Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Doesn't look bad for Dragon Ball home video artwork IMO... :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:04 pm

I think they look fine to be honest. Some of the character designs leave a bit to be desired but overall I like the ominous feel of the black boxes and look forward to displaying them on my shelf.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:01 pm

God, the covers look like shit with "Blu-ray" being in simple red bold text. Otherwise, the covers are really good.

I'll wait and see if FUNimation does their own release of it and then get that.
Robo4900 wrote:I'm incredibly picky about picture quality. :D
But you spend a bit too much time on this website to care *that* much about PQ.
Robo4900 wrote:You mean the capitalisation?
Seems silly to quibble about tbh.
The correct way to spell it is Blu-ray so if you truly want to be precise about video and everything then you'd ought to type it properly, too. In a way, it's kinda annoying like if someone wrote "Dvd" or "DvD" which does happen.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Tbh I really don't care that much about subpar cover art(if Funi gets it, I'm sure they'll have better cover art), all I hope is that they color correct DBZ movies 4 - 7, 9 - 13, and DB movie 4.

Not that I'm really going to listen to it all that much, but it would also be nice if they included high quality stereo audio from the Dragon Box.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:04 pm

DHM211 wrote:Tbh I really don't care that much about subpar cover art(if Funi gets it, I'm sure they'll have better cover art), all I hope is that they color correct DBZ movies 4 - 7, 9 - 13, and DB movie 4.

Not that I'm really going to listen to it all that much, but it would also be nice if they included high quality stereo audio from the Dragon Box.
Might be wrong, but I think the Dragon Box audio is not stereo but still mono. It's just of very high quality.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Big Boss wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Tbh I really don't care that much about subpar cover art(if Funi gets it, I'm sure they'll have better cover art), all I hope is that they color correct DBZ movies 4 - 7, 9 - 13, and DB movie 4.

Might be wrong, but I think the Dragon Box audio is not stereo but still mono. It's just of very high quality.
You're right, my Bad. Although DB movie 4 is stereo.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Just remember that low-fi=/=mono. Mono can be high fidelity. Mono sound just means that all sound comes from one channel. You can make a stereo channel into a mono channel and have the exact same quality.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:02 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I'm incredibly picky about picture quality. :D
But you spend a bit too much time on this website to care *that* much about PQ.
I don't understand you.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:You mean the capitalisation?
Seems silly to quibble about tbh.
The correct way to spell it is Blu-ray so if you truly want to be precise about video and everything then you'd ought to type it properly, too. In a way, it's kinda annoying like if someone wrote "Dvd" or "DvD" which does happen.
Except Dvd and DvD is just stupid. It's initials, and when they eventually came up with some words for the initials to stand for, none of it was particles, so putting random lowercase lettering is just weird. This is a strawman argument at best, really.

Did you quote the "Picky" thing above just to call me out on the fact I capitalised the R in Blu-Ray?
I ask again... Why quibble about this? I feel like there are far more constructive things to discuss here, the capitalisation of "Blu-Ray" really doesn't matter, and I totally fail to see how being "Precise about video and everything" even vaguely relates to this...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Considering the series can't decide if it's Dragon Ball or Dragonball, or Chi-Chi or Chichi, missing a capital R is something I don't think the production team are losing sleep over.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:59 am

Blu-ray = BD = Blu-ray Disc
DVD = Digital Versatile Disc

Blu-Ray or BR are common misspellings, but not really something worth arguing/derailing the thread over.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:40 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:Blu-Ray or BR are common misspellings, but not really something worth arguing/derailing the thread over.
Oh I've seen BD used for Blu-Ray Disc hundreds of times and it never made sense to me, just like GCN and PSX.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:01 am

DHM211 wrote:
Big Boss wrote:

