Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:30 am

Dagon wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Dagon wrote:The colors and detail are still better than the funimation sets. What we can do is photoshop the censored bits back in for our own "fan works" if you know what I mean.
As far as "fan works" go, the Amazon masters are far superior to the BDs.
I was agreeing with that.
I was just saying the quality is close enough that we could put the middle fingers back in with editing and such and match the colors to the Toei versions.
Eh, you could, but there'd be no real point. Again, the Amazon masters are superior. If you're going to do any fan project, you'd be much better off taking the Amazon masters and just fixing the colour issues in the movies that need it. Less work to get a better result...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 am

Ugh.

Glad I waited before jumping in on these. The DNR nuking the background detail was bad enough but the edits are ridiculous.

It’s so sad that the definitive version is compressed streaming version.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 am

Can anyone provide a scan or photo of the back of box #6? I'm particularly looking for a scan/photo that shows this disclaimer:
この作品には、映像、台詞の一部に、現在では不適当と思われる表現もありますが、作品の歴史的価値を重視し、現存する原版のとおり収録してあります。ご了承ください。
The disclaimer should be located near the bottom of the packaging, like on box #1 above the tiny Toei Animation logo. The disclaimer basically says that the works may contain expressions that are deemed to be inappropriate in today's society, but that the works are presented as they were originally created.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:18 am

Scavenger wrote:Can anyone provide a scan or photo of the back of box #6? I'm particularly looking for a scan/photo that shows this disclaimer:
The disclaimer should be located near the bottom of the packaging, like on box #1 above the tiny Toei Animation logo. The disclaimer basically says that the works may contain expressions that are deemed to be inappropriate in today's society, but that the works are presented as they were originally created.
Which is bullshit. They are not presented as originally created.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 am

sangofe wrote:
Scavenger wrote:Can anyone provide a scan or photo of the back of box #6? I'm particularly looking for a scan/photo that shows this disclaimer:
Which is bullshit. They are not presented as originally created.
I know, which is why I want the picture.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:45 am

Its amazing how little effort they decided to pay with these. I played 5 mins with the curves to get a better result with the hue than their damned automated thing on the bluray
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:58 am

Never mind, someone tweeted the cover: https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1073923419761070080

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:13 am

Christ sake, I was willing to forgive a bit of DNR but censoring the footage? On a home release? That's an absolute joke and I'm glad I won't be giving TOEI any money for these by importing. On TV, sure you could make an excuse there but this is meant to be the definitive presentation for these movies, not a butchered version of it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:44 am

sangofe wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:Haha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Toei Animation censored parts of the movies on top of the DNR problem. Just ... WOW.
It's just sad... And makes me worried, upset and angry. What's the bloody reason?

Edit: is blood/violence censored too, or just middle fingers?
What's weird is that that's all that was censored, just those 2 scenes, at lest from what I saw. In movie 3 you still see Gohans genitals.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:31 am

Okay, I actually was about to ask if Gohan's nudity had been censored. Because I see that the DB movies are coming out next (last... :roll: ), so if middle fingers are too much all of a sudden, I can think of tons of things I would consider to be more objectionable in those, which makes me extremely worried. Geez, what a shit show this has become. Very glad I did not get these.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:31 am

WOW so not only are Toei performing censorship on some of these movies to remove offensive expressions and gestures but they're also outright LYING to the consumer about the censorship as well? Talk about blatant FALSE ADVERTISING in the truest form of the word. I seriously hope that they let a competent company (preferably a foreign company that knows what the hell it's doing) remaster the series rather than doing it in-house at Toei because it's becoming more and more clear that Toei will screw things up, from over-excessive DNR, to boosting the contrast to the point where we have crushed blacks and whites, and now to outright censorship as well, Toei just can't be trusted to give fans a faithful re-release that accurately reflects the original work as it was created which is just sad.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Side-note: what's the rating on these Blu-Rays? The equivalent of PG?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Hmm, so middle fingers are taboo in Japan now. I guess I should have gathered that much from Kai. But Kai also has certain scenes of violence toned down as well, and Super has very little blood, so I guess I was right in my post.

I'd hate to think of what they'd remove from the original series'. They'd go on this "noble" crusade to "protect the children", but then they'd leave actually offensive scenes like the one with Blue in the Slump crossover where he was a pedophile.

But then that's also a slippery slope as well anyway, because nowadays everyone detests Roshi's perversion, so would literally all of those scenes be cut as well? In addition to the violence and rude finger gesture edits? Also, some people hate the baby wieners, so those need some digital underwear to cover up.

