Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by ErikB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 pm

So, can we be totally sure that Funimation will produce a domestic release? It seemed like a given at first, but after considering their history with Dragon Ball releases; particularly their retroactive "limited release" attitude to the Dragon Boxes; I'm less confident. Given that I'm already familiar with the movies (and in the process of slowly learning Japanese), I'm starting to lean towards importing Toei's releases rather than holding my breath for Funimation.

professorwho

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by professorwho » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:20 pm

DHM211 wrote:But instead, you decided to Japanese Kai Buu saga massacre this release by DVNRing it and Sharping it.
I know what they did with Boo Kai, but you put "Japanese" there to differentiate it. While the contents are different (more episodes in TFC), was there any visual difference to make you say that specifically?

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Honestly the only movie that looks funky to me is movie 5. Movie 6 to me looks real good.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:00 pm

professorwho wrote:
DHM211 wrote:But instead, you decided to Japanese Kai Buu saga massacre this release by DVNRing it and Sharping it.
I know what they did with Boo Kai, but you put "Japanese" there to differentiate it. While the contents are different (more episodes in TFC), was there any visual difference to make you say that specifically?
Yeah, the Japanese version was horrendously sharpened. I actually think the international Kai TFC, with the green tint removed, is quite decent.

Japanese Kai TFC:

International Kai TFC (Color Corrected):

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 pm

A preview of things to come??? Probably not.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:These are from Movie 5, I don't think it looks as good as the other ones.
Damn those do look horrible. Does anyone with a copy of the Amazon rip of this movie know how it compares to this?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
sangofe wrote:No wonder... Toei will always remain cheap...
Robo4900 wrote:So, it looks like the BDs are DNR'd and sharpened. So, the Amazon rips are actually somewhat superior. Great job, Toei. :roll:
DHM211 wrote:God damn it Toei, you almost gave us a perfect DB release. All you had to do was color correct a few films for their blu-ray release and everything would have been perfect. But instead, you decided to Japanese Kai Buu saga massacre this release by DVNRing it and Sharping it.
Come on, dudes. At least it's way better than FUNimation's remasters and actually looks pretty darn good so even though they kinda fucked up, it's not that bad. I'm just going to wait for FUNimation to release it with English subs on Blu-ray.
Personally I'm just happy that there's no double-standard going on where people give Toei a free pass because they aren't FUNimation. They're screwing up here and are rightfully being called out for it.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 am

Realistically do we really need to expect Toei to DVNR the rumored Z series remaster? I feel like if they were going to DVNR the show then they would have done so with Kai first off. I don't believe they even did it with Boo Kai, at least the international (original) version. The movies are sad to see they were messed with like they were, but I feel like we might have a good shot at just a good remaster of Z without any DVNR based off of Toei's work on Kai.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:20 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I feel like if they were going to DVNR the show then they would have done so with Kai first off.
Kai episodes 1-98 actually do have DVNR on them, so the idea of DB/Z/GT getting some kind of DVNR treatment for the possible upcoming HD versions isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility (now granted Kai 1-98 were actually remastered by Q-tec whereas the Buu saga portion of Kai was remastered in-house at Toei and in fairness Q-tec's DVNR results for those first 98 episodes aren't nearly as bad as FUNi's DVNR nonsense, but nonetheless DVNR is present on those episodes), ideally I would hope that Toei simply scans the original film negatives, clean all of the film damage up and color correct the footage with no DVNR applied whatsoever, but until we see exactly what Toei is doing with the footage when it comes out (assuming it does), there's no real way of knowing if these possible new HD remasters of the series are going to have any kind of DVNR on them or not (I hope they don't).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:29 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Realistically do we really need to expect Toei to DVNR the rumored Z series remaster? I feel like if they were going to DVNR the show then they would have done so with Kai first off. I don't believe they even did it with Boo Kai, at least the international (original) version. The movies are sad to see they were messed with like they were, but I feel like we might have a good shot at just a good remaster of Z without any DVNR based off of Toei's work on Kai.
I think there's a lot more than a possibility that they would seriously consider "punching-up" the image to a significant degree. Toei's been shown many times in the past to pay close attention to what the fanbase at large is interested in, and the overly sharp "Remasterd" look seems to be really, really popular with the masses. Toei even added a filter on Super's last arc to make the picture appear more like what people consider to be the ideal look for Dragon Ball. And in the case of Boo Kai, they actually add a fuck tonne of DVNR and stuff, it doesn't look ideal at all. The original Kai was made before the Funimation "Remastered"-esque look was well-established, so I'm not exactly excited for what Toei might pull with a new release of the series...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:31 am

