Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:19 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:FUNi had no choice in the matter as it was Toei who opted to make TFC widescreen in every iteration.
Well, but France (Kazé or AB, dunno) got the series in 16x9 AR on Blu-ray and DVD. FUNimation could have perhaps done the same but I'm glad it has the Yamamoto score up until episode 52 rather than the Kikuchi score from start to finish.
Is the widescreen crop a general one like Orange Brick or is it per-shot like TFC?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm

KBABZ wrote:Is the widescreen crop a general one like Orange Brick or is it per-shot like TFC?
TOEI did a fantastic job cropping Kai to 16x9 AR back then in 2009, but the cropping of Dragon Ball Kai TFC (2014) had questionable choices done to it. Not to forget the green tint and the wacky Sumitomo music. Although, comparing Kai TFC cropping vs the Orange Bricks / Season Blu-rays, it's definitely much better!

Nah, I don't hate Sumitomo, but his Kai TFC music wasn't very good, imo.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Is the widescreen crop a general one like Orange Brick or is it per-shot like TFC?
TOEI did a fantastic job cropping Kai to 16x9 AR back then in 2009, but the cropping of Dragon Ball Kai TFC (2014) had questionable choices done to it. Not to forget the green tint and the wacky Sumitomo music. Although, comparing Kai TFC cropping vs the Orange Bricks / Season Blu-rays, it's definitely much better!

Nah, I don't hate Sumitomo, but his Kai TFC music wasn't very good, imo.
TBH I really liked most of his Kai TFC work, but whoever was in charge of placing it didn’t know what they were doing 35% of the time.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:the 35mm Namek episodes.
My GOD those episodes look so good!
Didnt know there were 35mm episodes :o
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:38 pm

jaisonas wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:the 35mm Namek episodes.
My GOD those episodes look so good!
Yeah, i heard that during the original production of the show that apparently Toei decided to master those episodes onto 35mm film rather than the usual 16mm prints that pretty much most of the rest of the episodes were placed onto.

They do look distinctly different from the others due to this.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
jaisonas wrote:
KBABZ wrote: My GOD those episodes look so good!
Yeah, i heard that during the original production of the show that apparently Toei decided to master those episodes onto 35mm film rather than the usual 16mm prints that pretty much most of the rest of the episodes were placed onto.

Here's my go-to example:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
jaisonas wrote: Didnt know there were 35mm episodes :o

Here's my go-to example:
I can tell especially on my Dragon Boxes how different the color cast and other things are compared to the standard 16mm of the other episodes.

Maybe it was a case of just whatever film stock that Toei had on hand when that particular set of episodes were being animated back in the day.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Yeah, i heard that during the original production of the show that apparently Toei decided to master those episodes onto 35mm film rather than the usual 16mm prints that pretty much most of the rest of the episodes were placed onto.
Here's my go-to example:
I can tell especially on my Dragon Boxes how different the color cast and other things are compared to the standard 16mm of the other episodes.

Maybe it was a case of just whatever film stock that Toei had on hand when that particular set of episodes were being animated back in the day.
Maybe they had some spare left over from Tree of Might?

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
jaisonas wrote: Didnt know there were 35mm episodes :o

Here's my go-to example:
Oh damn! I never noticed it!
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Here's my go-to example:

Maybe they had some spare left over from Tree of Might?
Could be, i wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm

jaisonas wrote:Oh damn! I never noticed it!
It's strange to say but when you can see holes in the lineart, that's when you're on 35mm. It's such a shame that Super often didn't look anything like this.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 am

What shows more of the picture, kai or dragon box?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:29 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:What shows more of the picture, kai or dragon box?
Hmm, that's a good question. I have the OG Dragon Box and the early episodes are SUPER zoomed out to the point you can see the rounded corners of the film cells, but then about six episodes in it starts being more reasonable.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 am

KBABZ wrote:
Hmm, that's a good question. I have the OG Dragon Box and the early episodes are SUPER zoomed out to the point you can see the rounded corners of the film cells, but then about six episodes in it starts being more reasonable.
I did some comparison
Base photo R2 Dragon Box Red box: Funi Kai DVD Pink Box: Japanese Kai DVD

Then to show how the 16x9 Kai is cropped

If anyone got an orange Brick and/or bluray of this shot to compare the cropping
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 am

Dragon Ball = Dragon Ball: Dragon Box
Dragon Ball Z = Dragon Ball Kai
KBABZ wrote:Hmm, that's a good question. I have the OG Dragon Box and the early episodes are SUPER zoomed out to the point you can see the rounded corners of the film cells, but then about six episodes in it starts being more reasonable.
All Dragon Boxes released were "OG", but I suppose there might have been some bootleg Dragon Boxes out in the wild (somewhere in Hong Kong, I guess), too. Although I suspect you meant the Dragon Ball: Dragon Box, I don't know why fans on this website have such a hard time just writing Dragon Ball instead of "OG" or "DB OG" those terms are more vague than calling the show by what it is, Dragon Ball.

