Who do you think are Toriyama's least favorite characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Who do you think are Toriyama's least favorite characters?

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:08 pm

We have a Discussion about our least favorite characters, so now I am wondering who do you think its Akira Toriyama's (You can include Toyotaro and Toei) least favorite characters. He may had said something like that but that could change or was never true. You can base it on how the characters are portrayed or how much they are used in the newer material. Also remember not to get too extreme to the point you insult him. He may not read this anyways, but it is not nice to belittle people.
Note: The spoiler below includes Dragon Ball Super material and if you are watching the English Dub avoid it.
[spoiler]I won't list Yamcha because he is my favorite character, so its obvious I will speak a lot about him. I will be saving a topic for him maybe weeks or months later.
My list, not on order:
1. Tien: I based it on his treatment in Tournament of Power. I can see that Toriyama prefers to use him over other characters maybe because he has some unexplained fondness of him or because of his unique moveset, but other than that his performance is poor in the Manga because he was less important in it. Also in the show, he was overshadowed by Goku and Vegeta and even Master Roshi (someone who caused great controversy) in all episodeds that were supposed to be about him. Tien's spotlight is easily taken over by other characters and people may blame it on the fact that he is "boring" in personality but this only happened because no one gives him enough spotlight to give him any qualities.
2. Goten: Rumor has it that he was intended to replace Goku. He did not replaced him but he seemed to have an identity of his own in the Majin Buu Saga but he became less than a character in Dragon Ball Super to the point he only appears when Trunks wants to talk with him or to become Gotenks. He has hints of becoming mature but that's about it. He is underused and this causes me to think Akira Toriyama regrets Goten's existence. The fact that Gotenks is more used than Goten alone is insulting as well.
3.Majin Buu: The pink blob was more relevant in his own story arc but after that he is continously avoided by Toriyama and/or Toei. This is more because of his conflict solving abilities of his and less of his personality. Majin Buu always finds a reason to avoid participating in a main fight because he had been sleeping through the whole show ever since he fought Beerus. If Dragon Ball Super continues or a new show is aired, we may not see Majin Buu fight Frieza or a bad guy if he keeps sleeping. It makes me wonder what's the point of keeping him if no one uses him.
4.Chiaotzu: Like Tien, he is underused because he is "empty", Unlike Tien. He is more "blank" both figuretavily and literally. And this is because he is demoted to a background character. Even Goku hardly notices his existence and didn't even considered him for the Tournament of Power when he was close to him. Its like he just disappeared after killing Nappa and Tien and some people are pretending he is still alive and this kind of depressing. :(
5. Puar: Puar's problem is that s/he is ignored by Dragon Ball Staff because s/he only appears when Yamcha is around and we all know how underused is Yamcha. This is probably based more in indifference than actual hatred to the character.
6.Chichi: Unlike the other characters listed and not listed here, she is the only character I know that is confirmed to be disliked by Toriyama and this is probably because he didn't like her personality and the fact that he claims to not know how to make emotional moments, the only way Chichi could show her sweet side.[/spoiler]

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Re: Who do you think its Toriyama's Unfavorite Characters? Be Respectful.

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Homeboy Vegeta

GT Fighter

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Bacterian, possibly Piano or Tambourine.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 pm

I'd have to say Tien as he always seems to get the short end of the stick which is saying a lot cause anyone besides Vegeta and Trunks seem to be getting the short end of the stick lately.
GT_Goten10 wrote:Homeboy Vegeta

:lol:Even Vegeta didn't like himself during that odd period.:lol:

I'm really happy Toriyama gave Vegeta the spotlight he deserved ever since he came back with BOG as GT really dropped the ball with him so it would've been disappointing (it was before 2013) for GT to be the last thing we remembered of him. Vegeta's fans have so much to be happy about and to look forward to.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

CaroKami

Post by CaroKami » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:32 pm

With Tenshinhan, I feel Toriyama just finds him rather boring, as do I, but not his least favorite character since he does treat his character with respect most of the time.