So, Toei had perfect masters that were used for streaming, but they ended up deciding to smear them for the BD release? The streaming versions looked absolutely perfect, except for the color casts, which this still has anyway.

Did anyone who saw movie 8 or the Bardock/Fusion double feature in theaters notice if there was prominent grain? If so, there's hope for a potential grain-intact BD from FUNimation down the line.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:40 am

Metalwario64 wrote:there's hope for a potential grain-intact BD from FUNimation down the line.
I'm sorry but LOL :lol: . Funimation and grain are not words that go on the same sentence.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:51 am

jaisonas wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:there's hope for a potential grain-intact BD from FUNimation down the line.
I'm sorry but LOL :lol: . Funimation and grain are not words that go on the same sentence.
Maybe if we count the level sets, but sure we all know what happened there :roll:.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:10 am

Sorry, couldn't help it. xD
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Maybe if we count the level sets, but sure we all know what happened there :roll:.
The only Dragon Ball remasters they did alright were the DBZ UUE, GT Bricks, DB Bricks, DBZ Level Blu-rays and the DB Movies 1, 3 and 4 in high definition (which they never actually bothered to release it on Blu-ray themselves). However, the rest of FUNimation's remasters are a pile of garbage.

I mean, the Double Features are OK as in, just watchable but the experience worsens if you try to watch it with the Japanese audio as it's extremely muffled up (at least 12 and 13). FUNi had a crystal clear Japanese audio copy for Movie 13 and they used one of the shittiest versions they possibly could.

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:37 am

Metalwario64 wrote:If so, there's hope for a potential grain-intact BD from FUNimation down the line.
This is the same company who took Sunrise’s beautiful Cowboy Bebop remaster and DNR’d it- removed ALL the grain, then smeared it, removing the detail, and THEN- applied a shitload of fake grain. They’re utter idiots.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:51 am

Metalwario64 wrote:So, Toei had perfect masters that were used for streaming, but they ended up deciding to smear them for the BD release? The streaming versions looked absolutely perfect, except for the color casts, which this still has anyway.

Did anyone who saw movie 8 or the Bardock/Fusion double feature in theaters notice if there was prominent grain? If so, there's hope for a potential grain-intact BD from FUNimation down the line.
Movies 1-4 look amazing, the best dragon ball has ever looked. So far the only movie to suffer from this is movie 5, movie 6 to me at least still looks very good.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:00 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:The only Dragon Ball remasters they did alright were the DBZ UUE, GT Bricks, DB Bricks, DBZ Level Blu-rays and the DB Movies 1, 3 and 4 in high definition (which they never actually bothered to release it on Blu-ray themselves). However, the rest of FUNimation's remasters are a pile of garbage.
Nah the GT and DB Bricks are pure trash. Just stupid filtering applied to their digibeta masters (which looked perfectly fine already).

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 am

I'm not gonna lie, I think the Blu-Rays look better than the Amazon rips. Listen, I understand wanting things to look filmic, but I just don't understand how you can prefer the compressed and macroblocked Amazon masters because "muh film grain".
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I think the Blu-Rays look better than the Amazon rips. Listen, I understand wanting things to look filmic, but I just don't understand how you can prefer the compressed and macroblocked Amazon masters because "muh film grain".
I'm not really concerned with the film grain, i only hate the bad sharpening they use and the rainbowing effect it produces.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:56 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I think the Blu-Rays look better than the Amazon rips. Listen, I understand wanting things to look filmic, but I just don't understand how you can prefer the compressed and macroblocked Amazon masters because "muh film grain".
Blu-ray:
Amazon (CC):
I'll live with a little bit of compression.