I'm not sure who'd get confused here. There's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters and Dragon Ball Super. Dunno if Super Dragon Ball Heroes should be included as a series but likely not, it's just an 8min anime promo for the Heroes card game.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:All Dragon Boxes released were "OG", but I suppose there might have been some bootleg Dragon Boxes out in the wild (somewhere in Hong Kong, I guess), too. Although I suspect you meant the Dragon Ball: Dragon Box, I don't know why fans on this website have such a hard time just writing Dragon Ball instead of "OG" or "DB OG" those terms are more vague than calling the show by what it is, Dragon Ball.
Yeah, I was referring to the original. I feel I have to put OG there in this instance because around here, when most people say "the Dragon Box" they are 90% of the time referring to what's officially called "Dragon Box Z", which is paired with "Dragon Box GT" and "Dragon Box The Movies", while the original anime's release is called "Dragon Box". So you can see why the clarification has to come into play: putting OG makes it clear I'm talking about my beloved original Dragon Ball anime. There's a similar problem when I say "the anime" or "the show" because of how much people talk about and focus on just Z. Those terms are pe-loaded and I can't just say "DB" out of context either because that's the name of the franchise itself.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Honestly, I'm over the correcting of animation errors. In fact, now I would have liked to have seen that go all the way with the various coloring errors in movie 12 being fixed, but they didn't do it.

Instead, they put their editing money into shitty censorship. If they wanted to "protect the kids" (which is fucking stupid), the streaming one should have been censored, and these collector's Blu-rays should have been uncut.
Last month Banpresto produced full colour t shirts in December for gamestations around Japan...they were adult sized. Yet Toei censored what ¥5000+ BDs of old movies because of kids. DB is not for kids anymore but when you lie so much you think it's truth. Sure kids may still watch and enjoy it but they aren't as important as that adult/teen demo.

Not only have the likes of Bandai realised this but it is why they keep trying to market SDBH towards the main series non-kid audience (and it keeps failing). But Toei keep living in this protective bubble they made for themselves.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 pm

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:37 pm

So far they've remastered:

Dragon Ball - Movie 1
Dragon Ball - Movie 2
Dragon Ball - Movie 3
Dragon Ball - Movie 4

Dragon Ball Z - Movie 01
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 02
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 03
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 04
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 05
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 06
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 07
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 08
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 09
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 10
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 11
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 12
Dragon Ball Z - Movie 13

Dragon Ball Z - TV Special 1
Dragon Ball Z - TV Special 2

This is pretty exciting because this kind of looks like TOEI is gearing up to announce their remaster of Dragon Ball Z. Even if it's DNR'd I wouldn't mind because they know how to keep it balanced without fucking it up (FUNimation sure knows a lot about butchering Dragon Ball Z releases).

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:40 am

So I think the best quality release of Dragon Ball animations:

TV Series:
Dragon Ball - Dragon Box + Broadcast Audio (1-7, 12, 25-27, 29-30, 33, 36-37, 40-41, 47-48, 153)
Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Box + Broadcast Audio
Dragon Ball GT - Dragon Box + Broadcast Audio
Dragon Ball Kai - Japanese BD (1-76 Yamamoto Score Edition, 77-95 Broadcast Audio)
Dragon Ball Super - Japanese BD

Movies:
Dragon Ball Movie 1-17 - Amazon Web-DL + Japanese BD Audio
Dragon Ball Movie 18-20 - Japanese BD (Extended Edition of Battle of Gods)

TV Specials:
Dragon Ball Z TV Special 1 - Animax rip patched with GYAO Web-DL + Broadcast Audio
Dragon Ball Z TV Special 2 - GYAO Web-DL + Broadcast Audio
Dragon Ball GT TV Special - Dragon Box + Broadcast Audio

Festival Features:
Dragon Ball "Jump Super Anime Tour 2008" Special - Japanese DVD
Dragon Ball "Jump Festa 2012" Special - French BD

Video Game Features:
"Dragon Ball Z Gaiden" Official Visual Guide - Dragon Box
"Dragon Ball Raging Blast" 2 Special Feature - French BD

Public Service Videos:
Dragon Ball Public Service Videos - Dragon Box