Z Movie 13 is stereo as well.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:DVD = Digital Versatile Disc
Funfact: That didn't used to stand for anything. They came up with what it stands for much later. So, initially it was just DVD. Somewhat like PHP(Which stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor").
KBABZ wrote:Oh I've seen BD used for Blu-Ray Disc hundreds of times and it never made sense to me, just like GCN and PSX.
GCN is because National Geographic Channel had copyrighted NGC in the USA, so Nintendo had to use GCN in the English-speaking world. PSX, I have no clue.
Vegard Aune wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Big Boss wrote:
Z Movie 13 is stereo as well.
Yes. Though I think their stereo mixing was a bit primitive. Some dialogue sounds rather muffled in that movie, certain scenes have it worse than others. But it is indeed undeniably stereo, and particularly in the less-muffled scenes, it's rather excellent-sounding in general.
Funnily enough, Funi's DVD single of Z movie 13 uses a mono downmix of the nice-sounding stereo mix of the movie, but all their later releases use a crappy mono track.

I suppose it is also worth noting that a stereo mix exists of Z movie 11, but it hasn't been on any home video release... It was put out as a drama CD in Japan. The voices and SFX are just double-tracked mono IIRC, but the music was all swapped out for stereo mixes, and it sounds rather good.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote:GCN is because National Geographic Channel had copyrighted NGC in the USA, so Nintendo had to use GCN in the English-speaking world. PSX, I have no clue.
Doing some research, PSX was the original codename for the first PlayStation and it was briefly used in very early US marketing after some initial test group blowback to the name PlayStation. IMO that's like calling the the PS4 Orbis or the Gamecube a Dolphin. And this despite the fact that Sony released a DVR + PS2 combo called the PSX in Japan, not to mention the popular series of American conventions.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 pm

From Toei's Twitter.

This does not look like a cel scan. I would say this is film. I would say that Toei have remastered the Bardock special, and will be showing that version at the cinema screenings happening in the USA. And furthermore, I would say that it is atypical for Toei to release the specials outside of the context of the relevant series... Make of that what you will. :)

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
From Toei's Twitter.

This does not look like a cel scan. I would say this is film. I would say that Toei have remastered the Bardock special, and will be showing that version at the cinema screenings happening in the USA. And furthermore, I would say that it is atypical for Toei to release the specials outside of the context of the relevant series... Make of that what you will. :)
Oh Jesus!

Surely this can only mean...

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 am

Robo4900 wrote:
From Toei's Twitter.

i don't know if movies 8 that aired in us was the Toei remastered one but even if the tv sp that will be on theater in us use the funimation footage , this screenshot is an evidence that Toei have made an HD scan of the tv special 1 (so probably all of them)
i think at the moment, netflix and amazon japan should be checked regularly
but even if it's only a special selection bluray , i think that the rumour about an HD scan of all series should be more taken seriously now anyway i think we will be fixed or in november when the tv sp will air on theater or after the bluray movies will be released anyway the nexts months will be decisive

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
From Toei's Twitter.

i don't know if movies 8 that aired in us was the Toei remastered one but even if the tv sp that will be on theater in us use the funimation footage , this screenshot is an evidence that Toei have made an HD scan of the tv special 1 (so probably all of them)
but even if it's only a special selection bluray , i think that the rumour about an HD scan of all series should be more taken seriously now anyway i think we will be fixed or in november when the tv sp will air on theater or after the bluray movies will be released anyway the nexts months will be decisive
Several users has reported that it was indeed the remastered version, including VegettoEX. He talked about it in a podcast.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 am

sangofe wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
From Toei's Twitter.

Several users has reported that it was indeed the remastered version, including VegettoEX. He talked about it in a podcast.
this shot tweet by Toei is and evidence that Toei is not remastering only the movies and that's a real great things considering how much issues have the dragon box (overbrightness, colors , dark issues etc...)

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I would say that it is atypical for Toei to release the specials outside of the context of the relevant series... Make of that what you will. :)
The original Blu-ray release of the TV specials were tied to the movies, as opposed to the series. I wouldn't call it atypical.