I saw this topic and initially wanted to say Chi-Chi, but the more I think about it, it has to be Chiaotzu. For his entire existence, Toriyama has never treated his character with any kind of respect at all. Outside of his fight with Kuririn in the 22nd tournament, he does nothing of any consequence for the rest of the series. He's immediately killed by Piccolo Daimao, he's taken out by Tao Pai Pai in the preliminaries of the 23rd Tournament offscreen, when it's his turn to fight in the Saiyan battle, he immediately commits suicide, aaaaaaaand that's it. Yes, he's not a main character and much isn't expected of him anyway, but he does NOTHING. Outside of the initial arc he appears in, he doesn't have any interesting dialogue with any of the characters, not a single cool fighting moment, nothing to make you feel any type of way about his character.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:34 pm

sintzu wrote:I'd have to say Tien as he always seems to get the short end of the stick which is saying a lot cause anyone besides Vegeta and Trunks seem to be getting the short end of the stick lately.
GT_Goten10 wrote:Homeboy Vegeta

:lol:Even Vegeta didn't like himself during that odd period.:lol:

I'm really happy Toriyama gave Vegeta the spotlight he deserved ever since he came back with BOG as GT really dropped the ball with him so it would've been disappointing (it was before 2013) for GT to be the last thing we remembered of him. Vegeta's fans have so much to be happy about and to look forward to.
I can absolutly understand you I love Vegeta as a Character in GT but GT could definitely give him a lot more Shine ...this is one of my few arguments against GT Super did a lot better with Vegeta(as a Fighter not as a character)
GT Fighter

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 pm

1. Human characters except Krillin

2. Good Boo (cuz all he does is sleeping lol)

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Vijay wrote:1. Human characters except Krillin

Yeah Good Buu forsure. He was omitted from the tournament of power and didn't appear in RoF and likely wont appear in this upcoming film
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 pm

I think it's naïve to think that just because they aren't the heroes and front and center, Toriyama doesn't like those characters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Vijay wrote:1. Human characters except Krillin

Yeah Good Buu forsure. He was omitted from the tournament of power and didn't appear in RoF and likely wont appear in this upcoming film
Majin Boo had a good in his Arc in Z. We got some terrific versions of Boo like Super Boo, Bootenks, Kid Boo etc

Good Boo certainly could've been used/developed more. Give him some adventure or journey. Or some events in the past...

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 am

ChiChi is the only charater that comes to mind. He even said in an interview that he's not a fan of her.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am

Cell, for having too many spots.

And I'm serious about this.

Spider-Man
Regular

Re: Who do you think are Toriyama's least favorite characters?

Post by Spider-Man » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Cell: Toriyama was having a hard time drawing him.
    Fat Buu: He end up sleeping for the most part in Super.

Waluigiman
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 pm

ABED wrote:I think it's naïve to think that just because they aren't the heroes and front and center, Toriyama doesn't like those characters.
    Sure but no need to imply we are naive. That also does not neceserally mean they shouldn't get good moments.

ABED
    Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 am

Waluigiman wrote:
    ABED wrote:I think it's naïve to think that just because they aren't the heroes and front and center, Toriyama doesn't like those characters.
    Sure but no need to imply we are naive. That also does not neceserally mean they shouldn't get good moments.
    Sorry if that's how you took my statement. I don't think you are naïve, but I do think it's naïve a naïve position to take. There can be numerous reasons why even a character the author likes doesn't get as much focus. Perhaps he couldn't figure out organic ways to integrate a character into the story.
    The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
    Happiness is climate, not weather.

Waluigiman
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:40 am

ABED wrote:
    Waluigiman wrote:
    Sorry if that's how you took my statement. I don't think you are naïve, but I do think it's naïve a naïve position to take. There can be numerous reasons why even a character the author likes doesn't get as much focus. Perhaps he couldn't figure out organic ways to integrate a character into the story.
    I know. but that won't happen if there is no try. That is if my statement is true that Toriyama or the staff haven't tried to do something with their stablished characters beyond their introduction.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 am

I don't think Toriyama has characters he necessarily dislikes, but more-so has characters that he can't really think of a way to involve in the plot that would interest him personally, so he just doesn't use them.

Dragono
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I don't think Toriyama has characters he necessarily dislikes, but more-so has characters that he can't really think of a way to involve in the plot that would interest him personally, so he just doesn't use them.
    Tournament of power has shown me why he retired some of these guys and hwy conception potential doesn't equal execution ability..

coola
    I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:09 pm

I wonder why Toriyama decided to bring Tien back in Super? His recruit episode had him getting butt kicked by Roshi, and even in ToP he was pathetic. Chiaotzu - no comments, Goku never talked to him even once, Toriyama clearly had no idea what to do with him after 22nd Budokai
    My Twitter: @kamil198811
    Bulma fan
    Thanks to Discotek:
    Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
    Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

90sDBZ
    I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Launch as she was the only member of the main cast he forgot about for the majority of the Z era. Even the others like Yamcha, Chiaotzu, and Yajirobe still actually appeared while Launch practically no longer existed.