Damn, Toei's release of the series in a few years would probably outright be like the old Saban days in terms of content alteration. It's made worse by the lying. First of all, I can't believe Dragon Ball is suddenly getting the same disclaimer like those old racists cartoons with actual offensive content, but they're also lying about preserving the "original versions". That's like if the old Saban version was touted as unaltered from the Japanese one the whole time.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 pm

To think that the Dragon Box has such extra: "A look at some of the censorship from the early episodes of American Dragon Ball. There are four small clips, each introduced in a comical fashion, essentially mocking the American censorship." :crazy:

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Disgraceful. I'd rather not think about they will do to the main series now, christ.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 pm

At the end of the day, if/when Funi releases these, I just hope Toei provides them with the unedited Amazon/Netflix masters. It's not like there isn't a precedent for this, seeing as we got a different cut of Kai TFC, one lacked digital alterations ( Super Buu's eye color), and one that didn't have edge/sharpness enhancement.

Maybe Toei likes screwing over their domestic audience :lol: .

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Just read about the censorship and the disclaimer...

*Face...freaking...palm*

People seriously need to learn the definition of the word "context". Not only that, but I hear the remastering has gotten worse as well (As bad as movie 5?).

I will be sticking to my Dragon Boxes. Pretty much any and all excitement I had for the TV series getting remastered is completely gone. If Toei can't even be bothered to do the movies properly, what makes anyone think they'll do the much longer (Therefore more expensive and time consuming.) episodic Dragon Ball any better?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Toei gonna Toei.

All we can hope for is that Funimation doesn't have to censor their releases if they ever come. These are not turning out as good as we all thought they would though, the more screenshots that come out, the more issues I have with them.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Damned wrote:Just read about the censorship and the disclaimer...

*Face...freaking...palm*

People seriously need to learn the definition of the word "context". Not only that, but I hear the remastering has gotten worse as well (As bad as movie 5?).

I will be sticking to my Dragon Boxes. Pretty much any and all excitement I had for the TV series getting remastered is completely gone. If Toei can't even be bothered to do the movies properly, what makes anyone think they'll do the much longer (Therefore more expensive and time consuming.) episodic Dragon Ball any better?
Not as bad as 5, take a look at the caps. I think people are being overly dramatic. Is censoring bad yeah but as far as I know only 2 scenes were censored and across 2 movies. Is the remastering as bad as kai 2.0? No, I think people are forgetting what that actually looked like. Is it as good as the Amazon streams though? No, the Amazon streams are better BUT they're not on any level of kais remastering.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Not as bad as 5, take a look at the caps. I think people are being overly dramatic. Is censoring bad yeah but as far as I know only 2 scenes were censored and across 2 movies. Is the remastering as bad as kai 2.0? No, I think people are forgetting what that actually looked like. Is it as good as the Amazon streams though? No, the Amazon streams are better BUT they're not on any level of kais remastering.
Nobody's being overly dramatic. This is censorship of movies that have been consistently released uncut in the past, and not only is censorship itself a huge problem, but it's a largely backwards move by the company that made these films in the first place.

The footage itself is also mangled. Kai TFC had at least great dark details, but these are crushed and overly dark like FUNimation's masters are. These had the same process done, but Kai was on 16mm film and these are on 30mm, so that's the only reason these look better.

But again, the censorship isn't okay just because it was only in two movies, that alone has huge negative implications for any future releases of past Dragon Ball material. These products should be preserved and unaltered, and for Toei to suddenly freak out about "changing standards", to the point of having the same notice that old racist films have, makes me really wonder if there's been a huge and sudden shift in Japan to "cleanse" children's media. I remember when Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans was airing in Japan that someone filed a complaint about the main character shooting a man, when even a decade prior there was Gundam 00 with the protagonist murdering his own parents as a child soldier.

If Japan goes the route of trying to offend as few people as possible, its media is going to start suffering for it like how a majority of American movies, cartoons and comedy have been watered down and homogenized to where big blockbuster movies are super safe in an attempt to not offend anyone, and comedians are scared of offending people.

The worst part of this is that if FUNimation can only release the censored versions and discontinues their Double Features, these shitty censored releases will be the only versions available for purchase. If Toei continues censoring the franchise and FUNimation has to release them in that state, no longer will people be able to purchase the series in its uncensored form unless you can get a used orange brick, and in this event even those might rise in price due to people wanting an uncensored release.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash