon Box Z's). If anyone thinks OG Dragon Ball can't be remastered in HD, this proves them wrong. I particularly like how much better the newer one is able to handle the glow of the sun!

Keep in mind all these movies are on 35mm film. The first episode of Dragon Ball was released online in HD and while it looks good, it's not anywhere near this good.
[spoiler]Image

Color Corrected:
Image[/spoiler]
This is not color corrected . This is painting goku's skin purple man .

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 pm

ionutbigiu1 wrote:This is not color corrected . This is painting goku's skin purple man .
I disagree; to me Goku has an actual flesh tone, his eye whites are actually white, and yet it doesn't look like a modern grade like Kai is.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:20 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ionutbigiu1 wrote:This is not color corrected . This is painting goku's skin purple man .
I disagree; to me Goku has an actual flesh tone, his eye whites are actually white, and yet it doesn't look like a modern grade like Kai is.
Well i can surely say ..your opinion is formed on nostalgia not on any decent color comparison on different releases or broadcasts and that is fine .

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 pm

ionutbigiu1 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Well i can surely say ..your opinion is formed on nostalgia not on any decent color comparison on different releases or broadcasts and that is fine .
I grew up on the FUNi dub with the awful colour-correction, so not really?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 pm

ionutbigiu1 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:So thanks to the magic of... magic, I'm able to view this stuff too. And apparently this applies to the trailers! Below I've compared a shot from the intro a trailer used for Curse of the Blood Rubies, although another trailer for Dead Zone used a lot from the first DBZ intro (but I can't compare that one as I don't have any Dragon Box Z's). If anyone thinks OG Dragon Ball can't be remastered in HD, this proves them wrong. I particularly like how much better the newer one is able to handle the glow of the sun!

Keep in mind all these movies are on 35mm film. The first episode of Dragon Ball was released online in HD and while it looks good, it's not anywhere near this good.
[spoiler]Image

Color Corrected:
Image[/spoiler]
This is not color corrected . This is painting goku's skin purple man .
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:23 pm

DHM211 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Nice white balance!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Nice white balance!
Thanks, I'm some what of an aspiring film color grader.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

DHM211 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Nice white balance!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Well now I know what Dragon Ball would look like on a 16 colour monitor!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 pm

KBABZ wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Nice white balance!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Well now I know what Dragon Ball would look like on a 16 colour monitor!
Yep.
My fan edits put Toei to shame.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:47 pm

I still can't get over how beautiful Broly (The Legendary Super Saiyan looks)! Not only is this (possibly) the best remastered of the bunch, I think this is one of the, if not the, best looking Dragon Ball film. The cinematography here is phenomenal, and seeing it in genuine HD doesn't hurt!
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
To think I used to think Resurrection 'F' was the pinnacle of Dragon Ball cinema haha.

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:40 am

Man, if this is the start of everything getting another Dragon Box style remaster, but in HD, I'm going to be excited. If Funimation localizes this release, I'm going to be jumping up and down in joy for about a hour straight. If Funimation localizes it, AND uses the broadcast audio they have, I think my heart won't be able to take it and I will die of a heart attack.

I just really, REALLY hope Toei using the optical audio on the digital version of the movies, doesn't mean they trashed the movie Cinetapes sometime after making Dragon Box - The Movies.

Keroro1125

Post by Keroro1125 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 am

Preordered all of them on Amazon Japan last night. Hope that decision doesn't come back to bite me later on down the line if Funimation decides to release these in the US. I didn't have all the movies on blu ray anyway, so I don't mind dropping the cash on these.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:That may be true, but that's an out of print release, so it's not really comparable. This is a brand new one. Sure, the price may be ordinary for a japanese BD release, but I still find it expensive nonetheless.
No, I meant the actual retail price. I'm going off what I remember(!) seeing on CD Japan. $25 per movie is a great deal in Japan. AND this is on BD rather than DVD. I remember seeing a DVD for an OVA with only two episodes on it selling for $80. Shows, movies, and music are all expensive in Japan. This is a price I think I mite pay. No way was I gonna spend $50 per movie. I'll at least buy the first volume and decide from there.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."