Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Animation errors are part of the product,
So are heavy matte lines, compositing artifacts, etc... They aren't redoing anyting, they are fixing an obvious, minor mistake that doesn't affect the original integrity of the artistic work.
Yeah...when it comes to actual errors, production companies shouldn't be beholden to purists and fanboys if they want to make a product that meets their standards. If they get a chance to fix it, they should.

A lot of movies in the analogue film era have scratches, tears, and stuff that were on the original prints that everyone saw thanks to the physical transportation process. Should they be left as-is just because it was there to begin with? If they're trying to clean it up, no. There's nothing wrong with fixing coloring errors and things of tha nature and labeling it "historical revisionism" is just...absurd on a lot of levels in the context of a home video release of a children's anime.

Hell, fixing production goofs isn't even exclusive to restoration processes...almost every anime these days has errors or particularly bad drawings from the original broadcasts fixed in their home video releases.
I still have too awful of a taste in my mouth from the Boo Saga Kai final chapters revisoning to 16:9 to be able to stomach any further revising of DBZ. Maybe if Kai's horrible revisioning wasn't still so fresh on my mind, but it is. Just let the movie be the movie already.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:35 am

ZodaEX wrote:
I still have too awful of a taste in my mouth from the Boo Saga Kai final chapters revisoning to 16:9 to be able to stomach any further revising of DBZ. Maybe if Kai's horrible revisioning wasn't still so fresh on my mind, but it is. Just let the movie be the movie already.
Kai TFC wasn't very good but I loved Dragon Ball Kai with the original broadcast music, had it been with the Kikuchi score? Only for dubs which didn't receive the Yamamoto score at all.

At least we're able to watch Kai in Japanese w/ the Yamamoto score up to episode 95, the FUNi dub also up to 95 (96-98 custom), BR-PT/MX-ES till episode 17 (or 18) and that's more or less it.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Honestly, I'm over the correcting of animation errors. In fact, now I would have liked to have seen that go all the way with the various coloring errors in movie 12 being fixed, but they didn't do it.

Instead, they put their editing money into shitty censorship. If they wanted to "protect the kids" (which is fucking stupid), the streaming one should have been censored, and these collector's Blu-rays should have been uncut.
AGREED.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:29 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:At least we're able to watch Kai in Japanese w/ the Yamamoto score up to episode 95, the Nicktoons FUNi dub up to ep 63, the uncut FUNi dub up to 52 (plus remade/custom 53-95 & 96-98 respectively), BR-PT/MX-ES till episode 17 (or 18) and that's more or less it.
FTFY, and that doesn't include the moments in the Brazilian dub accidentally included Yamamoto out of sheer incompetence.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:At least we're able to watch Kai in Japanese w/ the Yamamoto score up to episode 95, the FUNi dub also up to 95 (96-98 custom), BR-PT/MX-ES till episode 17 (or 18) and that's more or less it.
Bandeirantes aired Brazilian Kai with the Yamamoto score till episode 54.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 am

gregoryluis09 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:At least we're able to watch Kai in Japanese w/ the Yamamoto score up to episode 95, the FUNi dub also up to 95 (96-98 custom), BR-PT/MX-ES till episode 17 (or 18) and that's more or less it.
Bandeirantes aired Brazilian Kai with the Yamamoto score till episode 54.
That's awesome. The copies I have stopped before the 20ish episodes.

Have to see if I can find those.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 am

Quick question.

Are these available on just amazon.com? Or do I need to go to amazon.jp? (Non Blu-Ray)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 am

Kokonoe wrote:Quick question.

Are these available on just amazon.com? Or do I need to go to amazon.jp? (Non Blu-Ray)
For streaming? Yeah, it has to be the Japanese Amazon.

Though I suggest waiting to see how Funi handles this; I would guess they're going to import this all and put out some kind of 20-movie boxset or something, with the new masters. Whether that means using the Toei BD or streamed versions, we can't know yet.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 am

Robo4900 wrote:

Though I suggest waiting to see how Funi handles this; I would guess they're going to import this all and put out some kind of 20-movie boxset or something, with the new masters. Whether that means using the Toei BD or streamed versions, we can't know yet.
It's entirely possible that FUNi might ask Toei for the Amazon versions only to be rejected access to them and forced to use the Blu-Rays.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:12 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

It's entirely possible that FUNi might ask Toei for the Amazon versions only to be rejected access to them and forced to use the Blu-Rays.
Nah. Toei are never malicious, they're just often quite lazy. They'll give Funi whatever masters are easily available, but if specific masters are asked for, they'll probably at least try to send those along.

Given Toei's history of giving out pre-Dragon Box masters and such to distributors like Funi, I imagine it's entirely possible Funi will get the Amazon masters.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: For streaming? Yeah, it has to be the Japanese Amazon.

Nah. Toei are never malicious, they're just often quite lazy. They'll give Funi whatever masters are easily available, but if specific masters are asked for, they'll probably at least try to send those along.

Given Toei's history of giving out pre-Dragon Box masters and such to distributors like Funi, I imagine it's entirely possible Funi will get the Amazon masters.
Of course, and given their long track record of providing multi generation masters of questionable, less than pristine quality to other companies licensing the series for distribution i wouldn't be too surprised honestly if the streaming versions are indeed the ones they give to FUNimation and not the edited BD masters.

I think them giving FUNi the Dragon Box Z masters back when is one of the few times they have diverged from that, of course even then they weren't the exact 1:1 versions that were used on the original Japanese Dragon Boxes and individual discs.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Nah. Toei are never malicious, they're just often quite lazy. They'll give Funi whatever masters are easily available, but if specific masters are asked for, they'll probably at least try to send those along.

Oooo, that sounds promising! Assuming FUNi asks, which if they've kept an eye out here at least they should know which ones to go for.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Personally I won't buy any future releases of these masters Funimation puts out unless we have confirmation they are the Amazon masters.

I'd gladly live with the double features if it meant TOEI weren't kept given the message its ok to do this, so fingers crossed.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:56 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Personally I won't buy any future releases of these masters Funimation puts out unless we have confirmation they are the Amazon masters.

I'd gladly live with the double features if it meant TOEI weren't kept given the message its ok to do this, so fingers crossed.
That's unlikely. It'll probably be the Blu-ray version but uncut.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Personally I won't buy any future releases of these masters Funimation puts out unless we have confirmation they are the Amazon masters.

It will be the amazon masters but with the funi automated dnr and contrast set to 1000 :^)))
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:42 pm

jaisonas wrote:

It will be the amazon masters but with the funi automated dnr and contrast set to 1000 :^)))
I shudder to think of that, as in worse than even the Season Two orange brick. :shock:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm

jaisonas wrote:

Oh, the ever so loved FUNimation Remasters. xD

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

If they use the BD version of these masters, they will be the exact masters we saw on the BDs, censorship and all.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 am

Robo4900 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

If they use the BD version of these masters, they will be the exact masters we saw on the BDs, censorship and all.
Not necessarily, the Fathom events showing of Fusion Reborn had DNR and digital sharpening applied but the middle finger was left intact.